Baldwin extended

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Baldwin extended

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Agent 86
Legacy

Re: Baldwin extended

Postby burrrton » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:47 pm

ADB! Now just keep the "A" in your nick and build on what you did last year.

Great news.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Excellent.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Walked his way to a well deserved F*A*T contact...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:15 pm

Baldwin has such a great set of hands.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Bobby Ingram like.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:17 am

Excellent news.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the closest comparison to ADB is Largent? About the same size, doesn't have elite speed, creates his room through crisp routes and subtle moves to throw off the CB, has great awareness of the field both in finding soft spots in the zone and toeing the sideline, and has incredible hands. The "A" is obviously different, but their skills are similar. The difference for me is that while Largent was elite at several of these--especially his route running and breaks--ADB is "just" great.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:43 am

Oly wrote:Excellent news.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the closest comparison to ADB is Largent? About the same size, doesn't have elite speed, creates his room through crisp routes and subtle moves to throw off the CB, has great awareness of the field both in finding soft spots in the zone and toeing the sideline, and has incredible hands. The "A" is obviously different, but their skills are similar. The difference for me is that while Largent was elite at several of these--especially his route running and breaks--ADB is "just" great.

A little bit, and maybe a lot if I let myself think about it. I would add both are sneaky fast, if you know what I mean. The ability to separate at the right time is a big part of what makes (or made in Largent's case) them both successful.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 am

Oly wrote:Excellent news.

Mostly agree with you on this, he's more like Largent than Engram. I also have heard former players talk about Baldwin's very sharp routes, and seen some of his impressive videos of him making defenders look bad. He's a crafty little guy with great hands, really not unlike a young Largent.
I-5
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:42 am

Sorry, hes not Largent folks. Ingram I'll buy, Largent is too big a lift. Glad to have him back however. Imagine IF RW had a speedster like Bryant, Beckham, or Julio Jones? Wow!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 pm

obiken wrote:Sorry, hes not Largent folks. Ingram I'll buy, Largent is too big a lift. Glad to have him back however.

Not saying he's at Largent's level, just a similar type of receiver in what he does.
Oly
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Always refer to him as Seattle's Hines Ward... Does all the dirty work and then puts the dagger in and twists when it matters most.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:44 pm

There is no shame in saying Doug is Bobby-esque, and there should be no slight taken against #80 when some comps are drawn. Largent was the best, no two ways about it....ADB has some catching up to do for sure, but I can see where the comp is relevant. Hines Ward is a good comp too...except I don't think Doug is dirty. He's a scrapper, but not a dirty player. I respected a lot about Hines Ward, but he was routinely identified by the players themselves as a dirty (as in cheater) player. I know that is not what you meant when you said "dirty work" HC, but I think you get my meaning.

I'm happy for Doug and hope, like was mentioned above, that paying the man doesn't make him less angry. We need to start a campaign about how mediocre he is so he can stick to being ADB. It should be interesting this year. If P-Rich can stay healthy, he can flat out FLY.... but that is kinda seeming like a big if these days. I like our WR/TEs - a big weakness a few years back seems to be a strength. Yay DOUG!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Two comments:

It's great to have ADB in the fold. He's a very underrated receiver and him and Russell have developed a pretty good rapport that's difficult to replace.

And even better, it's great to see two awesome 12's posting again...ObS and Hawk Sista. I always fear the worst when a friend goes silent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:24 pm

I have no problem with the ADB Largent comparisons at all. Both succeeded against long odds. They both relied on guile and extremely disciplined route running as well as excellent acceleration out of breaks to separate from defenders. Neither was particularly fast as far as taking the top off but could still get deep with their crafty route running.Both are very tough and emotional leaders. They are both extremely intelligent.
And most of all, excellent hands, excellent.It was shocking when Largent dropped a pass, until his final season i really cant remember many at all.
Baldwin was #1 in reliability and I believe #1 in TD catches by a wide out last year.

Hes better than Engram in my book.Bobby was a hell of a player player but never put up the type of numbers Baldwin is now.And the end zone drop on 4th down that sealed the 2004 playoff loss to the Rams is a play ADB makes. Largent too.

Our Heinz Ward is in Detroit. His name is Golden Tate. I said 3 years ago I could see ADB and Tate as a modern day Duper and Clayton but it didn't work out.

Its OK we have Lockett now.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:07 pm

And even better, it's great to see two awesome 12's posting again...ObS and Hawk Sista.

Heartily seconded!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:58 pm

And even better, it's great to see two awesome 12's posting again...ObS and Hawk Sista. I always fear the worst when a friend goes silent.

Very sweet, RD. Especially when one of us has had the C word. I'll make sure to check in more often.... Thank you guys though.

Thanks for bringing up the 2004 loss on 4th down to the Rams......... I can still see that play in my head. :shock: :o :oops:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:There is no shame in saying Doug is Bobby-esque, and there should be no slight taken against #80 when some comps are drawn. Largent was the best, no two ways about it....ADB has some catching up to do for sure, but I can see where the comp is relevant. Hines Ward is a good comp too...except I don't think Doug is dirty. He's a scrapper, but not a dirty player. I respected a lot about Hines Ward, but he was routinely identified by the players themselves as a dirty (as in cheater) player. I know that is not what you meant when you said "dirty work" HC, but I think you get my meaning.

I'm happy for Doug and hope, like was mentioned above, that paying the man doesn't make him less angry. We need to start a campaign about how mediocre he is so he can stick to being ADB. It should be interesting this year. If P-Rich can stay healthy, he can flat out FLY.... but that is kinda seeming like a big if these days. I like our WR/TEs - a big weakness a few years back seems to be a strength. Yay DOUG!

Always felt that that reputation for Ward was undeserved, didn't feel he was egregiously dirty anymore than I felt Tates hit on Lee was. He was a "football" player not a receiver IMHO, willing to do whatever ( and more) to help his team succeed, I see that in Baldwin ( as well as seemingly always being the "clutch" guy). Neither moped about targets, money, roles, play calls, QB play etc. Lead by example, and are always at the front of the line to accept responsibility for lack of success, and deflects much praise when given...

Always had a soft spot for those kinds of players.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:18 pm

OBS..... Chemo brain is a b**** - how did I forget something as important as this? Glad we are both on the right side of this disease for now. Since on the subject, oncologist said this Tuesday that all is clear. Screens, blood, scans etc... All good. :)
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Awesome news Sis and I third it is nice to see the ragtag Shack crowd start to stir things up again. Season must be coming.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Hawktawk wrote:
Our Heinz Ward is in Detroit. His name is Golden Tate. I said 3 years ago I could see ADB and Tate as a modern day Duper and Clayton but it didn't work out.

Its OK we have Lockett now.

The first part of that, I have never really agreed with. Letting Tate walk was absolutely the right move IMO.
The second part of that is exactly why I'm glad Tate is gone, because Lockett, is going to be a MUCH better receiver than Tate. He already runs MUCH better MUCH more disciplined routes.
I'd take either Baldwin or Lockett over Tate every time. I've never missed Tate, and don't understand all the lamenting over him....Now if Lockett were let go, I'd lead a REVOLT!!!
monkey
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:OBS..... Chemo brain is a b**** - how did I forget something as important as this? Glad we are both on the right side of this disease for now. Since on the subject, oncologist said this Tuesday that all is clear. Screens, blood, scans etc... All good. :)

Great news sis!!!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:18 am

Hawktawk wrote:Awesome news Sis and I third it is nice to see the ragtag Shack crowd start to stir things up again. Season must be coming.

You can now add mykc to the ragtag Shack crowd starting to stir things up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:23 pm

I agree with those who say Lockett is a great replacement for Tate...Tate is a very talented player, but Lockett is already much more disciplined route runner, seems to have a stronger work ethic especially as a youngster, and is just as explosive if not more with the ball in his hands. Another feather in Pete and John's drafting and development cap....
I-5
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Ill always like Tate and appreciate his time. His block on Lee......the Golden Hail Mary.His physical YAC runs. It was the rumored off field stuff with Wilsons then wife and animosity with Harvin that led to Seattle's decision to let him walk.

Tate had an excellent year last season and with Megatron retired we will see what kind of guy he can be.

I agree I like Lockette better than Tate overall. Tate is more physical with a bigger frame but Lockette the rocket takes the top off it. He is HOF type stuff as a return man if he does that for 10 years.
Its all good now.Baldwin, Kearse, Rocket. and whoever emerges between P Rich and the rooks.

Russ has the best set of weapons hes had whether Graham is ready or not.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Now if Future would just show up to explain to us all how Lockett isn't even a viable #2, and how Seattle's receivers are on par or below the receiver talent in SF or how Karpernick performs every bit as good as Wilson we would be all set..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:58 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Now if Future would just show up to explain to us all how Lockett isn't even a viable #2, and how Seattle's receivers are on par or below the receiver talent in SF or how Karpernick performs every bit as good as Wilson we would be all set..

LOL yeah don't hold your breath.

Its the true definition of a troll. They are allergic to crow. I'm wrong probably 50% of the time, especially player evaluation but Ive never had a problem saying I was wrong.

You will see Future when and if Seattle loses to the 9ers, not before. You may not see him for quite a while :D :D :D
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:26 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Now if Future would just show up to explain to us all how Lockett isn't even a viable #2, and how Seattle's receivers are on par or below the receiver talent in SF or how Karpernick performs every bit as good as Wilson we would be all set..

I wonder what happened to Futureite. Like him or loathe him, he always attracted a lot of responses. He was a lot like CP Returns in that regard. His departure corresponded with Kaepernick augering in.

Heck, we could start a thread on how many former posters haven't been here in some time. I know that Anthony still posts over at .net. His pledge to quit posting must have been limited to this forum only.

Kalibane has been MIA for some time, too. I have his phone number, perhaps I'll rattle his cage sometime.

Hopefully once the season starts, we'll see some of these old, familiar faces re-emerge.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 pm

I got to give Anthony credit. He was the biggest Wilson supporter in here and around the time of the AZ loss even I was turning on Anthony and Russ. Im surprised Anthony hasn't been around to serve up some crow. I sure would be.

The more the merrier you know? I hate thinking we've run someone off by being too abrasive and rude. We forget most of the stuff in here is about a kids game but we sure do take it serious sometimes.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I got to give Anthony credit. He was the biggest Wilson supporter in here and around the time of the AZ loss even I was turning on Anthony and Russ. Im surprised Anthony hasn't been around to serve up some crow. I sure would be.

The more the merrier you know? I hate thinking we've run someone off by being too abrasive and rude. We forget most of the stuff in here is about a kids game but we sure do take it serious sometimes.

Agreed, Hawktalk. I have to plead guilty for being one of the causes of running off Anthony. I was as bad if not worse than anyone else in here (worse even than Roach) for pursuing him over what was clearly an obsession. I just couldn't leave him alone. He'd give Wilson a pass on the exact same thing that he'd crucify Hass over, could never admit that Russell had even the smallest degree of responsibility for that pick in SB49. But he did do a lot of statistical research, so his overall contributions were positive. And like Futureite, his posts always generated numerous responses.

But if Anthony did come back and try to cash in some "I told you so's", I'd defend my take. I never lost confidence in Russell, never once advocated benching him or downgraded my overall assessment of him. He had a rough 9 games at the start of 2015, and I viewed it as quite normal. Every quarterback goes through stretches like what Russell did last year.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:39 pm

I second that. I never lost faith in Wilson, or went looking for his benching or anything, but there's a difference between ignoring some responsibility of one player, with statements like "do you know the player ran the right route" or " well it's not his fault for not seeing open guys when he has time because he didn't have time on a couple plays prior to that"...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:51 am

I look at it this way.
Both sides of the argument were right.
Truth is, Wilson DIDN'T have sufficient time, far too often, he was on pace to break the all time sacks record.
At the same exact time, the truth is, Wilson was partly responsible for that, because he was holding the ball too long, not trusting his reads, and waiting for something to develop deeper.
Again the truth is, the play calls were intentionally designed to maximize the number of explosive plays they could get out of the passing game, and not designed to be a quick passing game.
So three things came together last year to change the offense, 1. Russell began to trust his reads, and get rid of the ball more quickly. 2. The offensive line got better at pass blocking, and gave him more time. 3. Bevell changed up the offense, throwing in more quick passing plays, and fewer long developing plays.
Those three things together, produced statistically, the greatest half of football ever played by a QB.
I cannot WAIT to see the continuation of those three things this year.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:59 pm

monkey wrote:I look at it this way.
Both sides of the argument were right.
Truth is, Wilson DIDN'T have sufficient time, far too often, he was on pace to break the all time sacks record.
At the same exact time, the truth is, Wilson was partly responsible for that, because he was holding the ball too long, not trusting his reads, and waiting for something to develop deeper.
Again the truth is, the play calls were intentionally designed to maximize the number of explosive plays they could get out of the passing game, and not designed to be a quick passing game.
So three things came together last year to change the offense, 1. Russell began to trust his reads, and get rid of the ball more quickly. 2. The offensive line got better at pass blocking, and gave him more time. 3. Bevell changed up the offense, throwing in more quick passing plays, and fewer long developing plays.
Those three things together, produced statistically, the greatest half of football ever played by a QB.
I cannot WAIT to see the continuation of those three things this year.

I think that's a pretty good assessment, and pretty much what most of us were saying. The problem was that Anthony wasn't attributing ANY fault to Russell.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum