This is Christine Michael's year

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

This is Christine Michael's year

Postby I-5 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:32 am

I've been a fan of CMike since he was drafted, called him a future NFL star, and was disappointed just like everyone with his first few years as a Seahawk. By his third year, I wasn't surprised nor upset when we traded him to Dallas, because if we know anything about Pete and John, it's that they're not afraid to admit when something isn't working and move on (see: Percy Harvin). When he was released by the Redskins, I wondered if that would be the end of CMike's short NFL career. I know there are still many who might think of him as a headcase, and rightly so, but I have seen a different CMike since he came back to Seattle near the end of last season. His language sounded different to begin with, as if he finally understood it was never about him, but about how useful he could be to the team. He told of how his position coach Sherman Smith told him when he came back, 'don't try to prove the Cowboys and Redskins wrong for cutting him, prove the Seahawks right for believing in you in the first place'.

Preseason games don't mean much, but from what I have seen and heard, I think he finally has his head on right, and he looks great out there, full of purpose and energy. No one can replace Lynch and what he means to the Seahawks, but I think running back is going to be a strength this year, even with the lack of experience (of course, this can only happen if the O-line can put it together). CMike is going to be a big part of it - it will be great to have both him and Rawls competing on a daily basis, along with the young guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pete- ... -with-him/
I-5
Legacy

Re: This is Christine Michael's year

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 am

I see he's added Sr to his name.
If he just had a son, it might have set his priorities in order and he might now know that this type of pay is difficult to come by in the real world.
I hope it works out for both him and his family playing in Seattle.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am

Like you say, it *is* just a single preseason game, but it was right in line with how we've been told his entire offseason and camp has gone, too.

Good news for the team if it continues.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 pm

burrrton wrote:Like you say, it *is* just a single preseason game, but it was right in line with how we've been told his entire offseason and camp has gone, too.

Good news for the team if it continues.

This exactly.
I;m still in wait and see mode on him, because we've heard how good he looks every single pre season. Still, the results did in fact match up with the hyped this time, finally.
I'm slowly moving from skeptical to cautiously optimistic on him right now.
I think that my biggest problem with him right now is just that I remember well how Rawls played last year before getting hurt, and he's just flat out better than Michael is. So as a backup, I'm all good with Michael and hope he keeps this newfound hard work up, but if the coaching staff decides to do something dumb like split carries, or whatever (Pete may or may not have hinted at that, with his one two punch comment), then I'll be annoyed.
Rawls is going to be a star in the league, Michael has a long way to go to convince me of that.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Cmike was a beast in 3 of his 4 starts last year including his 3.7 ypc for 77 yards in the arctic zone in Minn. Based on his performance in that game and Marshawns bizarre behavior prior to that game I will always feel he should have been the starter vs Carolina..We will never know but Lynch was a non factor.We know that.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:55 pm

If his head ever catches up with his god given talent then...........
savvyman
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:42 am

I'm with Monk on this one. I was impressed with CM but remember we cut Harry Sidney to the howls of Hawk fans and he did nothing with the 9ers. Some guys do well in Pre-season. its how they do in Regular Season and most of all the playoffs.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Obviously C mike was a head case. But he was a kid fresh out of college and lots of them are like that. He is an unbelievable specimen at 235 pounds and still one of the fastest players on the team. I like the situation with he and Rawls and ? C mike and Rawls could be a problem for a lot of teams.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Obviously C mike was a head case. But he was a kid fresh out of college and lots of them are like that. He is an unbelievable specimen at 235 pounds and still one of the fastest players on the team. I like the situation with he and Rawls and ? C mike and Rawls could be a problem for a lot of teams.

No doubt HT, as Fans we are in a win win with our RB situation, and as CB and River have taught me you cannot have too many LB's and RB's in the NFL!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:36 pm

I was definitely Not a fan of selecting C-Mike in the 2nd rd a couple years ago, and he proved afterwards that he was a major reach that early. After his rookie season - when he barely even got on the field - I had some serious questions about him. He was behind Beast and Turbin, but should have had contributed in some measurable way. Once this same trend spilled over into year 2, you just knew something was definitely wrong.

Now...the guy realizes his NFL days could end well before 30 unless he steps it up. It started last year when he returned after being shuttled around to 2 other teams, and he did a nice job. The fact that he's keeping the momentum going, taking preseason seriously, is a good thing. He has a good role to play here if he keeps it up, and I hope he does.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Guy just needed to grow up. Talent was always obvious, attitude wasn't.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:38 pm

I mentioned to my buddy as we were contemplating the results of the KC game that Rawls might have a difficult time getting his job back. Instead of a quarterback controversy, we might have a running back controversy. It's a good thing to have some competition as it will motivate both of them not only to impress the coaches with their running ability, but should help put some pep into their blocking assignments, too, as that attribute might determine who sees the most playing time.

As others have mentioned, he seems to have lost that entitlement aura about him that hindered his progress during his first stint with us. It's amazing what a little rejection does to the male ego.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Rawls is the undisputed #1 back.
It's just a matter of if he's 100% to start the season and if he can stay healthy.

If CMike turns out to be a solid, dependable #2 guy, that's a Huge bonus for our team. But I doubt very much there's any chance Michael becomes the primary RB, barring injury. CM's upside could possibly limit the pt that our rookie runners get as well.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 pm

RiverDog wrote:I mentioned to my buddy as we were contemplating the results of the KC game that Rawls might have a difficult time getting his job back.

No way.
Rawls is a better running back, it's apparent as the nose on my face watching them.
At his best Michael is a smooth, athletic runner who makes very good cuts, and could be a good starter on another team, or here in case of injury, if he keeps his head on straight.
Rawls is quick through the hole, then look for contact and destroy it, by either running over it, through it or leaving it grasping-at-air-after-a-sweet-spin-move, monster, who has the legitimate ability to be an all star every year from this year onward.
Rawls is just flat out better. Yes Michael is smooth, and has things that he can do better, but overall, it's really not close.
Unless the injury he suffered sets him back (I very much doubt it), Rawls will be the starter this year.
I'm still not quite convinced that Michael's new attitude will stay, we'll see whether or not it does, but if it doesn't, I'm not the least worried about it because even if the Seahawks cut him, with Collins back there, we'll be just fine.
I like what I see from Collins better than what I see from Michael as well to be honest.
monkey
Legacy

Postby vahawker » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:32 pm

CMike looked good, but it was a very vanilla defense with some major players not in the game. He did a good job last year when he came back, but, it seemed (to me) that he was a step down from Rawls. He will pair nicely with Rawls. Rooting for Prosise...after all he's a Va guy from just down the road.
vahawker
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:01 pm

It'll depend upon Rawls ankle and if he fully trusts it. Ankles are difficult to predict.
I think he has the focus and mental discipline to overcome it if there's no pain, but sometimes it takes a while to get back to where they were before the injury.
We'll see how it all unfolds.

I did like how Michael trusted that the hole would be there then hit it hard in the KC game. That's really Petes type of football in its most basic form.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 am

Not that it means too much, but Mike Rob discussed this tonight on NFL Network... according to his sources, T Rawls will be the starter and primary back. That plan has not changed and the team thinks he'll be ready for week #1. If Rawls get 1000 yards, and CMike gets, say 500 - 600, won't we all be happy, considering Russell will add another 500 or so. Add in the usual end-arounds and FB plays and 2200 yards for the team OK?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:05 am

Rawls isn't playing tonight, either. If Michael continues to run hard, holds onto the rock, and can show that he's improved his blocking, then he's going to make it awlfully difficult for them to keep him on the bench. Rawls hasn't played enough to be considered untouchable.

But no matter what, it's a good problem to have.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:45 pm

Rawls or Cmike. LOL we have a controversy.

Seriously though Rawls sets himself apart from most backs with his vision and decisiveness at the line of scrimmage coupled with his burst of football speed and power that cant be measured with a tape or a stopwatch.
If C Mike had those tools with his athleticism and frame he would be unstoppable. He might be real good soon though.

I mean..,.Rawls set a couple of all time rookie RB records last year and there have been some good rookies over the decades .He also had 2 games in 7 starts with more rushing yards than Beast ever had in his career

Its all about the ankle. If it costs him a tenth on the stopwatch its a whole different discussion who starts.If hes completely 100% he will pick up where he left off and be a pro bowl back perennially.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm

CM has come a long way. I was disappointed when so many wrote him off this off season, most everyone said he would be cut. He doesn't look cuttable now, you have to like a guy who competes!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Well I think this ends the Alex Collins experiment...
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:40 pm

Collins is a dancer, 3 cuts, tackled after a yard or two. All that size, and the 5'7" Pope is three times as physical....

Not impressed.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Just an FYI. Rawls warmed up with the first unit tonight, though after warm-ups came out without pads. During warm-up be certainly looked like he was ready for game action. Take that however you all want, precaution, not hindered is what I saw..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:02 am

Based on the responses above, it looks as if the forum is 50/50 sold on CMike. As it should be. But I do notice more cautious optimism for the first time. I know it's only preseason, though. I'm a fan of Rawls, too. They are just very different style runners, so I can't say which is the better back, which I think makes the Hawks harder to defend. I don't think we've seen what CMike is capable of yet. Perhaps he hasn't even seen it yet, either. I do think he has the right attitude and toughness now, and if he can learn how to bounce off the first 1-2 defenders consistently to get to the second level, he can do some serious damage to opposing defenses this year. I also think they're going to go slowly bringing Rawls in, so CMike is going to get plenty of touches early on. It'll be up to him.
I-5
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:42 pm

We just got to get Cmike some touches, just a couple of runs or work some plays (blocking) to give Rawls a breather and better perspective of the game. I heard Pete say he wants to be a 50/50 team in running and passing so we need another RB to take some of the heat off. I am hoping one of the rookies steps up too we will be much healthier for it.

One of the reasons Lynch stopped being effective is he worked too hard and we can do without the major ego problems he had. To be fair he was not as bad as say Richard Sherman. Both of them were/are not as bad as some other NFL players are . Far from it but I think team vs individual play is better.

Good SB teams usually have every free agent and new draft studs filling every position so no weak spots. So if Cmike can fit in as a role player and be ready to take the rains if Rawls goes down he adds depth to a needed area I for one have faith in him.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:25 pm

politicalfootball wrote:We just got to get Cmike some touches, just a couple of runs or work some plays (blocking) to give Rawls a breather and better perspective of the game. I heard Pete say he wants to be a 50/50 team in running and passing so we need another RB to take some of the heat off. I am hoping one of the rookies steps up too we will be much healthier for it.

One of the reasons Lynch stopped being effective is he worked too hard and we can do without the major ego problems he had. To be fair he was not as bad as say Richard Sherman. Both of them were/are not as bad as some other NFL players are . Far from it but I think team vs individual play is better.

Good SB teams usually have every free agent and new draft studs filling every position so no weak spots. So if Cmike can fit in as a role player and be ready to take the rains if Rawls goes down he adds depth to a needed area I for one have faith in him.

Hey, PF! Great to see you again!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Yeah River I'm back for the whole season. Its going to be a great year. I really believe Rawls is going to have a great season and our OL is shaping up; I have high hopes for a real great year.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum