Official Seahawks vs Falcons POST Game Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Official Seahawks vs Falcons POST Game Thread

Postby savvyman » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Seahawks were out-talented and out-coached by the Falcons

But the Falcons were Out-Gritted by the Hawks.

What a victory.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Official Seahawks vs Falcons POST Game Thread

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:43 pm

3rd qtr without a doubt. But, we controlled and won the other 3 qtrs. Not in the 220 yards / 3 TD variety that Ryan got, but it was a typical win for the Seahawks. I'm sure we''ll hear a lot more this week about what the f was going on with Sherman, but they got over it when it mattered.

ON to Sunday night against the Cardinals, maybe up 2 games in the loss column. Go J-E-T-S
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:45 pm

savvyman wrote:Seahawks were out-talented and out-coached by the Falcons

What a victory.

No they weren't Savvy, we were lucky, but as a Hawk fan I am not going to whine about it!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Home cookin' ...
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:51 pm

Definite PI by Sherm, but hey, he's Sherm, he's gonna get the benefit of the doubt sometime.

ET29, happy to see him make plays today, his best game of the year in terms of making plays.

RW3, you can tell the knee and ankle are still bothering him quite a bit. Sucks that part of his game is pretty much gone, it is so much fun to watch.

A big win, especially with no KC31 against this potent offense. Extremely happy with a 4-1 record at this point.

And 3 rushing TD's, nice to see. The O-line, from my eye test, seemed to play a pretty good game.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:02 pm

Clearly PI, but I've always maintained that the calls even up in the fullness of time.
Let's hope it's not in a playoff game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:19 pm

Observations:
The offensive Line played very well again. I don't remember ONE penalty on them -- false starts, holding, etc. and only maybe 2 negative runs.
The "Jimmy Graham" experiment is continuing to pay dividends -- leading receiver again this week. But, I'd like to see us do more in the Red Zone with him.
I'll bet the special teams that do the FG's and Extra Points have a lot of extra practice this week. A blocked EP? Haven't seen that in a long time.
Russell being Russell, but I don't see a 'killer instinct' at the end of the game. His last 3rd down pass, it wouldn't of got a first down even if completed. Was the wind affecting the downfield passes?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:20 pm

oopps -- double post
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:25 pm

A win is a win!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:26 pm

I agree with Northhawk; prime example being the Fail Mary game against the pack. Majority of NFL fans still believe the refs gave the game to Seahawks with the catch, but they forget the phantom PI call on Kam that extended what ended up being the Pack's go ahead TD. The Falcons got away with their share in that game. I thought they got a little piece of Kearse when Wilson threw that long ball to him.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:11 pm

A big one the Falcons got away with was Jones' hands to the face on that play:

https://twitter.com/LBacker/status/787838912177709056

There was a reason Sherm was beat, and that's because Jones committed a clear penalty at the LoS. The zebras just don't like flags on final plays, and let the guys play.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:44 pm

Obvious PI on Sherman at the end of the game, but that wasn't the only blown PI the refs didn't catch. As I recall, there was an equally blatant PI that robbed Kearse of a TD earlier in the game. But the one that everyone remembers and that Sports Center and all the other talking heads will feature will be the one Sherman got away with. Such is life.

Besides, as victimized as our franchise has been by bad officiating, from Vinnie Testaverde's helmet touchdown to XL, I'm not about to apologize for benefiting from some poor officiating.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:22 am

RiverDog wrote:Obvious PI on Sherman at the end of the game, but that wasn't the only blown PI the refs didn't catch. As I recall, there was an equally blatant PI that robbed Kearse of a TD earlier in the game. But the one that everyone remembers and that Sports Center and all the other talking heads will feature will be the one Sherman got away with. Such is life.

Besides, as victimized as our franchise has been by bad officiating, from Vinnie Testaverde's helmet touchdown to XL, I'm not about to apologize for benefiting from some poor officiating.

That's what my brother said River, remember the Steeler-Hawk Superbowl.
obiken
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:16 am

Yep, it was PI on Sherm not flagged, but it was hands-to-the-face by Jones at the beginning of the play not flagged, and blatant PI on Kearse earlier not flagged.

Guess which one will be on a 24-hour loop for the next 3 days on ESPN2, though?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:05 am

burrrton wrote:Guess which one will be on a 24-hour loop for the next 3 days on ESPN2, though?

Yea, NFL Network has already begun talking about it, linking it to Fail Mary and the Megatron fumble batted out of the end zone.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 am

RiverDog wrote:Yea, NFL Network has already begun talking about it, linking it to Fail Mary and the Megatron fumble batted out of the end zone.

And they wonder why Seahawk fans have a persecution complex... :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:27 pm

I wish people would quit saying "obvious PI" on Sherrm. Yeah, there was hand-fighting. That same sort of thing was left uncalled all day (some of you reference the obvious no-call on Jermaine). How fair would it have been to change up the way the game is called on 4th down during desperation time? To chunk play the Falcons into game winning position? Most ballers agree that you want the players to play it out and not let the refs decide the game - that is except for the team, their fans and the fans who hate the team who "got away with one".

If the rest of the league wants someone to blame. they can start with the Falcons play-calling in the 4th quarter - it was totally stupid. On that last series, they did not gain ONE inch and they had 4 tries to get a first down (with time on the clock, sidelines and timeouts). There was no reason to chuck it 4 times. Were they hoping to get a call? They LOST - fair and square and I don't feel one second bad about it and I do not feel lucky.

Even if you say yeah - that was totally, without question, 100% text-book PI (which I don't) that should be called on 4th down, one cannot isolate a win or loss on the last play of the game, as has ben pointed out. The three games that people point at to illustrate how the Hawks are loved by the refs (don't make me laugh): the Fail Mary game, KJ knocking the ball out of the end-zone vs. the Lions, and this one.

1. The Fail Mary call could have gone either way. I do still feel like many in here just listened to the national diatribe and did not follow the facts. Still, no matter. But it should be agreed that there is NEVER OPI or DPI on a fourth down prayer/hail Mary end-zone chuck - so leave that part out - PLEASE. Also, as evidenced in a screen by screen dissection - GT had possession of the ball before and as his ass hit the ground. Again, whatever - we would not have been in a position to NEED a go ahead TD had earlier phantom calls not been made or calls that should have been made missed. (Can you say OL holding against Green Bay like 5 times?) This game gets brought up a great deal - more than XL - which I think is lame. Again - whatever.

2. The Lions game was different. Had the correct call been made, it would have been a travesty. There is the spirit of the rule and the letter of the rule. No Lion player was within a mile of that ball after it was stripped. KJ could have fallen on it or a hundred other scenarios....the Lions landing on it and regaining possession was not an option based on where their asses were. Again - whatever. Bad calls both ways. We won.

3. The Falcons and the Seahawk haters need to hang it up. You play the game until it is over. We kicked their ass in quarters 1, 2 and 4 and they had a great 3rd Q. We were not out-played or outcoached. WE WON - fair and square and are 4 - 1 atop the NCFW. Period

Oh yeah, the lucky Vikings game too. We were so lucky. We made our luck with Sherman almost blocking the previous FG and it was as cold for their STs as it was for ours. We had to execute and we did (just barely in one instance and we didn't earlier....which directly led to their points. Just because a play happens as time runs out doesn't mean it is the most important.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:43 pm

The missed PI call is part of a varied dynamic in the NFL.
There is inconsistent refereeing not only across the league, but within games.
Some people want more things to be added to the video replay.
Like it or not, Sherman wears a black hat across the league so when he "gets away with one" at the end of the game it becomes a headline.
More stuff may have gone on during the game that wasn't called, but viewers are left with their impressions by what they see last. It's human nature to dismiss everything that went on previously and focus on the end because there are no more chances left.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:05 pm

I agree, North. 110%. Remembering what one sees last is called the recency effect. The serial position effect, as you all likely know intrinsically if you didn't study it in Psych 101, asserts that the human brain is more likely to remember things at the beginning of a sequence/series (or in this case - the game) and at the end. The primary effect is remembering things early, the recency effect is to remember and more highly rank what comes later in the sequence (game). This is exacerbated by the fact that the most recent thing (the last thing) that happens in football feels like "THE" thing that caused the outcome. In reality, the end score is the sum total of the entire 60 minutes. Even to me it doesn't feel like it when we chortle out a loss in the waning moments of a game (or the opposite).

Officiating is a tough gig; I think I'd hate it. They are expected to see bang-bang... in an instant and make a judgment about what we all get to watch 10 times in slow motion to see/judge with less knowledge and experience. Looping back to the point, this crew called PI both ways very loosely. Both sides could have rightfully been flagged a time or two and the opposite argument can be made too, particularly on the 4th down/game is on the line pass. I think it was a good no call, particularly given the no call on Kearse and the time of the game. Still, I realistically know that had that been Trufant on Doug, I'd probably be pissed.

The big but (I like big buts) is that when it comes to the Hawks, these calls/no-call plays are always highlighted on the NFLN or ESPN. I guess in a way it is good. We used to be so irrelevant that people hardly knew there was a team in the PNW. Let me ask this - Who in here knows (and this is a true tale) that the Jaguars lost to the Packers on opening Sunday by 4 points? Who in here also knows that the Jags were in the red zone in the closing seconds but failed to punch it in? And - to my point - who further knows that Gus wrote the standard WTF is up with these calls letter to the league and the NFL apologized for getting more than 10 calls wrong in that game?? Anyone? Each of the bad calls negatively impacted the Jags. Now, you cannot convince me that the Jags couldn't have mustered up another 4 points if even 1/2 of these hankies had not been thrown, but because it was Rogers and the Pack against the Jags, nobody cares. (I care because I saw the Packers as being a threat to HFA 9and I hate Rogers).

I guess I will take solace in the fact that people hate us....and they hate us because we are a consistent threat. I mean really - who hates the Jags?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:08 pm

As far as the final play went...I woulda understood if they had called it. I think Jone's hands to the face that started out the play helped things play out a moment later during the incompletion - and no call.

Had the pleasure of seeing this game live.
Great one to catch, obviously.
The Falcons...just need to put together a better D. Even a slightly above average one would allow them to win 10+ games per season in the future. They hung in there, that's for sure.

Meanwhile...4-1, and some Very winnable games coming up with the next 2 on the road.

Go Hawks!!!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Positives
Defense played lights out in 1st 1/2 Cliff & Earl especially
Oline was solid.
3 Penalties.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:19 pm

savvyman wrote:Seahawks were out-talented and out-coached by the Falcons

What a victory.

I disagree.
Other than one quarter where Sherman lost his cookies and the defense was completely out of sorts, we kicked their butts.
The entire first half the Falcons didn't even look like they belonged on the field with us. The fourth quarter was also all us except for the kicking game.
The Falcons had one crazy good quarter, that's it... Last I checked games have all four quarters.

The Falcons are neither more talented nor better coached, though I do think they will be legit contenders this year.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Hawk sista, you're on a roll with your posts recently, loved the points you made about the Jaguars Packers game. :D
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Officiating is a tough gig; I think I'd hate it. They are expected to see bang-bang... in an instant and make a judgment about what we all get to watch 10 times in slow motion to see/judge with less knowledge and experience. Looping back to the point, this crew called PI both ways very loosely. Both sides could have rightfully been flagged a time or two and the opposite argument can be made too, particularly on the 4th down/game is on the line pass. I think it was a good no call, particularly given the no call on Kearse and the time of the game. Still, I realistically know that had that been Trufant on Doug, I'd probably be pissed.

That right there is the key. I don't care if your stike zone is ankle to waist or knees to collar; as long as you call it the same for everybody we got us a game.

edit: tonight's game is the opposite, they calling things too tight to be able to enjoy the game.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:59 pm

So, what you're saying is the NFL "media" made so much of a big deal over a few calls from yesterday, that they instructed Boger to ruin the game tonight? Either that, or he's doing it on his own (as crew chief) just to prove a point, for those that want "every call" made.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:34 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:So, what you're saying is the NFL "media" made so much of a big deal over a few calls from yesterday, that they instructed Boger to ruin the game tonight? Either that, or he's doing it on his own (as crew chief) just to prove a point, for those that want "every call" made.

Are you talking to me? cause I didn't say anything like that. All I'm saying is be consistent.

Last night's crew was consistent and tonight's crew is consistent, as a player that's all you can ask. So both games are called fairly, even though very differently.

The watchability of a too tightly called game is a purely ancillary observation and a matter of personal preference.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:59 am

Just repeating what we already know, but worth reading for it explaining (1) how ridiculous it would be to start reviewing PI, and (2) what Sis brought up about our propensity to put more importance on the last play of the game (and even the last moments of the last play, ignoring the beginning).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -play-too/
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:33 am

c_hawkbob wrote:That right there is the key (about penalties). I don't care if your stike zone is ankle to waist or knees to collar; as long as you call it the same for everybody we got us a game.

edit: tonight's game is the opposite, they calling things too tight to be able to enjoy the game.

Agreed. IMO the refs made a conscious decision to let the player's play, particularly at the end of the game. If you're going to call things close, you do it in the first quarter, not with less than 2 minutes to go in the game. How many times have fans clamored about the refs determining the outcome of games?

Listening to Sirius XM yesterday, the tide did turn a little in defense of that last non PI call. They did start mentioning the beginning of the play and not just the end. The Falcons only have themselves to blame for losing that game. They had plenty of opportunities, even in that last drive, to put something together and they didn't. Coaches always talk about not putting yourself in a position where a freak call or a bad bounce causes you to lose the game.

The MNF game last night was torturous, and extremely difficult for a passive fan to watch. That game ought to be posted as an example in the thread about the ratings decline.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:16 am

Didn't think it deserved its own thread due to everyone knowing this was coming, but it looks like Willson had surgery this morning (he tweeted out a pic of himself in a hospital bed saying "the healing starts now" or something).

Hope it was minor and we can get him back this season.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:33 am

From sports.mynorthwest.com

"RENTON – Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett escaped serious injury when he hurt his knee during the team’s win over Atlanta on Sunday, but the same wasn’t true for tight end Luke Willson. Coach Pete Carroll said Monday that tests revealed some cartilage damage and “stretched ligaments” in Willson’s knee, mentioning the MCL and saying that surgery may be required. Carroll said the team will have a better idea about that in the next few days."

What type of surgery he's having (or had) isn't known yet. I hope it's just a minor cleanup on some cartilage and he's back in a few weeks or less.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Old but Slow wrote:For me, the elephant in the room is the PI penalty itself. The call is somewhat subjective anyway, so go back to a 15 yard penalty instead of "spot of the foul". Part of the reason that many PI calls are not made on 4th and long or Hail Mary, is that it's part of offensive strategy: we can't make it on our own, so try for a penalty. The official knows that any call he makes may be the determination of the winner, so he is extra conservative.

I agree, but on this occasion, the spot foul wasn't nearly as important as the automatic first down. There was still plenty of time on the clock and all the Falcons needed was to get into FG range.

I also think that it's possible that home field advantage made a difference in the subconscious minds of the officials.

One thing that was being talked about on Sirius XM was making those types of penalties or no calls reviewable. I couldn't disagree more with this thought. Good, bad, or indifferent, the refs are a big part of the game. You might as well get rid of the officials entirely and do all the officiating by computer or some sort of God from the press box with scores of replays and angles. You can over engineer this game to where it's no longer recognizable from that which we all once played.

Life isn't fair. Get used to it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:04 pm

That's a good point RiverDog. Where does it stop? On that single play, it wouldn't be fair to just review the no-call on DPI. You have to review what every single player did during that play. Julio Jones' head slap and the Atlanta guard riding Cassius Marsh into the ground as Marsh was blowing past him would count for something wouldn't they? It would get way to out of hand.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum