2017 Musings

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

2017 Musings

Postby Largent80 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:38 pm

With all the new draft picks (even last years) , this new squad doesn't even know or care about XLIX.

I'm tired of hearing about the last play and want the entire thing buried.

It's past time to move on.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: 2017 Musings

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri May 05, 2017 5:39 am

Ignoring it or wishing it away simply isn't going to work. It was as important a play as any in the history of this team and it's effects aren't easily overcome. That play is why Lynch is gone and is the primary source of discontent for Sherman. There is still a very influential, very important group of players on this team that carry at least some degree of resentment about that play. It won't be put to rest until we win another SB or until all the players from XLIX are gone.

We're still an elite team and we still have as good a shot at the title as any team in the league, but that play is still a hurdle for us. It just is.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:57 am

That bonehead play will haunt you until you win another SB. Which won't be soon. Sort of like the Bills losing 4 times in a row and never recovered.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri May 05, 2017 7:24 am

Largent80 wrote:With all the new draft picks (even last years) , this new squad doesn't even know or care about XLIX.

The rookies will know all about it, but won't have the same pain or maybe the drive that could inspire some of the veterans to erase it with another SB win.
Enough time has passed for some callouses to have formed, but it will always haunt those that went through it. At least it wasn't as bad as Atlanta which
might give some solace.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 am

Why does no one point out the SF/Balt SB. If I recall SF could have won that game but Kap tried to throw a pass on 4th down last play of the game which failed. He probably could have run it in.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am

Uppercut wrote:Why does no one point out the SF/Balt SB. If I recall SF could have won that game but Kap tried to throw a pass on 4th down last play of the game which failed. He probably could have run it in.

Because this is a Seahawks message board. I imagine it's still quite the bone of contention on Niners boards.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 am

Because this is a Seahawks message board. I imagine it's still quite the bone of contention on Niners boards.

I was not referring to this board, I should have clarified better my confusion is with the media mainly as they seem to be the ones that keep it going
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 am

Because it's the Pats and Golden Boy Brady.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am

Uppercut wrote:I was not referring to this board, I should have clarified better my confusion is with the media mainly as they seem to be the ones that keep it going

I see. I think the media in general is in 'be nice to Kap' mode since he's seen as a tool for social change. They made a point for a good while that he wasn't getting a job more because he's a one trick pony and NFL defenses have caught up to that trick than his social position, but they are otherwise pretty much leaving him alone.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:05 am

Sherman seems to be the only one that has publicly made an issue of one single play, which, by the way, did NOT lose the SB. Blowing a huge lead blew the game.

All I'm saying is that there are plenty of new faces that are going to become the new nucleus of the team going forward and it can't come soon enough.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri May 05, 2017 11:13 am

This has the feel of a "soft rebuild". Some teams dump the whole load and takes 3-4 years to recover, or more in the case of the Rams and others. However we are doing it like NE has it working. Just hope we can be as effective.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Fri May 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Seattle must win another Super Bowl under the current regime to eradicate the demon. Otherwise, Bevfool's boneheaded slant from the one will forever taint/diminish the legacy that was the Carroll/Schneider Seahawks.....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri May 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Uppercut wrote:Why does no one point out the SF/Balt SB. If I recall SF could have won that game but Kap tried to throw a pass on 4th down last play of the game which failed. He probably could have run it in.

Because the ending was Taylor made for all of us Monday morning armchair wanna be quarterbacks. No other Super Bowl in history was decided by means of a play call controversy of similar proportion such as was the case in SB 49.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat May 06, 2017 9:43 am

With all the new draft picks (even last years) , this new squad doesn't even know or care about XLIX.

I agree, refs can ruin games, players have win them, coaches can lose them, time to move on.

Lets move on to our OL where I predict (sorry) that our QB will end up out for the season this year, which will put a pall over our franchise. Hope I am wrong.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 06, 2017 10:17 am

It's a one play and you're done possibility on every play, so it's certainly a plausible scenario.

I see that they now want to move Ifedi to RT and Glowinski to RG. Add in Joeckel when he heals and there is a lot of uncertainty on the OL again this year.
They have to settle on positions and let the players get into a comfort zone with the guy next to him. If they never get comfortable with what the guy next to him
is going to do in most situations, they don't have a hope in hell of working to their maximum as a group. It's the only group in Football where 5 guys have to work
in unison to be effective. Add in they are facing better athletes on the DL and teamwork is even more important.
They have to get the positions settled soon.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sat May 06, 2017 1:23 pm

And we still have Bevell :cry:
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 06, 2017 3:47 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I see that they now want to move Ifedi to RT and Glowinski to RG. Add in Joeckel when he heals and there is a lot of uncertainty on the OL again this year.

They have to settle on positions and let the players get into a comfort zone with the guy next to him. If they never get comfortable with what the guy next to him is going to do in most situations, they don't have a hope in hell of working to their maximum as a group. It's the only group in Football where 5 guys have to work in unison to be effective. Add in they are facing better athletes on the DL and teamwork is even more important. They have to get the positions settled soon.

I agree. This year is beginning to shape up just like the last two. It's too bad that we couldn't have signed Lang.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 07, 2017 8:58 am

It's like they have ADD with all of the changes up front each year. Why they can't let a player learn one position in what people say is one of the most complex blocking schemes is beyond me.
We haven't had a real good OL in this regime's tenure even with all of the picks and FA's, so I doubt they really know how to build one.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 08, 2017 5:04 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's like they have ADD with all of the changes up front each year. Why they can't let a player learn one position in what people say is one of the most complex blocking schemes is beyond me.
We haven't had a real good OL in this regime's tenure even with all of the picks and FA's, so I doubt they really know how to build one.

That's one of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of Tom Cable. The only decent OL's he's had were drafted/signed/developed before he got here in 2011, specifically Unger and Okung, the only Pro Bowl OL players we've had since Walt retired. I get tired of all the excuse making for his performance.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 08, 2017 12:57 pm

But if their grand plan is to have an inexpensive OL by using draft picks and converted DL and then not re-sign them after their first contract, it's not really Cable's fault.

The problem with our OL philosophy as it looks to be is the following and I'm sure there are more than 3 :

1) Inexperience all along the OL resulting from not re-signing players trained in our system
2) Complex Hybrid OL scheme requiring both intelligence and athleticsm
3) Lack of great athletes coming from College playing OL thereby lessening the pool from which to select.

Combine inexperience with a steep learning curve (1 and 2) and you have players that cannot develop quickly in that system.
It might be why we see Carpenter for one going to the Jets and playing well. We'll see how Sweezy does in TB.

One solution might be to simplify the blocking scheme so the younger players can develop faster and produce early in their careers.
This would deepen the pool of prospective linemen that would fit our system and if Cable leaves for another team, other OL coaches could quickly pick up where he left off.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 pm

We use the zone blocking scheme?

I thought it was the Matador scheme.

Ole, Ole, OLE !!!!!! :D
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 08, 2017 7:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:But if their grand plan is to have an inexpensive OL by using draft picks and converted DL and then not re-sign them after their first contract, it's not really Cable's fault.

The problem with our OL philosophy as it looks to be is the following and I'm sure there are more than 3 :

1) Inexperience all along the OL resulting from not re-signing players trained in our system
2) Complex Hybrid OL scheme requiring both intelligence and athleticsm
3) Lack of great athletes coming from College playing OL thereby lessening the pool from which to select.

Combine inexperience with a steep learning curve (1 and 2) and you have players that cannot develop quickly in that system.
It might be why we see Carpenter for one going to the Jets and playing well. We'll see how Sweezy does in TB.

One solution might be to simplify the blocking scheme so the younger players can develop faster and produce early in their careers.
This would deepen the pool of prospective linemen that would fit our system and if Cable leaves for another team, other OL coaches could quickly pick up where he left off.

You have a point, but if I'm an OL coach, I sure wouldn't like that kind of philosophy. Because he was once a head coach, I'm sure that Cable had options, and I don't think that he'd work for a team that had that kind of OL philosophy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 08, 2017 9:58 pm

It looks like that's the plan.
Breno: FA not really pursued
Carpenter: FA not really pursued
Okung: FA not really pursued
Sweezy: TB overpaid for him

It may have just been a coincidental numbers game, but it sure looks like a pattern.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue May 09, 2017 12:20 am

I thought it was the Matador scheme.

Ole, Ole, OLE !!!!!! :D

That's hilarious! But True!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 am

NorthHawk wrote:It looks like that's the plan.
Breno: FA not really pursued
Carpenter: FA not really pursued
Okung: FA not really pursued
Sweezy: TB overpaid for him

It may have just been a coincidental numbers game, but it sure looks like a pattern.

There's also some players at other positions that we really didn't pursue, too, like Tate, Maxwell, and Irvin. It isn't just the offensive line. The thing we have to keep in mind is that the defense and the quarterback are hogging up a disproportionate share of the cap space, so we may have wanted to pursue one or more of those OL's but made a purely financial decision not to.

I really don't think it's an overt policy, more it's a reflection of Pete Carroll being a defensive orientated coach. He built this team through the defense, molded players like Sherman, Chancellor, and Wagner into All Pros, enabled an over achieving quarterback, then like the mad scientist that created Frankenstein, had to pay them, leaving nothing but a bunch of peanuts for the offensive line.

I wish we were a little more balanced team as I think it would be more sustainable, but I can't really complain about the results. It's been the best period of Seahawk football in our 40 year existence.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue May 09, 2017 12:23 pm

I may be wrong here, but I "think" that if we developed a real blue chip player along the o-line, one that was healthy more oft than being injured, we'd target him as one of our must have dudes. Clearly, the focus is the D, but who on the o-line was a healthy pro-bowler did we let go?? Max was hurt as much as he was healthy toward his end in Seattle and is projected to miss at least 5 weeks next year. Okung was always injured and you saw what the Broncos o-line looked like with him in it.

It is frustrating to see the dearth of resources spent on our o-line... that said, look at the Cowboys. They have had the best o-line in the game the last three years which has netted them very little by way of playoff wins (think zero). The Browns have the best LT in the game right now, or one of em, and look at how well they are doing. As frustrating as it is, we have been pretty danged successful. Were I the GM or HC, I would have wanted to draft Cam Robinson. We shall see who Mr. Robinson is in three years and if he is a more impactful player than Malik. Just remember everyone salivated over Luke Joekel and Eric Fisher 4 years ago. Neither has lived up to their billing. Fisher is good, not great and neither have been top 10 at their position ever. So what do we know?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Probably right in your thoughts to some degree, Sis.
For me, the frustration is the OL along with the QB is the most important part of the Offense and yet it's been permitted to slide into becoming almost unproductive at times.
As we have seen, it drags down the entire team when it isn't adequate.
We should have won at least 2 Super Bowls and I submit we would have won more if our OL was just above average - not great, but above average.
As it is, we have lost important games because of it and there might be a discussion to be had about Wilson being injured from that lack of production.

It's a nightmare scenario for some of us in that although it isn't as bad as Buffalo or Minnesota who haven't won one SB despite 4 appearances, or the disastrous lapse of the Falcons last
year, we will still be looking back at what could have and should have been with this core group of players. I don't think I'm alone in already doing that.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue May 09, 2017 1:26 pm

I understand your sentiments, North and yet it is pretty tough to say we would have won a third SB if we had a better o-line; how do you know that? One could also say we would have won the NFC Divisional Game against Carolina had CM started over the freshly returned Marshawn Lynch. We would have won SB 49 had Land and Avril not gone out - right?? Brady sure got better after Cliff wasn't there to disrupt him - or Maybe Braady is just that good?? Shoulda, woulda, coulda is a whole lot of guessing. What would you have been willing to subtract from the team to get you your improved O-line in the year we were supposed to win our 3rd SB?? You know as well as I do, you simply cannot have it all.

This team finds its core players, pays them handsomely then assumes they will get the most out of others. We have been to the playoffs, and deep in em including our 1 and only SB ring, with a LOT more frequency with this philosophy than ever before. So I personally don't feel I have the creditability to question the overall philosophy.

TRUST ME, I am frustrated about the o-line too. I watch as O-lineman after o-lineman get snatched up by the enemy and wonder why. Cam Robinson made Myles Garrett look like a paper tiger... what gives? What I land on is that the answer has got to be something. Just because I don't know what the something is doesn't mean it isn't a significant something.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:15 pm

To be fair, they actually have thrown a lot of higher draft picks at the O-Line in recent years. Some have bombed, only one has become solid, but Ifedi has a big chance to improve this year (if they keep him at guard). If he slides out to tackle???? I dunno, his footwork is what it is.

Basically Glowinski was a redshirt rookie last year as well. Both of those guys have the ability and a year under their belts.

Throw Pocic into the mix, and we will see what happens. But I HATE the fact that we have to do this for what seems like every stinkin year. The salary cap is a huge part of it.

Just take a look at Sweezy, he leaves for a huge contract and didn't play a single down for Tampa. One never knows.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm

One could argue that Britt, Fant, Glow & Ifedi were all rookies last year. At least to their positions, but Fant and ifedi for sure. Garry and George being asked to do what they had to do could see cruel and unusual punishment. But it was what it was.

Additions of Pocic, Luke, and Aboushi (sp?) can't hurt... plus the experience that the rest of the remaining 4 gained. I dunno. Were it me, I'd have drafted Robinson. But I don't really see what they see. Clearly.

I'm also over being mad about it. Just win, baby. I'd take the last 6 years as a Hawks fan over any other stretch in history.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 pm

All due respect HS, when Bruce Arians, said that they have never had any problems with our OL that says it all. That loss to them at home was a huge loss. IMHO, it cost us everything. Cost us home field, and ultimately a 3rd SB Trip. As I said I think RW's health is at serious risk this year, he is not getting any younger.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 am

Old but Slow wrote:It takes time to mold a line (I'm sure there's a joke in there), and this group that was terrible last season are all good athletes with promise. They are learning to communicate with each other and to coordinate, which is essential. If four of the five improve, they become a different entity. My hope is that Pocic is a prime backup this year, and is not needed as a starter. His versatility, intelligence, and skills make him ideal to sub into the line in any position without a huge loss. Perfect addition in my view.

In addition, I hope that Joeckel is not needed, and that Abouji (sorry about the name spelling) is a valuable backup. Generally glass half full, in my view of things, I am seeing a much improved offensive line with mostly the same personnel. I was upset when they signed the 2 dumbos last year, but I am thinking that they have learned from that.

There is one position to fill, as our RT signed with SF (what was he thinking?). Glowinski will move from LG to RG, where he played in college, with Ifedi moving out a spot to RT, which makes sense, and we can assume that Britt will be the center, so the question goes naturally to LG and LT. Fant is the incumbent LT and though inexperienced, is ideally athletic, and coachable. Joeckel is a high upside player who has underperformed, but is still young enough to make an impact, and Odhiambo is a player the team has expressed some confidence in, which puts him in the conversation.

So, unlike you fair weather fans (j/k), I see this offensive line as a developing strength.

I think it would be a lot stronger this year and I said so thinking they would be largely in the same positions.
As it is, the OL is 80% changed. Again.
Continuity along the OL isn't just being on the field together, it's playing next to each other with the same player or players beside each.
Ifedi will be learning how to play RT and Glowinski will be learning how to play on the right side of Britt and with Ifedi. Ifedi has to learn how to play RT in the NFL with a player who is learning how to play RG and with both C and RT.
There will be a new LG who has to learn to play with Britt and maybe a new LT who has to learn how to play with the RT.
Because of this, any continuity they may have developed last year has to be re-established this year again.

And that's how I got to the point of saying get these guys into position early and leave them there to actually get a rhythm together.
They HAVE to settle on positions early and let them actually learn how to play together.
Even with last years experience there are going to be a lot of problems early. It's what happens when developing teamwork.
I just hope it doesn't mean a couple of early preventable losses.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:35 pm

^ Times 1 million.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 am

For what it's worth, Cable is excited by what he sees on the OL (didn't we hear this last year?). The talent has been upgraded so what's left is getting them to work together as a single unit.
Fant apparently is up over 20lbs and has reached out to other linemen asking about playing Tackle at the NFL level.
Any help would be welcome, but let's see if it translates into a solid LT.

Here's a link:
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... interview/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu May 11, 2017 8:33 am

Yeah I remember Cable expressing similar excitement last season. I guess he likes challenges.

Maybe that is why the hawks have 11 RB's on the roster now. Cable will convert them to OL talent. new strategy short and around
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:15 am

When you are the coach of 2 of the worst O-Line seasons in a row, you had BETTER be excited.

I'm a pro musician and I can tell you that there are no substitutes for experience. A guy can graduate from Julliard and be a master, but without stage experience sucks ass.

The same is for a lineman coming out of college. They are at a HUGE disadvantage, however, experience can mute that.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 am

Here are a few thoughts.

The Eddie Lacy signing should have the biggest impact. He’ll only be 27 next season, and remember, he made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. If he can pound out a 1,000-plus-yard season, the Seahawks’ offense will have the feel of the Marshawn Lynch days.

Adding Luke Joeckel, Oday Aboushi and Ethan Pocic to the offensive line should dramatically improve the run and pass blocking. Last year, the options at tackle were limited. Bradley Sowell tried hard but didn’t play well. J’Marcus Webb added nothing. It forced the Seahawks to rush rookie George Fant into the left tackle role and he did well. At the moment, Fant is the left tackle and Joeckel could be the left guard. Aboushi will back up on the right side of the line. Pocic will do the same and will be versatile enough to play center if necessary. Now, the Seahawks have plenty of options.

The defensive line is deeper and younger. McDowell could be a pass-rushing force. Dion Jordan could be a surprise if he’s in shape and starts to live up to the potential that made him the third pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

I see improvement, and this is without even talking about the secondary.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 11, 2017 10:42 am

Run blocking improvement is the key and it has to be better than when we had Lynch as nobody broke tackles like he did.
Lacy has a good chance to rush for 1000 yards if he gets adequate blocking. Few if any RBs do well if the blocking isn't at least average if not good.
With an average blocking OL, fewer passes will be thrown, or at least fewer predictable plays where the opposing Defense knows a pass is forthcoming. That can't help but make the Offense better.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Also if you can run it dramatically helps the passing game. Keep 'em guessing.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Yah, it appears that there is more talent on this team than the last 2.
Putting it all together is as always the biggest challenge.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum