Official Seahawks vs Panthers POST Game Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Official Seahawks vs Panthers POST Game Thread

Postby savvyman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:51 pm

A thorough beat down on a depleted Panther team. Earl's loss for the rest of the season will hurt. Still the Defense remains an elite one without Earl - but no doubt his loss will be felt. The rest of the team - especially the offense - will have to make up for the loss of Thomas.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Official Seahawks vs Panthers POST Game Thread

Postby burrrton » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Would be nice to be able to enjoy this ass-kicking like usual, but ET's injury rains on the euphoria...

Hoping to hear it's not as bad as we thought tomorrow.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:11 pm

ETs loss definitely overshadows the W. It sucks and I hope ET has a quick recovery.

A lot of positives on O. Rawls and Lockett were terrific. The oline had moments of being a really good unit. RW was whirling around and making plays.

Doesn't look like we'll get ET back, be perhaps a Prosise and functioning O will give the ET-less D a breather.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Sucks to have ET go down in this beat-DOWN of the kitty cats. Good game. Love the intensity of the line and Rawls and Tyler and Doug and Jimmy and Boykin & Hauschka & the entire D.

#GoHawks #HealEarl
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:26 pm

*Sigh*

Earl, damn. It is what it is...and that sucks, lol.

Great win even if it was at the expense of a completely different Panther team from a year ago. RB depth is Very sketchy, ha. Onward and upward.

Go Hawks!!!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:24 am

Losing Earl for the season and possibly for his career is a huge downer on an otherwise exhilarating evening of Seahawk football. I would have rather kept Earl healthy and lost the game.

Rawls looked fantastic, the best he's played all season. He played well last weekend and took it to a different level this weekend. And Russell is completely back, no evidence whatsoever of the injuries that have been dogging him for the first half of the season. And the night would not be complete without Michael Bennett lining up offsides. I can't understand how a man so cerebral can't learn where to line up. I could see him from my living room chair.

I still have major reservations about our OL, but we seemed to do a good job mitigating that weakness in this game. And having Rawls running behind them makes their jobs so much easier.

Zorny is exactly right. What we saw last night wasn't anything close to the 2015 Carolina Panthers that beat us twice last season. They were without a doubt the worst team we've faced this season. They were completely unprepared, both offensively and defensively. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd be worried that Rivera is in danger of losing this team. The benching of Newton for a dress code violation was bizarre and must have had an adverse effect on their morale. That's not the type of competition we can expect to see in the playoffs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 am

I don't think we have to wait for the playoffs to see a better team. Next week in the Frozen Tundra (high of 30, snow flurries in the 7 day forecast) we meet a team that is in desperation mode, playing for their season. And against a QB who is still one of the top 3 in the NFL. We may need to win out to hold onto the #2. We're only 1/2 game ahead of the Lions.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 am

So incredibly happy that we finally got to see good Rawls... Absolutely different offense with an explosive Rawls. Hopefully he can do it regularly, and the hit to the head isn't a major concussion.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:41 am

More bummed about losing Earl than happy about the win, but there is nothing for it but to wish Earl all the best and get ready for next week and the rest of the year without him.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 am

King5 reported last night he has a cracked tibia in his leg.
If I'm not mistaken it's the smaller of the 2 bones in the lower leg.
Pete said it's usually 6 weeks for healing.

If we make it to the final, ET might have a chance to play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:27 am

Tibia is the larger of the two. Six weeks minimum to heal would put him right on our first playoff game at best.

I guess it depends on the type of fracture whether it will require more than 6wks to mend.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Everything I've read says Fibula 6 weeks, tibia 6 months....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 pm

burrrton wrote:Tibia is the larger of the two. Six weeks minimum to heal would put him right on our first playoff game at best.

I guess it depends on the type of fracture whether it will require more than 6wks to mend.

My mistake. Thanks for the correction.
I'm not sure the difference between a crack and a break in regards to being game ready.
If the leg is immobile during the healing process, there will be a lot of rehab just to get the muscles back in shape, but pro athletes get the best treatment available today.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Hawkstar wrote:ETs loss definitely overshadows the W. It sucks and I hope ET has a quick recovery.

A lot of positives on O. Rawls and Lockett were terrific. The oline had moments of being a really good unit. RW was whirling around and making plays.

Doesn't look like we'll get ET back, be perhaps a Prosise and functioning O will give the ET-less D a breather.

I don't think Prosise will see the field the rest of the year...maybe playoffs at best.

Losing Earl creates a pretty big liability in our backfield...he makes up for a lot of the way our corners play (aggressively)
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Judging by Earl's reaction, ie considering retirement, I'd be very surprised if we see him back on the field this season. I can't imagine him having such an emotional reaction on a 6 week injury.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 pm

RiverDog wrote:Judging by Earl's reaction, ie considering retirement, I'd be very surprised if we see him back on the field this season. I can't imagine him having such an emotional reaction on a 6 week injury.

I'm sure it is very frustrating considering he just missed his first game last week only to get hurt for the rest of the regular season at best.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 pm

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00522

4-6 months. His season is over. ( Barring the X-rays being wrong, and no break occurring).

It sucks, but it's part of the game. Hopefully, he's on the sidelines coaching up Terrell, and makes a full and speedy recovery and is ready for next season, and it doesn't linger into the year...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:01 pm

Well I just made it home from the annual pilgrimage my childhood buddy and I make to the Clink.I have no money, no voice and considerable less brain cells.
First it sucks about ET obviously and I wouldn't assume he isn't seriously considering retiring. Hes an undersized safety that hits like a missile. On the plus side Terrell is playing better all the time, hes had quite a bit of time on the field now. Our defense has so many stars we can adjust.

For a blowout the game almost seemed workmanlike. The Hawks probably should have scored another 10-17 points. If the game against the Pats was cathartic in beginning to heal the wounds from 49 this was similar.

Carolina took away what was Seattle's which was the NFC conference and gutted Seattle last year in our building.A dying animal came in here last night and Seattle showed no mercy, exactly what a good team does.
Back to the cellar Carolina..BWWWAAAAAAA. They are quitting, rolling it up. Their defensive leader is hurt and their offensive leader is a moron.

Rawls, Lockette, Wilson, Graham, Baldwin etc.The line....Very awesome. Good Darrell showed up.

I feel a lot better about going up to Green Bay than I did 24 hrs ago.
FUN FUN NIGHT.GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:09 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Everything I've read says Fibula 6 weeks, tibia 6 months....

That might be right, tibia being the weightbearing bone and all...

And yeah, that's just mending time- getting back in game shape is another story.

[edit]

4-6 months. His season is over. ( Barring the X-rays being wrong, and no break occurring).

Ayup.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:57 pm

\

Are you guys sure Burry? its just a crack, not a break. I say 6 weeks to 2 months. He's back in time for the SB. I know my degree is in PS, not Orthopedics!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:30 pm

obiken wrote:Are you guys sure Burry? its just a crack, not a break. I say 6 weeks to 2 months. He's back in time for the SB. I know my degree is in PS, not Orthopedics!

Pete confirmed it this morning, Obi. Earl's season is over.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ken-tibia/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:02 pm

In the heat of the moment, I can see where Thomas would consider retirement. But the guy is too much of a Warrior to go out like this. Big hit defensively, obviously, and we're gonna rely on getting even more pressure up front, which saw zero sacks yesterday, but some decent pressure overall.

Steven Terrell, step right up. It's your turn.

We're gonna be OK.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:35 pm

They're now saying fractured and not cracked.
I think we will see him next year and it was frustration talking.

We have to face the fact our core is getting older and injuries do occur.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:38 am

Pete confirmed it this morning, Obi. Earl's season is over.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ken-tibia/

Tell Human that NOW I'm worried. You cannot lose your best defensive player and "just" be OK.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:07 am

obiken wrote:Tell Human that NOW I'm worried. You cannot lose your best defensive player and "just" be OK.

It's not the end of the world. A safety is easier to replace than a quarterback or a stud DL like Michael Bennett. What worries me is their communication and Earl's subtle knowledge of his partners in the secondary. It took all of one play to expose that weakness when he went down.

We'll have to wait and see. Obviously we're a lot stronger team with Earl than without, but this defense is organic in that it seems to heal thyself. It bears mentioning that after that one play following Earl's departure (not even halfway through the 2nd quarter) that we completely shut down the Panthers. At least as far as the next 4 games and the playoffs are concerned, I'm more worried about our offensive line performing consistently than I am losing Earl. That's what will make the difference between our being contenders or pretenders.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Hope your Right River, I wasn't throwing in the towel but its the playoffs I worry about. ET makes plays, in the playoffs. Moreover, Sherm's injury sounds like a nagger as well. BTW I still like our backup, he is trade material if he is as good as I think.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 pm

ET is special, but he isn't the only one out there that is. No reason to panic prior to seeing the way the defense plays without him...

Hell, the Panthers took a shot on a cold player on the next play, and despite it not actually being a TD, that was it... Nada, zilch, bupkis after... In fact, Terrell picked off a pass that was waved off do to some ticky tack BS PI call.. Terrell had played extremely well when called apon, I'm willing to at least watch for a couple games before losing it.

Would I prefer Thomas? Of course I would, but that doesn't mean that this defense or team can't still reach the ultimate goal.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:44 pm

Would I prefer Thomas? Of course I would, but that doesn't mean that this defense or team can't still reach the ultimate goal.

That's my feeling, too, and the same pattern (early breakdown, nothing after) largely held when he was in for ET against Tampa. Two quick TDs, then largely held his own (despite the D not being able to get the field flipped back).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Jjones84 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:30 am

One positive is that Terrell runs a faster 40 time than Earl. He won't hit like Earl, but who will. That stuff makes Earl Hof worthy, but isn't a must have quality to be successful. Just as long as he holds up in coverage and brings the guy down, he will be alright. Plenty of successful DB's are kind of finness players, prime time to name a very successful one. I missed the TD the kitties threw after Thomas went out. Was it even Terrell's breakdown in coverage? Someone brought up the two TDs at Tampa, then he tightened up. But one of those TDs had nothing to do with Terrell. It was sherm on Evans. And I don't know that the other TD was his fault either. I don't think the d will suffer too much. Not to take away from Earl, but I have a good feeling about this kid. The kind I had about Byron and ahead before they broke out. But, I am no expert. I don't break down the film like a lot of you do. Just kind of a gut feeling.
Jjones84
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 am

I think it is safe to say he's no Etric Pruitt. The defensive cast and coaching staff mean Terrell will be ready and productive, and, no matter who is back there, the offense needs to do its job and score points.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:31 am

Terrell will be OK. hes not Earl but hes not bad and he tackles too.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Jjones84 wrote:One positive is that Terrell runs a faster 40 time than Earl. He won't hit like Earl, but who will. That stuff makes Earl Hof worthy, but isn't a must have quality to be successful. Just as long as he holds up in coverage and brings the guy down, he will be alright. Plenty of successful DB's are kind of finness players, prime time to name a very successful one. I missed the TD the kitties threw after Thomas went out. Was it even Terrell's breakdown in coverage? Someone brought up the two TDs at Tampa, then he tightened up. But one of those TDs had nothing to do with Terrell. It was sherm on Evans. And I don't know that the other TD was his fault either. I don't think the d will suffer too much. Not to take away from Earl, but I have a good feeling about this kid. The kind I had about Byron and ahead before they broke out. But, I am no expert. I don't break down the film like a lot of you do. Just kind of a gut feeling.

I'm not too worried about replacing Earl's physical ability. One of the dirty little secrets about Earl is that he is not one of the world's greatest tacklers and has whiffed against even the easiest players to tackle (like Jay Cutler). His value is his sideline-to-sideline coverage and his football instincts, which are second to none, and yes, he does get his fare share of snot knockers like he did against Gronk.

What we will miss most is his communication and game awareness that only experience can teach. Let's just hope that Terrell's lessons aren't too expensive.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm not too worried about replacing Earl's physical ability. His value is his sideline-to-sideline coverage and his football instincts, which are second to none, and yes, he does get his fare share of snot knockers like he did against Gronk.

What we will miss most is his communication and game awareness that only experience can teach.

Yep. Nobody breaks on a route faster than ETIII. It's amazing how often you'll find him start his b-line sprint to where the ball is going before anyone else on the defense. That is even more important than speed. If Usain Bolt were patrolling the single high deep FS spot but the QB could look him off every time, he wouldn't make a practice squad. QBs avoid deep passes against Earl because they can't predict when he's going to jump the route no matter how much they try to fool him, not because of his speed.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Oly wrote:QBs avoid deep passes against Earl because they can't predict when he's going to jump the route no matter how much they try to fool him, not because of his speed.

That's a great point. I think that we're all aware of how our defense for years has the fewest passing plays of 20+ (or whatever the threshold is) yards against us, and a huge part of it is Earl's play. I don't expect teams to suddenly alter their game plans to include more long passes because Earl is out because they are relatively low percentage and we do have a solid pass rush, but it does demonstrate one of the big reasons as to why we have had the league's best points defense.

The Green Bay game will be a good test of our new Earl-less defense. There's no smarter QB in the league than Aaron Rodgers and if anybody knows how to take advantage of a weakness, it's him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:47 pm

No matter how much we try to convince ourselves that we'll be fine without him we will not be as good a defensive team without Earl. We just won't.

The hope is obviously that the drop off will not be precipitous, and I think that as Terrell settles in and the rest of the defense adjusts to new dynamic we'll still be a top defense ... it's this first game without him I worry most about.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Jjones84 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 pm

You assume Terrell doesn't have good instincts to go with his speed. And, the first game without Earl has gone and past. Like I said, not saying he is as good as Earl, but has the opportunity to be a great player in his own regard.
Jjones84
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:12 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:No matter how much we try to convince ourselves that we'll be fine without him we will not be as good a defensive team without Earl. We just won't.

The hope is obviously that the drop off will not be precipitous, and I think that as Terrell settles in and the rest of the defense adjusts to new dynamic we'll still be a top defense ... it's this first game without him I worry most about.

That is it in a nutshell CB!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Jjones84 wrote:You assume Terrell doesn't have good instincts to go with his speed. And, the first game without Earl has gone and past. Like I said, not saying he is as good as Earl, but has the opportunity to be a great player in his own regard.

No, we're assuming he doesn't have Earl-level instincts. And just by virtue of being a non-cyborg human being, he doesn't, so it's not a knock on him to say he's not Earl. Hell, I'd bet good money his own freaking mother would even admit he's not in Earl's ballpark.

That said, I am excited to see what he can do, and think he might be very good.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Jjones84 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 pm

I have a bold prediction. Not only is Terrell going to play good against the packers, he will play good throughout. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an interception, or a timely big play this weekend. If this happens, you watch and see, the narrative will switch to "should we get rid of earl?" "We can save a lot of money, and beef up the o line if we get rid of earl."

I also love them bringing back jeron Johnson. Sounds like Reece looked to be in good shape too. PC mentioned how he hasn't lost a step.
Jjones84
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am

Earl had had 2 contracts with guarantees of $61 million, so he may look at others around the league, maybe even to Ricardo Lockette and be seriously considering retirement.
He clearly doesn't need the money and seems to be an intelligent guy, so who knows?
I hope he tells the coaching staff his plans before the draft - even if he decides to play out his contract and retire then as this year looks to be a bumper crop of Safeties with some having similar physical qualities of Earl.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum