Russ has a new injury?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Russ has a new injury?

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:23 am

The Wednesday injury report listed Russell as having an injury to his right pectoral muscle. Does anyone know anything more about this?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Russ has a new injury?

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 am

When he was throwing near his own end zone and the DE hit his arm and knocked the ball out when he was throwing.
I initially feared a Rotator Cuff, but now hear it's a pectoral injury.
He was apparently limited in practice yesterday, but I expect him to start on Sunday.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:15 am

Russ was as inacurate last Sunday as I remember in a long time. I imagine the injury was a factor. So now he has no wheels and a bum throwing arm. Not good.
Boikin may need to brush up on the playbook after all.
It just demonstrates how spoiled Hawks fans have been for the last 4+ seasons. We are finding out Russ is human after all.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:26 am

You fellas better look at Tony Romo for a backup

just sayin
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 am

I HATE saying " I told you so" but I did tell everybody that the Hawks should have sat him before the bye to give him almost 3 weeks to recover, But NOOO The Hawks couldn't do that, could they? Now, because of his immobility he has sustained yet another injury. I don't know if any of you have looked but the first half of the schedule is the EZ half, the 2nd. half is going to be BRUTAL.

We ALL worried what could happen to Russ playing behind a young leaky not to mention CHEAP O-Line. Now Russ has sustained 3 debilitating injuries and it is just going to get worse for him. I believe we should put the rookie in and play him until Wilson is 100% healed, IF that is even possible at this point.

The REAL question is what is to be done to fix the O-Line because at this point the plan is to start Fant has not even been playing organized football on ANY level for more than 2 years. Pete seems to think that the return or Rawls will cure most of the running game's ills. What a load of B.S. First of all Rawls will take several games to get even close to what he was BEFORE he started this string of injuries LAST SEASON. Second of all Rawls is NOT going to do any better running behind this line than CM has.

he line has lost our Super Bowl starting Center, LT, and LG and we have not adequately replaced them and don't look to any time soon.

This starts at the very top in Pete and John and their philosophy of penny pinching the O-Line and that HAS to change.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:I HATE saying " I told you so" but I did tell everybody that the Hawks should have sat him before the bye to give him almost 3 weeks to recover, But NOOO The Hawks couldn't do that, could they? Now, because of his immobility he has sustained yet another injury. I don't know if any of you have looked but the first half of the schedule is the EZ half, the 2nd. half is going to be BRUTAL.

We ALL worried what could happen to Russ playing behind a young leaky not to mention CHEAP O-Line. Now Russ has sustained 3 debilitating injuries and it is just going to get worse for him. I believe we should put the rookie in and play him until Wilson is 100% healed, IF that is even possible at this point.

The REAL question is what is to be done to fix the O-Line because at this point the plan is to start Fant has not even been playing organized football on ANY level for more than 2 years. Pete seems to think that the return or Rawls will cure most of the running game's ills. What a load of B.S. First of all Rawls will take several games to get even close to what he was BEFORE he started this string of injuries LAST SEASON. Second of all Rawls is NOT going to do any better running behind this line than CM has.

he line has lost our Super Bowl starting Center, LT, and LG and we have not adequately replaced them and don't look to any time soon.

This starts at the very top in Pete and John and their philosophy of penny pinching the O-Line and that HAS to change.

I definitely agree we have to invest in a decent Oline for all the reasons that have been mentioned throughout the Shack - however two of the three starters you referenced are playing horrible or aren't playing at all. Okung has been horrible - Sweezy hasn't been healthy. Unger is solid for the Saints, but I think we can all agree that Britt has been solid for the Hawks. Not disagreeing on fielding a better Oline - just the players the Hawks let walk for more money, probably weren't worth it.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:57 am

I can't wait for future threads that are upset about the lack of defensive stopping power because of too much investment on the offensive line.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Won't happen with this FO ( thank god).

Eh, investing unlimited money on the line is the fastest way into irrelevance, even Holmgren and co. Grasped that, even IF no one here bemoaning the lack of dollars spent on mediocre talent ( ie free agent lineman) does, or remembers it.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Good Gawd! With a banged up already mediocre O-Line and a lack of running backs and now a bunged up QB with no viable backup the D despite being sappped in ARZ will have to really step up over the next 3 games otherwise it could be bad.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:he line has lost our Super Bowl starting Center, LT, and LG and we have not adequately replaced them and don't look to any time soon.

We've lost more than that. Every single OL starter from SB 48/49 is no longer with the team. The starters we've let walk or traded include Okung, McQuistran, Carpenter, Sweezy, Breno, and Unger, plus we lost Zach Miller, who was a heck of a blocking tight end. That's one heck of a lot in such a short time.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:29 pm

That ^^^ isn't accurate. Britt was the starting RT for the Seahawks in SB 49, and as I recall, there wasn't a heck of a lot of glowing endorsements for any of those lineman_(nor Britt as far back as this off season) that left with the exception of Unger ( who was outplayed and injured the year of 49). There was ALWAYS an inadequate line according to most on this board.

In fact I was told repeatedly, and with vigor that Giacomini wasn't a starting caliber RT, that Carpenter was a bust, that Sweezy was a waste of space project, that Okung was an injury prone liability.... Typically right after a poor game, with lots of pressure..... Strange, here we are again, with players different, but the same claims of sub par play ( lack of talent) right after a poor game.... I expect the same until they walk, at which point wash, and repeat..

I'm not entirely sure when some got the impression there would never be bad games, or pressure, I assure you all, regardless of the dollar signs next to those names, there will be, EVERY season.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:49 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:That ^^^ isn't accurate. Britt was the starting RT for the Seahawks in SB 49, and as I recall, there wasn't a heck of a lot of glowing endorsements for any of those lineman_(nor Britt as far back as this off season) that left with the exception of Unger ( who was outplayed and injured the year of 49). There was ALWAYS an inadequate line according to most on this board.

In fact I was told repeatedly, and with vigor that Giacomini wasn't a starting caliber RT, that Carpenter was a bust, that Sweezy was a waste of space project, that Okung was an injury prone liability.... Typically right after a poor game, with lots of pressure..... Strange, here we are again, with players different, but the same claims of sub par play ( lack of talent) right after a poor game.... I expect the same until they walk, at which point wash, and repeat..

I'm not entirely sure when some got the impression there would never be bad games, or pressure, I assure you all, regardless of the dollar signs next to those names, there will be, EVERY season.

OK, if you want to play word games, I should have said that none of the OL starters in SB 48/49 are still playing for us at the position they played on the SB teams. Britt's journey up and down the OL certainly does not invalidate my point.

I was not commenting on the wisdom of letting any or all of those guys go. I was merely pointing out that it was a very large number of players to lose from one area on a SB quality team, perhaps unprecedented for a team that went to two straight SB's to suffer that kind of turnover in one area of their team in just their second season following back-to-back SB's.

It's hard to imagine how we could whiff on so many OL's that were brought in here to start that not a single one of them (save Unger, who was part of the previous regime) were developed to a point where they were worth a 2nd contract. Nolan Ryan would be proud of all the strike outs Pete and Cable registered. Thank God that's the only area of the team they've struck out with.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Interesting, I believe they all, every single one of them received second contracts. Is there one I'm not aware of that currently isn't in the NFL? The truth is, they were ALL starting caliber lineman despite yours and many others claims to the contrary ( just like four of the five, and possibly all five of the current lineman). It seems many have forgotten that. Seattle has drafted, developed and played numerous starting caliber lineman, and yet the continued story when they're here is they suck, followed by why didn't we spend a bunch of money on the players that we said sucked, followed by this current player sucks. It's this cycle that is repeated each and every season.

The truth is, all those lineman people wanted run out of town, that they then professed they wished Seattle had held on to, didn't suck nearly as bad as they professed, and were ALL starting caliber lineman. It is the SAME cycle we are currently going through. They just happen to be in the "they suck" stage, only a matter of time until they are in the "why didn't we keep them" stage.

As for those players, if they had "whiffed" they wouldn't be receiving multi year enormous guaranteed contracts with other teams. Not how it works. They hit on them, unfortunately, unless you don't want to keep guys like Wilson or any other all pro players, you can't pay them over inflated contracts. Guess Seattle could have let Wilson walk and kept Sweezy, Carpenter and Okung....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Seems this is a good 'injury' thread to post this:

Bennett is out.

Damnit.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Bennett out bummer I was counting on him sacking Drew all day long. Guess Avril and co are going to have to step it up.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Possible surgery isn't good news either...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:45 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Possible surgery isn't good news either...

No sht.

Pessimist in me feels compelled to say again: this is how seasons are derailed.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:03 am

Bennett will have surgery, on positive note looks like they are also talking about extension

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ee-surgery
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:12 am

Maybe the surgery will suppress his cost for us a little.

Another bright note, though: it's just meniscus cleanup. Relatively quick rehab- should be back in a few weeks.

Hurts, but could be a lot worse.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:37 am

I read it was cartlidge damage. Even so, meniscus "clean-up" is nothing to sneeze at, once the meniscus is gone it is gone, it doesn't grow back. I know, I have sufferer with knee problems ever since highschool.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:58 am

Meniscus is cartilage.

And no, it doesn't grow back- I'm just saying it's an easy rehab, and whether he'll feel similar long-term effects like you have depends greatly on how much is removed and where it came from.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Yeah ask Greg Oden, or Brandon Roy, both Blazers. Roy's Knees are shot, its bone on bone.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Meniscus may be cartlidge but like someone else said it is what is between joints so that they don't rub together (I.E. bone on bone) once it is gone it is gone.

There is some stuff that they can inject into the joints that can take the place of meniscus but to me, that is for regular people so that they can get through life without excruciating pain and not for professional athletes. Pros can have it done but I am sure it would not last long.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Guys, I'm not making this sh*t up as I go- I went to school for this and rehabbed these injuries for 10 years.

Yes, if you take out a lot of the meniscus, you can end up with severe arthritis/bone-on-bone, etc. But it doesn't have to lead to that necessarily- there are many people that get 'clean up' for small tears (where the surgeon removes bits and/or cuts the damaged portion out) that have no more knee issues later in life than anyone else.

Like I said, it depends how much is removed and where it comes from.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:10 pm

You are correct, burrrton. It could be a flap or rough spots on the the meniscus that can be clipped or shaved off. It is minor as these things go. He'll be back in two weeks and we are gonna. We need him and Kam back.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum