Dirty hits on Newton?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Dirty hits on Newton?

Postby burrrton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:15 am

Seeing there's a lot of hullabaloo about possible "targeting" etc of Newton with helmet-to-helmet shots last night, and the Panthers complaining that refs aren't calling it.

I saw the one late that was an obvious foul, but it *was* called (and I bet a big fine will be coming for that defender, rightfully), and I remember a questionable hit earlier, but it looked more incidental (it was as he was being sacked).

Were there more that I just don't remember?
burrrton
Legacy

Re: Dirty hits on Newton?

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 am

I think there were 4 or 5 questionable hits, but when a defender is trying to hit a guy between the knees and shoulders and the offensive player crouches or ducks, it becomes almost impossible for the defender to change his target point after he has committed himself. It's tough for the Refs to call as well as for the players to play cleanly.
There is no question in my mind that they wanted to hit him hard and often, but I don't think they wanted to be dirty about it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:59 am

There were some strange calls, I thought. The call on Harris that gave the Panthers a 1st down was so awful. The excessive celebration for jumping up and down was lame too, for example. I did see a defense that was trying to get to Newton... he got hit in the noggin a few times but I didn't see any that were absolute penalties save the one that was called. Perhaps that was me pulling for the AFC and not being a fan of Newton?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:29 am

The Marshell hit under the chin of Cam was late, and looked dirty. I didnt think the others were - some were high, but in flow of the game.

My question is why Cam was allowed to remain in the game after taking a shot to the head (it was flagged...) and it kept him on the ground for over a minute. Seems to be counter to the player safety mantra the NFL is touting. Clearly it was a critical time in the game, but if Player Safety is paramount, there is no way Cam should have stayed in the game.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:38 am

burrrton wrote:Seeing there's a lot of hullabaloo about possible "targeting" etc of Newton with helmet-to-helmet shots last night, and the Panthers complaining that refs aren't calling it.

I saw the one late that was an obvious foul, but it *was* called (and I bet a big fine will be coming for that defender, rightfully), and I remember a questionable hit earlier, but it looked more incidental (it was as he was being sacked).

Were there more that I just don't remember?

That one hit A) should have been called a targeted helmet to helmet hit, and B) Cam should have absolutely been immediately subject to concussion protocol. I think A didn't happen because it would have necessitated B. I also think the Players Union is going to demand better explanations at least, or an investigation, of why those things didn't happen.

Other than that it was just football.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 am

If it was dirty it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
As a Russell Wilson fan I don't have a lot of sympathy. I cant count how many times he has been drilled sliding, rag dolled on sacks, piled on and pummelled. I remember vs Tampa in the historic comeback in 13 Wilson got cheap shotted probably 5 or 6 times with maybe? 2 flags. No sympathy. I think the refs just view running QBs differently.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:22 am

It looks to me like the Marshall hit should have been called, and that last hit that *was* called was legitimate.

The rest I can't see where the outrage is. Just looked like football to me, too.

Hopefully this will make a flag more likely if RW takes shots this Sunday, though.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:41 am

Ol' Cam did get the snot beat out of him on a few hits, didn't he?:) I missed most of the game, but networks have been pouring over this thing all morning.

I'm just surprised they didn't win - practically a rookie QB for Denver and your D doesn't shut him down better? I dunno, I thought Carolina would pull this one off, but I'm glad they didn't (despite the big hit I took in the pick 'em:).
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:55 am

I actually picked the Broncos. It is hard to breathe there and I figured the Panthers would run out of gas in the 2nd half. It was closer than I thought though....like only 10 feet away from being wrong.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Once Cam is running with the ball he is fair game. Maybe the NFL does need to put QB's in skirts LOL
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Ol' Cam did get the snot beat out of him on a few hits, didn't he?:)

Yes, and what was most surprising (to me) was that a lot of the punishment he took was by design more or less. I remember a lot of designed runs for him in traffic, keepers and/or read-options where he ran like a halfback into the teeth of the defense and battled linebackers for an extra yard, etc.

Stupid sht like that is what makes me less sympathetic to whining about the contact he took from rushers.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Wahhhhhh....

Dudes an entitled, selfish player. Always has been, always will be...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:02 pm

I don't understand the one play that was called. It wasn't called targeting, or a helmet to helmet hit or whatever, it was called roughing the passer. Of coarse, it would've been a sack, and not roughing, had Newton not intentionally grounded. How do you punish the defender for a late hit when the qb cheated to get the ball out at the last minute? Not saying it shouldn't have been a defensive penalty, just not the one that they called imo. Also, how did they not even check on Cam? He was so concussed at the time.

On a side note, I firmly believe that Cam suffered 2 concussions that game. After the first one he was pulled aside, asked a few questions, and then returned to the game. Cam has no recollection of who asked the questions or what was asked. He should have never even returned to the game. Worse, after the second concussion they didn't even check up on him. Just ridiculous. I understand it's a contact sport and they get paid well, but the NFL shouldn't try to pretend it's protecting it's players with it's "concussion protocol" when in reality they are protecting the entertainment value of the sport at the players' expense. Of course since they failed to diagnose him during the game, he doesn't have to go through any "additional protocol."
Last edited by EmeraldBullet on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Hawktawk wrote:If it was dirty it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
As a Russell Wilson fan I don't have a lot of sympathy. I cant count how many times he has been drilled sliding, rag dolled on sacks, piled on and pummelled. I remember vs Tampa in the historic comeback in 13 Wilson got cheap shotted probably 5 or 6 times with maybe? 2 flags. No sympathy. I think the refs just view running QBs differently.

Yeah that! Wilson is the king of getting hit late and not getting a call.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:25 pm

Actually, NFL network just had that exact stat on the screen. Over the past 4 years, Cam leads in total QB hits about 425 - 350 over Russell, who's #2. Of course, they didn't break down 'dirty' 'scumbag' and 'legit' as sub categories...

We all know that Russell slides a whole lot more than Cam does, but at 6' 5" and 245 lbs, he's bigger then a lot of the players trying to tackle him. To me, when he's a 'runner' he should be open season, but that would apply to those that want to attack Russell, too.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm guessing about 250 of those "hits" came via designed runs... Sorry, Cam isn't getting hit "more" than Wilson, certainly not late, and definitely not during slides or in the helmet more.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:58 am

I'm guessing about 250 of those "hits" came via designed runs...

This. As I said earlier, there are plays they call that virtually ensure he's going to take the shots a running back takes .

Negates a lot of the indignation IMO.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:40 am

When a guy is 6-5 250, it's going to take a harder hit to take him down.
When there is incidental contact to the head, it will naturally be more impactful because of the extra effort by the defender.
Add in his running ability, and it's a recipe for him getting hit harder by defenders because of the above.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:35 pm

A much higher percentage of people bet on Carolina in this game. Whenever the betting favorite gets beat the butt hurts come out.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:29 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:That one hit A) should have been called a targeted helmet to helmet hit, and B) Cam should have absolutely been immediately subject to concussion protocol. I think A didn't happen because it would have necessitated B. I also think the Players Union is going to demand better explanations at least, or an investigation, of why those things didn't happen.

Other than that it was just football.

I thought the same thing, why they didn't place Cam under the concussion protocol. It seems to me that they are selective about the protocol regarding concussions. If it was the opponent's fault, they are a lot more reluctant to subject the 'victim' to the protocol.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 am

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum