What do you know? 2 Former Super Bowl OT's are Available.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

What do you know? 2 Former Super Bowl OT's are Available.

Postby savvyman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:35 am

savvyman
Legacy

Re: What do you know? 2 Former Super Bowl OT's are Available

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 am

If healthy, Breno could help, but the last two years he has had back, shoulder, hip, and ankle injuries where he only played 5 games last year (back and shoulder injuries). I think he might be too beat up for us now.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Breno has not played well since leaving the Hawks and truthfully he wasn't great when he was here. There has to be a better option out there, although a vet minimum deal wouldn't be a big deal. I wouldn't mind bringing Okung back at an under $7 mil/yr deal. The problem, IMO is that our biggest need is RT (Gilliam was aweful last year). The team really likes Fant and might rather just roll with him at LT.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:16 pm

mykc14 wrote:Breno has not played well since leaving the Hawks and truthfully he wasn't great when he was here. There has to be a better option out there, although a vet minimum deal wouldn't be a big deal. I wouldn't mind bringing Okung back at an under $7 mil/yr deal. The problem, IMO is that our biggest need is RT (Gilliam was aweful last year). The team really likes Fant and might rather just roll with him at LT.

Breno was a very good run blocker, a real mauler, but he had his problems in pass protection. If he's healthy, I wouldn't mind bringing him in for some depth, but he's not the answer to our problems at RT.

I'd gladly bring back Okung if the price is right. Fant will get plenty of experience with Okung on the roster anyway.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Breno brought the nasty attitude which was a big part of the bully attitude our FO has been looking for since they let him leave. I think Okung will ask too much and they do want Fant to play so that should leave RT as where they are looking to improve the OL. 2 players mean more turnover which Pete said he doesn't want, however if he doesn't see improvements in OTAs, they might be more aggressive early.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Breno was nasty. He had to actually tone it down due to personal fouls. We haven't had anyone as good at RT or nasty since. If hes not crippled he would be an immediate upgrade at RT and likely cheap. Okung is a harder question.

I remain intrigued by Fant. He had some bad games but he had some really good games and hes a flipping BASKETBALL PLAYER with no experience playing the GAME of football, much less the cadillac position for a RH qb.
I want to see him with another training camp, some weight and conditioning work which I'm sure hes getting. He may yet be a visionary decision for Seattle, a mold breaker in much the same way as Antonio Gates was as a tight end.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Fant most definitely earned his shot to be the LT next year. The measurable, attitude, and mental acumen; hopefully he puts it all together.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Okung really has all the tools to play for us at LT. I am interested in him coming back for us I think he would really like to play in Seattle. He is still young and could be the answer there for many years. Let's do it.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:21 pm

Let's bring them back and then draft a CB with the 26 pick.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm

You might not be far off with CB at 26 or at least early as according to NFL Radio JS just said DeShawn Shead won't be ready for the start of the season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:25 pm

No idea why every one thinks we're suddenly gonna start drafting cornerbacks in the first round ... we don't draft corners (or other than Earl, DB's at all) before the fourth, and are you seriously gonna argue a greater need there than at tackle?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:50 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:No idea why every one thinks we're suddenly gonna start drafting cornerbacks in the first round ... we don't draft corners (or other than Earl, DB's at all) before the fourth, and are you seriously gonna argue a greater need there than at tackle?

I don't think there is any doubt that our biggest need is at T. Actually our two biggest needs are at T. I hope a starting caliber tackle either slips to us or falls far enough for us to trade up and take (I know that has been against our MO in the first round). With that being said I wouldn't be shocked if our #1 pick this year was a LB (actually that is where I would put my$ right now.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 pm

I think everyone would be on board if one of the top 2 OT's were there at 26, however that's probably not going to happen with every team looking for OLinemen.
With some expected seriously good talent with the top DB's there could be someone there that perfectly fits what PC sees as the prototype CB for his Defense. Factor in Petes seeming disappointment with Lane last year and Shead's injury and we might see a CB at 26. Imagine Sherman on one side and "Sherman light" on the other along with Kam and ET. It would be pretty tough to pass against that Defense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:41 am

c_hawkbob wrote:No idea why every one thinks we're suddenly gonna start drafting cornerbacks in the first round ... we don't draft corners (or other than Earl, DB's at all) before the fourth, and are you seriously gonna argue a greater need there than at tackle?

Well, not every one thinks we're drafting a cornerback in the first. I, for one, don't think we will.

But unless we trade one or more of those comp picks, IMO there's a good chance we burn one on a CB before the 4th this season as CB is a position of need.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:20 pm

I say we take both Okung and Breno back they are known quanties and we won't need to draft OT and can spend a pick on a RB or a TE who will really contribute to winning a game.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:10 pm

Both Geno and Okung know what they would be getting into with perhaps a SB ring too. I'm sure we can discuss things with them and have a n understanding they both played good for us and I know Pete Carroll is aware of them both being available.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:37 pm

I would like to see us pick up both Geno and Okung. Then we can pick a high octane WR for RW who gets open all the time we need one on 3rd downs. Or a RB who can pair with Rawls someone to make a difference in the game.

politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 pm

IMHO Okung is a must to get. I think he has good experience and is not injured as he was before with us. I like him he has good athleticism and will be even better than he is now.

As for Beno we might want him too we will see. I like Okung though and feel he is a must to get.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 am

Old but Slow wrote:More likely we will see one veteran free agent offensive lineman, and likely a mid round draft pick or two for depth. Mostly, it seems a good move to let the youngsters grow, and add a veteran presence to help with cohesion. We have some athletic and promising young players at the positions on the line, but not much experience. With that in mind, all of our starters from last year have a year of work to learn from, all will be better. That may not mean that they are a good line yet, but it should and likely will be better.

My guess is that we will sign a vet OL who is a good technician and a good communicator, in order that we can get extra impulse for the younger guys. The statements by JS this week about being too young on the line, and his indication that we would be looking at vets is encouraging to me. Not a complete overhaul, but a small change, maybe one position (RT), and that's it.

From my point of view, we have the makings of a strong OL, with good, athletic players who will develop with coaching and experience. With Gilliam or Fant as depth and an effective replacement, this unit should grow quickly.

We are not picking soon enough in the draft to expect a starting level WR or RB (or QB, of course), so we might look to a nickel corner, my choice would be Budda Baker, or a linebacker who can play the Leo or Sam to pair with our all-pro starters. Reddick would be my choice for that.

Two names in FA that might fit your bill would be Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers. The two have played at both RT and LT, but even they might prove to be too expensive.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:08 am

With there being fewer OL that can play reasonably well at the NFL level, it sounds to reason the price might be higher than in previous years. That said, a seasoned vet can do wonders for a young group, so I expect JS to wait until the first wave of FAs has passed until pulling the trigger.

The experience from last year flattens the learning curve simply from the familiarity of the surroundings in that they can concentrate on the job at hand instead of experiencing everything for the first time. It makes practice and film study that much more efficient not to mention reinforcing techniques instead of learning them.

The question as always will be can they develop as a coordinated group or just be a collection of individuals?
We'll get to see in the pre season how well they are progressing.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum