Great - Now Boykin charged with assaulting an officer

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Great - Now Boykin charged with assaulting an officer

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Just got an update on my phone from 710 - Liz Matthews tween. #seahawks back up QB competition getting even more interesting. Looks like charges filed, August arraignment. Sorry - no link yet
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: Great - Now Boykin charged with assaulting an officer

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:13 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ne-boykin/

old news, I guess??? Not sure why I just got an update
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 pm

He was originally charged with felony assault, but now it's been downgraded to misdemeanor assault.
I hope he can dodge Defensive linemen as effectively.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:20 pm

You guys are starting to look like the Niners! The beginning of the end. 2 QB's in jail and more players will join them soon.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Hey look Dumbo 2.1 You are writing our obituary a little early.
obiken
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:50 pm

TWO GUYS NOT YET ON YOUR ROSTER HAD RUN-INS WITH THE LAW LOLOL OH MAN JUST LIKE THE 49'ERS!
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:You guys are starting to look like the Niners! The beginning of the end. 2 QB's in jail and more players will join them soon.

Well I guess We'll just have to learn to cope with an ex player getting in trouble, and an Undrafted rookie free agents old charge... At least they aren't getting shot like they do in Rams land.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:You guys are starting to look like the Niners! The beginning of the end. 2 QB's in jail and more players will join them soon.

http://nfl-arrests.pointafter.com/d/a/St.-Louis-Rams

Glass houses and all that, you're talking about a former free agent back up and a maybe undrafted backup, meanwhile in Rams land multiple star starters have had issues with the law... but you know, what ever floats your sub .500 boat..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/01/seahawks-sign-trevone-boykin/

old news, I guess??? Not sure why I just got an update

The "news" is that the charges were officially filed (so far as North said only the misdemeanor charges, though federal charges technically could still be filed). The incident was well before the combine (he was suspended from his team's bowl game or conference championship game, can't remember which) so he's already faced and answered all the questions from all the teams (including ours) so none of this is catching anyone by surprise.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:47 pm

It was the night before TCU's bowl game, in what was supposed to be his crowning glory game for his career. Not exactly the way to go out. Sent home on Bowl Game Day. To be honest, it really doesn't say much about his 'character'.. The QB, the Captain and leader of the team, the player they all look up to, etc. First of all, what the hell was he doing OUT on the town the night before a bowl game.

Let's see... Boykin or TJack.... great choices...and where was his 'fall guy'?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:48 am

In my book there's a big difference between getting in a bar fight and hitting a cop (which I have personal experience with) and getting drunk and pointing a gun at your wife/girl friend and threatening to kill her at home with the children in the house (which I have never come anywhere close to doing).

Easy choice. DV is a hundred times worse than bar brawling.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:39 am

Just about everyone who is socially active does something they regret by the time they are 25.
I look for a pattern before going any further than saying it's a problem.
If the charges are upgraded to a felony, then it's something different.
The decision to go drinking before a bowl game doesn't show much focus and is a concern, though but again, I hope it's just youthful indiscretion.
We'll see what the future holds for him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:In my book there's a big difference between getting in a bar fight and hitting a cop (which I have personal experience with) and getting drunk and pointing a gun at your wife/girl friend and threatening to kill her at home with the children in the house (which I have never come anywhere close to doing).

Easy choice. DV is a hundred times worse than bar brawling.

Agreed about TJack's DV being the more serious of the accusations. But not going to condone hitting a cop, unless there were some extraordinary circumstances . No matter how much of an asshole the cop might have been, you have to respect the badge, and no amount of liquor should justify the action Boykin chose to take. Hitting a cop is a little more than just bar brawling. The blue uniform flashes in front of you and you stop. Period.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:59 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Agreed about TJack's DV being the more serious of the accusations. But not going to condone hitting a cop, unless there were some extraordinary circumstances . No matter how much of an asshole the cop might have been, you have to respect the badge, and no amount of liquor should justify the action Boykin chose to take. Hitting a cop is a little more than just bar brawling. The blue uniform flashes in front of you and you stop. Period.

Hitting a cop is usually not a planned event. In my case I got whacked in the ear from behind and turned around swinging, turned out to be an MP hit me with his stick.

I don't know how many bar brawls you've been in but it's pretty easy to wind up in a defensive position (backed up to a wall or a corner) and every time you see a face in front of you you just hit it before it hits you. Real easy to find out after the fact that one of the guys you popped was a cop. Doesn't mean you set out to assault a policeman.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:39 pm

There is a video out there of the event. Basically 3-4 club employees kick him out of the club. I have never read what the reasoning was, presumably drunk and/or disorderly. As the are pushing him out he takes 1 or 2 swings. No one gets hurt. Video shows him down on street level talking with friends. Cops start to show up. They are wearing helmets. 3-4 cops in a group, looks like something is said between cops and Boykin group and Boykin lunges while swinging at closest cop. Cop immediately takes him down. Several more jump on him. They threaten to tase him and he relaxes. Over before anything starts.

In Texas simple assault can be upgraded to felony assault if you assault a public servant which is why he was initially charged that way. A simple assault (misdemeanor) conviction still requires an injury to occur. Personally I don't see how anyone but Boykin was injured as the cop saw the punch coming a mile away. Majorly dumb on his part. He's lucky the cops didn't kick the living s*** out of him. He'll probably plea to some sort of disorderly conduct and get community service. It just wasn't that big of a deal, but prosecutors have to look out for their cops.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Big deal. Not much to see here as far as Im concerned. The kid doesnt have a record. I agree with the sentiments of why was he out pre game night but where was the team supervision? And there are guys in the NFL hall of fame who skipped curfew before huge NFL games.

This is another PC and JS score. He may be trade bait someday because short of injury were set at the position but this was one of the most athletic QBs in college ball
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:01 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Hitting a cop is usually not a planned event. In my case I got whacked in the ear from behind and turned around swinging, turned out to be an MP hit me with his stick.

I don't know how many bar brawls you've been in but it's pretty easy to wind up in a defensive position (backed up to a wall or a corner) and every time you see a face in front of you you just hit it before it hits you. Real easy to find out after the fact that one of the guys you popped was a cop. Doesn't mean you set out to assault a policeman.

Getting into a bar brawl isn't usually a planned event, either. And if a cop blindsided you with his stick, I'd say that was an extraordinary circumstance. Unless there's a deadly weapon involved, most cops, at least the good cops, don't use that kind of force to break up a brawl.

FYI I've been in my share of brawls before, but to be honest, only one time was it inside a bar, and that was in an effort to break up a fight. I wasn't really an active participant.
RiverDog
Legacy

It's over now

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:47 pm

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer's Stephen Cohen, Boykin pleaded no contest to resisting arrest

1 year probation.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Any chance the league would discipline him via their personal conduct policy?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:53 pm

For a misdemeanor first time offense? I don't think so (not that I know the guidelines, just seems unlikely).
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:39 am

It happened while he was in College. If the NFL can apply a penalty while the player is in college, wouldn't we have heard the same about Frank Clark?
Has anyone been punished for a crime before they were drafted? He just got his one get-out-of-jail free card in life. I hope he remembers that while he's a Seahawk.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:18 am

jshawaii22 wrote:It happened while he was in College. If the NFL can apply a penalty while the player is in college, wouldn't we have heard the same about Frank Clark?
Has anyone been punished for a crime before they were drafted? He just got his one get-out-of-jail free card in life. I hope he remembers that while he's a Seahawk.

Good point. That would seem a little unjust.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:57 am

I believe there are some players that are in the first stages of the drug program coming right out of college for actions occurring while they were College players.
Isn't Tunsill (sp) in that situation now?
It would seem unjust, but I think it has happened to some players in the past.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:03 am

The NFL does ( and has) punished players for transgressions in college ( Terrelle Prior comes immediately to mind) but it's doubtful that they will do so for a couple misdemeanors ( which is what both Clark and Boykin faced coming into the league). There's a fine line between casting players as guilty of more severe crimes ( ones they ultimately aren't charged with for various reasons) and punishing them for them.

Clark and Boykin were cleared of serious crimes before they ever donned a uniform. I'm not entirely sure if some just want them to be guilty of the more serious crimes to create a whipping boy or what exactly it is. The same was claimed about Irvin because he hit a pizza sign off a car, a PIZZA sign, and yet four years later he's avoided any trouble with the law...

Maybe the NFL believes in giving these players a chance, instead of stalling their careers for misdemeanors, it's possible.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:18 am

NorthHawk wrote:I believe there are some players that are in the first stages of the drug program coming right out of college for actions occurring while they were College players.
Isn't Tunsill (sp) in that situation now?
It would seem unjust, but I think it has happened to some players in the past.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Prior was disciplined by his college or the NCAA, that he had already played in his last college game when the scandal broke, so I can understand the NFL stepping in and issuing discipline. I felt the same way about Reggie Bush, that it seems very unfair for him to escape any accountability for his actions yet leaves others to pay for his misdeeds.

But in Boykin's case, he was suspended by his college team so he has had to pay a price, so for the NFL to come out and discipline him seems a bit like double jeopardy. Same would go for Frank Clark, as he was kicked off the team and missed their bowl game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:45 pm

HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Although Prior's case is real, he didn't break any laws, was not sought out by police or prosecutors and it seems to me that Prior actually got screwed over by the NCAA and the NFL for all of $2500.00. Looking back, this is almost laughable or sad, depending on your point of view.
Otherwise, are their any cases where someone actually broke the 'law' and was suspended for something he did while in college?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Didn't we get into a debate about this one time?

IMO the NFL SHOULD discipline players that use the NFL as a sanctuary to escape punishment from the college/organization that provided them with an opportunity to make millions. College football is a de facto minor league of the NFL anyway, so they might as well come to some sort of agreement that would hold accountable former college players that went on to ply their trade in the NFL. I'm not saying suspend them, rather fine them an appropriate amount and give the money back to the college.

My favorite example is Reggie Bush. The league should have gotten back that $300K that he made and given it to a scholarship program.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:14 pm

I totally ain't buying anybody using the NFL as a sanctuary to escape punishment. It wouldn't matter whether they're going to work for IBM or McDonald's or the NFL they are going to do the same things to minimize their punishment ... the reasons for getting into the NFL go way beyond the old "jail or the Army" type choice. escaping justice don't even enter the equation IMO.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:43 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I totally ain't buying anybody using the NFL as a sanctuary to escape punishment. It wouldn't matter whether they're going to work for IBM or McDonald's or the NFL they are going to do the same things to minimize their punishment ... the reasons for getting into the NFL go way beyond the old "jail or the Army" type choice. escaping justice don't even enter the equation IMO.

IMO it most certainly did with Pryor. He did not leave when he had a chance to in January like most returning seniors did. He waited until after he found out that the NCAA was suspending him for 5 games and subsequently entered the NFL's supplemental draft, so the punishment he was due to face from the NCAA most certainly did motivate him to leave college early and enter the NFL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:53 pm

The problem is we need a back up that can win 3 out of 5 games and now that is not doable.
When I was a kid Earl Morrall was THE backup, now everybody wants to start. Trying to find a quality Backup for RW in the next couple of years is going to be a project.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:47 pm

obiken wrote:The problem is we need a back up that can win 3 out of 5 games and now that is not doable.
When I was a kid Earl Morrall was THE backup, now everybody wants to start. Trying to find a quality Backup for RW in the next couple of years is going to be a project.

What are the odds of a team winning everything with their backup quarterback? Has it even happened? I think Brady won his first SB as a backup to Bledsoe, but as any other team won a SB w/o their season opening, starting quarterback?

So if the odds are that long, is there any sense in devoting a lot of resources to a backup QB being available for 14 or so games?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:58 pm

Hass did damn good as a backup in Indy last year. Better then "other" QB.. .what's his name? You know, he's the one that is now the highest (overpaid) QB in the NFL... Luck? Hass didn't win the title but played great.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:46 pm

What are the odds of a team winning everything with their backup quarterback? Has it even happened? I think Brady won his first SB as a backup to Bledsoe, but as any other team won a SB w/o their season opening, starting quarterback?

So if the odds are that long, is there any sense in devoting a lot of resources to a backup QB being available for 14 or so games?

Is that a serious question RD? Off the top of my head... Rothlisberger, Brady, Warner, Hostetler, Staubach, Plunkett, Young, Bradshaw, Dilfer... Beyond that I'm sure there's more, I'll Google it and provide a link...

Edit: my bad Young didn't do it that same year...still nailed the others.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/arizona ... bowl-stats
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:14 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Is that a serious question RD? Off the top of my head... Rothlisberger, Brady, Warner, Hostetler, Staubach, Plunkett, Young, Bradshaw, Dilfer... Beyond that I'm sure there's more, I'll Google it and provide a link...

Edit: my bad Young didn't do it that same year...still nailed the others.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/arizona ... bowl-stats

Staubach and Craig Morton were platooned, so you can't call Staubach a starter or a backup. It was the ultimate quarterback controversy from which Staubach eventually emerged as the starter. That situation most certainly won't develop in Seattle. Bradshaw and Worthlessburger were both first round picks (Bradshaw a #1 overall, Worthlessburger #11 overall) being groomed as starters, so that's not analogous to the situation here, either. It's unlikely that we'll find a Heisman Trophy winning, #1 overall pick that was a former starter like Jim Plunkett was to step in as Russell's backup. Again, that's not going to happen here. I already mentioned Brady, so scratch him. So by doing my homework for me, you added 3 names...Warner, Hostetler, and Dilfer as the only true backups that won it all. 4 out of 50 SB winning quarterbacks were true backups when the season started, or 8%. Thanks. Now all we have to do is find out how many backups ended up the season as the starter and didn't win it all, like Earl Morrall and Colin Crapperdick, and we'll have ourselves a good idea as to what the chances are of winning it all with the backup quarterback.

If Russell goes down, we're screwed no matter who we have as a backup, so there's no sense in devoting a lot of resources to finding a backup QB. I'd rather have quality depth at almost any other position outside of punter and kicker.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:13 am

Spot on River. OBTW, Vick will be our backup, according to ESPN. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=16617864
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:17 am

That doesn't say Vick will our back up Obi, it says he'd be a good fit.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:39 am

Ok RD. I guess I should have adhered to your criteria through physic ability or something. In my book, a starter is the QB who wins the job coming out of training camp. I would have said the same if Flynn started and Wilson came in and won the whole thing. Your welcome to your theory of they weren't "real" backups because of x,y,z. I'm going to stick with the theory of, if they aren't the starter ( ie the guy sitting on the bench) they are the backup.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:43 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:That doesn't say Vick will our back up Obi, it says he'd be a good fit.

Your right, sorry.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawkfan80 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:49 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Hass did damn good as a backup in Indy last year. Better then "other" QB.. .what's his name? You know, he's the one that is now the highest (overpaid) QB in the NFL... Luck? Hass didn't win the title but played great.

Ya...Hass won some games that someone else was not "Luck"-y enuff to throw to. After all, it must have been the other players that could not win or make plays for that team. An OLD, one foot in the broadcasters chair, player cant possibly be any good as a backup..... :lol: :twisted:
Seahawkfan80
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum