Beast Mode unretiring?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Beast Mode unretiring?

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:14 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Not to be all sour grapes, by I kinda care. Marshawn was & is one of my all time favorite Hawks. Super fun to watch and he gave us great moments/memories. He did, however, make things a challenge and retired w/ more $ in his pocket than was his. The Hawks said "thanks for the memories, no need to pay us the 5M you owe us; best wishes in retirement." He quit/retired in part due to injuries and in part due to SB 49 and the play calling, & not caring for PC. Even though statistically, he was NOT effective in goal to go from the 2 (Yes, the specific play was bad, but it WAS NOT DESIGNED to get the MVP to RW) he and Mama Lynch (& apparently Sherman) cannot get that.

The next year he was going to Minny, then not (playoffs the next year). CM should have gotten more reps that week. & then he started in Carolina, a game I think we might have won that game had he stayed seated. So while I love the guy and all the brilliant moments he gave us, the fact that he is willing to flip off the Hawks one more time to retire as a Raider, keep our $$ and we get nothing in return is a tough pill to swallow. Not unlike Sherm, it "feels" like they are neither one capable of understanding that the success was a two-way street. Yes, he was awesome. But he was a middling RB on a middling squad before being given the opportunity in Seattle (by Pete & John) to make it to the playoffs in every year he played here. PC and the regime he loathed made that happen.

If he does come back, I wish him luck....but I'm a little irritated that we aren't going to get a damned thing out of it. Yesterday I heard 7th or release on NFLN.

I agree with most of this, especially the part about the two way street. It seems like both he and sherm need to realize how good they have/had it here with PC. I was mainly talking about from a team/fan perspective getting 5 mil back doesn't do anything for me, especially if that's it. I feel like it can be used as leverage with him in this whole process but I want something that can actually help the team instead of money (really hoping for a 5th in all this). I also hope we play hardball with him and the raiders on this one. We have the cap space to hold onto him right now and I hope we do until we get something decent in return. Personally I think the Raiders need lynch more than we need to release him which gives us some leverage in the situation to get above a 6th or 7th, hopefully. At the end of the day if we trade him and the Hawks say we didn't get any draft compensation but we got back our 5 mil I wouldn't be very happy...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:09 am

I agree, MYKC14. The money is a drop in the bucket to Paul Allen. I lauded the decision to let him walk w/o repayment when he decided to hang up his career. I thought it was classy. But now, the $$, little if any compensation and a big giant middle finger doesn't feel very good as a 12 who used to root for him as a hawk and a person.

If we are compensated, I'll be fine - though somewhat sad at the way it ended. If we get squat, it'll sting all the more to see #24 in silver and black. (Soon to be silver and blackjack).
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I agree, MYKC14. The money is a drop in the bucket to Paul Allen. I lauded the decision to let him walk w/o repayment when he decided to hang up his career. I thought it was classy. But now, the $$, little if any compensation and a big giant middle finger doesn't feel very good as a 12 who used to root for him as a hawk and a person.

If we are compensated, I'll be fine - though somewhat sad at the way it ended. If we get squat, it'll sting all the more to see #24 in silver and black. (Soon to be silver and blackjack).

I've long since quit getting emotionally attached to any players, so Lynch dissing the team, coach, and fans that made him who he is really doesn't bother me at all. It's a business. That's why it wouldn't bother me a bit if we trade Sherman. The only heartache it would cause me is that it would signal the end of an era.

Now tell me again how stupid I am for refusing to buy a jersey with someone else's name/number on it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Where did I miss Beastmode 'dissing the fans, team, City of Seattle, etc'? -- I just think he's decided that he wants to play with an OLine that can actually block for him and the Raiders do have one of those and it happens to be in Oakland, which he obviously loves to live in.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:39 am

I guess something got lost in translation. It's not my emotional feelings about the player(s), you two. I never said he dissed the fans, players, or the City of Seattle.
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:17 am

Giving management the finger? I see it as Marshawn being Marshawn and I doubt it would be different with any management. He walks his own path in life and it's got him to be a successful man within his profession while creating a post career business, so good for him. That he's never turned his back on his community and maintained his popularity amongst them while still performing for another city says a lot about who he is as a person.
From my perspective it's refreshing - much better than boring insincere platitudes normally spewed forth by high profile athletes, when he does say something it often has some impact.
I think similarly about Richard Sherman who is the polar opposite in his public persona. It's backed him into a bit of a corner of late, but for the most part he has something to say that might not not be popular or something you agree with, but it often gives you something to think about.

I wish Marshawn well wherever he goes as he was a huge part of getting the Seahawks Lombardi. I think his big runs set the tone for the whole team to be tough and never give up. I would suggest that without some of those big runs, this team would never have built the identity on both sides of the ball that it did and is struggling to find again.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby ACES 13 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:34 am

I wish Marshawn well wherever he goes as he was a huge part of getting the Seahawks Lombardi. I think his big runs set the tone for the whole team to be tough and never give up. I would suggest that without some of those big runs, this team would never have built the identity on both sides of the ball that it did and is struggling to find again.

Could not agree more! Well stated NH!!!
ACES 13
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 am

I wish him well too. Were the only story the hometown hero one, I'd be first in line to cheer him on. Even as it is, I wish him well and it'll be fun to see him play well so long as it isn't against us.

Marshawn has been an interesting character in our team's history. Clearly the top RB to suit up in blue/green gave us many great moments on the field and he made Super Bowl weeks interesting. I have a shirt (purchased at the Beast Mode store) that says "It's all about that action boss). But let's be clear. . . He resisted Pete's style and criticized the FO, yet it was all understandable and no big deal. Now w/ Richard wanting to play somewhere else as Marshaen does, it's sad to me. The way the team feels less of a team makes me bummed. If they want to go, they should go - but the Hawks shouldn't get the short end of the stick.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:52 am

I think that's why the are negotiating on compensation.
Nobody knows how much if any gas Lynch has left in the tank. It's been a while since he last played a meaningful down of football, so there is some risk for Oakland if they gave up too much.
I could see conditional compensation being discussed for next years draft. It just makes sense to move on in that direction.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 am

After reflection, I guess what is at the crux of it all Is that I'm feeling like the "Love of Brothers" mantra that the team used to vociferously describe themselves for years is becoming a thing of the past, as is the Legion of Boom. It's not all doom and gloom, but I took pride in the brotherly love between teammates and coaching staff; that was part of what made it special for me as a fan.

The combo of Beast Mode in silver n black and Richard wanting out (allegedly) just has me bummed out. It's not the end of the world, we have the makings of a great squad still. But these headlines do make me feel like the end of an era is nearing. Not the end of the team's success, just the end of the era.

I hear you on conditional comp for Beast Mode.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Beast lost me the other day, totally.

A group of middle school wrestlers from moses lake ran into Lynch at Sea Tac and one of them attempted to take a picture of him. He slapped the camera out of the kids hand and broke it. I guess I could understand if it were a reporter(actually no I never could) but this was a 14 year old kid, a fan.

That's the flip side of this pr@ck. He earned his money on the field but he never accepted the public relations responsibility that comes with being fortunate enough to play in the NFL.
F this Ahole i hope he sucks hot ass and makes a complete fool out of himself in Oakland.
That is all..
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:29 am

Hawktawk wrote:Beast lost me the other day, totally.

A group of middle school wrestlers from moses lake ran into Lynch at Sea Tac and one of them attempted to take a picture of him. He slapped the camera out of the kids hand and broke it. I guess I could understand if it were a reporter(actually no I never could) but this was a 14 year old kid, a fan.

That's the flip side of this pr@ck. He earned his money on the field but he never accepted the public relations responsibility that comes with being fortunate enough to play in the NFL.
F this Ahole i hope he sucks hot ass and makes a complete fool out of himself in Oakland.
That is all..

Gawd, I hope that's some sort of fake news. Do you have a link?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 am

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:49 am

I obviously had the ages mixed up, airport too but those were moses lake select squad wrestlers who had participated in a tournament out of state. I spoke personally with the uncle of the kid who it happened to. Dude was not pleased.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm sure glad I didn't buy a jersey with his name/number on it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Boy you're wearing that particular soap box out don'tcha think?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:39 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Boy you're wearing that particular soap box out don'tcha think?

Not preaching from my soap box, just lamenting about the fact that I don't have to worry about ditching a jersey like a friend of mine that had to lose his Kam Chancellor #31 when he got pissed off at him during his holdout. Damn things cost over $100.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Feez » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 pm

the Longer this plays out the more likely it is I think Lynch says Fugg it. he has money he has a ring and he thinks his services are worth more than the Raiders seem to think. he doesn't need to come back and they don't need to sign him to be a competitor. I saw a post on FB earlier today that he is in Haiti working with his charity right now, no way is he putting the effort into getting camp ready he should be at this point. I think the environment soured with their approach and he is being reminded why he hung it up the first time
Feez
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:41 pm

With AP signing for 3m + -- the bar is now set for "over 30 running backs at the end of their career". I don't know where Beast and the Raiders are, but this should determine who's over/under.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Considering the 2 posts above, it would seem less likely that Lynch does come back, but he's fooled many of us before with his actions.
I don't see him playing for $3 million and the Raiders said they will draft a RB without him signing.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:11 am

Sounds like a dun deal! There goes your history...

I don't wish the Seahwks to be in the SB but what a thought;

Seawhks and raiders meet Feb 2018, Seahwaks lead with a minute to go but Raiders make it to the Sea one-yard line

Beast punches it in for a Raiders win

LOL
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:42 am

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 am

Apparently we get Oakland's 5th and we give them our 6th all next year.
Not much compensation, but it's a gamble on the Raiders part if Lynch has anything left.
We also dump the Cap hit for Lynch if any.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 am

I had heard we get a 5th this season and a 6th next I have also heard we get a 6th next season so I am not sure what to believe. if 23 got 2 picks out of it I am impressed. any way it shakes out money for nothing basically. he retired and we got something out of it even if we took a cap hit last season to retain his rights
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:06 am

Here are 2 different articles that say the same thing:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/ ... h-seahawks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... for-lynch/

But then maybe they both got their information from the same source and that source is wrong.
It would be nice to get a 5th this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:25 am

NorthHawk wrote:Here are 2 different articles that say the same thing:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... for-lynch/

But then maybe they both got their information from the same source and that source is wrong.
It would be nice to get a 5th this year.

Attributed sources include Jay Glazer, Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo. I think swapping next year's 5th and 6th picks is believable.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:43 am

As for a value breakdown, depending upon how the two teams finish the 2017 season it's equal to either a 6th or a 7th round pick most likely.

The most it could be on the trade value chart is 28.4 (actually a late 5th value) and the least it could be is .4 which is like a compensatory 7th.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/dr ... ade-chart/
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:50 am

Those picks may be used in this years draft as trade bait.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am

Largent80 wrote:Those picks may be used in this years draft as trade bait.

Interesting thought.
It would go against Schneider's usual MO, but if some player is there they think is great value maybe they use some of that draft capital.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am

looks like the Beast got what he wanted money wise reports were the Raiders would not budge from 3 mil a year and he could get 16 over 2 years (incentive laden I am sure) but still they are paying way more than they were said to be totally unwilling to move from. my guess is he plays this season and re-retires because I could see the team moving before the 2 years is up. I read an article about the Oilers and their last seasons in Houston and how they intended to do what the Raiders are supposedly going to do and it failed miserably and they left earlier than intended because of it. honestly if the Hawks announced they were leaving in 2 years contender or not that team would not get another dime of my money
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:51 am

It's now official.
He signed with the Raiders.

NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Yeah, Oakland gets the Beast-Mode AND a 6th. rd. draft choice all we get is a 2018 5th. rd. pick. I hope John Schneider bought an industrial size tube of fanny grease to make this deal go down easier. Come on, we held all of the cards, why bend over???
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Yeah, Oakland gets the Beast-Mode AND a 6th. rd. draft choice all we get is a 2018 5th. rd. pick. I hope John Schneider bought an industrial size tube of fanny grease to make this deal go down easier. Come on, we held all of the cards, why bend over???

Lynch was only going to play in Oakland and if he put the screws to us he could have unretired and joined the Seahawks which would have put his entire salary onto the Cap. We would have had to cut some players to sign the draft picks, so it's good all around. I'd rather have 2 5th round picks than a 5th and 6th next year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Yeah, Oakland gets the Beast-Mode AND a 6th. rd. draft choice all we get is a 2018 5th. rd. pick. I hope John Schneider bought an industrial size tube of fanny grease to make this deal go down easier. Come on, we held all of the cards, why bend over???

Huh, I thought the Hawks held none of the cards. They couldn't fit his salary, were set at RB, and would have likely just had to release him without a trade. And the Raiders knew all of that and could have waited.

It feels to me like Schneider probably just wanted *anything* based on principle, and this was it. And I'm fine with it.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Oly wrote:Huh, I thought the Hawks held none of the cards. They couldn't fit his salary, were set at RB, and would have likely just had to release him without a trade. And the Raiders knew all of that and could have waited.

It feels to me like Schneider probably just wanted *anything* based on principle, and this was it. And I'm fine with it.

My take, too. We had zero leverage.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm

the hell we didn't. We had all the leverage, we just didn't ahole them. If we'd have had no leverage we would have been forced to just release him.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Analysts were discussing GMs being A-Holes and the consensus was it gets around quickly and then nobody would want to deal with you.
It wasn't about Lynch, but the sentiment seems to fit.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:50 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:the hell we didn't. We had all the leverage, we just didn't ahole them. If we'd have had no leverage we would have been forced to just release him.

Which is essentially what we did. Moving up from a 6th to an unknown 5th? Give me a break!

Out of 31 other potential trading partners, the Raiders were the only team Beast would have gone to...and the Raiders didn't have a need at RB, plus since they are soon leaving Oakland, so why would they give a rusty intercourse about dissing the local fan base by giving the middle finger to their hometown hero?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Whatever man, sometimes you make a lot of sense and then sometimes you really seem clueless.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 am

My point is that we had just one option: Refuse to release him from his contract. There was no other team he was interested in going to, and that one didn't have a glaring need at his position. That's why all they did was toss us a peanut.

Perhaps you guys were surprised that all we got was trading up from a 6th to a 5th, but I wasn't. If I'm clueless, then I'm in the same company with John Schneider.
RiverDog
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum