2016 NFL Official Hawk Draft Day Thread.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: 2016 NFL Official Hawk Draft Day Thread.

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:12 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-OIn7BLfUOY

Good watch. Guys "slippery" and fast. He dances a little to much for my liking and has a narrow upright base ( needs to also lower his pad level when facing contract).

Normally his pad level is terrific, it's always listed as a strength....
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:15 pm

I tried to copy a link to Chris Johnson's ECU college highlights, but for some reason couldn't on my phone. His running style sure reminds me of him quite a bit ( if some one can post that link you'll see what I mean).

Edit: got it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPmFGOiHlqM
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:32 pm

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1984251

Road grader?? Still expect one more interior lineman...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Then why take the first RB? This gives us 5 RB's right? Rawls, Christian, new guy, and these 2. Maybe we can make an OL out of one of them.
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:55 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Westerman, Dahl and Haeg might ALL be available at the end of the fifth. I expect them to take one more lineman...

Wrong
obiken
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm

We'll get one in the eighth round (undrafted) that will make the team and play for sure, even if we don't draft another one.
For me, I'm still holding out hope for Cajuste and Freeney. COME ON!
monkey
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:05 pm

Just a humble reminder that I and everyone else can be wrong!

Here is the workup on Aaron Curry. Taken #4 by us in 09. Kiper, McShay, EVERYBODY. CANT MISS prospect. Trouble is, He had a body like Tarzan, played like Jane.

Positives: Strongly-built with long arms to keep himself off offensive linemen when playing against the run. Very smooth in pass drops, staying low in his backpedal and getting into depth at the proper angles. Good hands for the interception, and can break up passes using his hands or a big hit over the middle. Plays the nine-technique very well, ripping off the tackle's block and getting to the ballcarrier on inside and outside runs. Also closes on the ball quickly when playing in the stack. Able to shed blocks and go through backs on blitzes. Will pop the fullback and create a pile to stuff inside runs. Shows good awareness on misdirection, quickly diagnosing plays and affecting the success of the play. Gets a lot of attention from opponents on special teams because of his size, speed and aggressiveness in kick return coverage.
Negatives: A bit stiff in the upper body, he tends to succeed most in straight-line situations rather than changing directions quickly. Can get to the quarterback on the blitz but doesn't always make the play. Doesn't explode into tackles consistently, using his long arms to try and wrap up.
obiken
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:06 pm

obiken wrote:
Wrong

Close though, All of those guys went just before we picked. Green Bay had the draft I thought the Seahawks were going to have, not surprising since they drafted just ahead of us.
It happens...sometimes you miss out, but you can bet they would have taken one of them if they were still there.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Want to get REALLY jacked up?
Watch this Area scout Jim Nagy talking about Jarran Reed. http://www.seahawks.com/video/2016/04/29/jim-nagy-draft-day-2-press-conference
This scout couldn't have been more sold on him.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Ho1 There we go!!
Joey Hunt Center TCU!!!
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:19 pm

I can live with being off. Doesn't offend me in the least. I trust the guys getting paid to evaluate the talent, to do just that, and your example ( Curry) is a PRIME example of why mocks, grades, experts and fans that hold to them at all costs don't know jack.

The Curry draft is the LAST draft I put ANY stock in experts, draft analysts or fretted over my team not taking a guy "rated higher"... Was high fiving with friends and relatives for getting the "best player in the draft"... Truth is, I don't know, nor do they, or you, or anyone else what that player will do, or how well under the coaches in place ( which makes this consistent worrying pointless and silly)
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Teams that had outstanding drafts.
Jaguars, Ravens, Packers. Ravens draft is SO impressive!
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:22 pm

One more interior lineman, there you go. 7 offensive line picks in two years ( plus an UDFA starting tackle)...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Totally OK with a 6th round center
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:26 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Totally OK with a 6th round center

Yeah, and Hunt projects as a ZBS center very well. Good pick. Probably won't start for a year, but I can guarantee he'll at least PUSH Lewis, give him a real run for that spot.
Apparently the reason Travis Feeney has dropped so much? Shoulder surgery, looks like he'll go undrafted completely. Ten bucks says he ends up here in Seattle.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Here's some video from the Pats on this last pick.
http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/02/10/2016-draft-prospects-joey-hunt-c-tcu

He's been projected to go to a ZBS team from day one. I like this pick a lot.

Edit: Poop! There goes Feeney.
Last edited by monkey on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:31 pm

If Cajuste goes there as well you better believe Douggie B will be making a phone call... Excellent blocker with good size for the redzone would be a nice addition at the back end of the receiver core, or as an eventual replacement for Richardson ( if he can't come back) Kearse our even Baldwin if he can't come to terms with Seattle. Being able to block well it's a necessity for receivers in Seattle, as well as sacrificing some stats..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:34 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:If Cajuste goes there as well you better believe Douggie B will be making a phone call... Excellent blocker with good size for the redzone would be a nice addition at the back end of the receiver core, or as an eventual replacement for Richardson ( if he can't come back) Kearse our even Baldwin if he can't come to terms with Seattle. Being able to block well it's a necessity for receivers in Seattle, as well as sacrificing some stats..

I could see the Seahawks getting him as undrafted to pair with his also undrafted buddy. The chips...oh man those chips on their shoulders!
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:42 pm

I'll be, I had no idea.
https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/726522023350919168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Nice to know about Hunt. His only knock is that he's undersized. Aside from that, he's a VERY natural center. Similar to what people said about Russell Wilson, if he were just two inches taller, he'd be a top ranked center. Comes from an offense with a QB that plays like RW. Always moving, hard to block for.

EDIT: OBS I din't know you posted over at Seahawksdraftblog, and I certainly didn't know you had seen Hunt play.
You should tell people here what you saw! I want that insider knowledge, I've just watched tape.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 pm

This is HILARIOUS!!
https://twitter.com/EvanonFG/status/726261128322379776

Apparently wearing Mariners gear well before the draft is code for "I'm about to be drafted by the Seahawks.
Two guys twitter pics pimping Mariners gear, getting drafted by us? What're the odds?
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Kenny Lawler Cal WR
He was Goff's favorite target, for a reason. The kid can play.
This is a very good pick IMO.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:24 pm

OH MAN!!!
Zac Brooks RB Clemson.
Wow...this is a TERRIFIC pick this late! Seriously.
Wave buh bye to C. Michaels, he's done been REPLACED!

Now onto the 8th round, the round where the Seahawks have been better than any other NFL team BY FAR.
I see SO MANY players who could make this team and play that haven't been drafted. I can't wait to see who we get undrafted.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Not sold on drafting 3 RBs out of 9 picks, regardless of the quality of the back. Basically drafted 2 backs that will be cut ( though maybe they can sneak one onto the PS). Guess that's why I'm not a GM.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 pm

RBs make goot special teamers.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:39 pm

Here's how I see Lawler.
Normally any time that a WR whose QB goes #1 overall in the draft, and who was that QB's number one target, is going to get drafted fairly early. In Lawler's case, the ONLY reason that he fell is because he had some notable drops in a couple of big games. Part of the reason for that though, is those drops came from trying to make difficult catches. Something he is very able to do. He has a HUGE catch radius, and is terrific high pointing the ball. Normally his drops all come from trying to make circus catches. They're the types of drops you really shouldn't knock a WR for, but scouts did just that for some reason.

NFL comparison?
Jermain Kearse! Seriously, this guy is a two inches taller, and a little skinnier version of our very own Chop Chop, except with a much bigger catch radius.
His play is eerily reminiscent of him.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Some guys I would like to see the Hawks pursue in the eighth round.
Keyarris Garrett WR Tulsa.
Devon Cajuste (please!) WR Stanford Easily my favorite player left. Love this kid.
Jack Allen, center Michigan state A high motor, angry attitude guy I like a lot
Glen Gronkowski (yes the brother of that Gronkowski) FB Northwestern He's a guy who could play right away, good hands,
Ben Braunecker TE Harvard
I believe Jaydon Mickens is still out there as well? WR Washington, dude can play.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Where's Anthony so I can complain about spending "all the capital on just offense"? :lol:

7 out of 9 on offense with both picks on D coming at the same position....

( by the by that's 8 offensive lineman either drafted or signed in the last two drafts and doesn't include Britt. 4 drafted one signed last season, 3 drafted this year. 3 of 5 first round picks since Carroll arrived on offensive lineman, etc. Just a little proactive heads up to those continuing to claim they don't expend draft capitol on offensive line...)
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Old but Slow wrote: Someone reported that he was the top pass blocking center in college football.

Yup, that's true he was. He's a terrific pass blocker. I think the size you've got him listed at is wrong though, he's consistently been knocked for being too small. It's why he dropped. I've seen him listed at 6'2" but usually listed at 6'0". I think his TCU bio is wrong, (probably intentionally).
Still, who cares? Another guy with a chip for being too small. Me LIKEY!
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:06 pm

monkey wrote:Some guys I would like to see the Hawks pursue in the eighth round.
Keyarris Garrett WR Tulsa.
Devon Cajuste (please!) WR Stanford Easily my favorite player left. Love this kid.
Jack Allen, center Michigan state A high motor, angry attitude guy I like a lot
Glen Gronkowski (yes the brother of that Gronkowski) FB Northwestern He's a guy who could play right away, good hands,
Ben Braunecker TE Harvard
I believe Jaydon Mickens is still out there as well? WR Washington, dude can play.

I actually assumed I had missed Gronkowski being drafted and believed that was a reason Seattle didn't select him in the 7th round ( instead of yet another RB). Personally I would have much preferred a FB that could block, catch passes and was athletic to a third RB with that final pick...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:11 pm

BTW Thanks OBS, it's nice to get your view as someone who saw him play live.
Also, I just wanted to say this about our last RB taken, Zac Brooks, (who I am VERY high on)
He was expected to be the team's starting running back as a junior in 2014, but a foot injury in camp required surgery and forced him to redshirt, but he was a big time recruit coming out of high school, and was SUPPOSED to be the starter until the injury. He has the talent to be a star, but that injury just derailed the process. This is a good, solid pick. While most of us are thinking "Why so many RB's?" the Seahawks clearly didn't want what happened last year to happen again, and have now completely rebuilt the RB stable with guys who have a ton of upside.
We have a LOADED RB corps!
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:14 pm

I'll admit to not knowing squat about the guy, but 41 rushes and 234 yards with 3 TDs isn't all that impressive...

Again, I'm not paid to make evaluations, and won't go so far as to say bad pick, just would have rather seen either a flyer on an OLB or young Gronk...

Brooks was not projected to be drafted by CBSSports and was way off the board as their 27th best running back. The 6-0, 199-pound back turned a serviceable campaign in 2015. He rushed for three touchdowns and 234 yards on just 41 attempts. He also caught two touchdowns through the air

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... ski-1.html

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555163
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:16 pm

[quote="HumanCockroach"]I'll admit to not knowing squat about the guy, but 41 rushes and 234 yards with 3 TDs isn't all that impressive...

Again, I'm not paid to make evaluations, and won't go so far as to say bad pick, just would have rather seen either a flyer on an OLB or young Gronk...

We might still get Gronk if the Seahawks want him. Don't be surprised if that happens.
There is still a metric ton of draftable talent that fell through. We're gonna get a few legitimate players here.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm aware, just don't understand drafting a guy you are going to cut ( not saying it will be HIM just that one possibly two of those guys will not make the team) they have carried 3 RBS since arriving, even IF they cut Micheal ( I'm not as convinced as everyone else he has zero chance of making it) and the other two backs they signed, that still leaves four ( unless people believe they'll cut Rawls for some reason)..

Like I said, I will not claim "bad" or "wasted" pick, I simply do not believe I know better, or that analysts or mocks or grades etc do, I'm just confused by the choice.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:31 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I'm aware, just don't understand drafting a guy you are going to cut ( not saying it will be HIM just that one possibly two of those guys will not make the team) they have carried 3 RBS since arriving, even IF they cut Micheal ( I'm not as convinced as everyone else he has zero chance of making it) and the other two backs they signed, that still leaves four ( unless people believe they'll cut Rawls for some reason)..

Like I said, I will not claim "bad" or "wasted" pick, I simply do not believe I know better, or that analysts or mocks or grades etc do, I'm just confused by the choice.

Always compete. I think that this pick was about bringing in competition as much as anything else.
It's possible we move Collins to fullback, which after cutting Michaels (this will happen) will leave three halfbacks and a fullback to carry, which is very reasonable.
Just because we may end up cutting him, that doesn't mean we can't stash him on the PS. Admittedly not a great reason to draft someone but...
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:47 pm

Too funny, the Seahawks just signed their next O-line conversion project UDFA, Western Kentucky TE George Fant.
This guy is a Garry Gilliam clone. Big athletic, love it.

Chrsitian French orgeon LB is a Seahawk. YES!
PC/JS were very high on him.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:02 pm

which after cutting Michaels (this will happen)

Why? Why is this a certainty? Wasn't Micheal a RB that this FO drafted in the second round? Do you feel the ability that convinced Carroll and Co. To do that has disappeared?

I'm not attempting to be argumentative, just trying to understand the certainty of this statement.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Cajuste to..... Niners...

Baby Gronk.... Bills...

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/4/30/115 ... ks-edition

Like picking up Boykins
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Pro Football Focus - Not impressed with the Seahawk's Draft (their downgrade is primarily on the Hawks first round pick Ifedi)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

Seattle Seahawks, C

1 (31) (from Denver) Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
2 (49) (from Buffalo via Chicago) Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
3 (90) C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame
3 (94) (from Denver) Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State
3 (97) Rees Odhiambo, G, Boise State
5 (147) Quinton Jefferson, DT, Maryland
5 (171) Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas
6 (215) Joey Hunt, C, TCU
7 (243) Kenny Lawler, WR, California
7 (247) Zac Brooks, RB, Clemson

Day 1: We saw Ifedi as more of a mid-round developmental option, even though he has the size, length and athleticism that coaches covet. He had some ugly plays in pass protection, finishing with the No. 67 grade in that area in the draft class. He was better in the running game, ranking No. 23 in the class, but he has a ways to go to live up to his first-round selection. The Seahawks really need to improve their line play, as Russell Wilson was under pressure at the second-highest rate of any NFL QB last season.

Day 2: Reed posted the No. 2 grade against the run last year, disrupting blockers and making plays. He’s technically sound and can see the field immediately on run downs. Prosise had an impressive performance at running back last year, earning the 10th-best grade in the class. Vannett offers value as a blocking “move” tight end, while Odhiambo’s movement skills fit in at guard in Seattle’s zone scheme – even though he did whiff on too many blocks in the run game (-2.2 run-block grade).

Day 3: Jefferson made plays against the run in 2015, finishing with a +17.8 grade that ranked 23rd in the class though he can get moved off the point by double teams. Collins graded at +16.1, good for ninth in the class and his 58 missed tackles forced ranked third. He does a nice job maximizing his blocking though he lacks breakaway speed. Hunt is an undersized center, but his good movement skills make him one of the better zone-blocking centers in the draft. His +26.5 overall grade ranked fourth in the class.

Steve Palazzolo | Senior Analyst

Steve is a senior analyst at Pro Football Focus. His work has been featured on ESPN Insider, NBC Sports, and 120 Sports.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:06 pm

The thing to keep in mind about PFF is, they have tried to come up with a mathematical formula that accounts for football plays the same way that baseball sabermetrics works, but THERE IS NO WAY to come up with a mathematical formula that works that way for football. They might be able to account for certain things, but ANY lineman from a ZBS system for example, always gets rated horribly or else wildly. ZBS rankings are extremely erratic. That's just one example of something like that, there are many others.
The formula they use, which they will not release for public scrutiny, (most likely due to the fact that people would find obvious holes in it, and that would undermine their claim that they are using math to figure out how players rank), may work for some things, some players and situations, but it cannot be all encompassing, and many variables and outlyers seem to slide.

Point is, PFF isn't the worst, in fact I applaud their attempt, but I'd be much higher on the site if they would allow people to see the formula, or if there weren't always so many OBVIOUS anomalies in their system.
I personally read what they say with a big grain of salt, though I don't dismiss everything they say out of hand the way so many people do. There's some value to what they do, I'm just not sure how much...
monkey
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 pm

There's an inherent difference between football and baseball. Baseball has a very specific set of goals that lead to success- reaching first base after putting a ball into play, etc.

Football has no such well-defined criteria beyond "possessing the ball in the endzone" (or "beyond the first-down marker", etc) (the analog of which would be "touching your foot on home plate").

"Sibermetrics" have no use in football.
burrrton
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum