Who saw this coming 2 years ago when we still had Flynn?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Postby I-5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:45 am

I remember calling it the day Pete gave Wilson the starting job. I turned to my long-time buddy from college, and flat out said 'wilson is going to lead the Hawks to the Superbowl within the next 2 years'. He just totally exuded the kind of confidence, smarts, and leadership even as a 3rd string rookie in preseason, I was sold from there. I'm not ready to predict what will happen against the Broncos yet, but I expect Russell to play well there, too. GO HAWKS!
I-5
Legacy

Re: Who saw this coming 2 years ago when we still had Flynn?

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:03 am

You must mean after we had signed Flynn and had just drafted Wilson before TC. I gave up on Flynn when he lost the starting job to Wilson at the end of TC last season. I was sold on Wilson after the first quarter of the season and was calling for Pete to open up the play book more to RW because it was apparent that was quick on the uptake and could handle more. Then, after the Chicago game Pete did open it up for Wilson, it was right around that time I had a pretty good idea that the Super Bowl was in reach sooner and not later. I thought we should have been in it last year after we should have defeated Atlanta. I was convinced we would have gone into SF in the NFC Championship game and won it last year. I believe we had the horses to beat the Ravens last year too.

But, no, at the very beginning of last season I had no idea we would get to the SB this fast. But it didn't take long to see the possibilities.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:48 am

I thought that we were the best team in the NFC last season and fully expected to go to the Super Bowl this season. As a matter of fact, I don't think we are quite as good this season as we were last year, the main difference being the absence of Sidney Rice, our only big WR, and I think our OL has regressed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:03 am

River, I think we are a WAY better team than last season. Last year's team would have given up the game-winning TD against the Niners final drive for sure. Do you not think so? And I don't think the O-line has regressed, on the contrary they have found 2 new contributors and lost Moffit. I'd say the O-line has evolved and needs to continue to evolve. Although I do agree we miss Sydney. At least we've got Baldwin back to his rookie levels.

Back to the original post, I did mean the week right before Week 1 when Carroll named Wilson the starter.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:50 am

I actually was a Flynn backer when we signed him. I truly believed he had what it took to be a franchise QB, and considered Wilson little more than a project, at best.

Obviously, once he show cased what he was about during the preseason, it was clear that RW had won Pete's competition, and the rest is history.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:38 am

I-5 wrote:I remember calling it the day Pete gave Wilson the starting job. I turned to my long-time buddy from college, and flat out said 'wilson is going to lead the Hawks to the Superbowl within the next 2 years'. He just totally exuded the kind of confidence, smarts, and leadership even as a 3rd string rookie in preseason, I was sold from there. I'm not ready to predict what will happen against the Broncos yet, but I expect Russell to play well there, too. GO HAWKS!

Yep, I was saying that we weren't going ANYWHERE until we got a real franchise QB, and I was saying that after we got Flynn.
After seeing Wilson in training camp later, I knew we'd finally gotten the final piece and I started telling everyone who would listen that Wilson would win the job (or at least should if Pete really believed in competition). It was just a couple regular season games in when I told my brother, "He WILL take us to multiple Superbowls before his career is over!"
monkey
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 am

Honestly, it wasn't until the Chicago game that I started believing we had a good shot at going to the S.B. As far as this year versus last year, our D is playing better but our O is not as good as it was late last year. There is just no comparisson. we were throwing 50 burgers around like they were fish at Pike's Place.

Had the D held on that final drive in Atlanta, I think we would have gotten our first Trophey last year. I think we get it this year though.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 am

I thought it would be a 5 year wait until we even got close enough to compete for a championship.
I thought then that Wilson would (and should) spend a year on the bench charting plays, but it really worked out.
PCs trust in playing younger guys has paid off handsomely as it also helps keep the cap in check.

Now let's see them concentrate on making the Offense as dominant as the Defense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:01 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I thought it would be a 5 year wait until we even got close enough to compete for a championship.
I thought then that Wilson would (and should) spend a year on the bench charting plays, but it really worked out.
PCs trust in playing younger guys has paid off handsomely as it also helps keep the cap in check.

Now let's see them concentrate on making the Offense as dominant as the Defense.

My personal expectation was playoffs in 3 years (IMO first year didn't count) and SB in 5. Turns out the playoff expectation was right on the money and the SB a year ahead.

I, too, thought Wilson should ride the pine for a year. Boy, was I wrong on that one.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:29 pm

If your going to take the time to say the O was better last year, you might want to look at the Defenses they played this year. That said, last years film also gave them something to study for. Also don't forget all of the O line injury's this year.

In my opinion Bevelle is the one who has taken a step back this year.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Cant complain at all. I never heard of Wilson until he was drafted and had pretty much assumed we had hired Flynn to be the QB. Then I heard Carroll say of Flynn "he doesn't have his checkbook on the field" and I said Hmmmmm. I give Carroll mass credit he has brass balls. Its been a perfect storm. Yeah Seattle hast had the 50 pointers but here we are and let me tell you something. Seattle hasn't seen Denver but they haven't seen Seattle either. Wilson is due to go off. Harvin is the stealth bomber with no film whatsoever and we have the D to handle all those receivers. We might just beat their ass like 41-24
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:31 am

I did not see much of RW during the preseason. I was content that Flynn was our qb. But when announcement was made. I looked at everything I could on RW on tape and I knew immediately it was the right decision based on what I saw of him in college and afterwards.
After his first game I felt even better about the decision. What struck me the most? His poise. His intelligence. His ability to protect the ball when he was allowed to pass the ball and his accuracy.

Those are signs of a franchise qb.

Thank god for us.

Of course Flynn didn't mind because the dude is a multimillionaire. Where is he now by the way?

Just a great sequence of events.
But SB? I saw it this year for sure. Last year I saw us only getting to the NFC Championship game.
Early, I know, but our defense has been real potent these last two years and this year lights out!
Last edited by Eaglehawk on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:12 am

Distant Relative wrote:If your going to take the time to say the O was better last year, you might want to look at the Defenses they played this year. That said, last years film also gave them something to study for. Also don't forget all of the O line injury's this year.

Good point, we have been going up against some great Defenses these past few weeks. I thought other than the odd-ball mistakes, Wilson was passing in the NFFCCG better than he has lately, more accurate and taking chances that paid off. We will need that for the SB. I also like our running game as of late. During the Championship game, they kept making the point about the Niners not giving up a 100 yard rusher in forever, but they failed to mention Marshawn had 98 yards against them before being pulled because we were blowing them out in week 2.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby XpertDBA » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:24 am

They did mention Marshawn's 98 yard day......Aikman said it.
XpertDBA
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:32 am

Also interesting is that in (I think) the last 2 years, the 49ers have allowed only 6 individual rushing games over 100 yards... and Marshawn has had 4 of them.

The bell tolls for thee, Broncos...
burrrton
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I give Carroll mass credit he has brass balls.

According to Carroll, it didn't take any courage at all to make the decision to start Russell. He said it was the easiest no-brainer ever.
I-5
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 pm

XpertDBA wrote:They did mention Marshawn's 98 yard day......Aikman said it.

I know he mentioned, just not the part where Lynch was pulled early or would otherwise have broken the century mark again.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:10 pm

PasadenaHawk wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:If your going to take the time to say the O was better last year, you might want to look at the Defenses they played this year. That said, last years film also gave them something to study for. Also don't forget all of the O line injury's this year.

Good point, we have been going up against some great Defenses these past few weeks. I thought other than the odd-ball mistakes, Wilson was passing in the NFFCCG better than he has lately, more accurate and taking chances that paid off. We will need that for the SB. I also like our running game as of late. During the Championship game, they kept making the point about the Niners not giving up a 100 yard rusher in forever, but they failed to mention Marshawn had 98 yards against them before being pulled because we were blowing them out in week 2.

I agree that the defenses, particularly those in our division, have gotten better, which is one of the reasons why I feel that last year's team, relative to our competition, was a little better than this season's. We were a little more balanced last year, at least at the end of the season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Pain_Train » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:57 pm

I recall going into that offseason thinking that if TJack was our starting QB, I might have to boycott the season in protest. Then we signed Flynn, and I thought we might have something. Then, as we drafted Wilson, and I turned to my friend that I was watching the draft with and said, "Championship!"
Pain_Train
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Not because of Flynn, but once we landed Wilson, and after I saw him at TC, I did see this coming in fact.
It was just a matter of time once we landed our franchise QB.
monkey
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum