RW has a sprained MCL.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

RW has a sprained MCL.

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:18 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rep ... id=U218DHP

I almost did the practical joke thing, and called it a torn ACL, but after I joked about Walter Jones once, I promised River and C-bob, I would never do that again. The sad thing is the hurt ankle not the OLine probably caused this one.
obiken
Legacy

Re: RW has a sprained MCL.

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:38 am

We will see what the test results are.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:05 am

At first, I thought that he had re-injured his left ankle. I'm not sure which is worse, this sprained knee or re-injuring an already gimpy ankle.

I was yelling at Pete for letting Russell go back out there when we had a 24-3 lead. It reminded me of Shannahan's handling of RG3 a few years back. As a matter of fact, unless he's healthier than he was against the Rams, I'd sit him for the Jets game. That would give him two weeks to recover as we'll be heading into our bye. We'll see what the results of the MRI are.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:24 am

Pete didn't let RW go back in. He just went out. Pete had to yank him back out. I was watching closely & post game comments confirm my thought. Pete was surprised that RW trotted out there.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:58 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Pete didn't let RW go back in. He just went out. Pete had to yank him back out. I was watching closely & post game comments confirm my thought. Pete was surprised that RW trotted out there.

WOW that's unreal HS!! I saw Pete talking to him like: are you kidding me, let the kid have a few snaps this game is done!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 am

I was yelling at Pete for letting Russell go back out there when we had a 24-3 lead. It reminded me of Shannahan's handling of RG3 a few years back. As a matter of fact, unless he's healthier than he was against the Rams, I'd sit him for the Jets game. That would give him two weeks to recover as we'll be heading into our bye. We'll see what the results of the MRI are.

That's me, sorry Boykin could have won this game, the 9ers are a bad FB team. Not average just bad. In fact no Kapper in at 37-7 shows me that he is of them, but not one of them anymore.
I think you risk much greater injury leaving him in with 2 injuries all ready. Sorry I think we are going to regret this move. Hope I am wrong. SET HIM DOWN FOR THIS GAME AND THEN THE BYE, THAT'S A HUGE TWO WEEKS OFF! Otherwise, we looking at a TORN ACL. Sorry but thats the reality folks.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Wilson is fantastically condidtioned and tough as a 2 dollar steak. Boykin played well but if Wilson is 75% hes a better option than Boykin at 120%.
Lets get real. How about the rainbow balls deep downfield?To think some people still think he isnt a pocket passer.
Russ is a cyborg.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Hawktawk, I do agree with you; Wilson is other worldly, but I'd much rather they err on the side of caution. The Seahawks will be competitive without Wilson, but they will not make and win the Super Bowl without him. I will trust to the high-dollar, professional medical staff in ascertaining Wilson's readiness, but it will not hurt my feelings if they decide he needs to sit the next one out. I haven't been a fan for nearly as long as many on this board, but I know enough Seahawks history to know the likes of Wilson has never been seen before and may not be seen again for a long time.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Ultimately it will be up to Wilson and the staff to decide if he's " hurt" or "injured", if he's hurt, he plays, if he's injured ( or is severely endangered of being injured) he doesn't. It really isn't all that complicated, that's football.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Pete didn't let RW go back in. He just went out. Pete had to yank him back out. I was watching closely & post game comments confirm my thought. Pete was surprised that RW trotted out there.

If that's the case, then Pete is still to blame. His franchise player limps off the field then is allowed to just run back in? If he didn't tell him to sit, then he should have. That replay was gruesome. Someone should have told Pete not to let him go back in, not when you're up 24-3 late in the 3rd in Week 3.
Last edited by RiverDog on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:04 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Ultimately it will be up to Wilson and the staff to decide if he's " hurt" or "injured", if he's hurt, he plays, if he's injured ( or is severely endangered of being injured) he doesn't. It really isn't all that complicated, that's football.

You can tell by watching if a player is hindered or not. Our playoff game vs. the Redskins and RG3 in 2012 is a prime example. RG3 was cleared by the doctors but there's no way that Shannahan should have let him continue to play after seeing what was obvious to anyone with two working eyeballs. And that was a playoff game, not Game 3 of the regular season. You don't want to let the doctors make all the decisions regarding player availability. They look at Russell Wilson with the same frame of reference that they do with Gary Gilliam when clearly there's a greater risk with the former.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Russ is a guy who is on a HOF trajectory. He already hold numerous NFL records. He doesn't need a handler or someone to dictate to him if hes ready any more than Brady, Favre, Manning, Aikman.Young, etc ever did.
He's earned that right, that level of trust.

Hes god team 6. Hes a cyborg.
He will play and play extremely well.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:58 am

If RW plays, and he probably will with the bye week following...then it is going to be Absolutely Crucial for Bevell to draw up a game plan that allows Wilson to get-the-damn-ball-out-of-his-hands-asap.

Really curious how he handles this one, because if he approaches it with the same playing not to lose mentality we had in LA, then we'll end flying back west with a 2-2 mark at the break.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:20 am

Hawktawk wrote:Russ is a guy who is on a HOF trajectory. He already hold numerous NFL records. He doesn't need a handler or someone to dictate to him if hes ready any more than Brady, Favre, Manning, Aikman.Young, etc ever did.

He's Gumby in gator hide.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:30 am

It isn't always the coach RD.. As much as you may want to pin that on Carroll and the staff.

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Seahawks- ... s-47799233
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:10 am

Hawktawk wrote:Russ is a guy who is on a HOF trajectory. He already hold numerous NFL records. He doesn't need a handler or someone to dictate to him if hes ready any more than Brady, Favre, Manning, Aikman.Young, etc ever did.

I just cannot agree, the risk here outweighs the benefits. The Jet Defensive line will tear him up. You let the kid take over, tell him not to risk a pick, let the defense win ugly, and move on.
You rest RW for a whole 3 weeks, otherwise you risk him with limited mobility against a great front. Sorry, I think you guys have lost perspective on this one.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:14 am

If Im the coach and Wilson says he is ready Im at least going to start him. Hes never missed a start and I wouldn't deny him the opportunity to go to work.He will be in a brace limiting the potential for further injury.

If he seems limited then I go to the bullpen. Id have a pass heavy first couple of series driving the ball down the field to Lockette, Baldwin and Graham. Russ can throw it 70 without stepping into it, he did it last week to Baldwin. Jump on them and get up 2 scores then hand it off to Micheal and play defense.

Thats probably why i'm a grass janitor instead of an NFL HC :D :D
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:26 am

I get it but why?? Who cares about individual records. He goes down HT and our season, is over, done, caput, history.
obiken
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:32 am

Sorry, I think you guys have lost perspective on this one.

With respect, obi, I think you're not aware of the differences between this and other injuries.

We still don't know for sure what grade a sprain this is, but reports seem to indicate it's grade 1, and a grade 1 MCL sprain is not necessarily a serious, hobbling injury.

We'll see how RW looks in practice this week, but a properly braced, mild MCL sprain could be something RW can play through with minimal impact to his mobility, and it's worth noting, it's something a lot of NFL players already play with.

It'd be crazy to 'give away' an NFL game by playing your undrafted rookie backup if you don't have to.

NOW, all that said, if RW is obviously slowed, I agree with you. Our undrafted rookie backup would be preferable to our franchise QB sitting back there like a potted plant, not only for the better odds of winning, but also for the healing time.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 pm

'scuse me? Sacrifice 1 game? This is the Jets we are talking about, we can beat the Jets with Boykin @ QB. What we do NOT want to happen is for Wilson to injure his MCL further and miss the rest of the season. The worst that can happen if RW sits is that we head into the bye with a 2-2 record. But, if he plays and ends up tearing his MCL (or worse) and our season is OVER.

Pete makes it sound like it is Russell's decision whether he plays Sunday or not. NOT! The decision will be made by Pete in conjunction with the team doctors.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:13 pm

We have the #2 defense in the NFL after 3 weeks. It would be #1 except for 2 garbage TD's last Sunday. Why does anyone think that just because Boykin plays we have no chance to win. AGainst the JETS? Did you see how well they played last Sunday against KC?

If the D plays it's usual 10 points game, we can win with any QB at any time in any place. Not saying that we WILL win, but it certainly would be off base declaring it a loss just because of Russell not playing.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm

What we do NOT want to happen is for Wilson to injure his MCL further and miss the rest of the season.

And as I told you: A grade 1 sprain properly braced has virtually no chance of being injured further. There is very little instability, and those knee braces aren't like ankle tape (where a lot of the benefit is simply proprioceptive feedback).

I'm not saying RW should or shouldn't play- I'm just saying if the injury is as minor as we've been told to this point, and RW is as mobile as we're being told he is, there is no reason not to play him.

The worst that can happen if RW sits is that we head into the bye with a 2-2 record.

Hey- we all know what 2-2 is!
Last edited by burrrton on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Why does anyone think that just because Boykin plays we have no chance to win. AGainst the JETS? Did you see how well they played last Sunday against KC?

1. I don't mean to say I think it's an automatic loss- I just reject (a) that we're risking RW's health (based on what we've been told- info may change), and (b) that it's no big if we lose this game. One game could easily be the difference between a first-round bye and HFA, etc.

2. Did you see how the Rams played the Sunday before shutting our offense down?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Jjones84 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:36 pm

From what I have read, he was back at the facility the next day walking around without so much as a limp. This is an injury that a lot of guys play through. Although that is what they said before the rams game. Dez bryant played the whole game with his, and their injuries looked shockingly similar. Having said all of that, if there is any question in the coaches eyes, I hope they save him from himself. I know Boykin has made a few bad decisions, but he has made more good decisions. I read where they blitzed him lIke every snap he took, and he completed 7 of 9. I have faith in this kid. He wasn't the nation's most accurate passers his senior year by fluke. He probably would only need to score 14 to 21 pts to beat the jets. Go Hawks.
Jjones84
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:48 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:It isn't always the coach RD.. As much as you may want to pin that on Carroll and the staff.

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Seahawks- ... s-47799233

That article doesn't change a thing about what I said. The instant that Russell got to the sidelines Pete should have made it clear to him that he wasn't going back in the game. It's not like Pete was unaware that he was hurt and that it was the same leg as his sprained ankle. Plus Pete, like everyone else that follows Seahawk football, is acutely aware of Russell's intense desire to play no matter the risk to him personally (polar opposite to Cam Newton) and that the head coach was the only person in the stadium that could have kept him from going back in.

But to his credit, it didn't take him long to realize his mistake and get him out of the game.

Not to change the subject, but do you guys remember all the flack I took while on a virtual island when I used to complain about Mike Holmgren calling his own offensive plays? Although Pete obviously doesn't do any play calling, here's a great example of how a head coach can get too close to the trees that he can't see the forest if he insists on calling his own plays like Holmgren did. It also serves as a reminder that Pete isn't the first Seahawk head coach I've ever criticized on one occasion or another. It's what I do.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:10 pm

I think the injury is to the opposite leg than his high ankle sprain.
I also don't think Pete calls the Offensive plays. I believe it is Bevell who does that.
Pete may say let's run it here or we need to pass more if things aren't going right, but I think he leaves the calls up to Bevell for the most part.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:00 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I think the injury is to the opposite leg than his high ankle sprain.
I also don't think Pete calls the Offensive plays. I believe it is Bevell who does that.
Pete may say let's run it here or we need to pass more if things aren't going right, but I think he leaves the calls up to Bevell for the most part.

Dang, my memory let me down again. I could have swore that Russell sprained his left ankle. I stand corrected.

My point wasn't about Pete getting involved in play calling, it was about Holmgren. Bevell runs things past him or keeps him advised but Pete still has his veto power, particularly on 4th down. IMO that's the way it should be. Holmgren simply got too involved with the offense that he often times lost track of the bigger picture like clock management. I also feel that he didn't pay enough attention to his defense and special teams, that players were afraid to approach him because he was in his own little world when he had his face stuffed into that Denny's menu.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:26 pm

obiken wrote:I get it but why?? Who cares about individual records. He goes down HT and our season, is over, done, caput, history.

interesting, I could have sworn just last week you were professing how important EVERY game was... Must have gotten you confused with someone else...

Playoffs is not the goal, its win the division, you are not going to win the NFC title unless you get at least one home game in the playoffs. 9-7 10-6 is not going to cut it.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:29 am

Playoffs is not the goal, its win the division, you are not going to win the NFC title unless you get at least one home game in the playoffs. 9-7 10-6 is not going to cut it.

I stand by that at the time Human, not to sound like a politician. However with them losing two, the division is not going to be a run away. Moreover, the injury causes a paradigm shift. We have to think of the injury first, not just for this year, but for the future.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:27 pm

OK, I am not an orthopedic doctor so I had no idea that if properly braced Wilson's MCL cannot be injured further. That said, having a bummed up knee, properly braced or not, and a bummed up ankle could reduce Russell's mobility to the point that he injures another part of his body, like say a shoulder. If he sits he would have 3 weeks to get healthier, and IMHO that is what the Hawks should do, sit him.

Reggie White when he joined the Packers made it a point to tell Brett Favre that he really respected him after he had purposely held his arm while sacking him so that he would dislocate it. Favre did dislocate his arm on the play yet he continued to play thus he gained Reggie's respect.

Now, do we really want to leave RW wide open to have his arm, possibly his throwing arm, to be dislocated??? I imagine opposing defenses have been salivating a chance to really put a hit on Russell and slow him down. He has been embarrassing defensive lineman since he was a rookie and I am sure they applauded Suh for stepping on his ankle and slowing him down a notch, just think what they would do to him now that he has been slowed down even more? Why even take the chance??
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:35 pm

That's a chance you take every time you set foot on the field.
He's our best chance to win, so he should play.
The real question is how will our OL play against another good DL?
I don't know if they took a step forward or last week was just the 9ers being the 9ers, but I would think their confidence has improved at the very least.
Let's hope Russell stays healthy the rest of the season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:37 pm

That said, having a bummed up knee, properly braced or not, and a bummed up ankle could reduce Russell's mobility to the point that he injures another part of his body, like say a shoulder.

That's the million dollar question, and I think what the decision to play him will rest on: is his mobility reduced too much?

Indications so far are that it isn't, but we'll see...
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:34 pm

NorthHawk wrote:That's a chance you take every time you set foot on the field.
He's our best chance to win, so he should play.
The real question is how will our OL play against another good DL?
I don't know if they took a step forward or last week was just the 9ers being the 9ers, but I would think their confidence has improved at the very least.
Let's hope Russell stays healthy the rest of the season.

If he isn't anymore mobile than he was against the Rams, then he might not be our best chance to win.

I wouldn't complain one little bit if we decided to sit him vs. the Jets. Our bye is right around the corner, and with our major competition, the Cards, sitting at 1-2, it wouldn't be a disaster if we fell to 2-2, especially considering that this Sunday's game is against a non conference opponent so it won't figure into any tiebreakers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:42 pm

You play to win the game. It really is that simple. You don't play to win the game 4 weeks from now, or 4 years from now. You play to win THIS game, each and every week. If a player is the best player you have, is crucial to wins, and even hurt gives you the best chance to win this game, without destroying the possibility of playing in the future, and can stomach the pain and lack of comfort. He plays.

Surprised how many seem confused about that. It's the way it's always been, and will always be in the NFL....

Wilson was clearly capable of playing with it last week, he may not be this week. However, IF the staff and Wilson come to the conclusion that he it's capable of playing, without risking his career or season in the process, he will play, and not only that, he SHOULD play. It it's part of the game folks, despite your love of the guy...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 am

HumanCockroach wrote:You play to win the game. It really is that simple. You don't play to win the game 4 weeks from now, or 4 years from now. You play to win THIS game, each and every week. If a player is the best player you have, is crucial to wins, and even hurt gives you the best chance to win this game, without destroying the possibility of playing in the future, and can stomach the pain and lack of comfort. He plays.

Surprised how many seem confused about that. It's the way it's always been, and will always be in the NFL....

Wilson was clearly capable of playing with it last week, he may not be this week. However, IF the staff and Wilson come to the conclusion that he it's capable of playing, without risking his career or season in the process, he will play, and not only that, he SHOULD play. It it's part of the game folks, despite your love of the guy...

I'm not sure who you're trying to argue with, but you just said essentially the same thing I did.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:57 am

I'm not sure who you're trying to argue with, but you just said essentially the same thing I did.

Sorry, once again I cant agree. IF it was the playoffs, fine, it would worth the calculated risk, this to me is a foolish gamble.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:16 pm

obiken wrote:Sorry, once again I cant agree. IF it was the playoffs, fine, it would worth the calculated risk, this to me is a foolish gamble.

The problem is that none of us know exactly what the risk is. If I were Pete and they told me that one fluke play and he's gone for the season, then I'd sit him for this game whereas I might play him if it were the playoffs or a critical regular season game. But I don't have that kind of information. All I'm saying is that I'm perfectly fine with him sitting.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Any play could be a players last. That's the sad truth about playing in the NFL and is one of the reasons they are paid so much.
Players do play on sprained MCL's regularly - depending on the degree of the sprain of course, and from what we hear Wilson's sprain is of the milder variety.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Any play could be a players last. That's the sad truth about playing in the NFL and is one of the reasons they are paid so much.
Players do play on sprained MCL's regularly - depending on the degree of the sprain of course, and from what we hear Wilson's sprain is of the milder variety.

Whether or not we're risking him to further injury is one issue. The other is does playing him at something less than 100% of his normal mobility, like he was vs. the Rams, still give us the best chance to win this Sunday?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

That's the question, isn't it?
Is Boykin 90% of a healthy Wilson?
Is he 50%?
I don't know, but I do know that Wilson at 75% is as good as most starting QBs in the league.
Like you said above, we don't really know how hobbled Wilson is and my guess of 75% considering he is practicing with the 1st team as usual, is a pretty high bar for Boykin to better, for him to replace Wilson as the starter.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum