Upcoming Draft Strategy

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Upcoming Draft Strategy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 pm

How will the FA signings affect our draft strategy this year?
We know we need OL improvements and PC said in his year end press conference that they would be looking at DB, LB, and OL help.

So far, we have signed the following:

Bradley McDougald, S
Oday Aboushi, OG
Arthur Brown, LB
Perrish Cox, CB
Luke Joeckel, OT
Eddie Lacy, RB
Blair Walsh, K

They haven't re-signed Kam so his days here may be numbered (they haven't extended Britt yet, either so maybe it's just a timing thing) and a couple of players are on what appears to be try out contracts and the LoB is getting older.
With some talk about Sherm being available and ET earlier musing about retirement, is this the year they re-stock the secondary with playmakers who can take a year to learn?
Schneider said earlier that he doesn't just draft for the upcoming year, but looks down the road 2 and 3 years with upcoming contracts in mind.

I think the FO will be looking at and expecting to draft Defense early but if a legitimate OL prospect is there they take him.
Depending on how they see the talent tiers, they may trade back a number of slots and maybe into the early 2nd round if possible.
A lot depends on who in particular they see as being high value when their time to select is up.

My expectations of some of who they are looking at (in no particular order). I left out those expected to go much earlier than 26.:

LB Jarrad Davis. He's almost like another Wagner and is a heavy hitter. Probably won't be there at 26, though.
S Obi Melifonwu. The combine showed he's a freak athlete who is both quick and fast at 6' 4" and 224 lbs
LB TJ Watt. Good size, fast and quick. Great pedigree and good tackler
CB Kevin King. A faster Richard Sherman in size, but not quite as physical.
CB Sidney Jones. Hurt his Achilles in his pro day, but might fall. We could wait a year for maybe one of the best CB's in this draft. 3rd Round?
DT Montravius Adams. Can push the pocket. Was double and triple teamed at times last year.
DE Jordan Willis. Very athletic like Pete wants.
OT Taylor Moton. Road grader RT who is surprisingly athletic for Cables scheme.
OT Adam Bisnowaty. Said to compare favorably to Breno but is a better athlete with a mean streak.
OG Isaac Asiata. Powerful run blocker who is surprisingly athletic. Another road grader with a mean streak. One highlight showed him still blocking his man 15 yards down field.

Any thoughts about these or others?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Upcoming Draft Strategy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:21 pm

As to our signings:

Bradley McDougald, S - is decent. A solid depth addition that could push for a starting position

Oday Aboushi, OG - is a bit of a head scatcher. With $750K guaranteed he's likely more than a camp body but not much more than a depth addition IMO. Cable must have seen something about him he likes ...

Arthur Brown, LB - is a camp body with a shot to make the team and not much more.

Perrish Cox, CB - is a freakin' rapist. A decent player but I hate this signing. I know I know, he was never found guilty in a court of law, but even given that I'm shocked we signed him.

Luke Joeckel, OT - is a reclamation project. #2 overall draft pick that has yet to pan out on the field. You know the talent is there though and he's still young, I'm willing to se if Cable has any real magic he can work with this one.

Eddie Lacy, RB - is my favorite move of the offseason so far! Always loved watching him run, there is no better replacement for Beast Mode available either in free agency or IMO in the draft. I'm excited to see what we can do with him.

Blair Walsh, K - is a kicker. We gotta have one. I guess ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 pm

We signed another kicker today to compete with Walsh.
John Lunsford.
I wonder if they thought Hauschka would still be available?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:39 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:As to our signings:

Bradley McDougald, S - is decent. A solid depth addition that could push for a starting position

Oday Aboushi, OG - is a bit of a head scatcher. With $750K guaranteed he's likely more than a camp body but not much more than a depth addition IMO. Cable must have seen something about him he likes ...

Arthur Brown, LB - is a camp body with a shot to make the team and not much more.

Perrish Cox, CB - is a freakin' rapist. A decent player but I hate this signing. I know I know, he was never found guilty in a court of law, but even given that I'm shocked we signed him.

Luke Joeckel, OT - is a reclamation project. #2 overall draft pick that has yet to pan out on the field. You know the talent is there though and he's still young, I'm willing to se if Cable has any real magic he can work with this one.

I agree with Bob on pretty much all of this. as for the draft I learned a few seasons ago to stop trying to guess at what Pete and John might have up their sleeves. when I think I might know what direction they may go In the draft they go another all together. IF I were to make a guess I would expect an O line player and further rebuilding of the secondary since it is a defense heavy draft. maybe pick up another RB too? who knows I think if Rawls isn't Rawls of his rookie season though he will be out. they won't wait as long as they did to pull the plug like they did with Turbin and Michael

Eddie Lacy, RB - is my favorite move of the offseason so far! Always loved watching him run, there is no better replacement for Beast Mode available either in free agency or IMO in the draft. I'm excited to see what we can do with him.

Blair Walsh, K - is a kicker. We gotta have one. I guess ...
Feez
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum