NFL to Invetigate Peyton Manning?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

NFL to Invetigate Peyton Manning?

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:57 am

Well, Hawktalk, you may finally get your wish. Although the NFLPA is fighting it, the league may look into allegations that Manning used human growth hormones that were banned by the league.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/n ... t-want-to/

As mentioned in the article, given the way he reacted to the accusations, it's very unlikely that Manning will pull a Brady and refuse to cooperate even though the league has no authority over him whatsoever.

Interesting that the news organization that broke the story, Al Jazeera America, no longer exists.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: NFL to Invetigate Peyton Manning?

Postby savvyman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:14 pm

RiverDog wrote:Well, Hawktalk, you may finally get your wish. Although the NFLPA is fighting it, the league may look into allegations that Manning used human growth hormones that were banned by the league.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/n ... t-want-to/

As mentioned in the article, given the way he reacted to the accusations, it's very unlikely that Manning will pull a Brady and refuse to cooperate even though the league has no authority over him whatsoever.

Interesting that the news organization that broke the story, Al Jazeera America, no longer exists.

I saw that documentary - I can't recall all the details but I believe that they had the proof that some Doctor had prescribed human growth hormone for Peyton Manning's "Wife" at the time of his injury - there were other things too - - And when there is that much smoke you usually will find a fire.....
savvyman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:43 pm

savvyman wrote:I saw that documentary - I can't recall all the details but I believe that they had the proof that some Doctor had prescribed human growth hormone for Peyton Manning's "Wife" at the time of his injury - there were other things too - - And when there is that much smoke you usually will find a fire.....

The primary source was a pharmacist named Charlie Sly, who has since recanted his accusations. The NFLPA is fighting it as it could drag in several current players such as Clay Mathews and Julius Peppers. I've always wondered about the pharmacist, how he could get away with disclosing information like that in the first place. It would seem to be a violation of right to privacy laws. Perhaps that's why he backed off his accusations.

Although there's not a lot of evidence, the league needs to look into it. I know of a lot of Tom Brady fans that are crying foul.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:12 am

He should be suspended for the rest of his life!! :D Stupid, the man is out of the league, what are they going to do to him????
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:29 am

obiken wrote:He should be suspended for the rest of his life!! :D Stupid, the man is out of the league, what are they going to do to him????

True, the league does not have any authority over Manning to compel him to testify. But the conventional wisdom is that he'd be willing to do so given how vehemently he denied the charges. If I were innocent as he apparently believes he is, I'd be itching to tell my story to anyone that'd listen and clear my name.

But the league is caught in between a rock and a hard spot. There really isn't enough evidence to launch an investigation. The star witness has recanted his accusation and the organization that broke the story has gone out of business. They don't have 11 out of 12 footballs measuring under pressure and a team complaining like they did in Deflate gate. They don't want to set a precedent of investigating every little rumor and baseless charge, and the NFLPA is fighting in on the same grounds as they have several other active players that could become part of the investigation.

But there is a significant number of fans that for one reason or another, don't care for Manning and see a difference in how the league treated their other sure fire HOF QB, Tom Brady, and are crying foul. My sense is that they'll talk to Manning about it, but that they won't call it an investigation.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:08 am

HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:26 pm

*sigh*

Don't know if there's any truth to it, but if there is, it's a miracle. Al fckng Jazeera...
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:55 pm

But River, what IF Manning says: yeah I did it, deal with it punks, now what. I had a Seg unit for inmates that did that to me, but what can they do to Manning now. The feds could move in I suppose if It was Steroids, but a lot of these supplements banned by the league are not necessarily illegal.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:07 am

I watched the documentary twice and tried to have an open mind. I struggle with that sometimes. But it had the ring of truth. It was very weird as a documentary but fascinating. Its the type of undercover sting journalism US media doesn't do anymore. I think they all did it. Clay Mathews, Julius Peppers, James Harrison all are freaks who are performing at peak level in their latter stages of their career. Ryan Howard is a big dense bopper. Manning went from not being able to play pitch and catch with high schoolers to a couple of Super bowls and a record setting season and his head seemed to grow a bit.

They did it IMO. I don't care. The leagues need to get real about pain management and player recovery from injury instead of playing this shadowy shell game.
Its on the pro leagues. That's the real revelation of the documentary and when the name Manning came up everyone went right past the point.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:41 pm

obiken wrote:But River, what IF Manning says: yeah I did it, deal with it punks, now what. I had a Seg unit for inmates that did that to me, but what can they do to Manning now. The feds could move in I suppose if It was Steroids, but a lot of these supplements banned by the league are not necessarily illegal.

They could do the same thing baseball has done to Pete Rose: They can keep him out of the HOF and ban him from participating in any league events, which means they wouldn't even have to let him in the stadium of any NFL game. But he's not saying something like that. I'd bet my paycheck on it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:16 am

No question. I think he's home.
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum