Bridgewater Injury - Looks serious.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Bridgewater Injury - Looks serious.

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:46 pm

What a giant bummer. The Vikes are poised for good things...let's all hope it is not as bad as projected.

http://www.kare11.com/sports/nfl/viking ... /311331588
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: Bridgewater Injury - Looks serious.

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:54 pm

I hate to see that with a young player who is just starting to get it.
It's odd that the injuries when nobody is around are often as bad as full contact injuries.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Yea, non contact injury. They were talking about it on NFL Radio all afternoon. You'd be surprised about the names being mentioned....Like two of Hawktawk's favorites, Tim Tebow and Johnny Football. A lot of discussion revolved around a trade with Tampa Bay for Mike Glennon for a 2nd round draft pick. That would be insane, a 2nd rounder for a rent-a-QB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:35 pm

I actually really like Glennon. It might be worth it. Minni has a great D, a superior running game and need a good QB. Obviously, there are no great ones available. I'd go with Glennon or Sanchez.

He dislocated and tore his ACL in non-contact.... I can relate. Thrice. Basketball (there was contact), racquetball and dancing (no contact). What a drag.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Ugh, sorry, Teddy. Didn't think you were going to be that good, but definitely wanted to show you on the field.

Get well.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:33 am

It sort of reminds me of the real Curt Warner making a cut in the 84 opener vs Cleveland and folding up without contact.......What might have been.

Its sad for Bridgewater. I didn't see a super high ceiling anyway but this is horrible.

Don't count those guys out though. Zimmer is a real NFL HC.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:34 am

I snapped my left Pateller tendon getting in a hot tub sis. top that!!!! :P :P
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:46 am

Don't count those guys out though. Zimmer is a real NFL HC.

Yup- and what are the chances Kaep ends up there and finds a resurgence?

[edit- http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... nee-injury]
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:17 am

TEBOW!!!!!!Throwing motion or not Bridgewater couldn't carry his jock strap. I guess his Major league tryout debut was mixed. He was hitting 220 vs live pitching but showed impressive power hitting what one scout describes as "misses" over the fence.

But as Michael Wilbon said so succinctly a week ago it is a "travesty" that Tim Tebow is not on a roster in the NFL."are there really 64 better QB's on the planet"?

Id roll with Shaun Hill honestly. I always liked the guy and felt like he was a fringe starter that never got the situation he needed but he's started a lot of NFL games .

No way Mr Mike Zimmer brings in the complete douche Ahole Kaepernic. Its about TEAM. He's no leader, except apparently BLM now.

Sanchez? Why? Zimmer doesn't like turnovers.
Maybe see if Hass wants to lace them up one more time. It would be weird looking at him in a Vikes uni on the opposing team in some playoff game but there is a plug and play guy....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:34 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I actually really like Glennon. It might be worth it. Minni has a great D, a superior running game and need a good QB. Obviously, there are no great ones available. I'd go with Glennon or Sanchez.

He dislocated and tore his ACL in non-contact.... I can relate. Thrice. Basketball (there was contact), racquetball and dancing (no contact). What a drag.

The price for Glennon might be too steep. Yesterday on NFL Radio they were talking about a second rounder. The problem is that it's a seller's markets for viable backups or potential starters. Glennon has 25 NFL starts and is still relatively young. A team like Denver would love to get their hands on him.

Sanchez probably wouldn't cost as much.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 am

While I'd hate to part w/ a 2nd.... Think of what it could mean for them. AP isn't getting any younger, and that D Zimmer built is sick. I just might do it.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:29 am

Honest question: is the MIN defense considered soooo good based only on their #5 scoring D rank last year, and if not just that, on what else is it based?

I don't mean this directed at you necessarily, Sis- your assessment seems to be widely accepted as conventional wisdom.

I've thought they were good, not great, for the last couple years, but found their scoring D rank kind of an outlier, but maybe there's something about them I missed.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:39 am

Looks like the injury itself was a tibiofemoral dislocation, which is just as ugly as it sounds:

*a wiki pic of a typical tibiofemoral dislocation, not Teddy's knee

The Vikings immediately cancelled practice and called 911 when it happened and now they are crediting the training staff with saving Teddy's leg ... I just hope he can resume his career when the healing is done.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:51 am

He wasn't much of a runner- he could but it wasn't his game, so if he heals properly it should be OK.
If I were him, when I came back I would use a brace on both knees just for the peace of mind.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:He wasn't much of a runner- he could but it wasn't his game, so if he heals properly it should be OK.
If I were him, when I came back I would use a brace on both knees just for the peace of mind.

Ugh. Another Joe Namath.

I wouldn't be all that sure that there's going to be a "when". I'd have to think real hard as to how badly I want to play. He'll have a long time to think about it, though.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:43 pm

Yes. This is MUCH (I know, duh) worse than a torn ACL. A friend had something similar and she could not put weight on it after surgery for 12 weeks. It's pretty ugly and not out of the question that he misses more than a year.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:38 am

Different Era River. Can you imagine IF we had arthroscopic surgery back then. Bobby Orr is one, his career would have been unreal, was anyway.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:34 am

I wonder if the Vikings liked what they saw from Trevone Boykin?
It would be a real gamble for us to let him go, but he didn't show too badly in his appearances.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:07 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I wonder if the Vikings liked what they saw from Trevone Boykin?
It would be a real gamble for us to let him go, but he didn't show too badly in his appearances.

There's been a bunch of names that have been bandied about: Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Mike Glennon, Josh McCown, Michael Vick, even Colin Krapperdick (boy, that would go over well in their new, taxpayer funded stadium, wouldn't it?). Right now, it's Shawn Hill's job.

The thing about the Vikings is that they don't need a QB that's going to throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TD's. They have a solid defense with one of the best running backs in the league, so what they need is a good game manager that's not going to turn the ball over or put the defense in bad positions, which leads me to believe that they might make a move for Sanchez. Even without Bridgewater, this is still a solid, SB contending team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:37 pm

"what they need is a good game manager that's not going to turn the ball over or put the defense in bad positions, which leads me to believe that they might make a move for Sanchez. Even without Bridgewater, this is still a solid, SB contending team."

I'd rather have Hill as a game manager than Sanchez.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Hill is a decent game manager, and I doubt the Vikes would hesitate to start him week one. But at 36, I hardly think they could count on him for the entire year - maybe I'm wrong. Bridgewater is good. His #s are less than stellar, but his teammates love and trust him. We shall see. Were it me, I would start out the season with Hill and get Glennon or Sanchez as a backup fast. They need a back-up to their back up.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Super Bowl contending team?? If they're that after losing their starter for the year, they would have to have an other-worldly defense and running game.

I don't see it, but maybe I'm wrong.
Last edited by burrrton on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Too bad Hasselback retired, he may have been a decent option for that team.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:32 pm

I'm sure TJack still has his purple shirts. I hear he's available, too. And he's numero uno on OT coin flips.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:06 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Hill is a decent game manager, and I doubt the Vikes would hesitate to start him week one. But at 36, I hardly think they could count on him for the entire year - maybe I'm wrong. Bridgewater is good. His #s are less than stellar, but his teammates love and trust him. We shall see. Were it me, I would start out the season with Hill and get Glennon or Sanchez as a backup fast. They need a back-up to their back up.

The Vikings are between a rock and a hard spot. Yes, Bridgewater has shown some promise and he's everything you've said he is, but he hasn't done well enough to lock down the position for good. If they bring in Glennon, he's going to cost them dearly, like a 2nd rounder. He's a free agent next season, so are you going to surrender a 2nd rounder for a rent-a-player or do you sign him up to a multi year contract? It's not at all clear as to when or even if Bridgewater will return, so you could see some logic in signing him to a multi year contract, especially if you have to give up a high draft choice. But what does that do to the team's morale? From all reports, Bridgewater is a great guy and well liked by his teammates, so a move that seemingly pushes Bridgewater to the curb could backfire.

The Vikings won 11 games last year, and as we all know, came within a chip shot FG of winning their playoff game with us. They are a solid SB contender, so there's a win now feeling around the franchise. It may not do to let Hill run the show or to bring in Sanchez, both journeymen that are a short term fix at best, as Bridgewater might not be ready to go next season and could decide to retire. Zimmer and Co. are in a really tough spot.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:05 am

Tebow
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:22 pm

There was some talk the injury was possibly career threatening.
I hope not for a young guy and such a freak injury.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:21 am

Vikings traded for Bradford.
They gave up a 1st in 2017 and a 4th in 2018.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:29 am

I think this was a great move for the vikes and the eagles. I'm actually a little surprised I didn't see this coming sooner.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:42 am

I can't believe another team has wasted a 1st round pick on Bradford, lol!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:33 pm

mykc14 wrote:I can't believe another team has wasted a 1st round pick on Bradford, lol!

That's what holding all the cards can do for a team. Good luck, Vikes.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez is apparently going to the Cowboys, but Dak Prescott will still be the starter.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rep ... spartanntp

This one makes sense for the 'Pukes. They not only needed a backup QB, but someone on the depth start that's experienced enough to help Prescott develop. Sanchez has started a lot of football games, and the beauty of it is that they didn't have to fork over any draft capital or players.

It's hard to believe that Sam Bradford is still drawing that kind of draft capital (a 1st and a 4th). Most were thinking Mike Glennon, but we should have checked the Vik's coaching staff for previous ties that could have indicated whom they might be interested in. Pat Schumer, currently the tight ends coach with the Vikings, was the OC with the Rams when they drafted Bradford.

It highlights just how desperate the Vikings are to get a quarterback that they think can take them to a SB. There's never been a time when quarterbacks have held the type of value that they hold today.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Bradford can be OK if he doesn't have to do it all himself. He played pretty well before his string of injuries and if he plays as well as Bridgewater did last year, it would be a wash.
AP should be able to take a big load off of Bradford so he might have a good year.
In all, it looks to me like a good move for 2016. Not sure how good it will look in 3 years though.

Regarding the trade, if Bradford plays 80% of the snaps and they win the Super Bowl, the 4th round pick becomes a 2nd.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:54 am

Bradford has more lives than a cat.... Or Rick Mirer...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:55 am

The Vikings think they are a Super Bowl contender and willingly overpaid to try to capitalize. I went to college in Minnesota and have lots of friends who are Vikes fans, and this is a pretty typical reaction (from one of those friends):

"Bradford, while well traveled considering his age (28) and certainly not the most adept at maximising his tools, has the arm to make throws all over the field. He's moderately accurate and has a quick release. He threw for 3700 yards in 14 games last year, for a pretty mediocre Eagles team.

I applaud a team that is willing to roll the dice like this when they feel like they're one good quarterback away from a legitimate Super Bowl run. My Twins, for years, were either unable, unwilling, or unsuccessful in putting their chips on the table when the opportunity was right in front of them. It's also not inconsequential that Bradford is under contract through 2017, since Teddy's return timeline is unknown.

Maybe Bradford's performance won't be the equal of his cost. But he has the tools. And if he has a good season, the the Vikings will be one of the best teams in the NFC. All for a $7 MM cap hit."
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:04 am

Oly wrote:The Vikings think they are a Super Bowl contender and willingly overpaid to try to capitalize. I went to college in Minnesota and have lots of friends who are Vikes fans, and this is a pretty typical reaction (from one of those friends):

"Bradford, while well traveled considering his age (28) and certainly not the most adept at maximising his tools, has the arm to make throws all over the field. He's moderately accurate and has a quick release. He threw for 3700 yards in 14 games last year, for a pretty mediocre Eagles team.

I applaud a team that is willing to roll the dice like this when they feel like they're one good quarterback away from a legitimate Super Bowl run. My Twins, for years, were either unable, unwilling, or unsuccessful in putting their chips on the table when the opportunity was right in front of them. It's also not inconsequential that Bradford is under contract through 2017, since Teddy's return timeline is unknown.

Maybe Bradford's performance won't be the equal of his cost. But he has the tools. And if he has a good season, the the Vikings will be one of the best teams in the NFC. All for a $7 MM cap hit."

That's exactly what I was going to say. The Vikings have good reason to believe that they're SB contenders as they went 11-5 last season and got knocked out of the playoffs by missing a chip shot FG. They are really pushing all their chips to the center of the table with this trade. They'd love nothing better than to open their new stadium with a SB run and make their fans forget about how much tax money they're spending on their new digs.

Bradford is the type of quarterback they need, ie a guy that can be a good game manager and not turn the ball over. But the big concern is his health.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:13 am

The Vikes upgraded the position honestly. This is brilliant. I crossed the Vikes off the top tier list after Bridgewater went down but the last decent start Bradford had to a season was like 17 TDs and 3 picks or something with the Rams before mid season ending injury. If he stays right side up on a loaded team like this it could be a perfect fit. Its a win now move for the Vikes. I hate it.....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:08 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Yes. This is MUCH (I know, duh) worse than a torn ACL. A friend had something similar and she could not put weight on it after surgery for 12 weeks. It's pretty ugly and not out of the question that he misses more than a year.
I have a funny feeling we may have seen the last of Teddy as a legitimate NFL QB. No doubt he'll TRY to make it back, do what he can, but I could make a pretty good argument that Bradford is better than Bridgewater anyway.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:33 am

monkey wrote:I have a funny feeling we may have seen the last of Teddy as a legitimate NFL QB. No doubt he'll TRY to make it back, do what he can, but I could make a pretty good argument that Bradford is better than Bridgewater anyway.

That's probably one of the reasons why the Vikings went after the best QB that they could get their hands on and spent a lot of draft capital to get him. But the Vikings were pretty high on Bridgewater, so it will be interesting to see what happens if he makes it back.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkandBalls » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:07 am

Hawktawk wrote:TEBOW!!!!!!Throwing motion or not Bridgewater couldn't carry his jock strap. I guess his Major league tryout debut was mixed. He was hitting 220 vs live pitching but showed impressive power hitting what one scout describes as "misses" over the fence.

But as Michael Wilbon said so succinctly a week ago it is a "travesty" that Tim Tebow is not on a roster in the NFL."are there really 64 better QB's on the planet"?

Id roll with Shaun Hill honestly. I always liked the guy and felt like he was a fringe starter that never got the situation he needed but he's started a lot of NFL games .

No way Mr Mike Zimmer brings in the complete douche Ahole Kaepernic. Its about TEAM. He's no leader, except apparently BLM now.

Sanchez? Why? Zimmer doesn't like turnovers.
Maybe see if Hass wants to lace them up one more time. It would be weird looking at him in a Vikes uni on the opposing team in some playoff game but there is a plug and play guy....

Not to start the Tebow argument again, but I agree with you. But, with Bradford now, it's a moot point.
HawkandBalls
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum