OTish Romo retiring

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OTish Romo retiring

Postby Feez » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:25 am

Obviously I am not a Romo fan in fact I think he is greatly over rated but I can respect the guy for knowing when it is time to hang it up. I am sure if he wanted to play next season there would be a few teams interested. I think he wanted to retire only playing for one team which is rare these days. health probably played a factor too but the guy goes out with good numbers (aside from playoff wins) and a bunch of money while staying loyal to the team that held on to him (longer than they probably should have)
Feez
Legacy

Re: OTish Romo retiring

Postby obiken » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:29 am

I am not a Romo fan but I think he is underrated, numbers dont lie and he has been one of the best for the last 5 or 6 years. Only 3 things keep him from being Great: Injuries, he was a Cowboy, and No Ring.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:58 am

Just reading between the lines, it seems that when became apparent that no one, at least none of those teams Romo might deem acceptable, such as the Texans and Broncos, were willing to put their eggs in his flimsy basket and pencil him in as their starter, that he decided to start a new career. It's probably a good decision on his part. He's made plenty of money, stands to make a lot more in his new field, and is preserving his good health. But not unlike his playing career, his entry into his new field has touched off a storm of controversy as CBS is bumping out a much more experienced broadcaster in Phil Simms, IMO one of the better color guys since Madden hung it up, in favor of their latest Flavor of the Day in Tony Romo, proof that ratings is more important to the network than the quality of the broadcast.

I view Romo's career much like that of our own Dave Krieg, who put up some great numbers yet never played in a Super Bowl and was widely regarded as a choke artist. He'll forever be endeared in the hearts of us diehard Hawks fan for his infamous Romo-ooskie fumbled snap on a potential winning FG attempt in only playoff game with them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Feez » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:26 am

RiverDog wrote:Just reading between the lines, it seems that when became apparent that no one, at least none of those teams Romo might deem acceptable, such as the Texans and Broncos, were willing to put their eggs in his flimsy basket and pencil him in as their starter, that he decided to start a new career. It's probably a good decision on his part. He's made plenty of money, stands to make a lot more in his new field, and is preserving his good health. But not unlike his playing career, his entry into his new field has touched off a storm of controversy as CBS is bumping out a much more experienced broadcaster in Phil Simms, IMO one of the better color guys since Madden hung it up, in favor of their latest Flavor of the Day in Tony Romo, proof that ratings is more important to the network than the quality of the broadcast.

I view Romo's career much like that of our own Dave Krieg, who put up some great numbers yet never played in a Super Bowl and was widely regarded as a choke artist. He'll forever be endeared in the hearts of us diehard Hawks fan for his infamous Romo-ooskie fumbled snap on a potential winning FG attempt in only playoff game with them.

you could be right on that Take because he hadn't talked about retirement until he just announced it as well as his new career. Romo might do well at commentary but I did like Sims and the commentators I do like is a short list. I know football is a team sport but people also say great QBs elevate players around them too so I think the Romo rep for being a choke artist is probably apt. he has had missing pieces around him a lot of his career but he also made the playoffs enough times and only won twice so that label probably won't ever go away.
Feez
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 am

Dave Krieg is about the best comparison to Romo I've seen. They were comparing him to Donovan McNabb and Kurt Warner this morning on NFLN and though their stats may have been closer Romo lacked the playoff success of those two ... he and Krieg are a much better match. Dave had more INT's but Romo had a better supporting cast.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm

I'll miss his fumbles and interceptions in critical situations in the playoffs.
It was fun to watch their fans jump off the bandwagon.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:28 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Dave Krieg is about the best comparison to Romo I've seen. They were comparing him to Donovan McNabb and Kurt Warner this morning on NFLN and though their stats may have been closer Romo lacked the playoff success of those two ... he and Krieg are a much better match. Dave had more INT's but Romo had a better supporting cast.

Agreed for the most part. Krieg also had more fumbles...a lot more, retired as the all time leader in that category.

The two played in different eras, so comparing them statistically is apples and oranges. Krieg was at a huge statistical disadvantage as he played during a time when there wasn't nearly the amount of restrictions on defenses as there was during the time Romo played.

But outside that, IMO the two careers and the two players bear a lot of similarities.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:44 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Dave Krieg is about the best comparison to Romo I've seen. They were comparing him to Donovan McNabb and Kurt Warner this morning on NFLN and though their stats may have been closer Romo lacked the playoff success of those two ... he and Krieg are a much better match. Dave had more INT's but Romo had a better supporting cast.

Me too! Great analogy, execpt I think Romo was better, but my view of DK was always jaded. No way he should be in the Ring.
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:10 pm

obiken wrote:
No way he should be in the Ring.

Grrrrrrrr.....

Not only does he deserve to be in the Ring of Honor but he should be considered for the HOF. He ranks top 15 in wins, yards, and TD passes. Despite his long career he only ranks 25th in INTs. He does rank 3rd in career TDs, but that didn't hurt the 2 players ranked 1 and 2 on that list (warren moon and Brett Favre) both of whom are in the HOF... I'm not saying he should be in the Hall but he deserves some buzz.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:33 am

mykc14 wrote:Grrrrrrrr.....

Not only does he deserve to be in the Ring of Honor but he should be considered for the HOF. He ranks top 15 in wins, yards, and TD passes. Despite his long career he only ranks 25th in INTs. He does rank 3rd in career TDs, but that didn't hurt the 2 players ranked 1 and 2 on that list (warren moon and Brett Favre) both of whom are in the HOF... I'm not saying he should be in the Hall but he deserves some buzz.

Krieg is a no brainer for the ROH. He was a critical component of our first truly relevant teams. His longevity alone should qualify him.

But no way should he be considered for HOF. No SB for one thing, too many turnovers at too critical of times for another. Krieg's stats were a bit biased as he started his career just as the league went to a 16 game regular season, and he got in just as the league was becoming more pass happy. There were a number of QB's in his era that were undoubtedly better, such as Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, and Jim Kelly just to name a few.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Feez » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 am

I agree Krieg should be in ROH already but I don't see him ever making the HOF.
Feez
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Oh, and NO! Tony does NOT belong in the HofF. Don't even think about it!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:45 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Oh, and NO! Tony does NOT belong in the HofF. Don't even think about it!

The HOF discussion was about Krieg, not Romo. Neither will so much as get nominated IMO.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:51 am

The only reason Romo is mentioned as a HOF player is the fact he played for Dallas. If he has been playing for the Browns or Titans or others over the past 10 years with similar results everyone would yawn.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:28 am

Uppercut wrote:The only reason Romo is mentioned as a HOF player is the fact he played for Dallas. If he has been playing for the Browns or Titans or others over the past 10 years with similar results everyone would yawn.

That's a succinct expression of my feelings as well. He's been overhyped his entire career and now people think he was one of the best ever.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Who's mentioning Romo as a possible HOF candidate?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:14 am

RiverDog wrote:Who's mentioning Romo as a possible HOF candidate?

They were discussing it on the NFL Network yesterday, so it's out there.
Maybe it's just filler before the draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 am

NorthHawk wrote:They were discussing it on the NFL Network yesterday, so it's out there.
Maybe it's just filler before the draft.

Oh, I've heard it in some circles even before this season. I meant that no one in this thread had brought up the subject of Romo and the HOF.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:33 pm

RD, I know it was a comparison between our Mudbone and Tony R. I too believe that the two have had comparable careers for their respective cl[color=#40BF00][color=#40BF00][/color][/color]ubs. I would say that Romo had Roger Staubach and Troy Aichman to live up to. I only want to blunt anyone who thought Romo Hall worthy. I am sure Rambo believes Tony should be a unanimous choice LOL
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum