Cam Newton announcement

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Cam Newton announcement

Postby burrrton » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:56 am

This was too good to not post- it summarizes the guy perfectly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... on-in-2016

The money quote:

"I have to put that aside," Newton said of the dab, via BlackandBlueReview.com. "I have time. I have until September to find out (a new celebration)."

Yeah, I know a guy can do more than one thing in the offseason- it's just perfect optics for his critics (of which I'm one).

Bonus content is the Journalism major poking fun at the people who think/thought Newton celebrating every 2 yard gain is/was worth ridiculing.
burrrton
Legacy

Re: Cam Newton announcement

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:16 am

If you outgrew it Cam just stop doing it, no need to announce you're looking for the next childish "look at me" display.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 am

Every single time I see anything about Newton, I remember the Nolan Nawrocki scouting report.
“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup.

“Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room ... Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."

It was so dead on.
Everything the guy does, that horrible commercial* the networks insist on playing over, and over, and over, where Cam shows us three different sides of his "personality" and SURPRISE, they're all exactly the same...narcissists to the extreme, is designed to draw attention to him.
I've actually gone from not really caring much about the guy one way or the other (except I hate how overrated he is!) to the point where it's pretty much a toss up between him or Kaepernick of which NFL QB I cannot stomach the most.

What's funniest about the link was the attempt to get people to stop commenting on the obvious, that THIS IS NOT NEWS!!!
Sorry the author took offense to everyone pointing that out, but it's true, it's not news, and NO ONE CARES, other than weird people who care about football "celebrations" as though they were a thing to be judged.
NFL network asked the question, what should Cam Newton's new celebration be, and my response, (as well as MANY others) was, how about hand the ref the ball!
I HATE the media's fawning approach to these stupid displays. I loathe it. The celebrations themselves, as stupid as they are, I can live with, as long as the media doesn't shove them down my throat, as though they were in any way a part of the game itself, or remotely cool or interesting...they are not.
If there was any one thing about the NFL I would get rid of, it's the promotion of the celebrations, as though they were some kind of performance art or something.
That the media treats Cam deciding to stop his lame dabbing as a news story, literally disgusts me.

*That commercial has to be the single worst commercial featuring any athlete, of all time! It's so horrible, so unwatchable, so ridiculously awful, it makes Shaq's stupid commercials seem brilliant by comparison. His extreme narcissism is actually the entire focus of the thing...it's amazing that some ad exec somewhere actually decided that, "Hey, you know what would be a great idea? Let's show the world exactly what a phony, narcissist Cam Newton is, and play it off like it's funny and cool to be such a dope, and see how many heads-full-of-mush, suckers and chumps buy what we're selling!"
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Why in the hell doesn't anyone start a thread where we can get into a disagreement that lasts 100 or so posts?

In my view, all the above comments are spot on. What's to argue?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Just a little FYI, but Cam apparently walked out on his presser today after Carolina dropped to 1-5.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000722151/article/cam-newton-in-no-mood-to-talk-following-loss-to-saints
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:50 pm

As explained by every Carolina fan ever, "leave the guy alone, he is suffering and emotional" I guess it extends to the SB and another loss by the overrated bottom dwelling Panthers in a lost season.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Ya know I was one of the ones that defended Cam on here last year. I found him really entertaining to watch, and respected the fact he was so skilled for the QB position. I did not know too much about his past from before he came into the league, and was probably a bit naïve even after he entered the NFL.

I do remember reading where in his first Pro Bowl, his own offensive line apparently were letting D lineman go in and have a shot at Cam for how be acted.

I became even more educated on him on this very message board, and that, coupled with the fact he came in to the CLink and won and then knocked the Hawks out of the playoffs, is where I turned.

Have to say I am lovin the Panthers 1-5 record, and the subsequent sulking of Cam Newton. Where's that grin now eh?
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Personally I have tried to go a little easy on Cam. Although the guy earns plenty of the criticism he gets, there are times when I think the criticism of him is over the top. I also thought that his behavior trend was increasingly mature. Not mature by any definition, but getting better. Sometimes though I wonder if he even gets it at all. He certainly is a fantastic football talent, but a truly great player knows how to help his team mates get better too. He knows when to use the whip and when to use a hug. Cam seems to measure much of what he does only to the ends of his fingers.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:31 am

FolkCrusader wrote:Personally I have tried to go a little easy on Cam. Although the guy earns plenty of the criticism he gets, there are times when I think the criticism of him is over the top. I also thought that his behavior trend was increasingly mature. Not mature by any definition, but getting better. Sometimes though I wonder if he even gets it at all. He certainly is a fantastic football talent, but a truly great player knows how to help his team mates get better too. He knows when to use the whip and when to use a hug. Cam seems to measure much of what he does only to the ends of his fingers.

Great analysis. I hated Winston, Newton, and LeBron. I had to do some self introspection. I still think they are all arrogant but was my dislike of them racially based or just because they are arrogant jerks? I hope its the latter, but everyone has to be careful.
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum