Chancellor and Bennett

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Chancellor and Bennett

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:50 pm

It certainly frees up money to give Bennett, that said, the front office has been consistent in drafting and signing players continuously for depth there every year until this past off-season where they focused on tackles instead of ends...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:58 pm

This is his 10th year and maybe not coincidentally the final year on his contract.

He signed a 4-year extension in 2014, didn't he?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Old but Slow wrote:My view of it reflects the management style of the franchise. Both players complained about their pay, Bennett played anyway while Chancellor held out. Pay Bennett now and show the team and the league how you do business.

My sentiments exactly.

And to answer the question as to who's going to be more difficult to replace, Chancellor or Bennett, let me simplify my comments in that if given a choice between an All Pro defensive end or an All Pro strong safety, I'll take the defensive end each and every time.

FYI, here's a recent article on Michael Bennett's unhappiness with his contract:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -contract/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Fair enough, it's an opinion of positional value. Though I will point out, that in this instance only one of the two players carries that distinction, and Micheal isn't the one.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:07 pm

NorthHawk wrote:There is something else to consider.
Cliff Avril has said he's only going to play 10 years in the NFL.
This is his 10th year and maybe not coincidentally the final year on his contract.
Can we afford to lose both Avril and Bennett? Does that put pressure on our FO to re-sign Bennett?
I think it does.

Avril is actual signed for two more seasons. He hasn't wavered on his position that this is his last contract. Who knows ultimately if that will be how it plays out. A person is definitely capable of changing their mind.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:17 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Avril is actual signed for two more seasons. He hasn't wavered on his position that this is his last contract. Who knows ultimately if that will be how it plays out. A person is definitely capable of changing their mind.

I've been looking at that too. It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of his contract, wouldn't be shocked at all to see him retire at the end of his contract. If Bennett plays his current deal out we could have two huge pieces to replace in a few years, but like you said, a lot can and will happen between now and the end of their contracts.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:18 pm

NO, I don't see it folks, IF you give into him, then where does it stop? Kam will definitely want a new contract. Then Earl Thomas, who is definitely underpaid, will want one. You have to hold the line!! Its the nature of NFL contracts not being guaranteed, except for the up front money, that this will be an ongoing problem IF you cave.
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:30 pm

obiken wrote:NO, I don't see it folks, IF you give into him, then where does it stop? Kam will definitely want a new contract. Then Earl Thomas, who is definitely underpaid, will want one. You have to hold the line!! Its the nature of NFL contracts not being guaranteed, except for the up front money, that this will be an ongoing problem IF you cave.

The major difference between Bennett and kam and earl and sherm and RW and wags, ECT... Is that they are all paid in the top 3-5 in their positions where Bennett is the 27th highest paid DL in the league. It's much easier to look at Bennetts contract and see he is under paid than any of those other guys.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:33 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Fair enough, it's an opinion of positional value. Though I will point out, that in this instance only one of the two players carries that distinction, and Micheal isn't the one.

OK, I'll lower the distinction to Pro Bowl. My point is that Bennett is at the top of his game at a high value position while Kam is coming off a relatively sub par (for him) season at a low value position.

My second point is the one that ObS made, and that is who do you reward by renegotiating their contract and giving them a raise: The player that stuck it out and continued to play or the one that held out and hurt his team in doing so.

I got a kick out of Kam's reaction to Pete Prisco picking him as the Hawk's most overrated player. Here's what Prisco said about Kam:

“Chancellor is a big hitter, which is why the highlight shows love him, but he has never been good in coverage and that was exposed even more last season,” Prisco wrote. “In the past four seasons, he has six interceptions and he doesn’t do a great job when asked to cover tight ends. The game has changed. Some 10 to 15 years ago Chancellor would have been an all-out star. But with offenses spread out, he’s becoming more of a liability.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... publicity/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:00 am

Sorry, you'll have to do better than Prisco for me to put ANY stock in that opinion. This is the SAME guy last week who begrudgingly placed Wilson in the franchise QB category while glowingly did so with Luck, continually has harped about him being a game manager, to small etc. Nope Priscos opinion means slightly more than a talking turd to me....

By the by, I personally pointed out Kams coverage issues his FIRST season in the league, and have continued to point them out. That said, a LOT of those criticisms being used now, weren't Kams man. This is the NFL not junior high, the TE isn't always the safeties responsibility, that isn't how modern advanced defensive football works. Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of the game gets that.
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:33 am

RiverDog wrote:I got a kick out of Kam's reaction to Pete Prisco picking him as the Hawk's most overrated player. Here's what Prisco said about Kam:

Prisco... the perfect example of the J-school flunkie talking about things he knows nothing about (see also: Skip Bayless). Just look at who his pick was last year. Clickbait writer.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:26 am

Avril is actual signed for two more seasons. He hasn't wavered on his position that this is his last contract. Who knows ultimately if that will be how it plays out. A person is definitely capable of changing their mind.

You and Burrrton are both correct, HC. 2017 is the last year for both Avril and Bennett.
My apologies if I led anyone astray.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:17 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Sorry, you'll have to do better than Prisco for me to put ANY stock in that opinion. This is the SAME guy last week who begrudgingly placed Wilson in the franchise QB category while glowingly did so with Luck, continually has harped about him being a game manager, to small etc. Nope Priscos opinion means slightly more than a talking turd to me....

By the by, I personally pointed out Kams coverage issues his FIRST season in the league, and have continued to point them out. That said, a LOT of those criticisms being used now, weren't Kams man. This is the NFL not junior high, the TE isn't always the safeties responsibility, that isn't how modern advanced defensive football works. Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of the game gets that.

I wasn't trying to reflect on any of Prisco's observations as those of my own, rather I was intrigued by the conversation between him and Kam. The only reason I highlighted Prisco's quote was to show how inflammatory the remark was and how Kam handled it through his tweets. Quite professional.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:45 pm

burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:07 pm

He's got 2 years left with this deal.
Both Okung and Lynch are gone, so maybe they can fit him a raise with the extra money from those two.
I agree with the writer, though, they have to be careful with the precedent it sets.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum