1st Draft Pick ..... Is Picking Fights with the Whole Team

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

1st Draft Pick ..... Is Picking Fights with the Whole Team

Postby savvyman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:33 pm

In the Business of football this is good news - Very promising Start for Germain Ifedi:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article93807012.html
savvyman
Legacy

Re: 1st Draft Pick ..... Is Picking Fights with the Whole Te

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Not a bad thing IMHO. Not backing down to established stars usually means it isn't "to much" and that the player believes he belongs. Intimation is always a factor for young players ( OMG that's Micheal Bennett or JJ Watt or Aaron Donald, etc) not being intimidated is an important step for players. See nothing but positives here. Be nasty, tough, disciplined and over powering.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Our FO said they want to get back to dominating the opposition along the line.
We haven't done that for a while and although we made it back to the SB without Giacomini, now that Lynch has retired the OL has to regain that attitude to make up for it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:48 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Not a bad thing IMHO. Not backing down to established stars usually means it isn't "to much" and that the player believes he belongs. Intimation is always a factor for young players ( OMG that's Micheal Bennett or JJ Watt or Aaron Donald, etc) not being intimidated is an important step for players. See nothing but positives here. Be nasty, tough, disciplined and over powering.

Yep - Tom Cable and Bennett would agree.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article94137152.html

>>>>>>

In back-to-back interviews, Tom Cable and Michael Bennett captured the essence of the NFL.

“I don’t think your team’s any good unless you’re good on the line of scrimmage,” said Cable, the offensive line coach. “And there’s a toughness and mentality that comes with that. Was that part of going out and getting this group together? Absolutely.”

Cable continued with his soliloquy on the testosterone-fueled, bare-knuckled line play to the point that it sounded like a pregame pep talk. He had been asked about the scuffles that had taken place involving offensive and defensive linemen all camp.

“I mean, let’s face it, it’s like a bar fight every play in this league, and if they can’t handle that, if they cower to that, if they give in to that, they can’t play on this team and we don’t want them.”

Told of Cable’s theory, Bennett, the occasionally bellicose defensive end, said he’d never been in a bar fight. “I’ve never been in a bar fight, not one that I’d say that I’ve been in,” Bennett said. “It’s just like two trucks running into each other, at the end of the day, who has more horse power? I tend to have more horsepower, and so does Cliff (Avril). It’s all about playing with passion and that’s something we do a great job of.”

Bennett has been involved in several of the skirmishes, most of the time against aggressive rookie guard Germain Ifedi. Bennett said it’s a part of teaching the young guys how the game is played.

“Rookies ... you got to make ‘em grow, you gotta treat them good and let them be rookies and be a good teammate to them,” Bennett said. “I want everybody to be the best they can be. A lot of those guys are going to be great players.”

But it’s a tough love they get from Bennett.

“Really, the game is played up front,” Bennett said. “The thing about corners and safeties and linebackers, you may hit somebody every other play or every five plays. As a defensive lineman, you hit somebody every play. We have the most physical position in the NFL so it’s a physical game, tempers get going, there’s a lot of passion to play up front.”

Bennett was tossed from practice on Wednesday after tangling with Ifedi. Bennett said coach Pete Carroll was just sending a message. “He just wanted to show the team that if he’d kick me out as one of the best players on the team, that he’d do it to anybody,” Bennett said. “That’s cool with me.”

The message for the rookies? “It’s about hunger for them; how much hunger can they get? When you come in the league now, it’s a lot different,” Bennett said. “They’re getting breast fed; when I came into the league, you had to go out and find your food yourself. You have to go out there and hunt every day, every play, every game. I play every game like it’s my last play That’s how I cam into the league, and that’s how I’m going to do until I retire. That’s how I want the rookies to approach the game.”<<<<<<<<<<
savvyman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Absolutely, go hunt big dog. It's how I played, and IMHO one of the reasons for declining play in general amongst offensive lineman in the NFL is the ease in which they make their money.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum