Seahawks Sign Quarterback Austin Davis

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seahawks Sign Quarterback Austin Davis

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:57 am

Thank god for some football news!
In 13 career games, 10 of them starts, Davis has completed 62.4 percent of his passes (236 for 378) for 2,548 yards, 13 touchdowns and 12 interceptions, giving him an 80.4 career passer rating.

A good choice to contend for our clipboard holder.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/06/05 ... stin-davis
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Seahawks Sign Quarterback Austin Davis

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:05 am

3 QB's and some competition for Boykin who better do better this year if he wants to stay on the roster.
They might add another "Arm", but I think they usually go with 3. Or am I wrong on that?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:33 am

I don't think Pete really has a usual number ... we've kept:

2010 = 3
2011 = 3
2012 = 2
2013 = 2
2014 = 3
2015 = 2
2016 = 2

You could say it looks like two is the trend or you could say we're about due to go with 3 QB's. Dealers choice.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:16 pm

LOL, funny has all get out the Seahawks have to sign an ex-Ram who cleaned their clock a couple seasons back to replace their con-man. You actually might win a couple more games as RW will go down early by orders of Ciara.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Lol, he's better than the Rams starter.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:28 am

Largent80 wrote:Lol, he's better than the Rams starter.

This was about money, period. Good move I think.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:51 pm

I had to look this up to make sure I remembered it right. And I did.

On Oct 19th,2014 Austin Davis faced the LOB in its glory days for the first and only time. He completed 17 of 20 for 155 yards, 2 TD's and no picks.
That's an 85% completion rate vs the LOB in his 4th career start. 7.75 yards per attempt with a long throw of 30 yards.

The Rams won 28-26 stopping a furious Seattle comeback with a fake punt and perfect Hekker pass from their 20, in spite of Wilson becoming the first man in NFL history to throw for 300 yards and rush for 100 in a game. Maybe PC and JS remembered that game

The guy isn't chopped liver. he runs a 4.7 40, 1 tenth slower than Kaep and 2 tenths slower than RW although he is a pocket passer who only scrambled 16 times in 2014.

I like the move quite a bit. It isn't doofus for one and I think this guy could hold down the fort a little bit god forbid something disastrous happens to the cyborg.

I've watched Davis a couple of times he played after that game vs Seattle and I think hes pretty slick, just hasn't had much of a chance to play.
Boykin better watch his Ps and Qs and work hard.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I like it.
Davis is pretty steady and has some experience.
IMO, anything was gonna be a better option than adding a potential distraction.
I want the main narrative for 2017 to be about football, and not sands through the hourglass.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 am

I like it, too. We were looking for a backup quarterback, or at least someone that can push our current backup, not a starting QB ala Kaepernick.

Now we can bury these Kaepernick threads and put them alongside the Tebow and Johnny Football threads.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:25 pm

I literally rolled my eyes at this signing. And this has nothing to do with Kaepernick. This dude is gar-bage! They didn't have to sign Kaep but they could have found someone better. If Wilson gets hurt he does not help win games.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Kap is one of a few or only guy out there who could truly be a starting QB if Russ went down.
It looks to me like they don't want to have the possibility that should the Offense struggle, a divide would be created.
So it's competition for every position except starting QB, and that might be a reasonable strategy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 am

So it's competition for every position except starting QB, and that might be a reasonable strategy.

Er, we haven't had a competition for starting QB since 2012, and that wasn't changing this year. Add in Kap's baggage**, and they apparently didn't want that in our potential clipboard holder.

Hardly outrageous, and hardly surprising, whatever you think of Kaepernick.

**To whatever degree it still exists- I'm not sure, and I've said before that I wouldn't have minded him being our backup if the price was right.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:40 am

There would be no baggage to the team and any media flurries would be over by the time the season starts.
The concern is if the Offense struggles it could split the team as he is starting caliber.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 am

NorthHawk wrote:There would be no baggage to the team and any media flurries would be over by the time the season starts.
The concern is if the Offense struggles it could split the team as he is starting caliber.

Those are both facts not in evidence- the former is at least debatable, but the latter is *highly* questionable.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:54 am

RiverDog wrote:I like it, too. We were looking for a backup quarterback, or at least someone that can push our current backup, not a starting QB ala Kaepernick.

Now we can bury these Kaepernick threads and put them alongside the Tebow and Johnny Football threads.

I agree River!! 2nd. You know as well as I do, the best of backups can win 3 out of 5 games, IF the starter goes down. I think Davis can win 2 out 5. Is he Seneca Wallace? No, but he is good. I admit a dark secret, I think Boykin is a good backup, and could be a good starter in the NFL IF he keeps his nose clean. However, that is a big IF.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 am

obiken wrote:[I like it, too. We were looking for a backup quarterback, or at least someone that can push our current backup, not a starting QB ala Kaepernick.

I agree River!! 2nd. You know as well as I do, the best of backups can win 3 out of 5 games, IF the starter goes down. I think Davis can win 2 out 5. Is he Seneca Wallace? No, but he is good. I admit a dark secret, I think Boykin is a good backup, and could be a good starter in the NFL IF he keeps his nose clean. However, that is a big IF.[/quote]

I've been on the wrong side of about every QB controversy imaginable including both the guys RD mentioned and also Seneca who I thought was starter material and really never did much with his limited opportunities in Seattle or Cleveland.I was on the Whitehurst bandwagon as well LMAO. I was on the right side of the RW Flynn debate however.

That said I know its one game but that game Davis vs the LOB in its absolute healthy prime cannot be overlooked. Playing on horrible teams like the Rams and Cleveland doesn't prove squat about the kid. He's got some moxie and just hasn't had a significant enough sample size to really judge his talent level. completing 62 percent and averaging a little over 1 TD pass per game isn't bad for a pure rookie.

That said I agree with Obis assessment of Boykin. The dude is potentially spectacular, is accurate with a huge arm capable of all the throws and may be quicker than Russ running with the ball.
He is the best chance to win without Russ, perhaps even thrive. He is much more complete as a QB than Krap who regressed every year.

As has been said Boykin's off field issues are the big drawback but if he straightens it out he could and I think will start in the league someday. I think PC and JS feel the same way or they would have already parted ways with him and perhaps never brought him in to begin with. I hope he figures it out, I prefer him over Davis but if he doesn't he wont be the first idiot to wreck his career.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 am

Austin BEAT the Seahawks.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:09 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Kap is one of a few or only guy out there who could truly be a starting QB if Russ went down.
It looks to me like they don't want to have the possibility that should the Offense struggle, a divide would be created.

Unless he has a serious injury, in which case we're screwed anyway, Russell isn't going to miss any games. The only team in recent memory that went to a SB with their backup is when Brady did it in relief of Bledsoe nearly two decades ago.

Russell fought through injuries last year that would have sidelined any other quarterback for a month, so we're not looking for a starting caliber QB ala Kaepernick, we're looking for a backup. And we're not even really looking for a backup, either, we're looking for someone that can push the backup or be an insurance policy if he stubs his toe again and is suspended or kicked off the team.

Additionally, if there's a person on the team that does not need competition to motivate him, it's Russell. He's the definition of a self motivated individual.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:26 pm

we're not looking for a starting caliber QB ala Kaepernick, we're looking for a backup.

This- our backup is more for grooming purposes, and/or running the opposing offense effectively at practice.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:32 pm

LOL, Kaepernick as a starter. He had one good year (rookie) when he had a very talented roster, and then used the same roster to show exactly what he is, a backup, and a poor one at that.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Didn't want to create a new thread, but this is the kind of guy I'd like to see signed as our backup:

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2179/Tim- ... Your-Heart
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 pm

burrrton wrote:Didn't want to create a new thread, but this is the kind of guy I'd like to see signed as our backup:

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2179/Tim- ... Your-Heart

I'm glad you didn't start another thread.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby SBA12er » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:40 pm

I think Boykin still holds onto the backup spot...but he's walking on thin ice.
SBA12er
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Hey look; a new guy!

Welcome aboard SBA, and just for fun, I'm gonna disagree with you, I think Davis get's the clipboard and we part ways with Trevon.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 pm

SBA12er wrote:I think Boykin still holds onto the backup spot...but he's walking on thin ice.

Ahh, another Shack Up! Welcome to our family.

And I agree with you, I think that the backup job is Boykin's to lose.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:48 am

Reports out of camp are that Davis is experiencing accuracy issues and Boykin is sharp as a razor. Maybe bringing in a guy like Davis is just what the doctor ordered to get Boykin focused.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 am

Hawktawk wrote:Reports out of camp are that Davis is experiencing accuracy issues and Boykin is sharp as a razor. Maybe bringing in a guy like Davis is just what the doctor ordered to get Boykin focused.

I'd like to read those reports. Meanwhile this is what Pete said at the end of offseason activities:

“Austin did really well,” Carroll said. “Amazingly bright football player. He blew us away with how fast he could pick stuff up. He brings more playtime experience, just in the meeting room that we treasure. He’s been there, he’s played games and all that. Trevone hasn’t had that and can’t have that yet. It’s been a good mix so far. So we brought him in and we’ll make these evaluations as we get back but I think Austin showed very well for himself. He’s got his own style. He’s a different style player than Trevone or Russell of course, but I kind of like what he brought us.”
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Bob the report was this morning on my Seahawks 24-7 site on FB. Sorry I didn't link it.
I realize they aren't the biggest or most respected purveyor of news flashes but that was what they said. They pointed out Davis is a career 62 percent passer who was less accurate that that in camp but Boykin is a 72 percent passer in his limited experience. They also talked about how much stronger Boykin's arm is.
As for PC and his effusive praise he's generally a rah rah guy for everyone on the roster right up until he cuts them.

My money is still on Boykin unless he gets in more trouble. At least kicking the tires on Davis they will know what they have if they need to bring him in at some point. If TB is suspended then maybe Davis does go around him.
I like him and I've said so, I just think Trevon is a better athlete and a better fit for what Seattle wants to do god forbid Russ misses time, i.e. read option etc.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd like to read those reports. Meanwhile this is what Pete said at the end of offseason activities:

“Austin did really well,” Carroll said. “Amazingly bright football player. He blew us away with how fast he could pick stuff up. He brings more playtime experience, just in the meeting room that we treasure. He’s been there, he’s played games and all that. Trevone hasn’t had that and can’t have that yet. It’s been a good mix so far. So we brought him in and we’ll make these evaluations as we get back but I think Austin showed very well for himself. He’s got his own style. He’s a different style player than Trevone or Russell of course, but I kind of like what he brought us.”

More of Pete's flowery sales pitches. Is there a player that we've brought in that he didn't say something like this in his initial assessment?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 am

RiverDog wrote:More of Pete's flowery sales pitches. Is there a player that we've brought in that he didn't say something like this in his initial assessment?

Of course there is, plenty in fact (as you'd expect with the turnover rate at the bottom of our roster), but they're the ones you barely remember were ever a Seahawk, like Terrell Owens.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:39 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Of course there is (players he didn't drool over in the media), plenty in fact (as you'd expect with the turnover rate at the bottom of our roster), but they're the ones you barely remember were ever a Seahawk, like Terrell Owens.

Pete Carroll's comments of Terrell Owens just as he was cutting him:

"Terrell came in here and busted his tail and he looked really effective right from the start..."

So that's not a flowery assessment?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 am

No, it's a pretty standard "we're not interested but don't want to smear the guy" send off.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum