When do the '72 Dolphins break out the champagne?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

When do the '72 Dolphins break out the champagne?

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:09 am

The Vikings are the last unbeaten team in the league. In order, their remaining schedule has them at Philly, at Chicago, vs. Detroit, at Washington, vs. Arizona, at Detroit, vs. Dallas, at Jacksonville, vs. Indy, at Green Bay, and vs. Chicago. Not exactly Murderer's Row.

My guess is that they will go 9-0 before Arizona knocks them off. Regardless of what you might think of them, it's pretty amazing that a team can lose both their starting quarterback and a HOF running back yet still run off 5 straight victories to open the season. Mike Zimmer's doing a heck of a job and has to be considered the leading candidate for Coach of the Year.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: When do the '72 Dolphins break out the champagne?

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:15 am

Not they'll still be undefeated by then but at GB will put an end to it if they are.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:13 am

Streaks often end when you least expect it and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a team like Detroit who ended it. Maybe even in Minnesota.
It seems doubtful today, but weird things happen during the season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:49 am

They go undefeated until the NFC championship game and the Hawks knock them off in their new "warm" stadium. 13-6.

Might as well make Shula and the boys squirm for awhile
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:38 pm

I took the Vikes to win the division after watching them in the preseason
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:03 am

Since it's a complete disadvantage to go into the playoffs undefeated, their cheesy record may stand after all...
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:55 am

NorthHawk wrote:Streaks often end when you least expect it and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a team like Detroit who ended it. Maybe even in Minnesota.
It seems doubtful today, but weird things happen during the season.

My thoughts exactly. If you look back at some of the Patriots' really good seasons, you see that one of their losses will be unexplainable. In 2004, one of their two losses was to the 4-14 Dolphins. In 2010, one of their two losses was to the 5-11 Browns. I think they'll lose 2 or 3 games this year (I'll predict Dallas as one) with at least one head-scratcher.

I also fully expect them to make a deep playoff run. That is a really good team.
Oly
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:26 am

I'm starting to come around on them, but am I the only one that looks at MIN and sees a darn good, but not history-making, defense with a milquetoast offense and doesn't think that's a recipe for a championship?

It could just be wishful thinking, and I'm not one to dismiss a 5-0 record lightly, but I would have no fear of us going in to MIN at this point.

I don't know- I wouldn't argue with anyone who says I'm wrong... I'm just not seeing it yet.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:47 am

by burrrton » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:26 am
I'm starting to come around on them, but am I the only one that looks at MIN and sees a darn good, but not history-making, defense with a milquetoast offense and doesn't think that's a recipe for a championship?

Nope. I feel exactly the same way. Minnesota doesn't scare me in the least, at least not in the throttle horrid offenses = great defense sort of way.

The truth is, they can't effectively run the ball ( even on some bad to mediocre run defenses) don't effectively score points on offense against those same said defenses, and rely almost exclusively on ST and defense to feed them points.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:35 pm

That was largely us in 2012.
We had for the most part a mediocre Offense and a great Defense and they're using the same formula.
They could win it all if the cards fall right.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:13 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We had for the most part a mediocre Offense and a great Defense and they're using the same formula.

We were steadily improving, with one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL, and ended up a top-10 scoring O.

MIN could continue to improve, and I reserve the right to change my mind if they do, but right now, they're one of the least effective offenses in the NFL.

I don't know- with a great D, you can be middle of the road offensively and get away with it. When you're near the bottom in so many categories, though, it feels a bit like you're winning with smoke and mirrors or something, ya know?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:24 pm

burrrton wrote:It could just be wishful thinking, and I'm not one to dismiss a 5-0 record lightly, but I would have no fear of us going in to MIN at this point.

Neither do I, but a potential matchup between us and the Vikings wasn't really the point. The point I'm trying to make is that they are our biggest threat to going back to the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean that I'm worried about facing them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:47 pm

NorthHawk wrote:That was largely us in 2012.
We had for the most part a mediocre Offense and a great Defense and they're using the same formula.
They could win it all if the cards fall right.

I could almost go along with you on this thought, however, Seattle STILL had BeastMode ( are you willing to compare Breast to any of the RBs currently residing on Minnesota's squad?) Wilson ( rookie as he was, was actually capable at the time of creating epic drives. Is Bradford even in that realm?) and a HEALTHY team ( at least in general terms. Minnesota had to sign Jake Long just this week to replace their injured, IR left tackle).

For ALL of Seattle's "growing pains" that year, they were STILL light years ahead in terms of health on the offensive side of the ball heading into the playoffs.... Does HF advantage negate ALL of that? IMHO it doesn't, doesn't even come close to doing so.

In 12' Seattle was a stifling defense, run dominant ( SUCCESSFUL run dominant) offense with a QB that could and WOULD beat you with his legs or arm if necessary, and it STILL wasn't enough... I'm not seeing how in the world that parallels a defensive team that stifles enemic offenses, that relies almost exclusively on said defense ( or worse yet STs) to CREATE those points.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:29 pm

We were strong on Defense, strong on ST, and not as strong on Offense.
Minnesota is the same with a defensive minded coach. There are a lot of parallels.
It's a proven formula, and Denver used it last year for a SB win albeit with an Offensive coach.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:33 pm

You're dismissing quite a bit. Seattle could move the ball effectively on offense even against elite defenses ( like SF), something Minnesota to date hasn't been able to accomplish, even against mediocre defenses ( Tennessee for example). Was a top ten scoring offense, and a top three rushing offense.... Who again, could and did put drives and points on the board when necessary.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:55 pm

In order teams offensive pts a game faced and beaten by Minnesota.... Tennessee ( 26th), GB (12th) Carolina (11th), NYG( 29th),Houston ( 32nd).

In EVERY game to date, Minnesota's offense hasn't outscored their opponent without either direct or indirect forced defensive or ST scores ( it simply isn't an offense to be worried, much less respected) , nor do I believe have they had more offensive yards in any.. I will check, but I don't believe the Vikings offense has done so. ( maybe NYGs???).

Edit: they outgained NYG ( 30 yards) and Houston, were outgained by Tennessee ( yeah Tennessee), Carolina and had a virtual tie with GB....take that for what it's worth.... Meaning barely performing at the same level against 4 of the worst defenses in the league as the poor offenses performed against the stellar one in Minnesota.
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:02 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We were strong on Defense, strong on ST, and not as strong on Offense.
Minnesota is the same with a defensive minded coach. There are a lot of parallels.
It's a proven formula, and Denver used it last year for a SB win albeit with an Offensive coach.

You're dumbing down our 2012 offense to make that parallel more plausible. You can say not AS strong on O as on D, but we *were* strong. Minnesota isn't. Even Denver was middle of the pack offensively.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Looks like the glasses are out on the table!
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Yup, the corks are popping, and MIN looked a lot like I expect them to.

Not that it'll continue (I have a long and storied history of being wrong), but this week at least it looks like they regressed to the mean you'd expect based on their personnel losses (losses for a team that probably wasn't going to be that good to begin with).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Wow, was I way off or what! I guess I'd better keep the day job.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Eh, was it some sort of secret on how to beat them? Hit Bradford.... the end...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum