Russell Wilson Injury Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Russell Wilson Injury Thread

Postby savvyman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Looks like Russell says he will be ready for week 2 - however an initial X-ray is still to be performed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17525953/seattle-seahawks-quarterback-russell-wilson-suffered-right-ankle-injury

No matter what his ankle is still injured so even if there is nothing broken, torn, separated or sprained it will still be a day by day situation.

>>>>>>A little ice, a little prayer and a lot of treatment" kept Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson going, despite his ankle injury. At least that's what he said, following the team's 12-10 come-from-behind win over the Miami Dolphins.

(The Seattle Seahawks have begun their march to Super Bowl 51. Make sure you're in the loop -- take five seconds to Sign up for our Free Seahawks newsletter now!)

Wilson limped off the field in the third quarter after being sacked by Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, but he never missed a snap. But, he didn't just play occupational therapist; he did a little doctoring to with an update.

"It feels a little sore but I'll be alright," he said in his post-game press conference.

That update was more than head coach Pete Carroll was willing to give. He confirmed the team would evaluate the ankle throughout the week but gave little else. Still the injury was an odd one. Suh seemed to unintentionally catch Wilson's right ankle in the wrong way as the sack occurred. No foul play is suspected.

"I was actually trying to go down -- cut inside and go down -- and just a freak accident," the fifth-year quarterback said.

But, even with a little prayer and ice, he'll still be evaluated. According to ESPN's Bob Holtzman, Wilson is in the process of getting a precautionary X-ray.

Time to get a jump on "a lot of treatment" for next week's game against the Los Angeles Rams.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Russell Wilson Injury Thread

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Russell will soak it in some of his magic water and it will be all healed by next Sunday in LA.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:35 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Russell will soak it in some of his magic water and it will be all healed by next Sunday in LA.

LOL - Lets hope so.

If he does then I have to get some of that.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:08 am

Russell's already said that he's playing next week vs. the Rams, but he hasn't even experienced the worst yet. It's really going to be stiff when he climbs out of bed in the morning.

That sprain looked pretty nasty, and I suspect it will limit him next week. Hopefully our running game improves. Things aren't going to get any easier facing the Ram's front 7.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:22 am

I walked off a sprain at work in April, finished the day's work and was getting around acceptably (if not normally). Filled out a "green sheet" (accident report) just for good measure and went home, iced it for a while and went to bed.

In the morning I fell on my face getting out of bed, foot like a basketball. Turned out to have a partial tear of my Achilles tendon, limited duty for 8 weeks, still bothers me occasionally ... but if you'd asked me the day it happened I'd have told you I'd be fine.

I know I'm no world class athlete but the point is; I'll trust what I hear early this week a lot more than what he had to say yesterday.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:18 am

I agree with everyone that his ankle probably feels 10x worse this morning. I wonder what 'significant' really means, though. Unless there's a broken bone or torn ligament, I wouldn't be surprised if he suits up and plays. The guy is a gamer.
I-5
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:42 am

Word now is that it's not that serious (from John Clayton show producer Liz Mathews), and Pete says there's a little swelling but that he'll be able to go.

Good news (but could change as always).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:59 am

Conflicting reports this am about the severity of RW's ankle. Ian Rappaport (sp) is saying the ankle is severe and RW is likely to miss a game or two. PC is saying he's fine, just a little swollen.

One thing for certain - he's probably sore as hell today!
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:52 am

Pete doesn't really have to give an honest answer until Wednesday, but typically when he comes out on Monday and says something like tat about an injury I think he believes it. When he has doubts he always says "we'll just have to wait and see." So I would tend to think at this point Pete believes Russell will be fine.

To me it looked like he was hobbled, but not a serious injury.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:58 pm

When the coaches and trainers asked Wilson how he was doing on the sideline during the game he said:

When I'm 43, 44, 45 and still playing, this is what it'll look like

Ice water.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:10 pm

Our OL becomes even more important with Russ's impacted mobility.
The first thing is they have to get the run game going early against the Rams.
If they can do that, then there's a good chance the passing game won't be too affected.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Looks like its a Sprained ankle and that Pete is planning on Russell playing

Apparently these things take 2-8 weeks to heal.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:10 pm

savvyman wrote:Looks like its a Sprained ankle and that Pete is planning on Russell playing

Apparently these things take 2-8 weeks to heal.

How much of his mobility will be affected by this injury to where he is set up for an even greater injury?
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:25 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I walked off a sprain at work in April, finished the day's work and was getting around acceptably (if not normally). Filled out a "green sheet" (accident report) just for good measure and went home, iced it for a while and went to bed.

In the morning I fell on my face getting out of bed, foot like a basketball. Turned out to have a partial tear of my Achilles tendon, limited duty for 8 weeks, still bothers me occasionally ... but if you'd asked me the day it happened I'd have told you I'd be fine.

I know I'm no world class athlete but the point is; I'll trust what I hear early this week a lot more than what he had to say yesterday.

I had a similar experience. I sprained my ankle playing baseball, finished the game, couldn't walk the next day, then 5 years later, discovered that I had some bone fragments that had chipped off during the injury.

My injury was a lot more benign than the one I saw yesterday. That twist really looked nasty, and it wouldn't surprise me if it hindered Russell for another 4-6 weeks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:36 pm

One of my grandkids twisted his ankle in a skateboarding accident. I took him to emergency and the one thing I remember the Doctor telling us was "the fastest way to heal it was to keep all weight off the ankle for 2 weeks and keep it wrapped.... good luck with that with Russell.

And no air cast? I actually believe the team if he didn't leave in a air cast or crutches of some kind.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:00 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:One of my grandkids twisted his ankle in a skateboarding accident. I took him to emergency and the one thing I remember the Doctor telling us was "the fastest way to heal it was to keep all weight off the ankle for 2 weeks and keep it wrapped.... good luck with that with Russell.

And no air cast? I actually believe the team if he didn't leave in a air cast or crutches of some kind.

I was surprised to hear that he wasn't in a boot or on crutches as well. I'm no Doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I would have assumed the Hawks staff would have taken all the extra precautions and booted him at the very least... I'm leaning more towards PC's opinion of the injury vs what was reported by Ian Rapaport this am.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Acute sprains are treated differently depending on the severity (well, except for good old R.I.C.E.).

If they can stabilize the joint enough with tape, and it's not too severe a sprain (or is just a capsule tear, which I *think* could be a possibility), then getting the swelling out of there and keeping it out is Job One™, and walking on it is fantastic at that (as long as you're not aggravating it while doing so).

It's one of those counter-intuitive things for rehabbing a sprained ankle with non-athletes- you can and should start walking on it before it really feels like you should.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:08 pm

I had a similar experience. I sprained my ankle playing baseball, finished the game, couldn't walk the next day, then 5 years later, discovered that I had some bone fragments that had chipped off during the injury.

My injury was a lot more benign than the one I saw yesterday. That twist really looked nasty, and it wouldn't surprise me if it hindered Russell for another 4-6 weeks.

RiverDog
Legacy

Big difference between hindered and unable to play. Rappaport is reaching ( per usual)...

I promise if Seattle was concerned even a little about Wilson not being available, a QB would have been signed today, like first thing in the AM ( Daniels, Vick or even Jackson or Heap WOULD have gotten the call).

Hell maybe this will be a good thing, Wilson being hindered will force him to throw the ball quickly, without relying on his mobility to escape and wait for a bigger gain ( much like the second half of last season)....

I'm not saying I want him to completely relinquish that part of his game, but truth be told, he has a habit of continually looking for a bigger strike, instead of taking the 10 -20 yards the defense is willing to give..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:58 pm

You'd think they would have signed another QB just to give Wilson some rest on his ankle as a precaution.
Maybe it isn't as bad as it seems.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:58 pm

NorthHawk wrote:You'd think they would have signed another QB just to give Wilson some rest on his ankle as a precaution.
Maybe it isn't as bad as it seems.

Then again, perhaps they don't want to show that they are concerned about Russell's health for fear of alerting the Rams into altering their game plan based on Russell's limited mobility.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:16 am

I'm not so sure they would risk prolonging the injury for the sake of deception.
It's not like he needs the extra reps.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 am

Still no signing, at this point even IF Wilson doesn't start, he'll be available.... No way does Seattle sign QB and expect him to be the backup with 2 days of practice... This isn't an end of the week surprise injury, but one they have monitored since the play...

No boot, crutches, signing? To me reads he will play.. Or at least be available...

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Seattle-S ... y-47421844
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:36 pm

The low-cost move shows confidence that quarterback Russell Wilson will be able to go against the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday. Heaps helps aid in practice at the quarterback position but also doesn't take up an active roster spot. If necessary, the team can elevate Heaps before the game on Sunday or even sign another quarterback altogether at that point.

For now, it's clear the Seahawks aren't afraid of Wilson's ankle
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 pm

The extra arm is needed just to give the ankle more time to heal.
He could also play the part of the Rams QB for the Defense to practice against and give Boykin some more practice time with the first unit on Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Russell is as tough as Brett Favre and as competitive as any man who ever played the game. He will not miss the game.
The hit he took from Clay Matthews in the NFC title game would have had most guys going off on a board and out for 6 weeks.
I listened to PC on NFL radio Monday and he said Russ is one of the toughest guys he's ever seen. He said "he's been banged up in the past and nobody even knew it".
I found that quote interesting in light of the injury reporting procedures.

But I have no doubt Russ will play and play well. If His mobility is limited we will be in the I formation a lot more and he will be even more likely to throw some deadly daggers from the pocket.
This is one of the times when the all time greats separate themselves from the pack and Russ will. I think the team will rally around him as well.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:21 am

HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Russell is as tough as Brett Favre and as competitive as any man who ever played the game. He will not miss the game.
The hit he took from Clay Matthews in the NFC title game would have had most guys going off on a board and out for 6 weeks.
I listened to PC on NFL radio Monday and he said Russ is one of the toughest guys he's ever seen. He said "he's been banged up in the past and nobody even knew it".
I found that quote interesting in light of the injury reporting procedures.

But I have no doubt Russ will play and play well. If His mobility is limited we will be in the I formation a lot more and he will be even more likely to throw some deadly daggers from the pocket.
This is one of the times when the all time greats separate themselves from the pack and Russ will. I think the team will rally around him as well.

Jay Cutler comes to mind as being the polar opposite of Russell, or more recently, Cam Newton when he didn't dive for a loose ball in the frigging Super Bowl for fear of getting hurt.

That was a gutsy performance from Russell, but to be honest, it didn't surprise me a bit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum