Do Pete and John pick for defense if so , CB ?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Do Pete and John pick for defense if so , CB ?

Postby politicalfootball » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:18 am

Both Pete and John pick for defense first and I would like to see a new CB to pair with Sherman. There will be plenty of CB who are a diamond in the rough we just have to find them. Someone who put up good numbers PD and INT who was on a soso team. You know Brady was a 7th round pick. I am interested in the draft this year our team is getting old and we need new life in it.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Re: Do Pete and John pick for defense if so , CB ?

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 am

At 26, most of the top Offensive players will be off the board (OT, RB, WR), and there is a lot of Defensive talent in this draft so it would seem Defense has a better than 50/50 chance for us.
A lot depends on the combine and how players perform for who might fall and who might rise in teams eyes.
We haven't spent high picks at CB and with the exception of ET, Safety hasn't been selected high either.
This year might be different, though with some really good Secondary players that should be available and some pretty good Linebackers and Edge rushers.
Depending on how John and Pete see the tiers of players, they might trade down, but if someone unexpectedly falls they might just have to make the selection.
I've seen a couple of mocks with Dalvin Cook (RB Florida State) going to the Chiefs at 27. If he's available at 26, it might tempt them to stay put.
I think there will be a lot of good players to choose from this year for the first 4 rounds at least.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:10 pm

If not CB on defense, then pass rushing DT, Kam replacement, or LEO. The Hawks suffered from lack of DT pass rush and the scheme seemed to suffer by going back to a more traditional 4-3 when Irvin couldn't be replaced. And we've all seen how Kam's body is breaking down.

That said, I would prefer offense, particularly OT. We'll see.

~~~

On a somewhat different note, am I the only one who has basically quit paying attention to the draft in the JS/PC era? They never choose who I think they will so that takes the fun out of prognosticating, and they're right more often than not, which takes the fun out of second-guessing. I just wait until after the draft and then read up on the newbies.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:40 pm

On a somewhat different note, am I the only one who has basically quit paying attention to the draft in the JS/PC era?

Nope, not at all. It makes it even more of a challenge to figure out what they are going to do even though I'm usually wrong.
Some of the posters have called it correctly, but most of us are way off base. As well, like said above it really depends on how the draft falls as to who might even be available.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:32 am

Oly wrote:On a somewhat different note, am I the only one who has basically quit paying attention to the draft in the JS/PC era? They never choose who I think they will so that takes the fun out of prognosticating, and they're right more often than not, which takes the fun out of second-guessing. I just wait until after the draft and then read up on the newbies.

That's me. I've never been a draft junkie. It's more of a passing interest rather than a fascination as it is for others. I'll start paying attention about two weeks ahead of the draft.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:54 am

Its me as well, especially after the first round.I had basically never heard of Russell Wilson before he was drafted as an example. Clueless with a Capital C. That's why I have you guys to get me up to speed.....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Its me as well, especially after the first round.I had basically never heard of Russell Wilson before he was drafted as an example. Clueless with a Capital C. That's why I have you guys to get me up to speed.....

What I think we should do and what Pete and John are going to do are two vastly different things. I think we go for the best OLineman available, but if even you find the next WJones, you are looking at 2 years. I think P and J will go for a DB. We have RS and his tude hanging out there, and the contract of Kam Chancellor on the horizon. I think if we just float with the OL that we have now, and say they will get that much better next year over this year, we are doomed. Oh we might make the playoffs, so what, the Lions made the playoffs. FA is a going to be like a dead rabbit in the desert being picked over by 32 Vultures. The only other option is a trade.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:13 pm

With contracts becoming guaranteed for this year during the last few days according to their contracts, there might be some some players who become FA's when teams decide not to pay or if they are in Cap hell.
Victor Cruze, Rashad Jennings and maybe even TJ Lang if they don't re-sign him before FA are 3 players. Cruze and Jennings are just examples and we don't need them, but Lang is a starting Guard who might be of interest if the price is right and he still has tread left.
This is just the start, and there will be some possible OL help in FA.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:48 pm

A trade is an excellent idea we are deep at certain positions and all we want is some OL help.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:17 pm

politicalfootball wrote:A trade is an excellent idea we are deep at certain positions and all we want is some OL help.

OL isn't the only thing.
Pete said (amongst other things) they would be looking at LB upgrades behind Wags and KJ as they played almost every snap something like 98% and they got worn down. They can't do that every year or their production will fall off early. He also mentioned CB opposite Sherm then OL. I don't know if he stated it in order of importance, but it might be a reality.
We could also use a penetrating Defensive Lineman in the middle - someone to play the Tony McDaniel role and get maybe 5 or 6 sacks.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum