Expectations for Graham and Rawls..

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Expectations for Graham and Rawls..

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:46 pm

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/06/16 ... D-expected

Never a second of doubt in my mind regarding a broken bone with Rawls, Graham I still have my doubts.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Re: Expectations for Graham and Rawls..

Postby burrrton » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:53 pm

I could make a case for and against each with regard to week 1, but I tend to agree with you. My feeling is Rawls should be ready to roll, but I wouldn't be surprised if JG is still dealing with the tail end of his rehab regimen.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:10 am

A few comments: This is Pete talking, and we all know how he's the eternal optimist and puts a positive spin on everything. This could be just another case of him giving the press and us fans something to get excited about for the upcoming season.

Secondly, these are expectations they're talking about. They really haven't had much of a chance to fully assess their status, and won't have until they start having full contact drills.

And lastly, even if they are both ready in September, I'd be willing to bet that they'd be given a soft landing and used sparingly for the first few games. I'll be pleased if they are both going full throttle in Game 4.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:27 am

I'm not so sure Pete's style is a soft landing. He seems to want every player to go 100% when they are declared ready.
I have a concern with the ligament issues for both players.
They are the biggest unknown aspects for any injury. I'm hoping the rehab procedures are completely effective and they are both back at full strength, but I'm not buying into it fully quite yet.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:31 am

NorthHawk wrote:I'm not so sure Pete's style is a soft landing. He seems to want every player to go 100% when they are declared ready.
I have a concern with the ligament issues for both players.
They are the biggest unknown aspects for any injury. I'm hoping the rehab procedures are completely effective and they are both back at full strength, but I'm not buying into it fully quite yet.

Percy Harvin came back on a soft landing after his surgery. But we probably don't want to head down that road again.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:06 am

In regards to what Carroll is saying, I agree 100% that it's always positive, which is why I base 0% on it ( or any coach for that matter). Rawls injury wasn't severe, a fractured bone doesn't take but 4 to 8 weeks to heal, after that it's rehab to rebuild strength. Rawls should be ready to go ( never thought otherwise after it was reported that no surgery was necessary).

Graham required surgery, had ligament damage and its an injury with a history of a long recovery time, which would be why I have doubts.

Ultimately, Rawls should be 100% healthy come September first, Graham shouldn't ( that's just typical recovery times for anyone)... If Graham is and Rawls isn't, I would be shocked.

The link was provided just to give those that put stock in coaches speak some information. Not some sort of proof of health.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:03 am

Did we ever find out definitively if Rawls had ligament damage?
If he did, it can be a bit of a wild card in his recovery time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:30 am

According to the most recent updates, there was no ligament damage. I'm not sure that makes it definitive.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:59 am

According to an article on Seahawks.com, he did suffer ligament damage.

"The question with Rawls is not ability but health. He suffered a fractured ankle with ligament damage in December and has not been participating in OTAs. If healthy, Rawls figures to be the bell cow for the Seahawks' run-first offense".

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/06/13 ... bring-down

Now it makes sense why it's taken so long to recover from a broken ankle.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:26 pm

NorthHawk wrote:According to an article on Seahawks.com, he did suffer ligament damage.

"The question with Rawls is not ability but health. He suffered a fractured ankle with ligament damage in December and has not been participating in OTAs. If healthy, Rawls figures to be the bell cow for the Seahawks' run-first offense".

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/06/13 ... bring-down

Now it makes sense why it's taken so long to recover from a broken ankle.

Thanks for the update, North Hawk.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Never a second of doubt in my mind regarding a broken bone with Rawls, Graham I still have my doubts

Wow for once we agree 100% on something Human!! The hope is if they can work Graham into a slot receiver somehow, he makes great catches, great in the Red Zone, and is hard to cover if he has enough time to break. We'll see!
obiken
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:50 pm

My own expectations, provided a return to full health of course, is Rawls will finish top 5 in rushing, yardfs, touchdowns the whole schebang. Rawls will be a stud.
Graham will have a nice year, though not the huge year he had when in New Orleans, but that will be more of a product of Wilson's tendency to spread the ball around, and all the weapons he will have to spread the ball to.
I expect both Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett to have REALLY nice seasons, (when put in the context of Seahawks receivers in a run first system anyway) and between Doug and Lockett, plus all the other weapons, like Kearse Richardson (he finally looks healthy), Prosise, Willson etc..., it's going to be tough for GRaham to really stand out in terms of volume numbers.
Where he CAN stand out, however, is in the red zone. I expect him to end up with a lot of touchdowns receptions, double digits.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 pm

monkey wrote:My own expectations, provided a return to full health of course, is Rawls will finish top 5 in rushing, yardfs, touchdowns the whole schebang. Rawls will be a stud.
Graham will have a nice year, though not the huge year he had when in New Orleans, but that will be more of a product of Wilson's tendency to spread the ball around, and all the weapons he will have to spread the ball to.
I expect both Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett to have REALLY nice seasons, (when put in the context of Seahawks receivers in a run first system anyway) and between Doug and Lockett, plus all the other weapons, like Kearse Richardson (he finally looks healthy), Prosise, Willson etc..., it's going to be tough for GRaham to really stand out in terms of volume numbers.
Where he CAN stand out, however, is in the red zone. I expect him to end up with a lot of touchdowns receptions, double digits.

Boy, now THERE'S an optimist.

Like I said before, I'll be happy if we have both up to full tilt by Week 6.

The receiving corps is a mystery. If everybody comes back healthy and motivated (big 'IF'), we could have a tremendous season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Interesting. Never considered myself an optimist, but the Rawls statement is my expectations, not hopes. Not sure why that would be considered optimistic, considering he was all three prior to being injured, and that with about 1/2 the carries and games as those he was ranked with... Hell, he was leading the entire NFL in rushing with only 6 games, and was top ten despite missing/ or not getting significant carries in 10 of 16 games.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:33 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Interesting. Never considered myself an optimist, but the Rawls statement is my expectations, not hopes. Not sure why that would be considered optimistic, considering he was all three prior to being injured, and that with about 1/2 the carries and games as those he was ranked with... Hell, he was leading the entire NFL in rushing with only 6 games, and was top ten despite missing/ or not getting significant carries in 10 of 16 games.

I was referring to monkey's expectations, ie Rawls top 5 rushing, really nice seasons from Balwin and Lockette, solid season from Graham, et al. Given our defense, if all those stars line up like that, we'll go 16-0 and surpass the '72 Dolphins.

Not that I mind that kind of optimism. I used to be more that way myself, believed every word that beat reporters said in training camp, treated as gospel what a head coach said in his pressers. Over the years, I've tended to lower my expectations somewhat so I'm not so bummed when things don't turn out like I expected, and if my expectations are exceeded, then I'm that much more excited than if they were simply met.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum