"You Cannot Take Seahawks' Richard Sherman Seriously Anymore

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

"You Cannot Take Seahawks' Richard Sherman Seriously Anymore

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:52 am

I'm finding it harder and harder to come up with excuses for Richard Sherman's behavior:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... y-anymore/
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: "You Cannot Take Seahawks' Richard Sherman Seriously Any

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Sure are getting a lot of clicks over what Richard said months ago ... how long they gonna milk this cow? I mean yeah, it woulda been better if Sherm had just said "yeah, my bad" but he didn't. So what? He's a football player, not a political figure or a judge or someone who's "credibility" is vital to their performing their function in this world.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Sherman is a rare talent and it gives him a platform for being quoted by the media. I don't pay attention to everything he says. I am interested in his play on the field and that is all.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:07 pm

The article is a hit piece for the most part and it does seem a little overblown. Still these types of episodes seem different for Richard, the sideline explosions on teammates and coaches, the threat against Moore and then pulling a Trump like denial with indisputable evidence of his words in the public domain.
Sherman has always been most loquacious but it seemed like he had a smile on his face most of the time. Not anymore.The guy seems angry. Hopefully he channels it the right way in a few months.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:25 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Sure are getting a lot of clicks over what Richard said months ago ... how long they gonna milk this cow? I mean yeah, it woulda been better if Sherm had just said "yeah, my bad" but he didn't. So what? He's a football player, not a political figure or a judge or someone who's "credibility" is vital to their performing their function in this world.

If this were the first occasion that Sherman popped off, then I wouldn't be concerned. But this season, there's been a distinct change in his personality and his mood, from his sideline explosions over broken coverages to his calling out his HC about offensive play calling to his threatening a reporter, and now this, where he's trying to play some sort of victim by denying his own words. That's not the same Richard Sherman we've seen over the past 5-6 years. Something's changed.

Hopefully this change of attitude is only a temporary condition and/or it doesn't affect his functioning as a player, but it certainly has that potential. He's becoming a distraction, like a Jeff George or Terrell Owens, and it could very easily turn into a team problem.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 pm

You're on top of it, RD. But, unfortunately, it's not just Richard. I've noticed changes in Russell since he got 'hitched', he seems distracted and not the dedicated person he was the first 4 years. Looks like the old adage of pay me and I'm done seems to be taking hold at times. I hope it was a one-year drop off, but so far there is nothing coming out of the Seahawks to indicate any change coming.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:23 am

jshawaii22 wrote:You're on top of it, RD. But, unfortunately, it's not just Richard. I've noticed changes in Russell since he got 'hitched', he seems distracted and not the dedicated person he was the first 4 years. Looks like the old adage of pay me and I'm done seems to be taking hold at times. I hope it was a one-year drop off, but so far there is nothing coming out of the Seahawks to indicate any change coming.

I agree about Russell. He's changed. He's a different guy since he got hooked up with Ciara and seems more distracted. But it's not as confrontational and not to the point where Sherman has taken himself to. Russell's changes are a lot more subtle and less obvious.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:19 am

Good lord TO?! Really?!! Unbelievable ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 am

I'm on the record as being one who thinks there's been a regression in Richard. I can understand sideline blowups.... the "I'll end your career" comment was the most disappointing. He seemed beyond immature or lashing out and downright mean. That he denies it and plays up on the "fake news" angle disappoints me further.

Look, I don't know Sherm. I've always been a fan of his on the field and off, though I wasn't big on earlier behaviors, I chalked em up to a young warrior. I have never been in love w/ those antics - from you mad bro, to acting like he was congratulating Crabtree in "that" moment to the Andrews interview & then all the stuff this year. IMHO, the behaviors this last year feel very different. Less gladiator in the heat of battle and more asshole. Were I not a Hawks fan, I'd really dislike him. He knew that the secondary wasn't as good and he needed to let the world know it wasn't him. Not exactly complete buy-in to Love Our Brothers.

I hope I'm wrong... hope he had a rough patch. Behavior is one thing & CLEARLY lying to save face is another. I still love the man and hope he responds to coaching.

The TO reference is funny, though. TO was so destructive he couldn't stay on a team despite his enourmous talent. This is not that.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:36 am

OK, I'll agree, comparing Sherman to TO wasn't justified.

My point was that Sherman's recent behavior has the potential to turn into a locker room issue. I can make excuses for Richard for his sideline blow ups and his Crabtree rant because they are spur of the moment and in the heat of battle. But this controversy with his Jim Moore confrontation is far displaced from the football field, especially his recent attempt at revising history with alternate facts.

When Sherman first joined our team, I started out not liking him, but as I learned more about him and followed him closer, he sort of grew on me and my opinion took nearly a 180 degree about face of what it once was. But now he has my pendulum swinging back to the other side of my opinion meter. He's a smart man and I love his intensity, but I simply can't condone his recent off field remarks or find an explanation as to why he's chosen to act as he has.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 am

Whether you take him seriously or not, offensive coordinators do take him seriously, so that means he is doing the job he is paid to do - and his 2016 numbers are still solid. As for his off the field personality, it's entertaining and sometimes educating, but I don't have the energy to follow every story or splashy quote that comes from him. I think being a dad makes everyone more annoyed and impatient....
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:09 pm

I-5 wrote:I think being a dad makes everyone more annoyed and impatient....

Becoming a father had the exact opposite effect on me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum