Back up QB situation

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Back up QB situation

Postby Feez » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:22 am

OK so with his 2nd arrest in less than 2 weeks it looks like Boykin is most likely done here just for S&Gs what do you want them to do or what do you think is most likely for our back up QB next season? Boykin did get very limited action this last season so I think they will pick someone with the idea they made get some playing time even if it is a possession or 2 at the least.

do we draft a rookie? I don't think they will go that route again since we don't have the time or proven protection in place to "grow" a guy

Boykin isn't going anywhere?

bring in a vet? if so who? some of the guys listed here have since been signed but it still shows who is left. of that list I guess maybe Kellen Moore would be who I would feel the best about if we had to take one. there are a few with potential but also lots of draw backs so I am not sure they would be worth the risks or headaches especially if they never play.
what say you Hawkshack play GM for a second what would you do ?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/
Feez
Legacy

Re: Back up QB situation

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:41 am

Maybe Beathard or Kelly if either drops to the 7th as developmental projects should the draft fall that way otherwise Kapaernick seems to me to be the best option in FA provided he is willing to be a backup for a year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am

His second arrest really just stems from his first arrest because its a parole violation from his bowl game arrest. I agree it's too many arrests but it's not like he just went out and did something stupid 11 days after being arrested. I really am starting to think he's not going anywhere. PC already said they are going to wait and see what happens and gather all the facts, etc... they likely have a pretty good idea about what happened and are either going to keep him in the team until they can draft somebody else that they are comfortable with backing up RW or they are going to just keep him. IMO the Hawks are in the place where they aren't going to pay a veteran backup $ just late round rookies on rookie contracts, develope them and let them go for either comp picks or possibly a trade.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 am

true it is basically a secondary arrest for the same thing but I am not sure he has enough going for him for this to not be a last strike for him here. from he details I have read it shows insanely poor judgment and seems like a continuation of the concerns they had before drafting him. I think with this and the Sherm situation they may decide to cut bait and not focus as much on keeping him around. if the Sherm trading thing is all about showing who is in charge there Boykin is done for sure. one thing that is for sure is we don't need to have another position of need right now going into the draft and with our salary cap as it is
Feez
Legacy

Postby ACES 13 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 am

I guess maybe Kellen Moore would be who I would feel the best about if we had to take one.
Cowboys resigned Moore on March 20th.

I'd be happy to see Boykin retained given the BS circumstances of his arrest. We will see...
In very limited action last yr he looked serviceable to me. Let's not forget that he was deemed a 1st Rd talent prior to his original arrest.
ACES 13
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 am

My money is on drafting a cutting-edge QB in the 6 or 7th round of the 2017 draft. After all RW himself was drafted late so I like it.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Why not Blaine Gabbert? Once a top 10 pick,he's still relatively young, athletic, and has starting experience.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Even without the latest incident for Boykin, I think Pete & John are looking for another option at #2. If nothing else, it's always good to groom a guy who could be a bargaining chip later.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:06 am

Boykin is an explosive athlete with a terrific arm whose potential is far above the known ceiling for most of the stiffs sitting around waiting for another call.He has proven he is capable of leading the team down the field such as collecting himself after a rough start to close out the season ending 9ers game after PC inexplicably dumped him in the game with 11 minutes left in a competitive game.

So the question is whether hes a bad guy or locker room cancer. The answer in my mind is not at this point. The guy was a passenger in a car crashed by another person and was the victim of overzealous policing imo.Perhaps his rap sheet with a cop was a factor.

His greatest offenses were weed possession(I don't give a flying F) and public intoxication(he only became became public when his driver crashed and he reportedly cooperated with police).That charge in retrospect sounds ridiculous.

I say hes worth another chance although I would think one more chance is all. At some point he needs to put himself in better situations. If he falters in his personal decision making there is always another stiff sitting around. If Russ did not prove last year its going to be tough getting him off the field no matter what happens I don't think he ever will. And god forbid he does go down its over for Seattle next year with the faltering defense except with a super dynamic athlete who can run the Seahawks offense without major accommodation.
Keep the one guy who can do that around if at all possible.The only other guy with significant mobility is either Gabbert (no arm or courage) or Kap (Not just no but HELL NO).
Cool the turbos.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:31 am

I really don't think the issue is if he's a locker room cancer ala Percy Harvin. IMO the issue is whether or not he's worth the risk of getting suspended. Even though I feel this latest incident was a relatively minor one and that he should be afforded every opportunity to make the team, if he doesn't start making smart decisions in his personal life, his career is going to be pretty short. I don't want to be putting our precious eggs into a flimsy basket if he doesn't clean up his act.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 am

If he doesn't have to serve a jail sentence and doesn't miss OTA's or TC/part of the season, then yes by all means welcome him back.
The problem is it doesn't show that he makes good decisions. Considering what was at stake of the potential loss to his personal future earnings, not to mention how it might affect the Seahawks, it puts in doubt if we can depend on him to make good decisions with the football.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Most of you seem to be on his bandwagon. So am I. Boykin ain't going anywhere. Neither is Sherm.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:59 pm

RiverDog wrote:Why not Blaine Gabbert? Once a top 10 pick,he's still relatively young, athletic, and has starting experience.

I wouldn't be mad at that signing at all. I think though based on Boykin's style being similar to Wilson's the goal is to have a guy who they don't have to come up with a whole new offensive scheme if Wilson were to go down. [color=#00BF00][/color]
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Yah, I think Pete or John said as much even if they would be playing with a much slimmer playbook for Boykin considering his lack of playing experience.
Gabbert might be an OK fit being a veteran and all.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:16 pm

I live in Texas and watched Boykin in college. I love the guy for the Hawks and I'm on the side of forgiveness.

That being said, he needs to put a stop to his stupid stuff right NOW.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Largent80 wrote:I live in Texas and watched Boykin in college. I love the guy for the Hawks and I'm on the side of forgiveness.

That being said, he needs to put a stop to his stupid stuff right NOW.

That's kinda the camp I'm in. I'm good with bringing in an experienced vet as an insurance policy, but my first choice for backup quarterback is a guy named Boykin that's gotten his $hit together.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

My opinion is on this, we bring in someone who is going to push Boykin. Also we can not only make Boykin better but we may be able to carry three QB . And we get him in the late rounds of the draft.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 am

Old but Slow wrote:A late possibility, seventh round or free agent is Trevor Knight. Seems pretty raw, but great athleticism and potential. Low investment, low risk.

Hmm, maybe a dark horse pickup if he's still available late.
From what I've read, he is athletic enough for the Zone Read, but throws a lot of interceptions which Pete can't have. But the athleticism is there if they think it might be something like footwork and not simply bad decision making.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 am

Is Kaep still unemployed? Might get a bargain for a year
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Feez » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Uppercut wrote:Is Kaep still unemployed? Might get a bargain for a year

I honestly wouldn't absolutely hate that based on his numbers last season. 12 games with 4 picks isn't bad yardage wasn't bad. his TDs were lack luster but he really doesn't have a lot of talent around him right now. 2 problems with this though he wouldn't take what the FO would want to spend and I doubt he would want to be a back up again.
Feez
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum