Now that the draft is over,...

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Now that the draft is over,...

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:37 pm

...do we sign a FA quarterback to compete with Boykin?

Krapperdick, Cutler, Gabbert, RG3, Gabbert, and Fitzpatrick are all former starting quarterbacks that are all still available. Do we sign one of them?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Now that the draft is over,...

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 pm

How about Sefo Liufau from Colorado St?
He's an UFA.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:55 pm

RiverDog wrote:...do we sign a FA quarterback to compete with Boykin?

Krapperdick, Cutler, Gabbert, RG3, Gabbert, and Fitzpatrick are all former starting quarterbacks that are all still available. Do we sign one of them?

Gabbert would be the cheapest and the best. RG3, I believe is a Brown, I could be wrong. Cutler would be a great backup but he would cost way too much. Krapper? No way.
obiken
Legacy

Postby ACES 13 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Krapperdick, Cutler, Gabbert, RG3, Gabbert, and Fitzpatrick

Why Riv ?
Please explain the upside to signing any one of these guys ...
Not one is an upgrade to our current B/U QB.

So pick up trash for ...
ACES 13
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:42 pm

the bottom line is -- If Russell gets hurt and is not playing there's a very huge chance we are done anyway, even with the best of those lousy choices, which is Cutler, by leaps and bounds. Do we even have 5m in cap space?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:05 am

Did anyone grab Chad Kelly yet , he would be great. My pick for the QOTF after RW is in the HOF with several more SB wins.

Boykin is at best a game manager. We are going to get us a Wilson replacement if not this year then next year.

Don't worry river we are going to be fine at QB barring injuries.

Beauty effects all of the stars of the show's
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 am

Kelly was drafted by the Broncos with the last pick of the draft. He's this years Mr. Irrelevant.

I think Kapaernick would do fine here. He wouldn't have to win games all by himself like he tried to do the last couple of years and he has the mobility and experience that could help.
However, I doubt he would ever get on the field which might frustrate him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think Kapaernick would do fine here. He wouldn't have to win games all by himself like he tried to do the last couple of years and he has the mobility and experience that could help.
However, I doubt he would ever get on the field which might frustrate him.

I agree. The reasons he'd fit in are all pretty good: he clearly has support in the locker room, his style is close enough to Wilson's that he'd make sense from a scheme perspective, as a backup he could stay out of the limelight a bit (which would be for the best for him), and he's shown that he has it in him to be a dangerous QB.

But the reasons he wouldn't work are also good: he wants to be a starter (not smart, if you ask me) and, most importantly, he wants too much money.

On the political stuff, I know I'm in the minority but I supported him and so wouldn't be bothered by his protests. (I don't want to hijack the thread to get into that, but it is relevant to the question so I note it.)
Oly
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:58 pm

I agree. The reasons he'd fit in are all pretty good: he clearly has support in the locker room, his style is close enough to Wilson's that he'd make sense from a scheme perspective, as a backup he could stay out of the limelight a bit (which would be for the best for him), and he's shown that he has it in him to be a dangerous QB.

But the reasons he wouldn't work are also good: he wants to be a starter (not smart, if you ask me) and, most importantly, he wants too much money.

On the political stuff, I know I'm in the minority but I supported him and so wouldn't be bothered by his protests. (I don't want to hijack the thread to get into that, but it is relevant to the question so I note it.)

NO, His mechanics are shot and we dont need the problems, besides too much money.
obiken
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:21 pm

First Names of the UDFA's are in:

Seattle Seahawks

FB Algernon Brown, QB Skyler Howard, LB Otha Peters, WR Darreus Rogers, OL Jordan Roos, TE Tyrone Swoopes

Here's another link with more information:

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/274409/seahawks-udfa-additions-include-wvu-qb-skyler-howard-purdue-ol-jordan-roos/

... and to make a few of us out there feel real, real old today:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1928 ... free-agent
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Check out Skylar Howard - a QB UFA we signed.
He's built like Russell and can move as well, but what an arm on this kid. Not only strong, but he has good touch, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ttEF4MJrrM
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanx for posting the UDFA's we have signed, so far. This is the part of the draft that I was most looking forward to because as much as John & Pete have excelled in rounds 3-6 it is the area of finding those "gems in the rough" that they really excel at.

OK, now I will get on the internet and look up these new players and get to knw them so I know who they are when the OTA's and TC starts. I hate saying to myself, "who is THAT guy"??
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 04, 2017 9:29 am

Is there anyone on the roster who can run back kicks and punts?
ET and Sherm were not the answers, but I was wondering if anyone of the draftees or UFA's had experience in that role.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri May 05, 2017 7:29 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Is there anyone on the roster who can run back kicks and punts?
ET and Sherm were not the answers, but I was wondering if anyone of the draftees or UFA's had experience in that role.

Isn't Paul Richardson a kick returner? If he's not, he should be.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Maybe, but I don't remember him playing that role. It might just be me forgetting.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 07, 2017 6:11 am

NorthHawk wrote:Maybe, but I don't remember him playing that role. It might just be me forgetting.

So who returned kickoffs after Lockett got hurt? Didn't Kearse start returning punts once Lockett went down?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 am

They signed Hester.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:38 am

Sherman returned punts after Lockett went down.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Didn't Kearse return a kickoff for a TD in preseason one year? Between him and Richardson I'd think we'd have two decent candidates for returners.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:Didn't Kearse return a kickoff for a TD in preseason one year? Between him and Richardson I'd think we'd have two decent candidates for returners.

I seem to remember him returning one. Baldwin did a pretty good job (except for a bad fumble in the NFCCG vs the Pack) at returning kickoffs over the years, although you don't really want to put your #1 receiver back there if you don't have to.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 08, 2017 5:00 am

Old but Slow wrote:Didn't they try Earl back there briefly to return punts, and then Sherman, and I think they may have considered Russell Wilson for the role until wiser heads prevailed. It is a real benefit to have a talented return man rather than risking the best athletes to try to do what they do not regularly do. Even asking Walters to just catch the ball and fall down is better than making the play a great risk each time.

Cyril Grayson is an interesting possibility. He has not played football since high school, but was a sprinter at LSU, and ran wide receiver drills at the LSU pro day and Seattle signed him on the spot, virtually, as he was not subject to combine and such since he never played football in college. Great story about it at the Seahawks web site, as they follow the scout that signed him. Great speed and very athletic. The next Bob Hayes?

Earl was a disaster returning punts, refused to fair catch in heavy traffic, fumbled a couple of times. That experiment didn't last more than a couple of games. Especially considering that he's coming off a major injury, he'd be the last person I'd put up against the firing wall.

Speed isn't really as much of a consideration IMO. My first priority is ball security and good decision making (fair catch, return it, let it bounce). Fumbling a punt almost always results in giving away points as the majority are fielded inside the 35. I doubt that a person that hasn't played the game since high school is going to be blessed with such skills, but I guess that's one of the reasons why we have preseason games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon May 08, 2017 5:11 am

RiverDog wrote:Speed isn't really as much of a consideration IMO. My first priority is ball security and good decision making (fair catch, return it, let it bounce). Fumbling a punt almost always results in giving away points as the majority are fielded inside the 35. I doubt that a person that hasn't played the game since high school is going to be blessed with such skills, but I guess that's one of the reasons why we have preseason games.

1. Ability to catch
2. Ability to hang on when getting hit
3. Decision making

4. Speed

5. A little bit of crazy
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon May 08, 2017 5:16 am

On kick offs especially, speeds counts. A lot.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 08, 2017 6:48 am

c_hawkbob wrote:On kick offs especially, speeds counts. A lot.

Yea, there isn't as much decision making in on kickoffs as there is on punts, and you don't have to worry about getting clobbered the moment you touch the ball.

But nevertheless, at least in my book, you have to have the intangibles first, ie ball security and decision making, things that can only be acquired by actual game experience, before a person can be trusted returning kicks or punts. I wouldn't trust the ball with someone that's relatively new to the game on punts or kickoffs.

Who was that slow white guy, a backup safety, that we had returning punts a few years back after Tate left? Walters maybe? You can't tell me that there were less than 6-7 players on our roster with better speed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby ACES 13 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:52 am

Walters maybe?

YEP white guy. Brian Walters, bu WR AND ... defacto PR. Do Not Drop The ball !!!

Did his job and got cut!

Why would you quetion his talent when he did as asked?
ACES 13
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 am

ACES 13 wrote:YEP white guy. Brian Walters, bu WR AND ... defacto PR. Do Not Drop The ball !!!

Did his job and got cut!

Why would you quetion his talent when he did as asked?

Yes, he did what he was asked to, which was to make good decisions and secure the ball. Any yardage gained was considered frosting on the cake. That's why I brought him up as he had the prerequisites to being a good PR. Speed doesn't matter if you can't do as a minimum the job Walters did. But that doesn't mean that he shouldn't have gotten cut when we drafted a guy like Lockett that could do the same thing Walters did and then some. Lockett was an offensive weapon both as a returner and receiver whereas Walters wasn't.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum