Boykin Arrested Again?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Boykin Arrested Again?

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:19 am

For the 2nd time in two weeks, Trevone Boykin has apparently been arrested:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sea ... spartanntp

After doing some more research, it looks like he was arrested for the same incident as it was a violation of his probation.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Boykin Arrested Again?

Postby Uppercut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:33 am

He looks to be finished! At least here I would guess.

Hawks should get Kap for a year. Would be good esp in OL is still weak. Kap could be used early to let the opposing teams D knock him around until they tire then in comes RW to win the games.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am

Being a QB is all about making good decisions.
This is almost too stupid for words. Putting yourself in that position while already on probation shows a complete lack of awareness of his situation.
Bad decisions make bad Quarterbacks and vice versa.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:01 am

he is done, I would say done here but honestly he hasn't done enough of anything for a team to take a chance on him in my opinion. I was never a fan of him being our back up I wished they had kept Pryor. same skill set without any of this stupidity behind it. at first I would have brushed this off as a kid not learning from past behavior but this seems more than that. whatever it is he is done doing it as a Hawk I am all but sure of. this puts us in another position of immediate need though. I can't see them drafting a rookie and having him learn behind Russ considering he nearly went out with injuries last season. no idea who they will bring in but my guess is they are a vet
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:06 am

I had hopes of him being another Russell in his mobility so the Offense wouldn't have to change at all if he was forced into playing.
That would be the ideal situation, but I doubt we can find someone like that in FA or the draft with the exception of Kapaernick.
Whether he would want to be a backup at all or even play here is another question.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:06 am

I'm surprised people are saying he's done. If they didn't let him go after the first arrest why would they all of the sudden now. I am pretty sure the Hawks knew this would be a parole violation and are not surprised.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:23 am

Because it shows poor decision making.
Presumably he knows he's on probation and what would violate those rules and he did it anyway.
That's just stupid and you can't have stupid at QB. It doesn't turn out well.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am

NorthHawk wrote:Because it shows poor decision making.
Presumably he knows he's on probation and what would violate those rules and he did it anyway.
That's just stupid and you can't have stupid at QB. It doesn't turn out well.

I understand all that but this isn't anything new, it stems from the same arrest two weeks ago. This doesn't change anything from the Hawks perspective. They knew he was on probation, they knew he was arrested 11 days ago and I am sure they knew this was violating his parole. They didn't release him 11 days ago this most recent arrest doesn't change anything. It doesn't show more bad judgement, the bad judgment was shown 11 days ago. It doesn't show stupid, stupid was shown 11 days ago...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:57 pm

I am saying he is done because he has done nothing in the league to merit a team continuing to take a chance on him after a 2nd run in with the law. if he had shown some crazy level of potential I could see it but he was average to below average at best. his latest arrest was due to a possible revocation of his probation from his 1st run in with the law. meaning he will face additional punishment from that as well as possession charges for having 2 ounces of weed in his bag. it's going to be a hard sale to say that was a personal stash. back to my first comment though I am saying he is all but done because there is little to no reason for a team to take a chance on him. back up QBs need to be all but invisible until they are needed. T Jack is gone and the charges against him were dropped
Feez
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Feez wrote:I am saying he is done because he has done nothing in the league to merit a team continuing to take a chance on him after a 2nd run in with the law. if he had shown some crazy level of potential I could see it but he was average to below average at best. his latest arrest was due to a possible revocation of his probation from his 1st run in with the law. meaning he will face additional punishment from that as well as possession charges for having 2 ounces of weed in his bag. it's going to be a hard sale to say that was a personal stash. back to my first comment though I am saying he is all but done because there is little to no reason for a team to take a chance on him. back up QBs need to be all but invisible until they are needed. T Jack is gone and the charges against him were dropped

The charges against T Jack didn't occur when he was on the team. I don't disagree about Boykins lack of success in the league he obviously hasn't done much. My only point is that if the team was going to release him over this it has nothing to do with the parole violation, which is why he was arrested today and why this thread exists. It looks like he is facing a lot of trouble and very well could be let go of because of it, but it wouldn't be because of today's arrest on a parole violation. So my point is that today's arrest doesn't change anything from the Hawks perspective...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:11 pm

I guess it just depends on how much value you put on a players commitment and intelligence to lead the team (if required) if he consciously violates his probation and puts his position at risk.
Can you depend on him to take his team responsibility seriously or not if he doesn't take his life and potential freedom seriously?
He could be lost for a season. His selfish actions means we may have to find a replacement, so do we find one now or go into TC with no backup QB and just hope Russ doesn't get hurt seriously enough to come out?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Let's all think this out.

#1) He wasn't driving. That's a good thing! Isn't that what we always moan about? "why did ____________ not take a cab"? Remember Lofa's DUI when he had 3 others in the car and HE was driving drunk?

#2) He wasn't in a bar / causing trouble / defying the Cops / beating up his girlfriend (cough, cough 49ers today) ... He just got screwed by a very bad chick driver.

#3) He lives in a city where what he got caught with is legal to have and smoke.

All in all, I don't perceive a lot of this has to do with his ability to 'lead a football team'-- Now, he probably has taken a piss test or two since that night and that might be more of an issue if he's suspended by the NFL for 4 games.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Let's all think this out.

#1) He wasn't driving. That's a good thing! Isn't that what we always moan about? "why did ____________ not take a cab"? Remember Lofa's DUI when he had 3 others in the car and HE was driving drunk?

#2) He wasn't in a bar / causing trouble / defying the Cops / beating up his girlfriend (cough, cough 49ers today) ... He just got screwed by a very bad chick driver.

#3) He lives in a city where what he got caught with is legal to have and smoke.

All in all, I don't perceive a lot of this has to do with his ability to 'lead a football team'-- Now, he probably has taken a piss test or two since that night and that might be more of an issue if he's suspended by the NFL for 4 games.

Agreed with #1 and #2.

But #3? The city he lives in might permit it, but his employer sure in the hell doesn't.

I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet. I can live with a 4 game suspension.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:01 pm

It was said a few years ago that something like 80% of the players smoke at one time or another. Who knows, But, you're right about the "employer" not being happy, for sure... but he's still an employee until someone better comes along.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:15 pm

And what happens if his probation is revoked and he has to serve time?
He can't afford to miss time and if it is revoked and it puts him in jail until part way through the season, would it still be minor for the team and his career?
Putting his probation at risk regardless of how minor the crime is just plain stupid when he has so much to lose.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Yes, between the probation violation and the NFL, he may have an issue at the start of this coming year. Something tells me that the new charges will be reduced or dropped as it was a small amount and he may have to do a couple of weeks in the pokey for the probation violation. If this happens at his revocation hearing, he would be out by June. I don't know anything about Texas law -- maybe he does get a year, but I doubt it. What a waste of good jail space if this is all it's about.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:07 am

NorthHawk wrote:And what happens if his probation is revoked and he has to serve time?
He can't afford to miss time and if it is revoked and it puts him in jail until part way through the season, would it still be minor for the team and his career?
Putting his probation at risk regardless of how minor the crime is just plain stupid when he has so much to lose.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the court system handles it. In my mind, I don't think that the circumstances justifies revoking his probation and throwing him in jail. IMO that's one of the problems with our justice system today, that we go after the little minnows and let the big fish get away. That was a very minor, almost technical violation of his probation. If they don't revoke the probation, then I'm good with following whatever course of action is dictated by the league.

But if his probation is revoked, the court's decision has to be respected and justifies kicking him off the team. Either way, I think that the situation almost guarantees us bringing in an experience vet to either push Boykin for the backup job if he's cleared to play or take it over outright if he's not on the roster.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 am

It doesn't matter to me what the probation violation might be even if it's just jay walking, the decision to put himself in that position was stupid and selfish.
He just has to have enough discipline to avoid all things that tempt him to cross the line until the probationary period has passed. He's nearing the end of it as I recall, so it's not that much to ask and shows he doesn't get the big picture.
It's too bad because he has some of the escapability qualities of Russell and could be an effective backup given enough time to understand the game, but can he be trusted to be disciplined enough to properly develop?
His decision making puts some of that in doubt.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 am

NorthHawk wrote:It doesn't matter to me what the probation violation might be even if it's just jay walking, the decision to put himself in that position was stupid and selfish.
He just has to have enough discipline to avoid all things that tempt him to cross the line until the probationary period has passed. He's nearing the end of it as I recall, so it's not that much to ask and shows he doesn't get the big picture.
It's too bad because he has some of the escapability qualities of Russell and could be an effective backup given enough time to understand the game, but can he be trusted to be disciplined enough to properly develop?
His decision making puts some of that in doubt.

You're preaching to the choir regarding his decision. It was just as you say it was, stupid and selfish, and I was by no means defending his actions or affording him some sort of excuse. I was speaking as a practical matter, whether his transgression was sufficient enough of a violation to toss him in the can and ruin his career, and unless there's information out there that I am not aware of, I say no, it doesn't justify that kind of response from the court.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:00 am

I agree with that. MJ should at the very least be removed from the current designation that puts it in the same class as Heroin. It's just ridiculous to be considered as dangerous.
Unfortunately it is classed the same (edit: changed from isn't), and the penalties can in some regions be severe so exposing yourself to that reality isn't the most intelligent thing to do considering what he has to lose.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:06 am

NorthHawk wrote:I agree with that. MJ should at the very least be removed from the current designation that puts it in the same class as Heroin. It's just ridiculous to be considered as dangerous.
Unfortunately it is classed the same (edit: changed from isn't), and the penalties can in some regions be severe so exposing yourself to that reality isn't the most intelligent thing to do considering what he has to lose.

Very true.

I simply hope that unless there is more information than we have available, that the judge in this case will exercise the same common sense that most of us seem to have. Not that I have a lot of love for Boykin, it's just that I don't like seeing any young person's life screwed up for these rather harmless mistakes.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum