The Browns get thier QB

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

What is the Browns win totalmore than 5 games with the number 1 DP and Osweiler ?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 am

0 wins
57%
0-5
14%
5-9
29%
9 plus
No votes

Total votes : 7

The Browns get thier QB

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:34 am

Brock Osweiler what do you think about that. I like him he was going to be the answer there for the Texans , oh well here today gone tomorrow.

Thoughts , comments ?
politicalfootball
Legacy

Re: The Browns get thier QB

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 am

I think the Browns with a number one pick and Brock will get 5 wins. That is where my money is. They did get a good QB and have a bright future.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:08 am

I said zero because rumor has it, they are going to release Brock O. It was just a way to launder a draft pick.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby ACES 13 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:41 pm

LOL at the Brownies.
ACES 13
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:05 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I said zero because rumor has it, they are going to release Brock O. It was just a way to launder a draft pick.

They'd still owe him a cool $25M if they released him.

But the point is that he may not be on the Browns roster come September as they're already rumored to be shopping him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 am

RiverDog wrote:
They'd still owe him a cool $25M if they released him.

But the point is that he may not be on the Browns roster come September as they're already rumored to be shopping him.

The browns are 'only' on the hook for $16 mil. When you are released or traded whatever is left of your signing bonus stays with your original team and goes on that years cap. Like when we traded for Jimmy, his cap hit his first year with us was actually less for the Hawks than it was for the Saints. Going back to Brock, he had a $12 mil signing bonus and $3 mil was paid last year so he has $9 mil left which goes towards the Texans cap as dead money this year.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:46 am

mykc14 wrote:The browns are 'only' on the hook for $16 mil. When you are released or traded whatever is left of your signing bonus stays with your original team and goes on that years cap. Like when we traded for Jimmy, his cap hit his first year with us was actually less for the Hawks than it was for the Saints. Going back to Brock, he had a $12 mil signing bonus and $3 mil was paid last year so he has $9 mil left which goes towards the Texans cap as dead money this year.

Thanks for the correction.

But the point is that Osweiller may not be on the Browns roster come September. I've heard that they're already shopping him. Crazy situation.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:06 am

Smart move by the Browns. They couldn't possibly spend that much money wisely, so getting a draft pick for what would have been unused cap space is smart from a football perspective (but the owner might have other ideas about that...).

If they can get anything in a trade, I'd be impressed. I don't think he's a great starting QB, but he is still better than anyone else they have now.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:15 am

Time will tell if this baseball like move will pay off, but you have to like the try. The Browns had $100M in must spend cap space. What they wanted was draft picks so they paid $16M (not 24) to get more picks. There is likely little value for Brock, so the Browns would (by design) eat the $16M and release him if they cannot find a willing sucker...I mean trade partner. The Browns get what they wanted (spending down the cap and future picks) and the Texans got out of a really stupid deal. It has the potential to be a winning move for everyone but the player.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:35 am

With the "must have to spend" amount at $100 million, maybe they believe if they are on a youth movement they might get close to being penalized by not spending the minimum so the $16 million is a cushion to avoid penalties.
I don't know much of their cap status other than they have a lot of room, but we also don't know their financial plan for today and the future.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:47 am

Hawk Sista wrote:It has the potential to be a winning move for everyone but the player.

Until you consider how much money he's going to be making for doing nothing but hold a clipboard.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 pm

If he stays with the Browns and you take last year into account, he will do more than handle a clipboard all year.
Didn't they go through 5 QB changes due to injury?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:07 pm

NorthHawk wrote:If he stays with the Browns and you take last year into account, he will do more than handle a clipboard all year.
Didn't they go through 5 QB changes due to injury?

They could bring in a relatively healthy veteran (which leaves out Romo), someone like Cutler or Kaepernick, and insert him as the starter. Since they're already shopping Osweiller, it can only mean that the Browns aren't all that enamored with him as a starter, so with all the cap space and draft capital they have, you have to think that they're not done searching for a QB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:20 am

NorthHawk wrote:With the "must have to spend" amount at $100 million, maybe they believe if they are on a youth movement they might get close to being penalized by not spending the minimum so the $16 million is a cushion to avoid penalties.
I don't know much of their cap status other than they have a lot of room, but we also don't know their financial plan for today and the future.

This is what I have been saying (at least attempting to say) through several posts. The Browns cannot spend their enourmous cap (too high) in the way they want. They want draft picks and they want younger draftees. The Browns have, as it sits, 22 picks in the next 2 years. . . Several of which are in the first 2-3 rounds THIS YEAR.

Since they cannot buy picks w/ cap $$$, they made this faux trade to spend down their cap, stockpile picks and the Texans lose a shitty contract. It seems neither team wants Osweiler on their 53.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:28 am

If they cut him and he signs elsewhere, will they get a compensatory pick or is that only for players leaving in FA?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:43 am

NorthHawk wrote:If they cut him and he signs elsewhere, will they get a compensatory pick or is that only for players leaving in FA?

If they do they will have bought two picks.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:46 am

NorthHawk wrote:If they cut him and he signs elsewhere, will they get a compensatory pick or is that only for players leaving in FA?

Compensatory picks are awarded only to teams that lose a high value unrestricted free agent.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictiona ... -pick.aspx
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum