Sherm on the block?.......

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Sherm on the block?.......

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:00 pm

curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Sherm on the block?.......

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:14 am

A lot of chatter about it, including some quasi-legit sites such as Bleacher Report but nothing from the big networks yet ... it seems to have originated from a speculative statement made by a Patriots personnel guy in a radio interview about cap situations. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it just now.

That said, everything's for sale at the right price, whether it's for sale or not.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:07 am

It's a little more than just random chatter on Twitter. It's hit the mainstream media:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 49da94c0dd

Although I see no reason to be shopping him around as he still has two years left on his contract, I would certainly entertain offers. If there's a serious offer, then put out the word so as to drive up the price, similar to what Jerry Jones did in the Herschel Walker trade a couple of decades ago.

There is an underlying question: Is this rumor being fueled because Pete is fed up with Sherman and his antics? If I had to place a wager on the proposition, would bet that he's not fed up, but it's a fair question as Sherman has undoubtedly changed and his behavior has become more bizarre, with his feuding with the press and some of his sideline outbursts. Every boss has a line in the sand that you don't cross, and there's a chance that Sherman has been dancing on that line.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 am

It would be a Belichick esque move if it happened. They have traded any number of players who were stars still within their supposed prime.
The way that defensive secondary looked after ET went down was revealing though. It would be weird to see Sherman in another uniform but I have to trust that the FO knows what its doing.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:03 am

RiverDog wrote:It's a little more than just random chatter on Twitter. It's hit the mainstream media:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 49da94c0dd

Although I see no reason to be shopping him around as he still has two years left on his contract, I would certainly entertain offers. If there's a serious offer, then put out the word so as to drive up the price, similar to what Jerry Jones did in the Herschel Walker trade a couple of decades ago.

There is an underlying question: Is this rumor being fueled because Pete is fed up with Sherman and his antics? If I had to place a wager on the proposition, would bet that he's not fed up, but it's a fair question as Sherman has undoubtedly changed and his behavior has become more bizarre, with his feuding with the press and some of his sideline outbursts. Every boss has a line in the sand that you don't cross, and there's a chance that Sherman has been dancing on that line.

It's still not "shopping him around" and it all stems from the same speculative interview.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:35 am

c_hawkbob wrote:It's still not "shopping him around" and it all stems from the same speculative interview.

I didn't say that we were, quite the opposite actually. I said that I saw no reason for the Hawks to be shopping him around.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:24 am

I think on balance, it's probably not going to happen, but nobody knows the future either.
There may be a team that thinks he's the difference for their Defense and would give up a 1st or early 2nd round pick which might make it palatable in this draft.

The big question would be who would want to pay the price for him? I suspect Dallas with losing DB's this FA period could use him but they have Cap issues and Atlanta with DQ might think pairing him with Trufant could be the answer but I can't think of other teams that might be in the mix that think they can win now or in 2 years and are willing to absorb his Cap hit.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:11 pm

I would be the worst GM in history. I loved Matt H. and was so sad to see him go. Others too - so much so that I'd form a losing franchise of people I love. In spite of Sherm's off the field weirdness this year, I love him and would keep him. It makes me sad to think of the secondary w/o him. :o :shock: :? :cry: :roll:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 am

if Sherman played for the Patriots' and blew up at Billy B the way he did here, he would of been on his way out the door, sooner rather than later. Our Coach and GM never said a word, but it didn't mean they were happy to be called out.
It wouldn't surprise me to see it come down. He's not the same Richard.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:33 am

Sista; When I read that you called yourself to be the "worst" GM I thought for sure I was about to read that you would trade Sherm if the price was right. I needn't have worried. I too wanted to keep Hass though I did fear for his health if he had stayed. I think that fear was born out because he did keep sustaining injuries and missing games, so much so it cost him any chance he had to ever be the "man" ever again. Gotta love the guy though, he is still a Seahawk to me, a Seahawk forever!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:10 am

jshawaii22 wrote:if Sherman played for the Patriots' and blew up at Billy B the way he did here, he would of been on his way out the door, sooner rather than later. Our Coach and GM never said a word, but it didn't mean they were happy to be called out.
It wouldn't surprise me to see it come down. He's not the same Richard.

My take, too. I started out not liking Sherman, then grew to really like him, and over the past couple of seasons my emotional pendulum has swung back, not quite to its original position, but almost.

We'll see within the next two weeks or so. If we were going to trade him this season, the ideal time would be just before the draft. If it happens, it will be a sad day, not so much because Sherman's leaving, but it really will signal the end of an era. If there's three people that people associate the Seahawks with, it's Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, and Richard Sherman.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 am

Sherm is a one of like 9 foundational players on this team, each of whom we need, IMHO. That said, I don't know what I don't know. Like how he impacts his teammates? is he a distraction? A divider or a Uniter? A motivation or a drain? I "think" his peers love and respect him, but I don't know that for sure. I think my ultimate response rests in the intangibles that I can only guess about. I leave it to PC & JS.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum