This Seattle Times article MUST be shared here!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

This Seattle Times article MUST be shared here!

Postby monkey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:41 am

Go incognito to avoid the pay wall if you must, but read this thing. It's one of the best articles I've read in a very long time.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/team-of-rivals-how-doug-baldwin-and-earl-thomas-embody-the-seahawks/
monkey
Legacy

Re: This Seattle Times article MUST be shared here!

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:39 am

Good stuff. Thanks, monkey.

Good tip on incognito mode, too. :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Good read..... Thanks
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Nice read, monkey, and it's no surprise that those types of intangibles mentioned in the article are key in how this team functions as a whole.

I would Love to see more of this for both OL and DL. The former are a new bunch, so growing pains are to be expected. The DL, though, I feel gets pushed around more than they should, particularly on running plays. I know our D is ranked highly, and they are solid, but they got manhandled more than expected last season. I'm not asking for TFL every other play, just to do better job at plugging the lanes this year.

Regardless, this is going to be a Very good year for us. I think we are poised to make another SB run. We are as good as Any team in the NFL, if not better. 1-0 each week, with a goal of getting HFA for the playoffs. It can be done.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Huh? That DL has been top 5 in run defense 4 years running..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:43 pm

Yeah, not sure your critique of the D against the run is valid, brother.

They were best rushing D in the league last year, and have been getting *better* every year for the last 4-5 IIRC.

Yeah, there are plays they get gashed, but that's just the NFL, not a weakness of ours.

[edit]

A similar critique of the *passing* defense might be more reasonable (again, IIRC). We end up with good numbers, but occasionally let QBs that shouldn't go off on us... go off on us.

But the rushing D? I don't remember the last time a RB ran all over us...
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:02 am

Again...we were a solid D last year, and I'm perfectly aware of the rankings.

But...our D was not nearly as *clutch* as they had been the previous two seasons ('13 & '14).

Timing is everything, including when the big (defensive) play or 3 and out occurs.

Lots of blame to go around on both sides of the ball for 2015. It was just surprising to see us get out physicaled as much as we did on key downs/moments in tight games. I dunno. I remember there being plenty of discussion about this last year.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:16 am

Zorn76 wrote:Again...we were a solid D last year, and I'm perfectly aware of the rankings.

But...our D was not nearly as *clutch* as they had been the previous two seasons ('13 & '14).

Timing is everything, including when the big (defensive) play or 3 and out occurs.

Lots of blame to go around on both sides of the ball for 2015. It was just surprising to see us get out physicaled as much as we did on key downs/moments in tight games. I dunno. I remember there being plenty of discussion about this last year.

Sherm said last year was an off year by the lOB standards. And no it wasn't too clutch, especially in the first half of the season. Rams #1,Packers,Bengals,Panthers all were 4th quarter blown leads including substantial leads over the Panthers and Bengals. Too be fair the offense was as inconsistent, unable to secure a first down that would have clinched either of those two games. The offense blew a pretty good defensive effort in AZ#1. Clete Blakemans crew called 14 penalties on seattle in their own house leading to a 19-0 deficit but still the defense turned Palmer over and literally willed Seattle back in the game only to see the offense unable to close the deal. But the final blow was the running back busting a 60 yarder on a critical 3rd down for the clincher. I watched that stinker from the stands and left certain the season was over. But that was the turning point, particularly the offense.

I think the question is which Hawks team takes the field Sunday. The first half season team or the second. If Seattle plays their C game to start out the season they are going 0-2 for sure.

If they have that A+ game they could go 19-0
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum