Seahawks Awarded Two Third-Round Compensatory Draft Picks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seahawks Awarded Two Third-Round Compensatory Draft Picks

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:54 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Seahawks Awarded Two Third-Round Compensatory Draft Pick

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:22 pm

102 and 106. Wow.
With a lot of talent before and into the 4th round, they might be pretty valuable even if they want to trade up.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 pm

If we can't parlay those picks into a decent OL either in the draft or via some type of trade.....
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:32 am

In this draft we might be able to get 5 starting quality players in the first 3 rounds.
After that everything is gravy.
I think the question that would come to mind is do you trade down for mid round picks or take the players early?
I would take the players early as we need quality instead of quantity then hope someone we have a higher grade on is there in the 6th.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:08 pm

NorthHawk wrote:In this draft we might be able to get 5 starting quality players in the first 3 rounds.
After that everything is gravy.
I think the question that would come to mind is do you trade down for mid round picks or take the players early?
I would take the players early as we need quality instead of quantity then hope someone we have a higher grade on is there in the 6th.

I'd be surprised if we use all 5 of those picks, especially since this year the compensatory picks can be traded. Since it's not a real deep draft for OT's, it might be wise to package some of those picks in a trade to move up if we have the opportunity to get a solid player.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Depending on who they think is a value, lots of movement is possible.
Maybe trade down one of them and get another 2nd or 3rd next year is also an option.
Lots of doors have opened up with these 2 extra 3rd round picks in a relatively deep draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Old but Slow wrote:Sweet! Instead of losing a 2d, we gain 2 thirds. Five picks in the first 3 rounds in a stocked draft. Amazing.

LOL, yeah, suck on that haters! :lol:
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 am

Draft lives matter:)

We'll see what we end up doing, but I imagine trading at least one of comp pics to move back. We pretty much always do.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:21 am

Zorn76 wrote:Draft lives matter:)

We'll see what we end up doing, but I imagine trading at least one of comp pics to move back. We pretty much always do.

We do have a big gap in the middle of the draft as we don't have a single pick in Rounds 4 and 5, so after #106 we don't select again until #210, and teams usually don't like to be in that kind of position as if a good player starts to fall, they aren't in position to snap them up. Plus we have 3 picks within 17 slots of each other (#'s 90, 102 and 106), and the odds of three players falling so close together on a value chart all being there are pretty slim.

That's where the new rule change allowing teams to trade compensatory picks might be a bigger factor for us than it is for other teams. That doesn't bode well for the grassy knoll crowd that's constantly coming up with theories about the league or Goodell being out to get us.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:22 am

We might be better served to move up this year. Read an article yesterday that put a significant drop in talent level at 70, saying that there are 70 players worthy of top 50 ranking.

O course, with 3 tradable thirds we could do both; packaging 2 to move to the top of the third/bottom of the second and the other to trade back into the fourth and fifth.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:36 am

It's possible that at 70 there is a significant drop, many rankings are very different, but I think it depends on what team is viewing it the list.
Cleveland and SF with more holes to fill or new coaching staffs may see it differently than us or the Pats. The worst teams might see the dropoff at 120 whereas we might see it at 60.
We'll just never know how teams look at and evaluate the talent and like all years deep and shallow, there are players that can contribute immediately to be found in mid rounds to Undrafted Free Agency.
It just takes a little luck and good scouting to find them as they are fewer and farther between.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum