Draft Thoughts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Draft Thoughts

Postby Largent80 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:53 am

Taking out all the noise from The Sherman trade possibility, it is very apparent that the Hawks need to get younger in the D backfield for the future. Fortunately this draft is just what we needed.

The trend is playing the 4-2-5 these days, which can be disguised several ways with a single high safety. That means the Hawks can basically fill 2 spots with one pick by drafting a few available players (if in fact they are available at #26)....If they really want one of these guys they may try to move up if they feel a team is going to pick their guy.

The good thing is there are so many good ones they may be able to stay at 26 and get their man.

2 players (Kevin King and Obi Melifonwu) are perfect for this role both having played CB and S. Melifonwu is huge and a great athlete. King is going to be really good.

The other angle is getting a CB for the slot, because Lane will be outside for at least half a year. I really liked watching Adoree Jacksons college career. Dynamic playmaker on both sides of the ball and also is a holy terror returning kicks. I would love to see any of these guys in that firs t round or even 2nd (they won't last that far).

There are other positions to address as well. SAM linebacker. Tyus Bowser would be great for the Hawks.

Any Thoughts?
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Draft Thoughts

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 am

I think you've identified some of the players that could fit our defense. It and the league defenses are evolving into only 2 Linebackers and moving a player (usually a Safety type but maybe a small LB that has good wheels) into a role where he can both play the run and pass equally. Mostly to take away the dominating TE's we are now seeing. A player like Melifonwu would appear to be a good fit, but if you look at the Combine results, TJ Watt might be in play here as well. I doubt we can get both Melifonwu and Kevin King, but we might get one of them If the decision was up to me, I would take Melifonwu as he can play both Safety and CB as well as be the "Deathbacker" or Buffalo (whatever you want to call it).
A poor man's Melifonwu might be Josh Jones. He's not quite as dynamic a player, but he's still pretty good and not talked much about even though he is often ranked high in the ratiings.

The interesting thing about Adoree Jackson is he can do it all. He might be the premier return man as well as a very good DB who has the quickness to cover the Amendola type of receivers and he has played on the Offensive side, too.
He's a guy who at the College level changed the course of the game with returns or interceptions as well as some bubble screen type plays on Offense. And we all know how much Pete likes players that can turn a game into our favor.

Other players to think about are Adam Bisnowaty, T/G who is a Breno type of player and two Guards in Nico Siragusa and Isaac Asiata who have the athleticism and measurables John and Pete seem to like. They might not fall to our late 3rd selections, but you never know in a draft what teams see as value.

It's going to be an interesting draft for us as our FO looks for specifics and more teams are looking for the same things. JS said recently he doesn't see this draft as that deep this year and last year was better. I don't know if it is just smoke or if the specifics they look for are sparse. In any event, at 26 should we not trade down they should have a few players to choose from that might immediately help and others that might do so in a year or two.

Keep in mind, the draft is about selecting potential and none are guaranteed to be stars at this level (remember the can't miss prospect Aaron Curry?).
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:52 pm

In the draft I predict we draft a CB who can play football @ CB position almost as good as Sherman.

Of course not as good but almost he will be an every down DB . There are a few great ones that will be there on the board. I predict we draft him @ # 26 1st round in April when we are on the clock.

I think the need for a good CB is greater than the need for an OT. Also a Center as good as Max Unger was is needed. Then for need we have DL , LB, and SS , FS . Taking in all these needs none is more critical than CB , IMHO.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Drafting a CB is a good bet because we are getting thin at exceptional athletes there. I'm not convinced a Center is required unless they think they will let Britt go after this year, but I never predict their draft right so who knows?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 pm

IF Sherm goes down the road we would have 2 first rounders, like most of you, I would expect one of them to be a DB and the other to be an OL.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 pm

The Legion is aging a bit, and they definitely have racked up a lot of collective miles, to say nothing about Sherman's situation (one which sees him stay, imo).

As much as the broken record plays for the OL, I think you get the best CB if we stick at #26, which could also see us trade out of that pick entirely, as is customary for our franchise:)

Fortunately, this is a deep draft defensively, so perhaps the order of those 2 options isn't as key this spring.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 pm

obiken wrote:IF Sherm goes down the road we would have 2 first rounders, like most of you, I would expect one of them to be a DB and the other to be an OL.

so, what you're saying is... our first pick would be a defensive end and the other first rounder a wide reciever. That's the Seahawks way! I want to know what we're doing with the 2nd and the 3 - 3rd round picks. That day will be a blast, unless we trade them.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:12 am

obiken wrote:IF Sherm goes down the road we would have 2 first rounders, like most of you, I would expect one of them to be a DB and the other to be an OL.

We might not get a first rounder for Sherman if a trade is consummated. Word is that the market for Sherman has been dropping.

We have some pretty good draft capital to work with even without a Sherman trade as we have 5 picks in the top 105, and the draft is supposedly very deep in defensive backs. I expect us to pick up a starting quality CB via the draft.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 am

Just the other day, JS said he didn't view this draft to be as deep as last year.
With all of the apparent physical and measurable requirements, maybe the thought in the draft room is the pool for the Seahawks is a mile deep but an inch wide, meaning they think there are only a few players they really think highly of but they are expected to be gone by our 1st or maybe 2nd pick.
But then it might just be pre draft talk as part of the normal draft deceptions.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 am

The talent in this draft class just might be in the players who go undrafted. Unless you really think a particular draft pick will ultimately make your team there in no use in drafting him in the first place, may as well trade 'em.

The key will be how much depth Schneider will be able to add, every season a huge part of the battle is attrition. The Seahawk Defense I saw after SB 49 was limping and hobbled and quite frankly has not been quite the same. Our guys had left it all on the field.

he tires on the LOB are worn, worn thin in some places. A couple of younger, hungrier, hard hitters would be most welcome. Always need to keep a quality rotation in the D-Line, I expect Clark to take yet another big step in his development, superstardom is directly around the corner.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Britt beasted at Center and surprised most of us, but it seems he found a home there, so I hope he keeps that up. We drafted Hunt last year at C so I think we're good there. Backup QB may be addressed somehow with Boneheaded Boykin wanting to spend more time in jail than on a football field. Problem is this draft is almost devoid of QB.

We also need to address the SAM position and there are several candidates that might be available in the 2nd round.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Most center prospects are also guard prospects ... I'd be surprised if we drafted a pure center, but not necessarily someone that may be listed as a center on some sites. Pete and Cable value versatility.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Looking at all DB prospects, there are a few that need to be mentioned. However, Pete actually attended Adoree Jacksons Pro Day workout while Richard was over at UCLA looking at Fabian Moreaeu.

the Hawks draft DB's with long arms, both of these guys are below the 32" they seek, However, Jackson has that superstar potential.

Going outside the box, looking at other possibilities is a fun thin to do.

Jourdan Lewis is another that fits into the shorter arm category, however, the guys tape is awesome. He's a DOG. Dude is a run support animal. Not huge but man, he's a beast. Check out his tape.

I would also not sleep on Chidobe Awuzie. I'm talking SLOT CB here. This guy would be a huge asset to the Hawks secondary.

This team obviously need more pass rushing ability as well. It seems like teams have forever to throw against us, and we're getting old up front except for Clark.

How about Chris Wormley from Michigan. He screams SEAHAWK.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Awuzie has all of the measurables, so he might be one of those on the list of options.

I understand why they want players that fit certain athletic standards, but sometimes there are guys that can just play ball. A guy like John Randle who was thought too small as a DT to be drafted but ended up in the HoF comes to mind.
I hope we don't miss out on some otherwise good players because they don't meet some standard of measures.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Me too Northhawk.

I just find it very interesting that this draft is loaded with what the Hawks need. It's really cool.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Largent80 wrote:Me too Northhawk.

I just find it very interesting that this draft is loaded with what the Hawks need. It's really cool.

It's not loaded with OT's, which is (not too) arguably our greatest need.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:41 am

Ryan Ramczyk is often touted as the best OT in the draft, but I think teams may be scared off because of his surgery. The big question is can he stay healthy in the NFL considering he only had 1 year in major college football before injuring his hip.

Bolles also only had 1 year, but he's healthy and looks to have all of the athleticism and attitude to be able to play at this level. He's not as polished as players we used to see as the best OT's like Pace and Jones were but we're not going to see those types very much anymore and there's no reason to think he can't become a solid starting Tackle on either side of the ball for the next 8 - 10 years. With teams saying there are no good Offensive Linemen coming out of the college ranks, the few that show they can play at a high level may be considered value picks even if they don't stack up against what we used to see as top draftable linemen.
I wouldn't object if we took him at 26. He could be molded into a very solid lineman in short order and improve our otherwise woeful Offensive LIne.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:32 pm

We can get Moton in a later round (3rd?)

This is a defensive draft at a time when we really need it. Not like we dont need OL, but I look for improvement from that young group from last year.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:42 am

Pete wants competition at every position. We don't know how the OL FA's will turn out. We know Joeckel didn't play well at LT and hadn't played much at G before getting injured so he's a bit of an unknown. Aboushi has bounced around for the 3 previous years and Seattle will be his 4th team in 4 years, so I don't know what's to be made of him. This means we have players, but potentially not much of an upgrade of ability.

I can see them adding someone like Moton or maybe Bisnowaty for RT, and/or possibly adding one of Siragusa or Asiata at Guard all depending on how the draft falls.
Schneider recently said he didn't think this draft is particularly deep from his perspective so that just might mean an Offensive Lineman earlier than what otherwise might be expected.
If there is a run on QB's, CB's, and Safety's early it might push a player like Bolles or Ramczyk to us or maybe they like Forrest Lamp for Guard.
With the injury to Ramczyk, I doubt they would take him as they don't know how he would fit in their athletic requirements formula and only film to make a decision.

But what do I know is they have surprised me every draft except the first one.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 pm

We have a LT in Joekel but we still need OT help in the draft. Free agency has been good to us so far. My favorite pick up has been Grayson he runs a 4.33 40 for crying out loud.

Guess what. ? If Dallas goes 13-3 and we can , with this improved Seattle team. If we can make 12-4 or 13-3. I think we are going to the Super Bowl !!!

That makes the draft very critical to our chances of getting a championship.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:58 am

Joeckel didn't play well at LT previously so why would he suddenly do so here? Maybe a better system fit, but what I've read he is expected to be competing for LG.
Who knows though with Pete saying he wants last years OL remaining intact then getting players to replace those from last year. If Joeckel and Aboushi both become starters and Ifedi moves to RT we will have another 60% restructure of the OL and most likely another year of poor play, at least early in the year. We have more competition so far, but I'm not convinced it is a big upgrade in talent therefor it wouldn't surprise me if a RT or Guard is selected in the draft within the first 3 rounds.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 am

I'm thinking day 2 for the Hawks will be where they make some trades. JS has said he doesn't think this draft is that good on the back half and they have 3 third round picks, no 4th or 5th.

It would make sense to package a couple of those 3rds for a second and get a targeted player.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 am

Largent80 wrote:I'm thinking day 2 for the Hawks will be where they make some trades. JS has said he doesn't think this draft is that good on the back half and they have 3 third round picks, no 4th or 5th.

It would make sense to package a couple of those 3rds for a second and get a targeted player.

Not only do we have 3 third round picks, they're bunched together at #90, #102 and #106, plus we have a huge gap between #106 at the end of the third and #210 in the 6th, so I'd be shocked if we didn't take advantage of the new rule change and trade at least one of those compensatory picks for a couple of picks in the 4th and/or 5th.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:49 am

Schneider was talking about him seeing this draft as being top heavy, and he said it might be to our advantage but I wonder where he sees the cutoff line.
Maybe he thinks the talent drops off part way through the 4th round from a value perspective and then picks up late where he seems to select the better athletes over proven talent.
On the other hand, he may have been talking about the top 35 picks before the dropoff.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:14 am

90-100 is a popular cutoff line from what i read.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am

90 - 100 isn't really to our advantage, but maybe he's thinking of moving up to get 3 players that can compete to start.
As well, the player types our FO looks for are often different than many other teams (or at least the media perception of what other teams look for), so that may change where JS thinks that line is.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 pm

I feel we need to get an additional 2nd rounder. The hell with 3-7 rounds, and sign UDFA

We can get 3 quality players with 3 picks in 1-2, and maybe even 1 in the 3rd.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:06 am

Largent80 wrote:I feel we need to get an additional 2nd rounder. The hell with 3-7 rounds, and sign UDFA

We can get 3 quality players with 3 picks in 1-2, and maybe even 1 in the 3rd.

I agree with this thought. Our roster is still relatively deep. We need 2 or 3 players that can contribute now vs. some more projects or long shots.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:45 am

Nothing is guaranteed with draft picks (sure thing Aaron Curry or 5th round Richard Sherman), so the thinking must be that the more picks you have, the better the odds of one or more being able to contribute.
I'm torn between the 2 sides, though as I think there are going to be a few players available when our pick is up that could contribute early but in the end teams are only selecting potential and there is a big leap of faith factoring into any draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Who knows who will fall as far as #26, but one thing is certain, a good player always falls for whatever reason.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:38 am

I don't remember a draft that had so many options available after the top 10 all the way into the 3rd or maybe 4th round.
Every draft has levels or tiers where there is a significant change in the known talent but this year seems to have a large group that could be 1st or 2nd round values and then later 2nd or 3rd round values.
It's not as clearly defined as I have previously seen or understood.
I think this year will be very interesting to see who goes where and we may see more than a few surprises.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 pm

This is a pretty good site. Check it out.

http://www.draftanalyst.com/
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum