Possible Quarterback Trades

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Possible Quarterback Trades

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:48 am

The Browns got a QB.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 am

politicalfootball wrote:The Browns got a QB.

Yup, and a couple of draft choices along with a huge debt. But they were one of the few teams that can afford that kind of money for a quarterback that lost his starting job due to poor performance. And they have a huge amount of draft capital, with the #1, #12, #33, #52 this season and 4 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds in 2018. Expect more news out of Cleveland in the coming weeks.

Osweiller to the Browns is the opening salvo in what should be an interesting few weeks for quarterbacks. Next up is the Bears releasing Cutler and signing Mike Glennon. The Osweiller trade clears the way for Romo to come to Texas, but now Jerrah is wanting something in return. Now that the Bears appear to be focused on Glennon, Kaepernick is taking a knee, this time waiting for the phone to ring. Cousins asked Moonbat Snyder for a trade, with the Niners and his buddy Shanny a waiting dance partner.

And you thought that March Madness was a basketball tournament!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 am

Old but Slow wrote:Good post, River. Getting out from under the crippling contract with Osweiler is a huge coup, and finding a Cleveland willing to do the deal is amazing. Add Romo and you are looking at a much more threatening team, with a good defense already in place.

Yea, that was as weird of a situation as I've seen. Houston takes a huge gamble on an unproven quarterback then when he fails, they actually trade picks to another team to take him and his contract. I've never seen a situation anywhere similar.

But getting Romo might not be so easy for Houston. JJ wants something for Romo, and the Texans just got through giving up two draft picks to unload Osweiller. Do they trade even more picks to land Romo?

Strange offseason so far.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 am

This looks like a reasonable gamble for Cleveland.
They get an extra 2nd round pick in 2018 and swap 4th and 6th round picks for taking on $16 million debt.
They might even be able to trade him next year (if he's willing to renegotiate his current contract) to some team that is left desperate for a QB if they draft one this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 am

I'm hearing that Osweiler's release is eminent. It was a deal done to stock-pile draft picks and spend down their cap. Since it is illegal to pay cash for picks, they "laundered" the picks via the unloading of Brock. When the deal 1st came out, I kept looking for what Houston got. Duh! They got out of a dumb-ass contract. I'm surprised it's legal.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I'm hearing that Osweiler's release is eminent. It was a deal done to stock-pile draft picks and spend down their cap. Since it is illegal to pay cash for picks, they "laundered" the picks via the unloading of Brock. When the deal 1st came out, I kept looking for what Houston got. Duh! They got out of a dumb-ass contract. I'm surprised it's legal.

Interesting take on it, Sis.
Does the lawyering ever end?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:17 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I'm hearing that Osweiler's release is eminent. It was a deal done to stock-pile draft picks and spend down their cap. Since it is illegal to pay cash for picks, they "laundered" the picks via the unloading of Brock. When the deal 1st came out, I kept looking for what Houston got. Duh! They got out of a dumb-ass contract. I'm surprised it's legal.

Osweiler signed a 4 year, $72M contract with $37M guaranteed. The Texans paid him $12M last year, leaving $25M that someone would be on the hook for.

The Browns might ship him to someone like Buffalo and pay a portion of the contract, say $13M, and still be on the hook for the balance of $12M. That would do what you're saying, which is in effect that the Browns paid $12M for the 2nd and 6th round draft choices that Houston gave them to take the contract off their hands.

I can't see what cutting him would achieve for the Browns. Someone would bring him in for at least a couple $M. Heck, for that much, the Broncos could bring him back as a backup. Wouldn't that be bizarre?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:33 am

More QB drama unfolding. Cousins signed his tender, opening the door for a trade, but Moonbat Snyder might hold it up due to bad blood between him and new 49'ers HC Kyle Shanahan. The Browns released RG3, the Bills signed Tyrod Taylor to a restructured contract, and Tony Romo might be considering retirement.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:31 am

The Browns might ship him to someone like Buffalo and pay a portion of the contract, say $13M, and still be on the hook for the balance of $12M. That would do what you're saying, which is in effect that the Browns paid $12M for the 2nd and 6th round draft choices that Houston gave them to take the contract off their hands.

Sharing the bad debt load. Almost sounds like derivatives.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 am

RiverDog wrote:More QB drama unfolding. Cousins signed his tender, opening the door for a trade, but Moonbat Snyder might hold it up due to bad blood between him and new 49'ers HC Kyle Shanahan. The Browns released RG3, the Bills signed Tyrod Taylor to a restructured contract, and Tony Romo might be considering retirement.

I read Cousins won't sign a long term deal so if they want to keep him they have to pay the full 2nd year tender amount or trade him. Wont' he become a FA next year?
It seems like Cousins is in a good financial place at the moment. He played the contract game pretty well so far.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 am

NorthHawk wrote:I read Cousins won't sign a long term deal so if they want to keep him they have to pay the full 2nd year tender amount or trade him. Wont' he become a FA next year?
It seems like Cousins is in a good financial place at the moment. He played the contract game pretty well so far.

Yes, unless he signs a long term deal with the Skins, Cousins is a FA.

Consider the dilemma Washington is in now. If Cousins truly is unhappy and wants out, what sense is there in paying a disgruntled quarterback $24M then have him leave the following year and not get squat in return then find themselves back in the quarterback market?

If there's one person on your team that you don't want brooding or unhappy, it's the starting quarterback.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum