Now apparently Ifedi is being looked at as our right GUARD..

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Now apparently Ifedi is being looked at as our right GUARD..

Postby monkey » Mon May 02, 2016 7:14 pm

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/5/2/11572580/germain-ifedi-going-to-start-inside-at-right-guard-per-pete-carroll

The key takeaway from this (and one that really does make a lot of sense) is, " We are going to bring him in here and put him at right guard and get J'Marcus Webb at right tackle and get as big as you can get in football and see what those guys can do together.''
I'm not sure why they haven't said this before, but my guess is they view him as the *short term* right guard and *long term* right tackle. At least that's my guess as to why they only ever talked about him at RT up until yesterday, but now today Pete is imagining having the biggest O-line in football.
It is quite the picture though...Ifedi is huge, Webb is even bigger, and add to that, our new stud blocking TE Vannett...oh man.

So at least for now, and with Schneider saying that Rees Odhiambo will compete/play at LG right away, http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/5/2/11568948/john-schneider-breaks-down-seahawks-draft-class, it looks like our line will be *in order of who I believe is most likely to start* thus:

LT: Gilliam LG: Odhiambo/Glowinski/Britt Center: Hunt/Lewis RG: Ifedi RT: Webb
Or including UDFA's:

LT- Gilliam, Sowell, Schwenke
LG- Odhiambo, *Glowinski Britt, Hunter
C- Hunt, Lewis, Sokoli, Nowak, Pericak
RG- Ifedi, *Glowinski, Fant, Maiava
RT- Webb, Ifedi, Poole
*Could likely play either guard spot
Last edited by monkey on Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey
Legacy

Re: Now apparently Ifedi is being looked at as our right GUA

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 pm

It makes sense if you want to minimize the learning curve as he played RG/RT in college so he won't have to worry about mirroring his footwork or setups. Not to say he would have trouble with that, but it's one less thing to learn.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon May 02, 2016 7:47 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It makes sense if you want to minimize the learning curve as he played RG/RT in college so he won't have to worry about mirroring his footwork or setups. Not to say he would have trouble with that, but it's one less thing to learn.

Agreed, and good point.
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon May 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Pete said he's doing it as a way to get as big as possible, maybe it's a signal that Cable's prototype lighter more athletic linemen aren't the only way we're going to try it if the end product isn't up to snuff.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 02, 2016 8:54 pm

The good thing about Ifedi is he's as athletic as a smaller, quicker Guard, so he could be both a big body and a quick, athletic blocker.
I like the idea of a larger line, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Pete said he's doing it as a way to get as big as possible, maybe it's a signal that Cable's prototype lighter more athletic linemen aren't the only way we're going to try it if the end product isn't up to snuff.

Do you think that our decline in productivity in 3rd down/short yardage and our leaks-like-a-sieve pass protection is influencing what we now seem to be looking for in an OL?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon May 02, 2016 10:42 pm

I haven't seen any change in their preferred type of lineman since the first draft. Big, powerful, athletic, versatile lineman is all they have ever sought or drafted.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 am

That idea of the 'biggest line' might work for the run game, as we need road graders to open up some holes, but Webb is NOT going to be a help at RT with Russell in the passing game as he's considered slow feet and with the trend in the NFL to go smaller and faster at Defensive End, where quickness is winning, is this really a solution to our problem?
Run Russell, Run! Our new slogan..
Great offensive plan. Also, Ifedi's weakness is... Pass Blocking... so the whole right side is going to be an issue.
We also will have, basically, a rookie LT to start, so our 'experience' on the OLine will also a former RT, who we moved to LGuard and really isn't very good, IMHO or Glowinski, who is also, basically a rookie if he moves to LG. At least we have Mr. Lewis, he may become the rock of the line ( he looked real good the last 1/2 of the year) and a whole lot of pressure on him if we have a rookie on either side of him, too. I hope Mr Cable can get some sleep because this is not a pretty picture on paper.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue May 03, 2016 12:42 am

jshawaii22 wrote:That idea of the 'biggest line' might work for the run game, as we need road graders to open up some holes, but Webb is NOT going to be a help at RT with Russell in the passing game as he's considered slow feet and with the trend in the NFL to go smaller and faster at Defensive End, where quickness is winning, is this really a solution to our problem?
Great offensive plan. Also, Ifedi's weakness is... Pass Blocking... so the whole right side is going to be an issue.
We also will have, basically, a rookie LT to start, so our 'experience' on the OLine will also a former RT, who we moved to LGuard and really isn't very good, IMHO or Glowinski, who is also, basically a rookie if he moves to LG. At least we have Mr. Lewis, he may become the rock of the line ( he looked real good the last 1/2 of the year) and a whole lot of pressure on him if we have a rookie on either side of him, too. I hope Mr Cable can get some sleep because this is not a pretty picture on paper.

js

Wow, JS, they haven't even taken a snap and already you're hitting the panic button! :mrgreen:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:56 am

No, no more then the last few years. I just know that it's going to take some time and we need to be prepared to give it to them. I like the picks in the draft, but the new #1 pick "RG" has never once put his hand in the dirt. I just can't get over that at this time. It would seem to be better as a RT, where he finished in college.
Schneider commented a few weeks ago how totally pathetic most colleges are about their O lInes anymore and there aren't many "Pro" ready ones. No kidding. By the way, Laremy Tunsil, he has never put his hand in the ground either, so maybe it really isn't a big deal, but I think it would be.
Last edited by jshawaii22 on Tue May 03, 2016 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I haven't seen any change in their preferred type of lineman since the first draft. Big, powerful, athletic, versatile lineman is all they have ever sought or drafted.

I agree Human, the problem is NOT one of them has been an NFL starter for over 3 years. In fact name me one that has started for entire season? How do build consistency on the OL, a group that has to fire out on the same page, with a only Britt who has 1 year as a starter under their belt. Webb? He is on his 5th NFL team!
For any Republican friends, I paraphrase the Reagan quote: "Is our Offense line better now than it was last year?" NO. In fact I would argue worse. We got a bunch of FA cast offs and late rounder's, and Ifedi , who will need at least 2 years to mature as they turn him into spaghetti. Moreover, we lost 2 good starters, 1 of them a quasi All-Pro. We were 3rd in the league in sacks last year. I think with this group, we can break that record.

Dateline Seattle PI 9-19-16--It was confirmed that All Star Hawk QB Russell Wilson, is out for the rest of the 2016 NFL campaign, with a torn MCL and ACL. Yesterdays game with LA, The dual hit of Rams Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn, sent the Hawk MVP to Virginia Mason hospital for treatment. The Seattle fans are in shock! Both players that were left unblocked once again by the Hawks porous OL left the Hawks management scrambling for excuses. Coach Pete Carroll stated we have backups and its the next man in. Ex Oregon QB Vernon Adams, stated, I really look forward to the new challenge, I am sorry about RW but I don't need an OL. Diverting criticism of the Hawk OL, coach Carroll again reiterated, hey folks, its a work in progress, get past it.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue May 03, 2016 4:50 am

monkey wrote:LT: Gilliam LG: Odhiambo/Glowinski/Britt Center: Hunt/Lewis RG: Ifedi RT: Webb
Or including UDFA's:

LT- Gilliam, Sowell, Schwenke
LG- Odhiambo, *Glowinski Britt, Hunter
C- Hunt, Lewis, Sokoli, Nowak, Pericak
RG- Ifedi, *Glowinski, Fant, Maiava
RT- Webb, Ifedi, Poole
*Could likely play either guard spot

Like js, I'd be concerned with that lineup. Having rookies fill the entire interior OL seems like a bad, bad idea. I like the potential and size of that line, but I'd be seriously concerned about pass pro. Add in Webb, who by all accounts is terrible, and I'm also nervous. For my money, I'd bet on Glowinski over Odhiambo at LG, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis win the C job initially.

I also see Vannett playing a TON of snaps on that right side to help with blocking, as do others on the board.

Not hitting the panic button yet, because I really do like the potential there, but I foresee some rough early games with Wilson getting immediate interior pressure if this is the line on opening day.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 03, 2016 7:41 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I haven't seen any change in their preferred type of lineman since the first draft. Big, powerful, athletic, versatile lineman is all they have ever sought or drafted.

Rob Staton at seahawksdraftblog.com has an observation that they liked a big LG and smaller quicker RG.
For Left Guard think Gallery, Carpenter and Britt while at Right Guard Sweezy. Sweezy was less than 300 lbs, so to put 2 guys on the right side at over 330 is a bit of a shift.
Right Tackle think Breno and Britt before last year with Gilliam, and now they have gone back to Webb at 335 lbs.
There is some validity to Statons observations, but it shows that they aren't stuck with only one formula.
The good thing about Ifedi is he has the athleticism of Sweezy with the size of Webb.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 03, 2016 7:48 am

jshawaii22 wrote:That idea of the 'biggest line' might work for the run game, as we need road graders to open up some holes, but Webb is NOT going to be a help at RT with Russell in the passing game as he's considered slow feet and with the trend in the NFL to go smaller and faster at Defensive End, where quickness is winning, is this really a solution to our problem?

js

On the right side perhaps Vannett can help block. He's said to be one of if not the best blocking TE in this draft, so let's see if he can fill a Zach Miller type role.
There are certainly going to be some issues as there isn't much time to learn to work together and Ifedi is going to make some rookie blunders and look real bad at times, but we have to hope that it comes together quicker than expected.

I think that in time, Ifedi will be the RT. This move lets him adjust to the NFL, but when he moves to RT might be sooner than we think.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue May 03, 2016 10:56 am

Jshawaii I gotta say, you seem to have already decided this will suck.
Also have to say, what's so great about, Lewis???
I'm desperately hoping Hunt beats him out, because Lewis is anything but the long-term solution there.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 03, 2016 11:05 am

Most good Offenses have a very good Center.
Centers are often forgotten in drafts with a few exceptions like Kelly this year, but we don't usually see a run on Centers like other positions.
With a little time, Hunt could be a long term solution but he will probably need some help against players like Donald and Shortt from the Rams and Panthers.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue May 03, 2016 11:11 am

Rob Staton at seahawksdraftblog.com has an observation that they liked a big LG and smaller quicker RG.
For Left Guard think Gallery, Carpenter and Britt while at Right Guard Sweezy. Sweezy was less than 300 lbs, so to put 2 guys on the right side at over 330 is a bit of a shift.
Right Tackle think Breno and Britt before last year with Gilliam, and now they have gone back to Webb at 335 lbs.
There is some validity to Statons observations, but it shows that they aren't stuck with only one formula.
The good thing about Ifedi is he has the athleticism of Sweezy with the size of Webb.

The things I've listed are constants. Strength, athleticism, versatility... I'm not sure they have ever been limited by the "package" that comes in. They have always valued those things since day one, and the picks this year reaffirm those things.

And Obi only one starter played all 16 games last year ( Gilliam) though Britt played all 16 the year previously, that said Okung NEVER played a full season, nor Unger, nor Carpenter, in fact, you have to go back to Giacomini in 2012 to find a starter not named Sweezy, Britt or Gilliam to do so. Injuries are part of the game, always have been, always will be.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 03, 2016 12:27 pm

I don't know if you read Staton's blog, but he has some interesting statistics about who we have drafted in the past.
OL not less than 33" arms, Broad Jump at least 9 feet, and other measurables.
As well, the players have a particular aggressive attitude.

That doesn't discount what you stated with versatility, athleticism, and strength, but there is a trend that includes much more.
It doesn't mean it's going to continue of course.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue May 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Every measurable you listed would fall under athleticism with the exception of arm length and they certainly had no problem playing one that didn't meet the criteria in that regard.( Unger).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 03, 2016 3:04 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Every measurable you listed would fall under athleticism with the exception of arm length and they certainly had no problem playing one that didn't meet the criteria in that regard.( Unger).

There were some other things as well which I don't remember off hand.
The composition of the line over time is interesting as they have for the most part had a big LG, big RT, and smaller in comparison RG. We are now going with a big RG and RT along with a big LG (at least it looks like it so far), so it is a bit of a change and it's good they are not locked into one particular style of composition.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 pm

I don't remember Moffit being a smaller guard, maybe I'm misrembering or something, but didn't he go about 320 or there abouts? Bailey and Bowie also lined up there and both were well over 310. I don't see a real pattern, just using what's available that meet the other criteria. Sweezy was "smaller" I suppose as much as you can call a 300 pounder smaller, but I certainly haven't noticed a pattern in that regard.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:03 pm

...Also have to say, what's so great about, Lewis???
I'm desperately hoping Hunt beats him out, because Lewis is anything but the long-term solution there.

Well, the team was sure a lot better in the second half of last year, which corresponded to him getting the starting Center job back.
I'm not an expert but the statistics show the offense in the second half was way better then the first. Running and Passing. Time of possession, everything improved.
I have no issue with Lewis at the center.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed May 04, 2016 5:06 am

jshawaii22 wrote:...Also have to say, what's so great about, Lewis???

Well, the team was sure a lot better in the second half of last year, which corresponded to him getting the starting Center job back.
I'm not an expert but the statistics show the offense in the second half was way better then the first. Running and Passing. Time of possession, everything improved.
I have no issue with Lewis at the center.

Because he was better at making the line calls, not because he's actually a good center.
He's NOT.

Look there's a reason why we couldn't handle inside pressure at all. All of the people who wanted us to draft a LT are not paying attention. We lost twice to the Rams and Panthers, because we don't handle inside pressure well, at all. We NEED to build this line inside out like the Saints did for their short QB not outside in like most teams do for their pocket QB's.
There's also a reason that we were so desperately trying to start Nowak instead of Lewis, in spite of the fact that Nowak was new to the position and couldn't handle it.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 am

monkey is correct. We were derailed by inside pressure. It's why I was a little disappointed we didn't draft McGovern who has the power to compete with the Kawann Short and Aaron Donald types and has the possibility to move to Center. He also played Tackle in College, so versatility was there, too.

Strength up the middle is a key to success in almost every team sport. If you are weak there, chances are you will have problems operating effectively.
We were strong up the middle everywhere except up the middle of the OL (Center and Guards).
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 am

NorthHawk wrote:monkey is correct. We were derailed by inside pressure. It's why I was a little disappointed we didn't draft McGovern who has the power to compete with the Kawann Short and Aaron Donald types and has the possibility to move to Center. He also played Tackle in College, so versatility was there, too.

Strength up the middle is a key to success in almost every team sport. If you are weak there, chances are you will have problems operating effectively.
We were strong up the middle everywhere except up the middle of the OL (Center and Guards).

Yep, pressure up the middle was brutal. Explosiveness is the reason they really wanted Nowak to work at center last year. He is extreme explosive. I still hope that he can somehow turn into a legitimate center, but I think that is a long shot. He needs game experience and he just isn't going to get that at this point in his career. Also, Britt's terrible pass blocking killed us last year. I liked him much more at RT because when he got beat at least the pressure was as quick and right in RW's face.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am

One thing I hadn't really considered that Hawk blogger brought up was the fact that Britt has had center experience.
That's an interesting idea at least...
Ill say this much, we've gotten much bigger and stronger than the line was last year, with Gilliam at LT Glowinski at LG, at Center presumably Lewis has the inside track, then the two behemoths on the right, plus a legitimate blocking TE, which is a BIG BIG part of the equation.
I like the direction we're taking here. We're probably 60-70lbs. Heavier on the line than last year. It can't hurt
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed May 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Because he was better at making the line calls, not because he's actually a good center.
He's NOT.

Look there's a reason why we couldn't handle inside pressure at all. All of the people who wanted us to draft a LT are not paying attention. We lost twice to the Rams and Panthers, because we don't handle inside pressure well, at all. We NEED to build this line inside out like the Saints did for their short QB not outside in like most teams do for their pocket QB's.
There's also a reason that we were so desperately trying to start Nowak instead of Lewis, in spite of the fact that Nowak was new to the position and couldn't handle it.

I'm not claiming any one thing about Hunt or Lewis, but if size and strength are a concern, wouldn't Lewis be the better option? He is quite a bit larger and stronger than Hunt ( around 20 or so pounds) and as you pointed out, experience reading the defense and making proper line calls is key ( which would again be in Lewis' favor pretty drastically at this point).

I'm not writing Hunt off or claiming in any way that he can't/won't be able to take Lewis' job, just pointing out that based on your concerns, I would be surprised if Hunt was an upgrade. At least in the immediate future. Doesn't mean he won't eventually be, but unless he puts on 20 or 30 pounds of muscle in the next 4 months, I'm not sure how he will be better prepared to handle those interior lineman than Lewis.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed May 04, 2016 9:17 pm

HumanCockroach wrote: Doesn't mean he won't eventually be, but unless he puts on 20 or 30 pounds of muscle in the next 4 months, I'm not sure how he will be better prepared to handle those interior lineman than Lewis.
You're absolutely right, but while Hunt is even smaller than Lewis is, which ought to make me root for Lewis to win the job, I think Hunt is a far superior blocker to Lewis. Yes Lewis beat out the completely inept (and now cut) Drew Nowak, because Nowak didn't know what he was doing. Hunt, while even smaller yet, is a superior blocker to Lewis, who really isn't very good.
I don't mind Lewis really, I'd just rather see him a backup than a starter.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 pm

We will see. I haven't seen horrible play from Lewis in general, he filled in admirably for Unger, and later last season performed solidly. Not saying he's great or a long term lock, just feel he's done solid.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu May 05, 2016 6:58 am

Old but Slow wrote:Nowak just got waived.

We love the way he fires and out and is really teachable and hard nosed. PC

Now SEE YA!
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 05, 2016 7:50 am

He was waived then brought back to the PS last year, too.
That may have been a result of a lack of options that he went to the PS, though and there are more options this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat May 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Britt moved to center...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 07, 2016 2:28 pm

That's an interesting move.
He has the explosion that they want and experience of playing at the NFL level, so if he has what it takes between the ears, he might turn out OK.
It would make the OL huge, too if both Ifedi and Odhiambo start.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat May 07, 2016 10:54 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Britt moved to center...

Not exactly promising for Britt's future with the team - being rejected for other players at both Tackle & Guard. He will have to compete with Lewis & Sokoli (who cable loves) for this position along with the 6th round pick from TCU.

Cable & Carrol's comments below are not exactly a ringing endorsement of Britt.

>>>> in explaining the move of Britt on ESPN 710 Seattle, Cable said: “I think that’s what enables us to do it, the fact that he is well-versed in our system two years now. He’s played tackle, he’s played guard, kinda understands it. The issue for him will be getting him comfortable and confident snapping.”

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who also was not available on Saturday, had been non-committal about whether Britt would play guard or tackle in 2016 when asked about him on the day after the divisional playoff loss to Carolina that ended last season.

“We’re going to figure that out,” Carroll said. “I can’t tell you that right now. It’s good that he can play there (tackle). It’s good that he can play guard and tackle. That’s to his benefit.”

But the move of Britt would mean that only one offensive line starter from last year will begin the 2016 season in the same spot — Lewis, who now has the added competition of Britt.<<<<<<<
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 am

He might be the new Alvin Bailey.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum