Sherm being shopped.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Sherm being shopped.

Postby obiken » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Is Sherm gone? I know most of you wont agree, but I think he is.
Would Pete say that they are taking offers for Wilson? Not in a million years. I think P an J are done with Sherm. Note well I DO NOT WANT him gone, but I think he is. But that is just one guys opinion.
obiken
Legacy

Re: Sherm being shopped.

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Is he being shopped or are they just doing their job and hearing people out who enquire?
They'd be foolish not to know what his market value is in the event some team offers a boatload of picks and/or players or if Sherm decides he wants out.

From what I've read, they just listened to offers that weren't enough to pursue. I would even expect them to listen for offers for Russ even if they would never make that move.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 pm

NH I just don't think you go public with that without being serious at shopping him. Maybe its just a disciplinary tool.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 am

This administration has always said they listen to all offers.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:02 am

I agree with obi. I don't think this rumor would have the legs that it has if the Hawks weren't serious about trading Sherman or at least administering some sort of warning shot across his bow due to his recent behavioral issues. You don't hear these kind of rumors about our other core players like Wagner, Wilson, Baldwin, et al. They would have knocked down the rumor the moment it started if there wasn't any truth to it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:01 am

He is done in Seattle and will be moved between now and the draft.......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:25 am

curmudgeon wrote:He is done in Seattle and will be moved between now and the draft.......

2% chance. At most.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 am

John Schneider said he gets lots of inquiries and 98% of them don't proceed.
That a team leaked that they inquired about Sherman doesn't mean he's being shopped and John and Pete listening doesn't mean they want to get rid of him.
It's just a matter of due diligence, but if a great offer comes along they would be foolish to not at least examine it or if good enough, act on it.
That nothing further happened means the inquiries weren't substantial enough.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:09 am

Sherman laughed it off BUT ALSO said, sometimes you have to be gone before they miss you or some similar thing. I hope he realizes that there are two sides to that. I doubt he'd like to be the starting corner for the Browns. Careful what you say, Sherm. He doesn't seem to respect the the fortune of being a Hawk.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:47 am

Here's the full story with the quote Sis is eluding to, plus a good summary of how the saga between Sherman and Pete has gone recently:

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... -situation

Cbob, purely as a betting man and nothing more, I'd lay $100 on your assignment of a 2% chance that Sherman gets traded.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 am

I agree with Bob, Sherm is not going anywhere.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm

I am not sure where I stand on the will he or won't he. I do think his behavior toward the end of last season and months after rubbed a lot of people (myself included) the wrong way. I do think they listen to any offer made on anyone aside from Russ. I don't believe anything I hear from anyone either way on it because literally 2 days before Trading Harvin (who they shopped the entire season) they said how they had plans to work him into the offense more immediately and what a talent he was. I don't think Sherm is anywhere near Harvin level but I am not sure he needs to be for Pete & co. to wash their hands either. my Guess is this is a "we will not put up with much more $#!t from you" and if the right offer came they would have pulled the trigger. he seems to have a Me mentality lately or he has outgrown the team that grew him. either way I doubt he is a Hawk more than the next few seasons either way
Feez
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 pm

It'd be beyond stupid to trade Sherman, which I doubt will happen anyway.

His contract is reasonable, he's still only 28, and it'd send the wrong message to the team. His blow ups last year...he should be able to put it behind him. Either way, he's worth having around for another legit SB run over the next 2 or 3 seasons.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:36 pm

He's under contract for 2 more years (UFA in 2019) so the time is near whether to fish or cut bait with him if there is an ongoing problem.
I don't think there's much to it, but if there is and one side is wanting a change, now would be a good time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Zorn76 wrote:It'd be beyond stupid to trade Sherman, which I doubt will happen anyway.

His contract is reasonable, he's still only 28, and it'd send the wrong message to the team. His blow ups last year...he should be able to put it behind him. Either way, he's worth having around for another legit SB run over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

I agree but from P and J's point of view they feel he is loud and expensive.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:57 pm

obiken wrote:... from P and J's point of view they feel he is loud and expensive.

You have no way of knowing that Obi, that's purely your perspective. Personally I don't believe that to be the case at all. I'd guess they're more amused at all the hoo-ha than anything.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby ACES 13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Much ado about nothing.
ACES 13
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:40 pm

curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 pm

[/quote]You have no way of knowing that Obi, that's purely your perspective. Personally I don't believe that to be the case at all. I'd guess they're more amused at all the hoo-ha than anything.[/quote]

"amused"?... I don't know about that at all. Bosses don't like employees to call them out, especially in public and they all have ego's to go with it. I said it before, if he had pulled those sideline raves on Belechick, Sherman would of been gone already.

I think this has some legs to it, but I doubt anyone would pay us enough to make it worth it, which would be a top 10 pick +++ to start, maybe 2?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:10 am

No new information there, Curm. It contains the same quotes that we've been talking about.

I agree with js. IMO the Hawks FO are expressing a little more than random amusement. They would have used entirely different terms to shoot down the rumor if they weren't at least thinking about trading Sherm and/or sending him a message. But 2 top 10 picks? It's not going to happen. First of all, no one has two top 10 picks (Cleveland has the #1 and #12 this season), and secondly, a team like Cleveland that's in a years long rebuild mode that has sufficient draft capital to pay that kind of asking price isn't going to sell their future for a 29 year old cornerback.

If anyone's going to trade for him, it will be a contending team like the Patriots, who have supposedly expressed interest. The Pats are virtually bankrupt when it comes to high value draft picks this season as they are without a first and a second round pick. Their first pick doesn't come until the #72 overall, which probably explains why their inquiry didn't go anywhere.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 am

RiverDog wrote:
No new information there, Curm. It contains the same quotes that we've been talking about.

I agree with js. IMO the Hawks FO are expressing a little more than random amusement. They would have used entirely different terms to shoot down the rumor if they weren't at least thinking about trading Sherm and/or sending him a message. But 2 top 10 picks? It's not going to happen. First of all, no one has two top 10 picks (Cleveland has the #1 and #12 this season), and secondly, a team like Cleveland that's in a years long rebuild mode that has sufficient draft capital to pay that kind of asking price isn't going to sell their future for a 29 year old cornerback.

If anyone's going to trade for him, it will be a contending team like the Patriots, who have supposedly expressed interest. The Pats are virtually bankrupt when it comes to high value draft picks this season as they are without a first and a second round pick. Their first pick doesn't come until the #72 overall, which probably explains why their inquiry didn't go anywhere.

Yeah that's Florio keeping the pot stirred so he doesn't lose a precious talking point. A 4 hour radio program 5 days a week is a lot of air time to fill.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Feez » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 am

looks like Schnieder's comments this morning clear up any part of this being a rumor. I am not surprised firstly it is a business and we are just at the cusp of where this team will need to replace quite a few players who have been here a while and are fan favorites. I think Sherman's comments and attitude coupled with his down year have made him expendable. our secondary would not improve right away with any trade but it would free up some cap space and it would come when he still had some value left. I won't hate it if it happens or doesn't but I can see why it would if it does
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:05 am

I have yet to hear any comment from Schneider or Carroll saying they are or were actively seeking a trade partner for Sherman.
What they did say repeatedly was they listen to every offer for every player, but 98% of the discussions go nowhere.

Like Bob said, there's a lot of air time to fill and not much going on right now.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:01 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I have yet to hear any comment from Schneider or Carroll saying they are or were actively seeking a trade partner for Sherman.
What they did say repeatedly was they listen to every offer for every player, but 98% of the discussions go nowhere.

Like Bob said, there's a lot of air time to fill and not much going on right now.

...uhhhh... you might want to check out the news today. You can start with PFT. Not only is he being shopped, but the team has offers on the table, that at a minimum, include New England (who admitted to it) and others. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's not a joke anymore. I told you that management just does't like being called out by a player, any player, on live TV.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:14 pm

I don't see anything that wouldn't happen with any other player as they listen to all offers. The other players just aren't as high profile and there isn't much else going on right now.

From PFT:

“This isn’t a secret like this just came out of nowhere,” Schneider said. “People find things out and we’re not going to lie to each other and we’re not going to BS each other. It’s going to be all laid out, and like I said, that doesn’t happen everywhere. . . . It’s just open communication. He knows what’s going on. We know what’s going on. I don’t know if anything would ever happen, but like I tell people all the time, 98 percent of the deals that we’re involved with, we don’t follow through with. But at least we’ve opened that door, gone down the road and seen what’s behind Door A or Door B.”

Sounds like they are just listening to offers to me - as they should because you never know if some team is going to significantly over pay with either players or picks or both.
This might turn out to be one of the 2% that is executed, but chances are it won't be.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:27 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1908 ... rd-sherman

again, not saying it's going to happen. Who knows? But this is not some 'fake news' anymore and those that think so are blind to the realities of Professional Football.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19083710/gm-confirms-seattle-seahawks-discussed-trading-richard-sherman

again, not saying it's going to happen. Who knows? But this is not some 'fake news' anymore and those that think so are blind to the realities of Professional Football.

I never thought it was Fake news, either but just doing their due diligence.
My guess what happened was teams saw an All Pro not happy during the year and approached Schneider or Carroll. Then they released the news that they talked in hopes to drive a wedge in the relationship.
As GM, he has to listen to all offers. With the talent on this team, it wouldn't surprise me that all types of players are inquired about, but with the goings on from last year and Sherm's outspokenness it flared up.
I don't know how it's going to end, either. Maybe they have agreed with some teams to discuss it nearer the draft, or talks are ongoing, or maybe that's the end of it.
But it is prime time given his age and contract to maybe consider it.
The problem is everyone knows that Sherman can play at an All Pro level but draft choices are simply unproven potential so how much would he be worth in return.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:25 pm

My Mid Off Season Assessment is that the Seahawks are fading fast.

Lynch gone to Raiders
Sherman soon to be gone to greener pastures
Locker room strife
back up QB in jail and probably off team
RW got babies to deal with and high maintenance wife
OL still bad
Kicker gone and no good one in sight

trouble in the NW back to normal 8-8
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 am

... and that would still be 4 games better then the Lambs...

By the way, most of your statements are inaccurate or speculation. What we do know that is truth? John Schneider, one of the top drafting GM's has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds this year and unlike the Rams who, except for Aaron Donald, are the worst drafting team in the past 10 years (well, (OK... there's the Browns)
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 am

LOL Sherm may want to play in LA as its closer to mama's in Compton

Maybe you guys trade him to SF for draft pick and Kaep
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby ACES 13 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 am

LOL Sherm may want to play in LA as its closer to mama's in Compton

What does this have to do with a trade of RS? It's not his choice to make!
It's highly unlikely that he would be traded to a division rival. :roll:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... bad-blood/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-sherman/
ACES 13
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

[quote="ACES 13"i]LOL Sherm may want to play in LA[/i] as its closer to mama's in Compton[/quote]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-sherman/[/quote]

I don't think he gets traded, but to play the game (according to the Miami Herald, and who would know best than a reporter the furthest from Seattle, they want a good player and a high draft pick) how about a trade to Miami for Maxwell and their 1st round pick?
They get Sherman and we get someone we know can play in our Defense who has a rapport with both ET and Kam.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 am

NorthHawk wrote:[quote="ACES 13"i]LOL Sherm may want to play in LA[/i] as its closer to mama's in Compton[/quote]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-sherman/[/quote]

I don't think he gets traded, but to play the game (according to the Miami Herald, and who would know best than a reporter the furthest from Seattle, they want a good player and a high draft pick) how about a trade to Miami for Maxwell and their 1st round pick?
They get Sherman and we get someone we know can play in our Defense who has a rapport with both ET and Kam.[/quote]

I don't see that happening. IMO they wouldn't be looking to trade him for another high priced CB. This is a very deep CB draft and IMO you can get a very good CB at #26 or even later, but trading him for a high draft pick or a good OL or pass rusher might be enough to pull the trigger. At the end I do agree, I don't think anything will happen, especially because the same reason the Hawks might be willing to deal Sherm is the same reason a team would not want to trade for an expensive CB this year, the depth of the draft.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:30 pm

It is a sorry state of affairs that has brought Sherman and the F/O to this point. No one and I mean NO ONE PERSON is more important than the rest of the team as a whole. It is that Ole team unity thing, the team just can't be seen treating RS differently than they would other players. I mean, how much insubordination is the F/O supposed to take anyhow??

I love Sherm, but lets face it, he is not and never was as good as Darrell Revis. Sherman is a LEFT Corner, a darn good Left Corner but "flipping" sides is NOT Sherm's strong suit. Sherman has also been making too many mistakes considering his exalted status.

But, should he be traded??? What can realistically be expected for Sherm? Don't even think that the Hoodie will give more than a 4th. and that would be for the 2018 draft. Maybe Belicheat would throw in a back up O-lineman who has a phantom blown knee or back ligament a player John or Pete would drool all over and then make excuses about later. How come the team doctor's on the Seahawks NEVER catch a players problem only after we trade for them???

So, again, what is the best we could expect to get for Sherman? I say we keep him unless some team makes an offer "we can't refuse".
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:36 pm

I don't see that happening. IMO they wouldn't be looking to trade him for another high priced CB. This is a very deep CB draft and IMO you can get a very good CB at #26 or even later, but trading him for a high draft pick or a good OL or pass rusher might be enough to pull the trigger. At the end I do agree, I don't think anything will happen, especially because the same reason the Hawks might be willing to deal Sherm is the same reason a team would not want to trade for an expensive CB this year, the depth of the draft.

I can see the reasons for not going for that deal, but with draft picks you are looking at potential and nothing more. With Sherman, you are giving away a known quantity and even though Maxwell isn't Sherman, he fits our system very well and can play in it at a high standard immediately.
I don't think this trade scenario will happen, though. There's just not much else going on at the moment.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:It is a sorry state of affairs that has brought Sherman and the F/O to this point. No one and I mean NO ONE PERSON is more important than the rest of the team as a whole. It is that Ole team unity thing, the team just can't be seen treating RS differently than they would other players. I mean, how much insubordination is the F/O supposed to take anyhow??

I love Sherm, but lets face it, he is not and never was as good as Darrell Revis. Sherman is a LEFT Corner, a darn good Left Corner but "flipping" sides is NOT Sherm's strong suit. Sherman has also been making too many mistakes considering his exalted status.

But, should he be traded??? What can realistically be expected for Sherm? Don't even think that the Hoodie will give more than a 4th. and that would be for the 2018 draft. Maybe Belicheat would throw in a back up O-lineman who has a phantom blown knee or back ligament a player John or Pete would drool all over and then make excuses about later. How come the team doctor's on the Seahawks NEVER catch a players problem only after we trade for them???

So, again, what is the best we could expect to get for Sherman? I say we keep him unless some team makes an offer "we can't refuse".

Really... now you're undervaluing what certain 'persons' are 'worth' to the team. "NO ONE PERSON"? really?

Try these:
Coach Pete
John Schneider
Paul Allen

and then the players... Earl Thomas / Russell Wilson / Kam ... ok, that's about it for the team, but others, like Bobby Wagner and Michael Bennett have show, by their absence, how valuable they are to the team.

Richard is Top 5 CB in the NFL and in this day and age that does make a difference. To me, Richard might of divided the clubhouse with his rants on playcalling. Again right or wrong, once it goes public, it's wrong, wrong and more wrong.
Very hard to overcome it, unless Richard himself goes to management and apologizes (not likely) and agrees to change his ways. (even less likely)
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Richard is no less than a top 2 CB in this league, never really has been, and IMO is a top 1. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer still in his prime. That's why if we do trade him it'll be a major blockbuster.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Things are percolating huh, fellows. Might the Titans offer a 1st and 3rd? (18 & 83). Then get Scot McCloughan back in the fold to manage the draft. Personnel acquisitions have been spotty since he left.........
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:18 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Things are percolating huh, fellows. Might the Titans offer a 1st and 3rd? (18 & 83). Then get Scot McCloughan back in the fold to manage the draft. Personnel acquisitions have been spotty since he left.........

Funny you should mention McCloughan, curmudgeon.
When he was canned in Washington, I was thinking the same thing. After all he had a hand in building the 49ers when they were good and helped get us some great picks while he was here. I think he has a great eye for talent, but I don't know if he has control of his demons.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:46 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Richard is no less than a top 2 CB in this league, never really has been, and IMO is a top 1. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer still in his prime. That's why if we do trade him it'll be a major blockbuster.

I'd certainly vote for him on the first ballot. But I'm not sure if he's still in his prime. He sure didn't look like a first ballot HOF'er last season.

I might be talked into a trade if it involved a first rounder and a player like Maxwell, but Miami's first round pick (
#22 overall) wouldn't be high enough. Perhaps Miami's 1st and 3rd plus Max.
RiverDog
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum