Beast Mode unretiring?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Beast Mode unretiring?

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:58 am

Talk is he wants to play for his home town Raiders.
Maybe we could wrangle a 4th round pick for him?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... unretires/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Beast Mode unretiring?

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 am

My buddy Bird Droppings has been predicting this for a long time, almost from the day Beast retired.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 am

1- What if they're his not home town Las Vegas Raiders ... does he still want to play for them?

2- If he were going to play for them they would have to obtain the rights for hi from us one way or another. A 4th though?

3- If it's something he wants to do I'd be happy for him, contracts aside I don't feel he owes us anything.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 am

c_hawkbob wrote:1- What if they're his not home town Las Vegas Raiders ... does he still want to play for them?

2- If he were going to play for them they would have to obtain the rights for him from us one way or another. A 4th though?

3- If it's something he wants to do I'd be happy for him, contracts aside I don't feel he owes us anything.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 am

A 4th round pick in the draft is what came to my mind and I would also be happy for him.
He may only play one more year, but they will be in Oakland until the new Las Vegas stadium is built, so his career would end in Oakland.
I wish him no ill will as he was a major factor in our SB win and getting to our 2nd consecutive appearance the next year.

I think it could be good for both teams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am

c_hawkbob wrote:1- What if they're his not home town Las Vegas Raiders ... does he still want to play for them?

Personally, I don't think the Raiders are going anywhere for at least the next few years. Even if the move is approved, which is far from a given, I think that they'll at least stay in the Bay Area until their new stadium is ready. The only stadium in the Las Vegas area that's even close to NFL standards has enough problems that the league probably won't let them move into it even temporarily.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Sam Boyd Stadium wouldn't even qualify as a High School stadium in Texas! It's a dump and it's HOT, HOT, HOT in September and October in Vegas. There's no way they play all the games at night.
RD's on top of this one. Stay in Oakland for 2 years, maybe San Antonio Dome for 1 more.

Once thing about Las Vegas. They don't BS around when it comes to construction. They have a clear, flat site, right off the 15 and Russell Road. (Mandalay Bay must be foaming at the mouth for the new income stream they're going to have)

The city... they're already collecting the TAX money to pay for it! Get it Done! I'd love to have a reason to go more often.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:19 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Sam Boyd Stadium wouldn't even qualify as a High School stadium in Texas! It's a dump and it's HOT, HOT, HOT in September and October in Vegas. There's no way they play all the games at night.
RD's on top of this one. Stay in Oakland for 2 years, maybe San Antonio Dome for 1 more.

Once thing about Las Vegas. They don't BS around when it comes to construction. They have a clear, flat site, right off the 15 and Russell Road. (Mandalay Bay must be foaming at the mouth for the new income stream they're going to have)

The city... they're already collecting the TAX money to pay for it! Get it Done! I'd love to have a reason to go more often.

They do have an option to move down south as San Diego has issued an invitation. They could also stay in the Bay Area by sharing Levi Stadium with the 49'ers for a couple of years, but I'll bet that they'll hang around in Oakland for at least a year or two.

And I'm like you. I make a once a year trip to Las Vegas during football season, and having an NFL team there would give me more of a reason to visit. It's a kick to go down there and walk around the strip wearing your team colors on an NFL Sunday.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Tusc2000 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 am

It's been almost two years since he's seen the field. Maybe he'll be fresh, but at age 30, my guess is he won't last half a season. Running backs have a short shelf life in the league...
Tusc2000
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 pm

I work at the Mandalay Bay convention center quite often. There's a little balcony where we go to get a breath of fresh air. It overlooks that exact spot which is in the final running as a potential site. I imagine watching games from my perch there.
It looks as if Sheldon Adelson has withdrawn from the deal though. That was a big drawback.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/stadium/adelsons-withdraw-investment-proposed-raiders-stadium-las-vegas
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm

The Raiders have since secured their own Bank of America financing for the stadium: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017 ... ncing.html
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 pm

No, he would have to petition the league for reinstatement, then he would owe the Hawks 2 million; his contract with the Raiders would be 4 million max. Marshawn lived on his signing bonuses and banked his salary. Take it to the bank, he is not going to un-retire.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:The Raiders have since secured their own Bank of America financing for the stadium: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017 ... ncing.html

Yes, I saw that they've come up with an alternative funding plan. But even if the move is approved, they won't be able to get it constructed for at least 4 years, and as we've discussed, with no suitable temporary facility in the LV area, the Raiders will IMO stay in Oakland for at least a year or two, long enough for Beast to make a farewell appearance in his home town if he/Raiders/Hawks can come to some sort of agreement.

Personally, I'd love to see him come back with the Raiders. They aren't in our division and we don't play them again until 2018. If he does come back, IMO it doesn't last more than a season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 pm

obiken wrote:No, he would have to petition the league for reinstatement, then he would owe the Hawks 2 million; his contract with the Raiders would be 4 million max. Marshawn lived on his signing bonuses and banked his salary. Take it to the bank, he is not going to un-retire.

Things can be worked out if both sides work towards it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 pm

I think if Beast wants to play the Hawks should let him without driving a hard bargain. The dude has earned it.

That said its a mistake on his part. His style wore him down. I think from the time of the pass on 2nd and goal in 49 he was mentally done with Seattle despite resigning but looking at his stats pre hernia in 2015 it was clear he was physically in extreme decline as well.

Beyond that the read option and having a Russell Wilson as a threat to run every play made life a little easier in Seattle than it will be for a now 2 years older guy in a traditional offense. I think it will be another of those old guy hung on too long stories.

I wouldnt mind being wrong unless they meet Seattle in the Superbowl. Id love to see Lynch in the Hall and he needs a couple more good years to be a lock.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm

That's possible, Hawktawk. The odds are against him performing at a high level.
But a year off might just have recharged his batteries enough to play well for a year and with the Raiders OL and pass game, he might just be able to pull it off.

I read someone on some site saying we should swap 1st and 2nd round picks for his rights with maybe a conditional late pick next year if he runs for specified yardage and/or TDs.
I think we might also get some of his signing bonus back in that scenario, but I'm not sure of the rules regarding trades.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:41 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I read someone on some site saying we should swap 1st and 2nd round picks for his rights with maybe a conditional late pick next year if he runs for specified yardage and/or TDs.
I think we might also get some of his signing bonus back in that scenario, but I'm not sure of the rules regarding trades.

Boy, that would be a real coup if we could pull that off. Swapping places with Oakland in both the 1st and 2nd round plus a late round pick? That would be one helluva deal for someone that's already retired. Heck, I was thinking that we'd just release him outright.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm

RiverDog wrote:Boy, that would be a real coup if we could pull that off. Swapping places with Oakland in both the 1st and 2nd round plus a late round pick? Heck, I was thinking that we'd just release him outright.

Norcal and I have a gentleman's bet with the over/under at 6.5. He figures a 7th or outright release and I say a 6th, a 5th if we're lucky.

Bucky Brooks (former Seahawks scout) and the guys on Path to the Draft were discussing the draft implications of Marshawn's potential return and they kinda settled on a 5th as most likely compensation.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:45 pm

The Raiders select 2 spots ahead of us, so it's not that big of a deal except that there will be a slightly larger pool of players. The late pick next year could be conditional.

Edit:
A 5th is more than I expected to hear, but I'd take it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:53 am

NorthHawk wrote:The Raiders select 2 spots ahead of us, so it's not that big of a deal except that there will be a slightly larger pool of players. The late pick next year could be conditional.

Edit:
A 5th is more than I expected to hear, but I'd take it.

Except that the proposal is that we swap spots in both Rounds 1 and 2 PLUS a lower round draft choice. That to me sounds like a helluva deal, especially when there is zero market for Beast as the only team he'd play for would be the Raiders. Heck, the Cowboys can't get half that much for Romo.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 am

I think every team knows the Cowboys won't keep Romo, so the situations are a little different.
Moving up 2 spots in 2 rounds isn't really much. If they lost a high pick or swapped our last 3rd for their 2nd, then it would be a lot but in a deep draft, it would just give the Seahawks a very slight advantage in selecting players while the Raiders get a RB who if he can play at a high level again can help. It helps both teams which is what trades are supposed to do, but I doubt it would ever happen. It was just someone's outside the box idea.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 am

I was listening to John Clayton's take on this a few days ago and he brought up a good point. Marshawn if he was serious about making a comeback would have been training by now and he is traveling promoting his charities right now. if he signed with the Raiders he would most likely be expected to take part in training camp and practices, the Raiders would not have the relationship with him like the Hawks so there wouldn't be as much reason they would want to work with him like they did here in Seattle. from what I have heard is most of the "news" broken on this has been speculation by his agent and people who know him. he probably has said he wanted to play and would like to play for his home team on more than one occasion but based on his actions so far it doesn't appear he is making much of an effort to get game ready
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am

Very true, but he knows what's best for him to get ready for the NFL better than anyone.
Having said that, I think it's a low probability, too but Michael Robinson on NFL Network who is still in contact with Marshawn said he thinks it's a real possibility.
So who knows how it will unfold.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

so, anyone else think the Raiders relocating is going to change Marshawn's (supposed) plan? I do even if he would be re-retired by the time they move it would be basically rewarding the franchise for turning their back on his hometown. if nothing else he is a loyal guy I think this might have just closed that door.
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 pm

The Raiders have received permission to talk to Lynch.
We might get a conditional pick or late one this year if we trade his rights.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:13 am

The Seahawks are expecting to trade the rights to Lynch to the Raiders according to Ian Rapoport via PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-raiders/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 am

I just can't imgaine getting back into playing form after sitting a year and in decline before that. What I expect is Beast to go to Raiders, Sea gets a 7th round pick. beast runs a few plays and retires a Raider.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:03 am

He hasn't signed the un-retiring papers yet, but if he intends to do so, OTA's are just around the corner so he better hurry. Even though he knows what it takes for him to get ready for the NFL, he still needs to study the playbook and get some reps with his new teammates.
Maybe You're right and this is just an exercise for the home town folks and his ego, but I don't think he's that type of person. Maybe I'm wrong.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Uppercut wrote:I just can't imgaine getting back into playing form after sitting a year and in decline before that. What I expect is Beast to go to Raiders, Sea gets a 7th round pick. beast runs a few plays and retires a Raider.

I think they will get a 4th or maybe 5th out of him which is fine since basically anything is found money here. I agree too his return won't be nearly what Oakland fans suspect it will be. either he returned too quickly after his surgery or he played a little scared because of it before not playing an entire season. he might be healed 100% now but he is 31 and missed a whole season. last week Dave wyman was saying how he wished he had never tried to make a comeback after missing a season, I know they are totally different on a physical skillset scale but still it is one professional athlete who had a longer than average career saying it is nearly impossible to come back to the same level you left. it's worth taking into consideration
Feez
Legacy

contract terms agreed on

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Marshawn Lynch agrees to terms with Raiders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... th-raiders
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Feez wrote:I think they will get a 4th or maybe 5th out of him which is fine since basically anything is found money here. I agree too his return won't be nearly what Oakland fans suspect it will be. either he returned too quickly after his surgery or he played a little scared because of it before not playing an entire season. he might be healed 100% now but he is 31 and missed a whole season. last week Dave wyman was saying how he wished he had never tried to make a comeback after missing a season, I know they are totally different on a physical skillset scale but still it is one professional athlete who had a longer than average career saying it is nearly impossible to come back to the same level you left. it's worth taking into consideration

I doubt that we'll get too much. There is no market for Beast. Oakland is already in good shape at RB and Beast ain't going anywhere else, so the Raiders hold all the cards. On our side, I'm sure that we want to accommodate Beast after all he's given us, so saying no really isn't an option. I think all we'll get is a 7th rounder, perhaps a conditional 5th or 6th based on carries or something.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Feez; I don't think the up coming relocating of the Raiders franchise to Nevada will matter much because they are supposed to keep playing in Oakland for at least the next three years and I can't see Marshawn playing beyond that. In fact, when the Raiders leave for Las Vegas Lynch will reretire.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:04 pm

...Oakland is already in good shape at RB... actually, RD, they're not. Their starter left in FA and they really don't have any good options. They were also looking at AP, but I'm assuming his 8m a year vs (I would assume) 3m ++ incentives for Marshawn could be the deciding factor.

I don't think the Raiders view this any more than a stop-gap for 1 year. I also see them announcing a 10-20m donation to 'renovate' the locker rooms, electrical system and lighting or those parts of Sam Boyd for a year or two and the league just may allow them to play all night games, at least into November.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:22 am

jshawaii22 wrote:...Oakland is already in good shape at RB... actually, RD, they're not. Their starter left in FA and they really don't have any good options. They were also looking at AP, but I'm assuming his 8m a year vs (I would assume) 3m ++ incentives for Marshawn could be the deciding factor.

I don't think the Raiders view this any more than a stop-gap for 1 year. I also see them announcing a 10-20m donation to 'renovate' the locker rooms, electrical system and lighting or those parts of Sam Boyd for a year or two and the league just may allow them to play all night games, at least into November.

I was caught headline reading, saw an article before FA that said that the Raiders had a lot of options at RB.

In any event, we don't have a whole lot of leverage in this transaction and have to take whatever Oakland is willing to give us. We certainly can't play one bidder against another, so I'd be really surprised if we get more than a 6th rounder.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:20 am

But River, he would have to pay back the bonus money right? 4 million.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:23 am

Besides having let Latavius Murray go in FA the raiders are in horrible shape on the local front and NEED Beast to keep butts in the seats in Oakland for the next year or two.

Charley Casserly was speculating a 3rd conditional to a 2nd this morning on NFLN while earlier speculation on Path to the Daft seemed to settle on about a 5th, so I don't think the perception around the league is moving toward lower compensation or outright release (if we were willing to release him we would have by now), as had been speculated earlier.

Besides, if we were to release Marshawn outright it opens him up to the high bidder (which is why of course 'Lynch to the Pats' has been so conveniently floated recently), and that would cost the Raiders more on the contract end of the equation.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:45 am

I heard beast is getting 9 million in base salary for 2017. That cant possibly be true can it?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:56 am

Hawktawk wrote:I heard beast is getting 9 million in base salary for 2017. That cant possibly be true can it?

That is true, but that isn't what the Raiders will end up paying him. That's why his agent has been negotiating with them. When he gets reinstated by the Hawks he will have a 9 mil cap hit (unless the NFL allows him to be on the exempt list).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:01 am

obiken wrote:But River, he would have to pay back the bonus money right? 4 million.

It's 5 mil and he doesn't have to pay back anything. The Hawks could have gone after that money when he retired but decided he had done so much for the team that they would just let him keep it. I have heard a few people talk about getting that money back, but why do we care? It will not be added to the salary cap or anything. That 5 mil is already gone. PA would get the 5 mil back but who cares it's not like he can use it on another player or anything.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:35 am

Not to be all sour grapes, by I kinda care. Marshawn was & is one of my all time favorite Hawks. Super fun to watch and he gave us great moments/memories. He did, however, make things a challenge and retired w/ more $ in his pocket than was his. The Hawks said "thanks for the memories, no need to pay us the 5M you owe us; best wishes in retirement." He quit/retired in part due to injuries and in part due to SB 49 and the play calling, & not caring for PC. Even though statistically, he was NOT effective in goal to go from the 2 (Yes, the specific play was bad, but it WAS NOT DESIGNED to get the MVP to RW) he and Mama Lynch (& apparently Sherman) cannot get that.

The next year he was going to Minny, then not (playoffs the next year). CM should have gotten more reps that week. & then he started in Carolina, a game I think we might have won that game had he stayed seated. So while I love the guy and all the brilliant moments he gave us, the fact that he is willing to flip off the Hawks one more time to retire as a Raider, keep our $$ and we get nothing in return is a tough pill to swallow. Not unlike Sherm, it "feels" like they are neither one capable of understanding that the success was a two-way street. Yes, he was awesome. But he was a middling RB on a middling squad before being given the opportunity in Seattle (by Pete & John) to make it to the playoffs in every year he played here. PC and the regime he loathed made that happen.

If he does come back, I wish him luck....but I'm a little irritated that we aren't going to get a damned thing out of it. Yesterday I heard 7th or release on NFLN.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum