Luke Joeckel??

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Luke Joeckel??

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:22 pm

ACL, MCL & meniscus. May not be ready for start of 2017 season....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Luke Joeckel??

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:32 pm

I just read that. Hmmmmmm - looks like we want to sign him on a one year prove it deal.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:34 pm

8 million for one year......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Okung is gone, too. (I'm not unhappy) -- way, way overpaid by the Chargers... IMHO
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Right Tackle, perhaps?
They are also bringing in Murray (RB)from the Raiders and TJ Lang (G) from the Packers for visits.
I prefer Murray to Jamaal Charles at RB, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm

curmudgeon wrote:8 million for one year......

I read that it was up to $8M, so hopefully a lot of that is in incentives.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:52 pm

curmudgeon wrote:8 million for one year......

EmeraldBullet wrote:I read that it was up to $8M, so hopefully a lot of that is in incentives.

Yup, with incentives. Probably to do with whether he plays T or G.

I like the signing, he's been underwhelming but he's very talented and even when he was "healthy" he was playing through ankle issues ... if he really is finally healthy now we could have us a good one. Remember; it was a 5th year option on a contract for a #2 overall pick in the draft the Jags declined to pick up ... if he hadn't been such a high pick he may well still be a Jag.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 pm

It is being reported that Lang is being made a "priority" by the Seahawks....we shall see.....

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5343/tj-lang
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:26 pm

At the very least, this signing, if it happens, proves that Pete is finally putting his money where his mouth is. I was getting tired of the lip service they were giving us about their making upgrading the OL was their top priority.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 am

I doubt Lang ends up here, and I've been wondering if Sherman's antics and ET's comment about retirement were in part from frustration at the Offense leaving the Defense out to dry.
Maybe JS and PC had a talk with ET on the QT about how he saw his future if they didn't address it. The Defense has been on the field a lot the last 2 years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:41 am

NorthHawk wrote:I doubt Lang ends up here, and I've been wondering if Sherman's antics and ET's comment about retirement were in part from frustration at the Offense leaving the Defense out to dry.
Maybe JS and PC had a talk with ET on the QT about how he saw his future if they didn't address it. The Defense has been on the field a lot the last 2 years.

Lang has said that he'll let the Packers match any offer, so he might just be driving up the price of his next contract. Plus he's coming off hip surgery. Since guard isn't a top priority for us and signing him would shake up nearly the entire line, I doubt that we throw the kind of money it would take to sign Lang given that we've already brought in another big gamble in Joeckel. Interviewing Lang could be a shot across the bows of Glow and Ifedi, that their jobs aren't considered safe.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 am

curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:06 am

Not so sure Luke is a gamble. It's a one year incentive laden deal. If he's not healthy or doesn't play, he doesn't sniff 8M. I do wonder about paying for Lang when I thought the interior was starting to get it. Depth, yes.... I'll defer to the staff, but would like to see a two-legged tackle sometime soon.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Not so sure Luke is a gamble. It's a one year incentive laden deal. If he's not healthy or doesn't play, he doesn't sniff 8M. I do wonder about paying for Lang when I thought the interior was starting to get it. Depth, yes.... I'll defer to the staff, but would like to see a two-legged tackle sometime soon.

It shows they are trying!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 am

I'm also cautiously optimistic about this signing. I agree with others who've said if he plays poorly, he doesn't get the $8M, but if he gets the $$$ then he earned it. I'm most interested in the guaranteed number, which should give us an indication of how likely it is that the FO is just taking a flyer to see if he's healthy at the end of camp.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm not overly excited about Joekel seems like a over priced signing for a guy who has potential he most likely won't live up to. hope I am wrong
Feez
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:27 am

Feez wrote:I'm not overly excited about Joekel seems like a over priced signing for a guy who has potential he most likely won't live up to. hope I am wrong

I can understand not being 'excited' about the signing, but there's very little risk for the Hawks and a pretty high potential reward. Joeckel was once a #2 overall pick, so you know that he has to have a pretty high ceiling. He was injured a lot playing for a very bad team that bounced him around from position to position like a 10-pin. Just plug him in at RT and let him compete with Gilliam for a starting spot. At least he doesn't have to be taught how to play from a 3 point stance.

As others have repeatedly pointed out, there's not a lot of good options out there. The draft class looks very thin, especially for a team like us that is looking for someone that can step in and start from the get-go. This is a good gamble IMO. If he doesn't pan out, the most we're on the hook for is the one year contract. It's sure a lot better than what the Chargers paid for Okung.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Feez » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:08 am

Riv, I am glad they made a move to shore up the line with and actual O linemen but I still think they overpaid. Not like the chargers overpaid for okung (who I didn't want them to re-sign at all). This free agency seems to be one where teams want to make moved fast which can lead to overpaying guys. I see nothing about this guys career so far that warrants 8 mill a year. He has lots of potential but he also has had a few seasons to realize that potential and hasn't. Being rated the worst tackle in the league at one point doesn't make me want to do a backflip which is probably a good thing since that would most likely end up in self injury
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

It's really just the law of supply and demand.
Expect to pay more than in the past for just average OL because there aren't many available and when they do become available there is a bidding war.
Like I said in another thread, perhaps with the OL being paid perhaps above their worth, maybe it will entice college players who are exceptional athletes to play OL and eventually fill the talent void that currently exists.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 am

Feez wrote:Riv, I am glad they made a move to shore up the line with and actual O linemen but I still think they overpaid. Not like the chargers overpaid for okung (who I didn't want them to re-sign at all). This free agency seems to be one where teams want to make moved fast which can lead to overpaying guys. I see nothing about this guys career so far that warrants 8 mill a year. He has lots of potential but he also has had a few seasons to realize that potential and hasn't. Being rated the worst tackle in the league at one point doesn't make me want to do a backflip which is probably a good thing since that would most likely end up in self injury

We don't know how much of Joeckel's contract is guaranteed. I suspect that given his injury history that there's some performance incentives linked to the $8M.

I'm not doing backflips over the signing, either. But I think it's a good risk. We didn't trade any draft choices, we didn't put ourselves up against the cap, and we didn't make any commitments beyond one season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:08 am

A. It's not $8M if he doesn't play and play well. That's the benefit of "incentive-laden" deals. "If" (& WE ALL get that this is a risk) he plays to anything close to his ceiling, we win. If he doesn't, we have a year into him w/ little damage.

B. What North said.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Rams took a look and said NO. Worst rated in the league. Given Seattle's strategy of being tightwads I can see they were shopping the bargain basement while a number of your good players are leaving now. I bet ol Paul Allen would pay minimum wage if he could.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:Rams took a look and said NO. Worst rated in the league. Given Seattle's strategy of being tightwads I can see they were shopping the bargain basement while a number of your good players are leaving now. I bet ol Paul Allen would pay minimum wage if he could.

You mean like Wal-Mart wages? That's your owners style.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:Rams took a look and said NO. Worst rated in the league. Given Seattle's strategy of being tightwads I can see they were shopping the bargain basement while a number of your good players are leaving now. I bet ol Paul Allen would pay minimum wage if he could.

You need a windshield wiper on your navel. It would improve your vision.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:01 am

LOL Now I see you are entertaining AP! May as well go after OJ he will be out soon. Seems to me that Seattle is the dump for old Viking players and coachs.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 am

I like the gamble on him. And it's nice to see a Real effort by our FO to bring in some vet experience.
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum