The 53 - my 53

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The 53 - my 53

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:49 pm

My 53

QB -2
RW, Boykin

RB/FB - 6
Rawls, Michael, Prosise, Collins, Tukuafu
Pope (surprise keep)

WR - 5
ADB, Lock, Kearse, P-Rich, McEvoy, Lawler (if my weird Pope thing doesn't work)

TEs - 3
Jimmy, Luke, Nick

OL - 9
Britt, Ifedi, Glowinski, Gilliam, Sowel, Hunt, Webb, Fant, Odiambo

DL - 9
Bennett, Avril, Clark, Jefferson, Reed, McDaniel, Hill, Rubin, Cassius

LBs - 6
Wagner, KJ, Morgan, Brock, Pink, Palacio

DBs - 10
Sherm, Shead, Lane, Earl, Kam, Simon, McCray, Ty Smith, Powell, Lambert

STs - 3
Hauschka, Ryan, Nolan goes; Clint or someone else comes in
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: The 53 - my 53

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:35 pm

C'mon you chickens.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:C'mon you chickens.

Efedi is gone.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:28 pm

I usually do one of these every year right around our 4th preseason game, but it's been a sauna from hell around here and they've been running my plant more in the last two months than in the last two years combined ... I haven't had time for more than hit and run posting.

I'll try to get one together in the morning hopefully befor more cuts come (Jahri Evans is the first, evidently to make room for a better LS).
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:35 am

Hawk Sista wrote:C'mon you chickens.

Well, I have to quibble a bit.
There's just no way that we'd keep that may RB's. If you think the Seahawks keep Pope, (they very well might) then you have to cut someone else.
Christine Michael, to my surprise, has virtually clinched a spot, and Pope has outplayed Collins. That makes your surprise possible, but only at the cost of cutting Collins.

With all the injuries at TE, I see almost no way they don't start the season with four. Right now Vannett will be likely out game one, and we have no idea if Graham will really be ready, so going into the season with just one healthy TE, not going to happen. We'll keep Brandon Williams at least until we know for certain that Graham is healthy and until Vannett is back, and actually outplays Williams, (which to this point he has not). Williams right now is pretty much a lock.

Lawler is very, very gone. He's way too slight of frame, has no speed, has unreliable hands, despite all the glowing reports about his hands, he's had several drops, which is NOT what you want to see from someone whose trying to make the team as a hands guy, he cannot get off jams, has been outplayed by several undrafted players and frankly, has almost no chance at all of making the 53.

Lambert has zero chance of making the team. He's really only useful on special teams and is a liability in coverage, and tries too hard to make big hits (like Kam), and ends up missing tackles, when he ought to wrap up.

And since I'm no chicken :D (I'm a monkey...big difference!) I'll give you a big surprise cut I think is coming.
#27 Tharold Simon. He's looked bad this preseason, and truth be told, he's ALWAYS looked bad. I mean, he looks the part physically, he has the tools etc... but his actual play on the field, stinks, and always has. He holds constantly, he hasn't figured out how to play aggressively, without committing boneheaded penalties, and frankly, he cannot bloody cover any receiver who is quick.
IMO he sucks, and always has. I know that Sherman knows more about it than I do, and I ma disagreeing with a real expert, but, let's face it, Sherm is biased, big time.
Last edited by monkey on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:40 am

obiken wrote:
Efedi is gone.

It's Ifedi, and no way is he getting cut! He's far too versatile, with the ability to play both guard and tackle spots, and as a rookie, he'll be given latitude, room to grow.
Fant is gone LOOOOONG before Ifedi, because Fant is a basketball player who can easily be stashed on the practice squad.
monkey
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:48 am

My bad monk I mean Evans.

12h - Sheil Kapadia

Source: Seahawks to release veteran G Evans

The Seattle Seahawks have told veteran guard Jahri Evans that they are going to release him, a source confirmed.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:59 am

And since I'm no chicken :D (I'm a monkey...big difference!) I'll give you a big surprise cut I think is coming.
#27 Tharold Simon. He's looked bad this preseason, and truth be told, he's ALWAYS looked bad. I mean, he looks the part physically, he has the tools etc... but his actual play on the field, stinks, and always has. He holds constantly, he hasn't figured out how to play aggressively, without committing boneheaded penalties, and frankly, he cannot bloody cover any receiver who is quick.
IMO he sucks, and always has. I know that Sherman knows more about it than I do, and I ma disagreeing with a real expert, but, let's face it, Sherm is biased, big time.

Hey Monk, I have been (silently) beating the drum about how bad Tharold Simon is for a while now. He is the only Hawks during this entire run that I cannot stand to watch play. And his play in SB 49 sealed the deal for me. I really would not call it a big surprise if he was cut, at least from my point of view. But I get it would be from a team perspective. He seems to be well liked and they are giving him chances. But you are right. He holds, gets beat constantly, takes too many penalties, and the thing that drives me crazy, he looks to refs about 90% of the time for OPI whenever a guy makes a catch on him. He is just not a very good CB.

I for one would be glad to see him gone.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:04 am

I agree w/ most of your quibbles, Monkey, but wanted to add some intrigue & start the annual "who will make the 53" thread. As I recall in the past, people posted their predictions (& hopes) & the chatter began. At least that's how it's been in the past rather than a critique of the 1st poster's attempt.

I know pope is likely gone (will probably be on the PS if he clears, which he may likely do). In another thread, for the record, I predicted 5....the same 5 minus pope.

I chose McEvoy as the 5th receiver for his versatility, including some reps at TE. My thinking is that they may go w/ 3 TEs, use Tanner as the 4th TE to squeak Lawler (who is only a WR who can't play ST) on the initial roster.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:54 am

KPL is unimpressive to me. His speed and special teams play are of little consequence if he can't tackle.

Also, I wouldn't be too surprised if if We get another backup QB. Boykin wasn't that great and Pete didn't mince words... Like at all.

I heard Pete's press conference after my list... Definitely sounds like he was speaking of Pope in the past tense.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:03 am

not gonna make it Sis, had Grampa duty all morning giving my daughter a break from her 2 week old munchkin ... (i'm burping him now writing one handed with my mouse and on screen keyboard )
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:22 am

Evans still the only cut to 53 so far officially from this update on NFL.com as of 11:20 PST.

Seattle Seahawks

Cuts to 75: DB Brandon Browner, FB Kyle Coleman, WR Montario Hunter, DE DeAngelo Tyson, WR Deshon Foxx, RB George Farmer, CB Trovon Reed, DE Josh Shirley, WR Kevin Smith, RB Zac Brooks, LB Quayshawn Nealy, LB Pete Robertson, G Kristjan Sokoli, C Patrick Lewis

Cuts to 53: G Jahri Evans
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:23 am

Congrats, Bob. That's awesome!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:38 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:not gonna make it Sis, had Grampa duty all morning giving my daughter a break from her 2 week old munchkin ... (i'm burping him now writing one handed with my mouse and on screen keyboard )

I don't know CB, I think Chuck Powell at KJR has the right idea, have an extended rookie camp where you can get a better look at these kids. Your cutting Zac Brooks on just 6 carries. Moreover, end the final Exhibition game and start the season early, that last was totally meaningless.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:14 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Congrats, Bob. That's awesome!

Thanks Sis! His name is Ethan Brent (Brent's my middle name too):

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:53 pm

Congrats bob!!! The only thing that could make him cutier would be if he were wearing a Seahawks onesie!!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:48 pm

My nephew is an Ethan. Not born when I met all y'all. He's a senior now.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:22 pm

Ohh how cute!! Congrats CB!!!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:45 am

Agent 86 wrote:
Hey Monk, I have been (silently) beating the drum about how bad Tharold Simon is for a while now. He is the only Hawks during this entire run that I cannot stand to watch play. And his play in SB 49 sealed the deal for me. I really would not call it a big surprise if he was cut, at least from my point of view. But I get it would be from a team perspective. He seems to be well liked and they are giving him chances. But you are right. He holds, gets beat constantly, takes too many penalties, and the thing that drives me crazy, he looks to refs about 90% of the time for OPI whenever a guy makes a catch on him. He is just not a very good CB.

I for one would be glad to see him gone.

Well, looks like we won't be getting our wish, he's still here.
It's not that I don't see what the coaches (and Sherman) are seeing in him, I see it, he just never seems to make good on all that athletic promise. All the potential in the world is just that....potential, until it's actualized.
Whatever, I'll trust the coaching staff knows what they're about but personally, I'm not expecting Simon to ever amount to much.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:57 am

Hawk Sista wrote:KPL is unimpressive to me. His speed and special teams play are of little consequence if he can't tackle.

Also, I wouldn't be too surprised if if We get another backup QB. Boykin wasn't that great and Pete didn't mince words... Like at all.

I heard Pete's press conference after my list... Definitely sounds like he was speaking of Pope in the past tense.
Well...looks like the coaches see those three things differently.

KPL looks unimpressive to me as well, his speed is nice, but he just doesn't seem to play instinctively. Yet the coaches see something they like...as for Boykin, he plays similar enough to Wilson's style that he really is an ideal backup, he just needs more seasoning. Bringing in a veteran doesn't do anything to help him grow, or help the team win games if Wilson gets hurt, because what is out there for veteran backups? Look at the list of absolute garbage available, and you will come away thinking that we're lucky to have Boykin!

The problem for Pope was that, he didn't really carve out a niche for himself the way that the other backups have. Procise obviously will be the third down back, and Collins runs hard, and his short, quick steps presumably make him an ideal short yardage back.
Pope brought nothing to the game that we didn't already have somewhere else, and he wasn't going to beat out Rawls! So that left him out in the cold.
Pope will likely catch on with another team, he showed he can play at this level. If not, he'll be an awesome addition to our practice squad (one can hope), and most likely will get called up at some point.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:10 am

An interesting note is 14 rookies made the team with 6 being Undrafted Free Agents.
About 26% turnover for a team that has as good as any chance to go to the Super Bowl.
Is that a normal rate for top tier teams? It just seems like a lot.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:50 am

Old but Slow wrote:Big hands, Bob, get him a ball.

For such a little munchkin he's got huge hands and feet! like Russ or John Stockton.

We'll a ball in 'em for sure, let him choose round or pointed.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:05 am

He's adorable, Bob! Congrats again. :)
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:12 am

If you re-read my post, it says that PC was speaking of Pope in the past tense... Meaning he was getting cut. I didn't really think he'd maker the team other than the PS, I just hoped he would.

We feel VERY thin at LB and carrying 12 DBs feels odd.... Two things I know though.... 1. PC & John aren't done, & 2. I trust them.

#GoHawks
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:37 am

Pope picked up by Jets

Burley picked up by Browns

We picked up a 49er DT - Garrison Smith
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 pm

And Justin Hamilton was dropped. What a business. Hamilton was probably thrilled to make the roster, now's on the street looking for a job, all in 24 hours.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:32 pm

My thoughts exactly. Having been the relative of one of them..... It's a tough deal.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:04 pm

LOL a couple weeks till Seahawks get flattened in the heat of the LA Collesium!....If u make it by the Dolphins.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:LOL a couple weeks till Seahawks get flattened in the heat of the LA Collesium!....If u make it by the Dolphins.

Looking forward to it - This game should have been on Sunday Night - NFL schedule makers were asleep for this week.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:24 pm

Count me in as a non-fan of Simon. I wish we had kept Burley instead.

I'm surprised Lawler made the practice squad, but I think they would have kept Pope instead if he hadn't been claimed. Best of luck to him with the Jets! He deserves a chance to shine.
I-5
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:24 pm

I-5 wrote:Count me in as a non-fan of Simon. I wish we had kept Burley instead.

I'm surprised Lawler made the practice squad, but I think they would have kept Pope instead if he hadn't been claimed. Best of luck to him with the Jets! He deserves a chance to shine.

They didn't keep Burley or Simon...

I liked Burley as well, that said, in Seattle's defense he was limited to the slot position ( wasn't the size they feel they need on the outside) and Lane is simply better at the spot with Shead as the outside corner..

I'm cool with Lawler right where he is ( PS) he didn't put up those numbers in college by accident, a year or two to develop is a good thing ( honestly I viewed it as an either/ or proposition between him and Richardson that Richardson clearly won)...

IMHO Pope should be wearing Seahawks blue right now while Collins is looking for work. He clearly outplayed Collins from the first practice, sometimes however it isn't necessarily about production, but how a player "fits". Pope is more of a third down back ( size restrictions I suppose) and so I guess Seattle felt Procise was that guy ( Collins kind of becomes irrelevant to the discussion)...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:27 pm

They didn't keep Burley or Simon...

'Roach, I am seeing Simon on the 53 man roster over at Seahawks.com...and I didn't see his name in any of the cuts from Saturday.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:41 pm

My mistake, Simon was on the original cut list I saw... Must not have gotten tired of potential versus production yet..

The explanation about Burley remains... Stuck in slot position, with no escape in Seattle. Simon fits the mold on the outside, Burley simply didn't. ( though Burley would have been my preference).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum