McAvoy over Kearse?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

McAvoy over Kearse?

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Just read an article of Fieldgulls about Tanner McAvoy advocating he start over Jermaine Kearse. Kearse is the vet, but McAvoy has done more with fewer opportunities this season, and 6'-6" looks a lot better in the red zone. Kearse just doesn't seem to have it this year. I say give Tanner more opportunities in this last stretch to see what you've got. I would love it if he became Jurevicius 2.0 (circa 2005).
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Re: McAvoy over Kearse?

Postby Hawkstar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:03 pm

I'd love to see McAvoy play more.

We commented in other threads about the number of targets going to Kearse this season. I for one would much prefer those balls going to Jimmy, BD or Lockett. I haven't researched the numbers, but it feels like Kearse has quite a few more drops this season as well.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Yes. Please.
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm always a sentimental guy about players, but Kearse has obviously been struggling this year- maybe give Tanner a chance.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:03 pm

This is coming from somebody who never really has been a kearse fan. I was really hoping he would sign elsewhere this offseason. He does make tough catches and has made huge plays but takes targets away from guys who can do something when they get their hands on the ball. With that being said I think this is a no-brainer from the fans perspective as McAvoy couldn't be any worse than Kearse. From a coaching perspective you like to give the guy whose made so many plays for you, is an excellent teammate, and a very good run blocker the start and hope he turns it around. As the game goes on you start to give McAvoy some of kearse's chances and I think we have already started to see that a little bit. Hopefully that continues.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:44 am

Nobody has a book on McAvoy yet. There's not much film to study him on.
As he plays more, he will become less effective over time.
So do we play him more now or wait until the playoffs where he becomes a wild card?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:46 am

Kearse has given us a lot of thrills over the past couple of seasons..the unbelievable catch he made in SB49, the OT catch that won the SB for us just to name a couple. But he's dropped too many key passes, and doesn't seem to fight for contested balls like a good receiver should.

I'm certainly not opposed to giving Mac more playing time at Kearse's expense. He's the weak link in our receiving corps.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm

I just saw that Michael Floyd was released by the Cards following his DUI arrest on Monday. He's a beast. 6'3" - 4.4 guy... he must have had some other issues going on, or the arrest was more than a run of the mill DUI. The Cards went all in with a veteran filled roster this season. Given how this year has gone, I'm surprised to see them punt on a young talent.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/ari ... -cardinals
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Floyd has been a big disappointment this year, but I hear you he is intriguing if, and it's a big if at this point, he has no other issues around the DUI.
I suspect (and it's only my feeling which is as dependable as the "eye test") that there are other things going on as he has dropped a number of catchable passes this season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:23 pm

Floyd was on the way out before the dUI. He was underperforming this year and set to be an UFA. No way do I want seattle wasting time and money on an underachieving guy who was so blotto he was sleeping in the middle of an intersection.
Sounds like another cannabis Koren to me.

I like the McAvoy kid. The Kearse thing is weird. Russ trusts him and I would assume the balls going to him are a result of Russ reading the field and deciding its his best option. Either way the results are kind of like Seattle in general the last couple of months. Either really good or really bad.

Something needs to change with our passing offense.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Jjones84 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:29 am

McEvoy could be one of the bigger mismatches on the field. I have been all in on him since before they drafted him. There isn't a linebacker, and very few safeties that can match up with 6'7". It's time they start utilizing said mismatches.

Btw, that may just have been the loss that propels this team. It usually happens earlier in the year, but I think they will come out swinging tonight. That's the thing about football, a few bad plays, and your down 21 -3. It happens. I'm a numbers guy, and to me, that loss resets the odds. Every year, only a few teams win say six or seven games in a row. Once you win that many in a row, the numbers really start working against you. I kind of always secretly hope they lose one of their last games. It's why so few teams win the sb from the wild card spot. It is hard to win that many games.
Jjones84
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:11 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Floyd has been a big disappointment this year, but I hear you he is intriguing if, and it's a big if at this point, he has no other issues around the DUI.
I suspect (and it's only my feeling which is as dependable as the "eye test") that there are other things going on as he has dropped a number of catchable passes this season.

Looks like Floyd was claimed by the Patriots. What a steal for the Pats.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum