2017 NFL DRAFT

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: 2017 NFL DRAFT

Postby Anthony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:13 pm

NorthHawk wrote:
The other problem is they don't keep the ones they successfully develop to help provide continuity. It looks like Britt will be the next one out the door if Posic is moved to Center. If they don't extend Britt this year it will tell us that's the basic plan.
Unfortunately, OL isn't an area where you can plug 5 different guys in and expect them to play at a high level immediately. It usually takes a couple of years to reach their full promise.

no problem, what the worse that can happen we lose are QB no problem at all. sarcasm off
Anthony
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:18 am

The other problem is they don't keep the ones they successfully develop to help provide continuity. It looks like Britt will be the next one out the door if Posic is moved to Center. If they don't extend Britt this year it will tell us that's the basic plan.
Unfortunately, OL isn't an area where you can plug 5 different guys in and expect them to play at a high level immediately. It usually takes a couple of years to reach their full promise.

I agree, I think that is what this move is all about is planning for his departure. I see GI and Britt as our only decent Lineman that's it. I have given up on PC and JS's ability to address the OL. The great experiment failed, they know that. JJ is a joke that's why they shipped him out, EP is a huge body but where is going to play? Lamp and Robinson were better prospects. Robinson would have allowed us a chance to solidify the LT position. Lamp would have given you the best chance for mobility. A WR? really, we got a boatload of WR's we need the shotgun effect on the OL we get a pee shooter again.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:32 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:@Anthony
If it weren't for cables talents making a mix and match of OL that severely lacks talent into something somewhat usable, we would be much worse off. Cable has been a saving grace of sorts.

I have not seen anything that impresses me about Tom Cable. Perhaps it's because of a league wide problem with the lack of talent coming out of the colleges, but his talent appraisal and/or procurement has not proven to be very good. Of all the OL's that he's brought through here, we haven't signed a single one to a second contract, and now with the drafting of a center in the 2nd round, we could be preparing for another one and done. And it's not as if he's never been given anything to work with. Here we go again, dedicating a top draft pick to an OL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:27 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Whoa Tony, I was only stating what our philosophy seems to be, I wasn't advocating it. Believe me, other teams seem to be able to draft O-Linemen in the first 3 rounds and have them be productive if not thrive, I don't see why our team can't do it.

Come on, we ALL know this is because one of Pete's weaknesses is he doesn't really understand the offensive si8de of the ball. He is like the opposite of Holmgren who didn't understand defense or defensive players. It has always baffled me how a coach (like Holmgren) could understand how to pick apart a defense but couldn't design a defense to save his life(or job).

Pete don't understand offense, its sad really. It actually physically hurts to watch Pete have to depend on an idiot like Bevell and know he is NEVER going to fire him and so our offense will always be anemic until Pete leaves, and who wants THAT?? It hurt to watch Holmgren as the Hawks sank into mediocrity. I have warned that the same thing could happen to Pete and company IF Pete continues to double down on the Bevell madness.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Pete doesn't understand offense, but it's definitely his Achilles heal. But as far as the comparison to HoImgren goes, he spends a heck of a lot more time with his offense than Holmgren did with his defense.

We used to get into a lot of debates back in the old PI forum about the wisdom of the HC calling his own offensive plays. Holmgren used to have his nose buried so deep into that Denny's menu of his that he didn't have a clue as to how his defense was progressing. He seemed to me to be distant and out of touch with his guys on defense. Pete, on the other hand, is always there for his offense, slapping hands with them after a scoring drive, participates in some of the decision making, and can be seen on the sidelines communicating with his players on offense. You never saw Holmgren do anything similar with his guys on D.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:08 am

Holmy had too many projects and drafted too many players that drive fans crazy they were average. Locklear, Womack, Tapp, etc etc. You keep thinking average gets better but they never do.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:23 am

I have not seen anything that impresses me about Tom Cable. Perhaps it's because of a league wide problem with the lack of talent coming out of the colleges, but his talent appraisal and/or procurement has not proven to be very good. Of all the OL's that he's brought through here, we haven't signed a single one to a second contract, and now with the drafting of a center in the 2nd round, we could be preparing for another one and done. And it's not as if he's never been given anything to work with. Here we go again, dedicating a top draft pick to an OL

If you look at NE, their OL coach Dante Scarnecchia retired for a year and their OL was a mess, then when he came back and they won a Super Bowl. They kept most of their OL whereas Cable has developed some OL who are starters at the NFL level, only to see our FO let them walk. This OL might not be as bad as it is if at least 2 were kept, so I don't think it's all on him. He just hasn't seen the fruit of his labor.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:30 am

Tedric works for me! I almost had him on my 3 deep but left him off cause I thought we might be scared off by his medical issues (concussions are kind of a big deal just now...)
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:10 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Tedric works for me! I almost had him on my 3 deep but left him off cause I thought we might be scared off by his medical issues (concussions are kind of a big deal just now...)

I thought about him, too but I figured with so many good Safety's in this draft we would take one or 2 earlier. I should have known though because we rarely take a DB before the 4th round.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:26 pm

I like all these picks especially Jones out NC, its just that we needed OLineman, bad. They all look like big, tough guys that want to play football.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Finally a freakin tackle!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Justin Senior OT Mississippi St.
Edit: 6'5 335 lbs
He might be our massive RT of the future.

Here's a breakdown from NFLDraftScout:

STRENGTHS: Senior looks the part with a prototypical frame including excellent overall weight distribution and long arms (33 7/8"). He possesses the light feet, balance and natural knee bend necessary to mirror edge rushers in pass protection, showing good initial quickness to gain depth on his kick-slide. Senior's long arms and impressive upper body strength help him to lock on and control rushers. When he gets his hands latched, it is often game-over for edge rushers, including those looking to bull rush him as Senior shows the core flexibility and stout anchor to hold up. He is an effective drive blocker, generating movement at the point of attack due to effective hand placement and leg drive. He is quick enough for the down block and in getting to the second level to project as a possible zone blocker, as well. Senior comes with excellent intangibles, not missing a game due to injury over his career and earning a spot on the SEC's Honor Roll three consecutive years for his academics. He earned his undergraduate degree in sociology in summer 2015 and did course work for a second degree in political science as a senior.

WEAKNESSES: Senior remains raw in some areas, including simply being late off the snap (including while playing at home). His tendency to be tardy off the ball makes him vulnerable to speed rushers and Senior can react poorly in these instances, flailing his arms out in a late desperate attempt to slow opponents. Senior is quick enough to get to the second level but often looks lost once there, lacking ideal awareness and anticipation at this time. Further, he lacks an accurate strike zone with his initial punch, especially when run blocking at the second level, lunging at defenders with his hands often shooting too low and leaving him off-balance.
IN OUR VIEW: As a native Canadian, he is eligible for the CFL draft but Senior has NFL-caliber talent. He was part of a physical offensive line built for running the ball and he projects well in a similar scheme at the next level, displaying the size, power and athleticism to compete for early playing time, though some growing pains should be expected.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:50 pm

NorthHawk wrote:If you look at NE, their OL coach Dante Scarnecchia retired for a year and their OL was a mess, then when he came back and they won a Super Bowl. They kept most of their OL whereas Cable has developed some OL who are starters at the NFL level, only to see our FO let them walk. This OL might not be as bad as it is if at least 2 were kept, so I don't think it's all on him. He just hasn't seen the fruit of his labor.

We don't know who's decision it was to let our OL walk. It could very well have been Cable that made the decision to cut bait, that Player X wasn't worth a 2nd contract. I would like to think that our coaches have at least some input on contractual decisions.

I'm not necessarily saying that Cable is horrible. I'm saying that I have seen very little evidence of his appraisal of talent and/or player development.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:11 pm

"letting players walk" is only one side of the coin. As with Sweezy, Carpenter, Okung and others, they were offered contracts, but chose to walk away, either because they didn't want to be here anymore or someone outbid us for their services. Cap or otherwise, we don't keep them.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:49 pm

I agree with letting Sweezy go as he was at best average and TB overpaid. Carpenter was only cap hits of around 5-7 million which is about double our last year's entire OL cost with obvious results. Breno, if I remember correctly got about 5 million and we've been looking for a big RT ever since.

The point is we have to re-sign some of the players we develop or our OL will always be bad. It's not plug and play for 40 - 60% of the line which needs continuity to play consistently well or at least average. You can get away with that in other position groups that don't need that precision as a group, but it doesn't end well on the OL. This year it looks like another 2 or 3 changes again (because of letting players go in prior years), so I expect some troubles up front early in the year. Maybe the Veteran additions can help steady the ship, but it's going to be a challenge for them.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:05 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:"letting players walk" is only one side of the coin. As with Sweezy, Carpenter, Okung and others, they were offered contracts, but chose to walk away, either because they didn't want to be here anymore or someone outbid us for their services. Cap or otherwise, we don't keep them.

I'm not sure if we even made a competitive offer to any of those guys.

I pretty much agree with North Hawk's take. I can understand not re-signing every OL whose contract is up, but at some point, one of them has to be good enough to keep. It's been a revolving door, and as NH states, the OL is one place where that philosophy doesn't work.

That's one of the reasons why my radar popped up when I saw that we took a center with our 2nd pick. Are we already anticipating not resigning Britt next season?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:41 pm

They labeled Pocic a Tackle when the selected him so maybe they intend to try him at RT beside Ifedi. That would keep at least 2 players in the same positions instead of moving or changing up to 4.
They also got a huge RT late from Mississippi State and maybe they will have some type of a "jumbo" package on the right side in certain situations.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Myles Garrett, no surprise to Mel Kiper. UGH, I hate it when he is right.

Read his guide on Wilson, large hands, leader type, accurate, mobile, and only runs to get guys open. IF he was 6-3, he would be a 1 pick, period. He rated Ben, Manning, and Rivers, all as Franchise QB's. I admit I got his guide and I had a man crush on him, but usually Mel is right. Sure, he was wrong and Aaron Curry, but so was I and everyone else. Body like Tarzan, played like Jane.
obiken
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum