OT: Go Zags!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT: Go Zags!

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:39 pm

At long last, I finally have a horse in the race. For a long, long time, I haven't had a true team to root for on the national stage other than my beloved Seahawks...except perhaps the UW football team.

Two really good games today. Too bad no one at U of Oregon played YMCA basketball and learned how to box out an opponent on free throw attempts like I was taught.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: OT: Go Zags!

Postby mykc14 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Go Zags!!!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Wow, one basket from an all NW National Championship Game. And the kid that didn't block out is 'taking the blame' -- BS I hope the coach stops that nonsense. There were a lot of worse play by the Ducks that led to them being behind most of the game.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:03 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Wow, one basket from an all NW National Championship Game. And the kid that didn't block out is 'taking the blame' -- BS I hope the coach stops that nonsense. There were a lot of worse play by the Ducks that led to them being behind most of the game.

10-4 that the kid that didn't block out having to take the blame. There's lots of blame to spread around, beginning with the head coach, who burned all his timeouts before the last minute.

Lots of Zags fans in this area, and I've been invited by a friend that's a Gonzaga grad to watch the NC game with him. I don't have a Zag tee shirt, though.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:11 pm

On the last *rebound* by NC the guy is TOTALLY over the back of the oregon player. The play looked like a lot of the no calls vs SC during their 16-0 *run* vs the Zags.
The officiating in the tournament has been horrible throughout.I hope its better tomorrow.

Regardless here we are. 20 years ago I was sitting in a gas station parking lot in Cheney WA with my 4th grade son listening to the Zags lose to the Connecticut Huskies in the elite 8 on my radio in my truck. That run by a school Id never really followed incited a passion for me that nearly rivals my lifetime of fandom for my Hawks nowadays.
The Zags have finally arrived no matter what happens tomorrow but wouldn't it be sweet if the team that gets criticized for merely being an excellent well coached team wins the title over one of the NBA farm teams posing as a perennial power. Shutting the haters mouths forever has got to burn in the psyche of these players. If they win they have to be considered one of the greatest single season college basketball teams of all time.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Congrats to Gonzaga on making the championship game.

Haven't caught much of the tourney, but I like that there's at least one team in final that was a surprise of sorts, even if the Zags were a top seed.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Hawktawk wrote:On the last *rebound* by NC the guy is TOTALLY over the back of the oregon player. The play looked like a lot of the no calls vs SC during their 16-0 *run* vs the Zags.
The officiating in the tournament has been horrible throughout.I hope its better tomorrow.

Regardless here we are. 20 years ago I was sitting in a gas station parking lot in Cheney WA with my 4th grade son listening to the Zags lose to the Connecticut Huskies in the elite 8 on my radio in my truck. That run by a school Id never really followed incited a passion for me that nearly rivals my lifetime of fandom for my Hawks nowadays.
The Zags have finally arrived no matter what happens tomorrow but wouldn't it be sweet if the team that gets criticized for merely being an excellent well coached team wins the title over one of the NBA farm teams posing as a perennial power. Shutting the haters mouths forever has got to burn in the psyche of these players. If they win they have to be considered one of the greatest single season college basketball teams of all time.

Yeah, NC doesn't have any kids in the program that actually go to class and the cheating the school and coach have done in the past doesn't seem to matter to anyone in power with the NCAA. Someday, they'll have to explain how the school never paid any penalty.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 am

Hawktawk wrote:On the last *rebound* by NC the guy is TOTALLY over the back of the oregon player. The play looked like a lot of the no calls vs SC during their 16-0 *run* vs the Zags.

All the Oregon kid did was place himself between his opponent and the basket. That's only one part of screening out. You have to aggressively move your opponent away from the hoop, make yourself 'big' and use your body to force him towards the free throw line, otherwise you allow for the possibility of a long or high rebound and allowing for more of a jump ball situation, which is what happened. It's a basic fundamental of the game. I must have learned to do that when I was 8 or 10..

I thought it odd that any NC players were even lined up in the lane. With only 4 seconds left and Oregon w/o any timeouts, many teams will pull all their players and put them on the other side of the half court line to defend against a quick pass up the court, 4 players to guard no more than 3 as Oregon would have had to have at least two players in the lane. One way NC could have lost that game was if a foul was called on the rebound, and as Hawktalk contends, one could have been called on that play. Another thing that could have happened was for the NC player to have made the shot and Oregon grabbing the ball and throwing the outlet pass to at least half court, which is why you want 4 players deep. But I guess that's why Roy Williams is a great head coach and I'm a couch potato.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum