Are the Seahawks now Russell Wilson's team?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Are the Seahawks now Russell Wilson's team?

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:22 am

I think so. He's entering his 5th year so he's now a seasoned vet playing on his 2nd contract, Beast is gone, and the offense over the last 7 games last season took off like a rocket. Defense is still king like it's always been since Pete arrived, but you can't call Russell a game manager anymore and keep a straight face. It used to be that Russell's job was to protect the ball and not put the defense in bad spots, to score when given the opportunity, and basically play not to lose the game rather than going out and winning it. That's all changed.

Here's a pretty good article that lays out our strengths and weaknesses...as if any of us don't already know what they are. Not a lot to argue about, except to what degree our offensive line is a weakness, something that we've beaten to death recently.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /87347724/
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Are the Seahawks now Russell Wilson's team?

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 am

I didn't read the link, but I think it became his team last year when Lynch then Rawls went out.
He took the reins and succeeded with a changed Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:18 am

Absolutely, River. The dynamic changed significantly for the last 7 games last season. I'm really hoping that, even with a healthy Rawls, they put the pressure on opposing offenses by letting Russell sling it.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:14 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I didn't read the link, but I think it became his team last year when Lynch then Rawls went out.
He took the reins and succeeded with a changed Offense.

I think it became his team when Lynch went out. You could see the difference, and he seemed to really take a shine to Rawls.
Yeah, I see this as Russell's team, and IMO that's a really good thing. Nothing against Lynch, but I think that with the way that Russell has progressed as a QB, we're going to be a better offense than we ever were this year, precisely because it's become Wilson's team.
Like I said before, if I had money to throw away on a bet, I'd plunk it all down on Wilson winning the MVP this year.
It's going to happen :!:
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:47 pm

As a matter of circumstances, the Offensive load was dumped on him and he excelled.
I hope the run game can return to when Lynch was dominating, but it's good to know they can change things up if needed.
We're now a multi-dimensional Offense, and teams will have to plan for it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:32 am

NorthHawk wrote:As a matter of circumstances, the Offensive load was dumped on him and he excelled.
I hope the run game can return to when Lynch was dominating, but it's good to know they can change things up if needed.

YUP Has been from Day 1.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:43 am

Its always been Wilsons team, grumbling about excessive whiteness. too much off field pub, whatever, notwithstanding.The guy has been the leader from day one.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Its always been Wilsons team, grumbling about excessive whiteness. too much off field pub, whatever, notwithstanding.The guy has been the leader from day one.

I disagree. You wouldn't be hearing rumors about Russell not being black enough, players messing around with his wife, et al if he were the undisputed, unquestioned leader. He was one of many leaders, not 'The Man' in the same way a Brady, Rodgers, or Manning would be thought of. That seems to have changed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:As a matter of circumstances, the Offensive load was dumped on him and he excelled.

From the Chicago game Wilson's rookie year forward I never once felt they weren't a multifaceted offense. Especially they last three where they were top 7 in the NFL. When Seattle's offense is "right" they throw the ball accurately and are effective, and its been like that for quite some time. The formula in Seattle seems to be throw the ball for explosive plays and run effectively in the first half and establish a lead, dial back the passing and grind out the victory in the second half. IMHO its a preference, or philosophy, not something that was done out of necessity.

It's doubtful to me they change that entirely. Wilson's attempts will go up ( they have every year), but the idea they will throw the ball first, and excessively more often seems farfetched to me. ( they didn't do that last year during that historic seven game stretch with Michaels running the ball either).

They throw more when necessary ( but last year I believe it was the Rams first game and Pittsburgh where Wilson had the most attempts ~ one was a comeback attempt the other a shootout) but as a core offensive philosophy? Doubtful.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:38 am

The perception was they needed the run game to set up a limited pass game.
The stats showed differently, but the perception was there.
Now every team knows that isn't the case. Russell can throw from the pocket as well as any QB to add to his run ability, and the opposing Defenses have to plan accordingly.
That added dimension means time spent countering this threat by opposing teams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:18 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I disagree. You wouldn't be hearing rumors about Russell not being black enough, players messing around with his wife, et al if he were the undisputed, unquestioned leader. He was one of many leaders, not 'The Man' in the same way a Brady, Rodgers, or Manning would be thought of. That seems to have changed.

I think its splitting hairs but one can be the leader without everyone in the organization accepting or respecting that. Its no different than any other endeavor. Wilson outworked a veteran who had basically been hand picked for the job and took a 7-9 team to within a defensive collapse of the NFC title game. He was handing out cheat sheets developed from film study to his receivers on plane rides home from road games from day one.After his beautiful arching rainbow to rice to stun the Patriots ET said "if they didn't believe in him before they do now"It was his 6th or 7th game as a pro.
He was one of the most proficient quarterbacks ever to be denied the SB MVP in only his second season even though he didn't make the team punt until late in the game despite 38 yards from lynch.

Hes always been the first guy in last guy out. The day after the AZ loss in 2013 he was in the Vmac at 3:30 AM studying film with Pete.

Hes the guy who organizes off season training.He was the one who brought the team to Hawaii after the devastating loss in SB 49

Lynch got hurt and disappeared to California for 8 weeks. No helping out, encouraging on the sidelines.do you think Wilson would ever consider doing that?Then lynch pulled up lame and didn't even travel to Minnesota to root for his teammates after gobbling up first team reps all week.he gave Carroll 1 hour warning. again.... :shock:
Lynch was a leader, an attitude, a heartbeat but he wasn't THE leader. He lacked the social grace and uplifting personality.

Yeah there's lots of leaders but it all flipped when the swinging ding dong showed up.
Russell P Wilson is who stirs the drink. Any other guy behind this line the team is 500 at best.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 pm

I got the feeling that the LOB were the vocal and spiritual leaders the first few years after RW's arrival. Specifically the Earl,Sherm, Kam and Browner days. I think they willfully past the torch to Russell last season.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:32 pm

Earl sherm Kam and browner went 14-18, Lynch too in the years of 2010 and 2011. After Wilson its been 51-21 with numerous team and NFL QB records in only 4 seasons.

Wilson took the torch.Nobody handed it to him.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:54 pm

You're handing an awful lot of credit to Wilson there. He deserves some of that credit, no doubt about it, but claiming ET,Kam ( who wasn't even starting for quite a bit of that time frame, and was behind Milloy) Sherm ( again not even the third DB for a 1 1/2 years of that time frame behind Trufant and WTIII) and Browner seems to be revisionists history.

That team also didn't have Wagner, Bennett, Avril, Irvin... It's a team sport, dismissing the need for growth and improvement ( or is the claim what we saw from Wilson at the end of last year and what we saw against Arizona game one the same quality of play?).

It is almost like you are dismissing the hundred or so picks and moves this team has made during that time span and claiming Seattle would be just as successful if they had the Browns current roster with Wilson, which IMHO is silly.

Not sure if it's adoration of amnesia, but the team was laying that groundwork both before and after Wilson. He deserves HIS credit, but not everyone else's to boot.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Marcus only started 2 games in the Russell Wilson era. Milloy was retired. I think it was at one time Matty's team until he left for Tennessee and then the Legion of Boom became the heart of the team until RW kicked the damn door down in 2014 and vigorously grabbed the torch in which the LOB was only to happy to relinquish to their King. So my answer to the question is
Yes this is Russell Wilson's team now. He's earned it.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Not sure if you are responding to me or not, but the point I was making was that Sherman and Kam shouldn't be saddled with some win/loss record when they seldom ( if at all) saw the field prior to Wilson's arrival. It isn't close to the same team that was here in 10' and 11' half the defense was turned over, as well as a ton of the offense, and it seemed that that was being glossed over with the well they only went 11-14 but then Wilson came so he deserves the credit statement ( which IMHO is ludicrous).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:34 pm

It didn't even become "his" offense until Marshawn got hurt. I doubt that even today, the defense would consider Russell to be the "team's leader"..If that goes to anyone besides Pete, then it's Earl and Kam. (although I'm not sure if Kam still would feel that way or want it until his contract is redone)
js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Wow
a lot of vitriol there. It inst Wilson's fault that some of the guys couldn't crack the starting lineup day one like he did. If they could have maybe they wouldn't have been 7-9 with Hass, Whitehurst and Tavaris?

Jesus, you people are unbelievable in your Wilson bias
Hes been the difference maker. You are delusional if you cant accept that.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:46 am

I tend to agree with Roach on this one. Yes, Russell was the difference maker. Nearly all successful NFL teams have a "difference maker" for a quarterback. But there were a whole hell of a lot of other acquisitions that went on both immediately before (Beast), during (Wagner), and after (Bennett, Avril) Russell's arrival, any one of which their absence could have had a significant, negative effect on our team today. It wasn't always "Russell's team". Whether you like the term or not, he was filling the role of the game manager, throwing infrequently with instructions not to turn the ball over and put the defense in bad positions, even though most of us agreed that he could do a lot more if he were asked to.

Up until midway of last season, Russell wasn't asked to be "The Man" like the other top tier quarterbacks around the league. He did what he was told, and for the most part, did it well. As someone pointed out, his passing attempts have gone up steadily each season, an indication of the coaching staff's increasing confidence in him and evidence that he's becoming less and less of the game manager and more and more like "The Man," hence the title and OP of the thread.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:13 am

Most of us will never know what goes on in the Locker Room, but on field it seems to me there were a few steps where he built some respect.
The Chicago game was an early example, and I think the playoff loss at Atlanta where he brought the team back were big building blocks.
How he handled himself after the losses and wins were also factors in the respect from fans.
He's definitely the leader of the Offense, and I would think one of the leaders of the team as a whole, but I think this team has a lot of leaders on it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 am

Hawktawk wrote:Wow
a lot of vitriol there. It inst Wilson's fault that some of the guys couldn't crack the starting lineup day one like he did. If they could have maybe they wouldn't have been 7-9 with Hass, Whitehurst and Tavaris?

Jesus, you people are unbelievable in your Wilson bias
Hes been the difference maker. You are delusional if you cant accept that.

Who claimed he wasn't a difference maker? No one on any post said that. People simply didn't in general forget the hundreds of moves that built this team because of being enamored with one player. Teams are a collective success, not an individual one.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 am

HumanCockroach wrote:
Who claimed he wasn't a difference maker? No one on any post said that. People simply didn't in general forget the hundreds of moves that built this team because of being enamored with one player. Teams are a collective success, not an individual one.

I couldn't agree more. There is no I in team. And clearly we have had the most proficient FO in Hawks history and really one of the all time great tandems in Schneider and PC. Thank god they are locked up.

Yes defenders such as Wags, Bennett and Avril were huge acquisitions but having a QB who keeps the chains moving with his athleticism and smarts and makes few mistakes (turnovers)really helps a defense as well.

The thread says is it Wilson's team?I didn't ask the question just responded my way.

In fairness you all are right, there is no one "leader" on a great team. There are many.

But what is the most coveted position in the game? How many franchises would sell the farm for what we have had from day one? We got a potential HOF guy behind center who has a human highlight reel of Houdini escapes behind a pathetic line. If guys on that defense proud as it is don't want to go to war for Mr Wilson and give him his due they are a bit unthankful.

Its a moot point. The 2016 hawks are loaded and ready to inflict some casualties on the NFL.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:06 pm

It's not just that he's a leader in the locker room or that he's a difference maker on the field. Although those things are necessary ingredients, you can say that about a lot of players on a lot of different teams. Rather, there's two other very important factors that point to the "Russell's team" characterization of the Hawks:

1. Russell is now a seasoned vet working on his 2nd contract. No matter how good the player is, it really isn't "their" team until they are at least in the middle of their career.

2. The offense has evolved to where Russell is playing, and excelling at, a more important role than he did just one year ago. Beast is gone, and although there's no doubt that we'll still run more than the league average, we're going to be throwing the ball a lot more than we have in years past. You're not going to see Russell's name in the bottom quarter of the starters in the league in terms of passing attempts like we used to.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:40 pm

You know what else I think contributes to his leadership: his unwavering discipline.

There are endless examples, but I think most interestingly even his interview style demonstrates this. He gets a lot of sht for it, but while he *is* a boring interview in most regards, it shows that he never, EVER varies from his style. It's obviously part of a plan that he's cemented in his mind.

I think it's a great indication of the dedication he has to the long-term goals, how nothing distracts him from them (even national TV talking heads blowing sunshine up your @ss), and I don't see how never getting knocked off script, no matter the circumstances, can't contribute to the respect he gets from the other players.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 pm

The Seahawks are Wilson's team now, and I think he's going to have a big year. Something like 4,100-4,500 yds, over 30 TDs. He's developed great chemistry with some of the receivers, to the point where he may be making guys like Baldwin better.

The flip side is, now he experiences how hard it is to win being "the guy". Look how great Rodgers has been, and he's only got 1 ring to show for it. Sports is so competitive now, especially with free agency. There are only a couple of guys (Lebron James, Tom Brady) who seem to bring their team back to the top or close to it yr in and yr out. Russell has now entered the elite top 5 status. let's see how he handles that and if he can now begin building towards a legacy towards that upper 1% Bradyish type stature. A SB victory this yr would put him right on track.
Futureite
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum