The first time in a long time the Kiper pick

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The first time in a long time the Kiper pick

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:32 pm

for the Seahawks at least makes some sense.
At least he finally understands at least one of our team needs.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/112063/kiper-mock-1-0-reaction-seahawks
monkey
Legacy

Re: The first time in a long time the Kiper pick

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:12 pm

I'd rather have Antonio Richardson.
We'll see how the draft unfolds but there looks to be a number of real good OL in this draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:44 pm

I will be sick to my stomach if ASJ is left on the board after we pick @32. No homerism. He'd just make a ton of sense (as would a rangy WR or OL).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:49 pm

HawkWow wrote:I will be sick to my stomach if ASJ is left on the board after we pick @32. No homerism. He'd just make a ton of sense (as would a rangy WR or OL).

I couldn't imagine them passing on him either. Ultra talented and HUGE. Plus, we could get rid of Miller's big numbers and get even younger on Offense. I'm not sure how unhappy our FO is with Breno. Sometimes I think he actually does a decent job at RT.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:11 pm

i just think it's hilarious that Kiper is trying to over compensate for how stupid he looked regarding Russell Wilson by putting Manziel on top of his big board and citing Brees and Wilson as the reasoning.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:01 pm

kalibane wrote:i just think it's hilarious that Kiper is trying to over compensate for how stupid he looked regarding Russell Wilson by putting Manziel on top of his big board and citing Brees and Wilson as the reasoning.

It is hilarious
monkey
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:
HawkWow wrote:I will be sick to my stomach if ASJ is left on the board after we pick @32. No homerism. He'd just make a ton of sense (as would a rangy WR or OL).

I couldn't imagine them passing on him either. Ultra talented and HUGE. Plus, we could get rid of Miller's big numbers and get even younger on Offense. I'm not sure how unhappy our FO is with Breno. Sometimes I think he actually does a decent job at RT.

What's crazy bro is the fact he's being down graded because of " a drop in production". he and Miller are similar in many ways. Both are getting bad rapped for being team players and staying with the line, blocking their butts off, instead of catching TDs. Love Money Miller, but as you suggest, he's a bit too pricey (if we can get the more agile ASJ).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Take Richardson if he's still on the board. Play him at RT and slide him over to LT when Okung has his yearly injury. Then when Okung's contract is up we have some leverage and a ready replacement at a much lesser cap hit should it come to that. We don't want to go through the same problems as when Walt retired.

We have to upgrade the OL as a top priority.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:18 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Take Richardson if he's still on the board. Play him at RT and slide him over to LT when Okung has his yearly injury. Then when Okung's contract is up we have some leverage and a ready replacement at a much lesser cap hit should it come to that. We don't want to go through the same problems as when Walt retired.

We have to upgrade the OL as a top priority.

This ^. Completely agree with OL being our achilles heal. It would be nice to see RW with another second or two to survey the field before running for his life.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

I go OL first.
It's tiresome, and we haven't done well with 1st rd line picks, but it remains our achilles heal moving forward.
IMO, our guys up front are adequate, at best, in pass protection.
On top of that, you have to protect RW a little better than 44 sacks.
I know - WR separation, Wilson holding onto the ball too long at times, blah,blah,blah. And that is true - to a degree.
But most of our sacks aren't from opposing secondaries or RW taking too long to make a decision.
It's up front that's the problem, and our F.O. better fix it, pronto.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Glad to see you around OBS!
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 pm

Yah, don't be shy, ObS.

Seattle seems to want a big body WR. They had Williams and I thought Chris Harper was the answer last year but he couldn't make the cut.
There might be a number of larger but productive WRs in the middle rounds like Donte Moncrief, Mike Davis, and in earlier rounds Brandon Coleman, and Martavis Bryant.

They like players who can be a mismatch or with special characteristics so if they go WR in the first maybe someone to keep an eye on is Kelvin Benjamin from Florida State at 6-5 235 and a huge wingspan.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:05 pm

Hey, ObS! Nice to see you around.

I agree with the priorities, either OL or a big WR. As much as people hate to admit it, there is a major disadvantage to having the shortest starting QB in the league, and that is that the trajectory of his passes have to have more arch on them than a taller QB. The fact that our WR's are so short, with Tate and Harvin being under 6', makes this disadvantage even more dramatic. Russell had a much better year with Sid Rice in the lineup than he's having this year with Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse. I'm also very uneasy about having placed so much faith in Percy Harvin.

But if a stud OL falls to us, I'm fine with us snapping him up. IMO we go with the best player available at those two positions.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:54 pm

RiverDog wrote:Hey, ObS! Nice to see you around.

I agree with the priorities, either OL or a big WR. As much as people hate to admit it, there is a major disadvantage to having the shortest starting QB in the league, and that is that the trajectory of his passes have to have more arch on them than a taller QB. The fact that our WR's are so short, with Tate and Harvin being under 6', makes this disadvantage even more dramatic. Russell had a much better year with Sid Rice in the lineup than he's having this year with Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse. I'm also very uneasy about having placed so much faith in Percy Harvin.

But if a stud OL falls to us, I'm fine with us snapping him up. IMO we go with the best player available at those two positions.

It's the release point that determines the necessary trajectory and I would suggest Russell's is higher than many including Philip Rivers and maybe Stafford when he gets lazy. But we've discussed this a lot over the last couple of years.

Someone in another thread mentioned how he had more respect for Rice now that he's out. I think his size and athleticism is missed and might be a contributing factor in the passing game malaise no matter how well Kearse has tried to fill in and Tate making big plays after the catch. The mismatch isn't there at the moment.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Someone in another thread mentioned how he had more respect for Rice now that he's out. I think his size and athleticism is missed and might be a contributing factor in the passing game malaise no matter how well Kearse has tried to fill in and Tate making big plays after the catch. The mismatch isn't there at the moment.

Like the old Cinderella song, "Dont' know what you got (Till it's gone)"

I completely agree. Rice wasnt targeted as often as we would have liked (perhaps because he was unable to get open...) but he did drag his man and a safety with him. The only guy we have now who's capable of that has a headache and isnt cleared to play.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Pain_Train » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:13 pm

OMG. I agree with Kiper.

I've been scouting WRs and TEs for the last few months and Allen Robinson is the guy I think could have the most impact who is likely to be there.

When I take the blinders off and look hard at ASJ, I see he just doesn't have the elite speed and explosion out of his breaks that would seperate him to the next level. Rob Rang compared ASJ to Martellus Bennet and I think it is fair. I was hoping ASJ could be like San Diego's Gates, but I haven't seen it on tape.

Allen Robinson has only mediocre timed speed, or I think he would be rated higher as a prospect. But he looks "fast enough" on tape. When he does get the ball, he runs like a RB with his cuts and moves. A good blocker too, which is a requirement to be a WR on our team. If he runs in the 4.4's during the combine, I think he'll be in the early 20s though.

The big Kelvin Benjamin from Florida state is intriguing as well but will likely be gone. He is another BMW type, but appears a bit faster. Still raw as a route runner though -- but who cares when he can just run the the end zone and outjump everybody.
Pain_Train
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum