Draft Day Thoughts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Draft Day Thoughts

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am

Some thoughts about some of those who might be in play for our 1st pick. I think King will be one of the first 3 CB's selected in this draft but with so much doubt in this draft and all of the options, who knows what will happen?
Those mentioned are in no particular order and is only a partial list.

If we go Offensive Line:

First let's look at what happened last year and who has been added.

Unsettled at RT and extremely raw LT meant pretty much a disaster up front.
Pete said his preference in the off season was to keep the OL intact so they can grow together.
Additions:
Joeckel
Aboushi

What we know:
Joeckel couldn't play well enough for a 2nd contract at LT in Jacksonville and only played 5
games at G. The FO said they thought he looked pretty good at Guard, but he will probably be
competing with Fant for LT as we have less competition for LT.

Aboushi has played 4 years for 4 different teams. Pete said recently Aboushi could play
both T and G but with the dearth of talent along the OL in the NFL, how good could he be?

Possible Draft Picks

Garrett Bolles

Only a 1 year starter at Utah.
I see him as only a LT in our system.
If we look back at how our OL has been designed, we see they want a nasty hulk at RT.
Consider the best the OL has played was when we had Breno at RT, after letting him walk,
they tried Carpenter who ended up at Guard, then it was Britt who also went to Guard and is
now the starting Center. They then signed Webb who washed out.
All these guys are big nasty players, so there is a pattern.
Bolles is nasty and plays sometimes through the whistle, but he isn't the huge hulk they seem
to like. He's more of a LT in our system, and if selected, that's where he would compete.

Ryan Ramczyk

Only a 1 year starter at Wisconsin.
Comes from a good OL program, but required surgery on his hip and is only a LT.
Do they risk a 1st round pick on a player they hadn't worked out and who isn't healed?
I doubt it, but he does have a good upside if healthy.

Taylor Moton if we trade down into a high 2nd round pick.

Natural RT who has a mean streak and the size our FO likes.
Might be able to slide to Guard if required.
Mayock has said he could start day one on most teams (fwiw).

If we go Defense:

Pete said at his end of year press conference he wants a starting caliber LB to take the
pressure off of Wagner and Wright as well as Secondary help. He also mentioned pass rush
earlier this year.

So what happened last year?

LB

Wagner and Wright both played in at least 97% of the plays. That's too much to sustain in
the long term.

New Additions:

Arthur Brown
Michael Wilhoite

Both are 5 year veterans who have started in the NFL. They may be able to fill in temporarily
but might end up mostly used on ST. Probably provides some insurance.

Secondary

We all know about ET's injury and the dropoff in production afterwards as well as Sherman's
issues with the team.

Additions:

Parrish Cox
Demetrius McCray

Both are veterans, with Cox arriving with some significant baggage. He's also 30 years old
and has been a ST or reserve the last couple of years.
McCray played 3 years in Jacksonville and has some of the length the team likes. He might
have something to add if our coaches are better than the Jags.

Possible Draft Picks

TJ Watt LB

Has a lot to offer. Brother of JJ who says TJ is a better football player than he was at
this age. Super quick and explosive with very good speed. He can come off the edge, cover
a TE, or play inside LB. He's like a more athletic Clay Matthews and has the same intangibles
in that he lives for the game.

Obi Melifonwu S/CB/LB

A huge DB who has short area quickness, long speed, massive length, and great explosion.
He can play FS, SS, CB, or a Deon Buccanon type LB if wanted.
At 6-4, 225 he still has the quickness to cover the Amendola type slot WRs, the size to
cover Tight Ends, and the speed to cover WR's like AJ Green. He also has the range that
ET shows for a Safety and the size of Kam without the physical presence.
Teams might have a question of where to play him as he can be a true Jack of all Trades.
In the NFL, where matchups are becoming more important every year, he could shut down one
of the Offensive weapons on an opposing Offense. We sure could have used him a couple of
years ago when the Bengals TE (Eifert?) kept gashing us and we couldn't stop him.

Adoree Jackson CB/KR/PR/WR

Smaller than we like at DB, but he can change the game with a big play and has true track speed
on the field. Any time he gets the ball in his hands he has a good chance to make a big play.
He has great ball instincts and is explosive enough to recover and make a play on the ball when
he looks out of position. Can cover slot receivers and traditional WRs.
With Lockett recovering from injury and Pete's love of game changers, he could fill a need.

Kevin King CB

Physical prototype of what Seattle likes at CB. Long and tall, he compares phyically to
Richard Sherman but with better speed. He's also very quick for his size so he could like
Melifonwu cover smaller slot receivers, TE's, or WR's. He's 6-3 200lbs but was the fastest
in the 20 yd shuttle (of the top CB prospects) by a signifiant margin and ran a 4.43 40.
Washington teaches a similar DB technique to the Hawks so he should be able to slide into
a starting role quite quickly.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Draft Day Thoughts

Postby Largent80 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 am

Adoree Jackson PLEASE !!!!!!

I watched his whole college career and with Lane moving across from Sherman (as I type this) we need a dynamic playmaker in the slot and for those seam routes.

He is a ballhawk, makes incredible plays. Is a holy TERROR on kick returns.

His height is his only draw back but he has the athleticism to make up for that in spades.

I may explode an alien out of my chest if they get him.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

No Idea who Eric Galco or Zach Whitman are but FWIW:
Eric Galko‏Verified account @OptimumScouting Apr 26
More
Eric Galko Retweeted Zach Whitman
From all I've heard, I'd be VERY surprised if #Seahawks didn't go OL in the first. Very surprised.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:13 pm

I stuck the names in my search engine and apparently Galko works for The Sporting News and is the founder and director of Optimum Scouting.
Whitman writes for 3 Sigma Athlete which does a lot of the SPARQ evaluations and comparisons.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:08 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I stuck the names in my search engine and apparently Galko works for The Sporting News and is the founder and director of Optimum Scouting.
Whitman writes for 3 Sigma Athlete which does a lot of the SPARQ evaluations and comparisons.

Sounds legit.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 pm

We have a lot of good Defensive players still on the board at 13th still, guys that just make plays like Allen of Alabama.
obiken
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:00 am

How many picks do we have on Saturday is it still 10. Wow, just wow. We need some help at LT and my favourite who is. Chad Wheeler center of USC . He can play guard or tackle and a damn good C t
as well.

I m sure they see Wheeler center of USC and want to start him over Britt.

So cheer up we can still win the day.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 pm

I am going stir crazy waiting for the draft to begin on the third day today.

Does anyone know where I can watch the whole draft this evening, using my smart phone ?

I am not able to go out and find a sports bar. My cell phone is working good and I am very happy with it. Writing this post using my smart phone. So does anyone know where I can watch the whole draft using my smart phone ?

Please respond with the address for the draft website. Thanks for the response to my post here on hawk shack.

Political Football. Go Seahawks !!!!!!
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Mike Tyson ... thweet! How many thafeties we gonna draft?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm

politicalfootball wrote:I am going stir crazy waiting for the draft to begin on the third day today.

Does anyone know where I can watch the whole draft this evening, using my smart phone ?

I am not able to go out and find a sports bar. My cell phone is working good and I am very happy with it. Writing this post using my smart phone. So does anyone know where I can watch the whole draft using my smart phone ?

Please respond with the address for the draft website. Thanks for the response to my post here on hawk shack.

Political Football. Go Seahawks !!!!!!

Dude, we're already in the 6th round ... I'm following on the MSN Sports website because the names of the picks are more easier to C&P to my spreadsheet.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:09 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Mike Tyson ... thweet! How many thafeties we gonna draft?

No its strategy, Safeties are new convertible lineman!
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum