Fant

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Fant

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Mom's steak helps Seahawks' George Fant bulk up to 320 pounds - ESPN
https://apple.news/AWDxNMlPJTTKY7edUUxeSTw
An encouraging article to be sure. I like this guy and think he has the potential to be a great left tackle. It's remarkable he was able to start in the NFL at any level with his total lack of experience last year .

If he is truly greatly improved it would be huge for the offensive line.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Fant

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm

The best part is all the 1 on 1 tutelage he's getting from Big Walt. With all the talent George is supposed to be starting with, if even a little Walter Jones rubs off on him we could really have something.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:20 pm

He looked so bad last year. I hope he can improve.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:24 pm

I wish gaining weight from eating my momma's steaks were a positive for me. ;)

George is such an intriguing character. As an undrafted basketball player starting at LT, one of the most essential positions on an NFL team, I have to say he was at the very least... a dude w/ some possible upside. The off-season work, the relationship w/ Big Walt, the bulking up, a season of experience (or baptism by fire) are all positive signs. He shouldn't regress and he seems determined. I'm not sure how this'll turn out, but damn it all if it wouldn't be the story of the decade if he kicks ass.

Suffice it to say, I have a lil more hope this offseason than last re: the o-line. But it's June & im usually pretty excited and positive in June. #fingerscrossed.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:15 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:He looked so bad last year. I hope he can improve.

He looked wildly inconsistent. There were times he looked awful but times he looked good.

The bulk is his greatest need along with the tutilage.

I've liked the move from day one. I think he will be great someday, the first Antonio gates of the offensive line in the NFL history.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:15 am

He would have been better just from the experience and not needing to think as much before each snap.
Now, with more meaningful coaching (more details instead of basic fundamentals, although they have to be reinforced) he might take a step forward.
Like Bob said, with Walt helping him out, it's going to help - even if it's just getting his head in the right place.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:57 am

Hawktawk wrote:He looked wildly inconsistent. There were times he looked awful but times he looked good.

The bulk is his greatest need along with the tutilage.

I've liked the move from day one. I think he will be great someday, the first Antonio gates of the offensive line in the NFL history.

I didn't think getting overpowered was Fant's biggest problem. Am I alone in this sentiment?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 am

[quote="RiverDog
I've liked the move from day one. I think he will be great someday, the first Antonio gates of the offensive line in the NFL history.[/quote]

I didn't think getting overpowered was Fant's biggest problem. Am I alone in this sentiment?[/quote]

It was a big problem at times RD. I don't recall the game but one guy knocked him on his arse repeatedly. He mentions getting bull rushed as a reason to bulk up himself. I don't think a guy is going to talk himself down for no reason.
If a lineman is getting outmuscled it makes everything else easy for the defender.
He looks big and more muscular.
IMO it is remarkable that a guy who played basketball in college except for 8 offensive snaps of football was able to be a marginal starter at left tackle in the flipping NFL in a free agent rookie season. Yeah it wasn't a good line but still....
The potential upside makes me drool. Watch out for this kid.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Walt was saying he is amazed how far Fant has come.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Hawktawk wrote:[quote="RiverDog

I didn't think getting overpowered was Fant's biggest problem. Am I alone in this sentiment?[/quote]

It was a big problem at times RD. I don't recall the game but one guy knocked him on his arse repeatedly. He mentions getting bull rushed as a reason to bulk up himself. I don't think a guy is going to talk himself down for no reason.
If a lineman is getting outmuscled it makes everything else easy for the defender.
He looks big and more muscular.
IMO it is remarkable that a guy who played basketball in college except for 8 offensive snaps of football was able to be a marginal starter at left tackle in the flipping NFL in a free agent rookie season. Yeah it wasn't a good line but still....
The potential upside makes me drool. Watch out for this kid.[/quote]

He lacked technique last year. Not just good technique, but in early cases any technique. Bull rushes are often from lack of leverage - he got too high, and other moves from DLinemen are things he probably never saw before.
I agree with Hawtawk that his potential is huge and I hope we see it realized sooner than later because with the CBA and limited coaching moments, time is an enemy.
I said this last year and still think that Fant in this year is the equivalent of a 1st round pick on the OL. The mistakes he made last year were largely inexperience and should be correctable.
Should be interesting to watch his development.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm

I remember last year's preseason hype was about the gains Gilliam was making in the weight room. There was a picture of him doing one-legged kettleball deadlifts (or something like that) and everyone was stoked about how big he looked. So I'm not getting excited that part of the Fant story.

I like that he's talking to Walt and that he's eager to learn, but we'll see if it shows on Sundays.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:44 pm

With all the swapping of positions, it's encouraging that Fant is staying put.
I wasn't on the Gilliam bandwagon as some last year because changing sides isn't always easy for players. Some players just have trouble mirroring their moves, but he was more of a LT physically than what we seem to like at RT.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:55 am

Here's Tom Cable's take on the O-Line after the OTA's -- From Seahawks.com

As for what the line could end up looking like, Cable mentioned that there is currently a three-player rotation on the left side between Fant, Odhiambo and Joeckel, who is still limited because of the knee injury that cut short his 2016 season. While Odhiambo and Joeckel are options at left guard and tackle, Fant is sticking to left tackle, where he finished last season as the starter after taking over the job midseason. Mark Glowinski, last year’s starting left guard, moved back to the right side, though he’ll have to battle Aboushi for that job, while last year’s first round pick Germain Ifedi is now competing at right tackle, and while he would seem to be the favorite there, Pocic could be an option as well. Justin Britt, meanwhile, has become a leader not just of the line but of the entire offense since thriving in his move to center last year.

“I’m the most excited coach on the staff right now,” Cable said Friday after the Seahawks wrapped up their final session of organized team activities. “That’s what I’ve told Coach (Pete Carroll) and (general manager) John (Schneider)—I appreciate them putting this together in a year’s time and doing a fantastic job. Our personnel guys nailed this, so it’s just a matter of getting them in the right spots and going and playing ball.
“I’m excited as camp approaches. I think we’ve made some progress towards being ready to go to training camp. That means teaching the offense and getting the young kids involved. I think we’re right where we should be at this point… Really all those kids, from George to Germain to Rees, they all have matured a year. It’s kind of like a freshman in college. If you play them right away, it can be painful at times, but they make big strides, and they’ve done that. They’ve all matured and handled this thing really, really well.”
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:13 am

Any early predictions of week one starters? Right now, I'd say:
Fant, Luke, Britt, Aboushi, Ifedi
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:03 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Any early predictions of week one starters? Right now, I'd say:
Fant, Luke, Britt, Aboushi, Ifedi

I'm not yet convinced Joeckel will be ready for week one even though he has been on the field for non contact drills, so I'll guess the following:
Fant, Odhiambo, Britt, Glowinski, Ifedi

Aboushi for me is an unknown. He has never been a consistent starter with 2 different teams so I'm not particularly optimistic. But maybe our system fits him better and he does well.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:18 am

I really, really want to drink the Flavor-Aid on this one, but, after last season's optimism and subsequent let-down, I've lowered my expectations. Love the potential of the guys they have right now, but want to see it come together. Keeping my fingers crossed the Seahawks can shove the disrespect from other teams' defenses right back in their faces (Arians and Mathieu didn't hide the fact they have zero respect for the Seahawks offensive line).
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I really, really want to drink the Flavor-Aid on this one, but, after last season's optimism and subsequent let-down, I've lowered my expectations. Love the potential of the guys they have right now, but want to see it come together. Keeping my fingers crossed the Seahawks can shove the disrespect from other teams' defenses right back in their faces (Arians and Mathieu didn't hide the fact they have zero respect for the Seahawks offensive line).

I understand your reluctance, but the talent has been upgraded and they have for the most part a year of experience, so we can expect some level of improvement.
The question that we will have to wait to be answered is will this improvement be enough for the OL to be consistently competent?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 am

I do agree there has been a talent upgrade. The FA's of this season are much better than Webb and Sowell. I like that the 3 rookies are now a year more experienced. And you are nailing it; is it enough improvement to have a solid, cohesive unit. Time will tell, and no less ready for football to start!
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:39 pm

It seems that musical OLine is still in full force and that's my biggest gripe. The fact the Fant is "only" working at Tackle? Can you imagine if this was the line in '95... Big Walt was trying out at right guard this week, but we'll know more in training camp. Hutch is working at Tackle and Guard, but his status is more then likely set... oh my ]

As for this year, with Joeckel not practicing right now, and being a 8 million cap hit, Ifidi moving over to RT and Glowinski moving to the right side, where they both obviously weren't good enough last year. they now have only a few weeks of camp to become an NFL cohesive unit. Looks good on paper, maybe, but time will tell if it's works in the NFL. I hope Cable is right, this time.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I really, really want to drink the Flavor-Aid on this one, but, after last season's optimism and subsequent let-down, I've lowered my expectations. Love the potential of the guys they have right now, but want to see it come together. Keeping my fingers crossed the Seahawks can shove the disrespect from other teams' defenses right back in their faces (Arians and Mathieu didn't hide the fact they have zero respect for the Seahawks offensive line).

That's pretty much how I feel. Potential doesn't count. Performance does.

I kept hearing how "vastly improved" last year's offensive line was over the previous season, but when you have to resort to comparing a unit with one as sorry as the 2015 OL was in order to show improvement, then know that you're grasping for straws.

So we'll see.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Admittedly, River, this is the first time I've not allowed myself to be optimistic about the offseason oline hype. I've bought into it every year, but last year was the break point. Again, I like the potential and talent they brought in this year, but got to see it come together on the field.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:58 am

A problem I have with the philosophy of young players learning more than one position on the OL is they might end up being jacks of all trades and masters of none.
I think for the young guys they should find out where they fit and let them grow into that position and learn it well. Then, once that has been achieved learn a backup role
in another position. I don't think it's helped the young players in the past and I'm concerned it might be retarding their development now.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:41 am

There must be some parallels though, right? I mean, Britt went from RT to LG to C, and he had very good year at center. I agree that continuity for the line as a whole as well as consistency at individual positions is ideal, but I would hope that some lessons learned at one position are useful at others.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:51 am

jshawaii22 wrote:It seems that musical OLine is still in full force and that's my biggest gripe. The fact the Fant is "only" working at Tackle? Can you imagine if this was the line in '95... Big Walt was trying out at right guard this week, but we'll know more in training camp. Hutch is working at Tackle and Guard, but his status is more then likely set... oh my ]

I hope Cable is right, this time.

js
LOL that's some funny stuff actually. It illuminates how Fd up our line has been for a few years. There wasn't a lot of swapping guys around in 2005 LMAO
I hope Cable is right too.........................
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:16 pm

I wonder just how much of this mix-and-match offensive line philosophy is rooted in trying to justify a bad decisions rather than finding the best possible player at each position. Both Britt and before him, James Carpenter, were busts at the position they were drafted in, didn't even last more than a season. Britt not only failed at tackle, he was a bust at guard as well. Were they really the best player available for their new position or was Cable just trying to save face by salvaging a bad pick?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:46 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Here's Tom Cable's take on the O-Line after the OTA's -- From Seahawks.com

As for what the line could end up looking like, Cable mentioned that there is currently a three-player rotation on the left side between Fant, Odhiambo and Joeckel, who is still limited because of the knee injury that cut short his 2016 season. While Odhiambo and Joeckel are options at left guard and tackle, Fant is sticking to left tackle, where he finished last season as the starter after taking over the job midseason. Mark Glowinski, last year’s starting left guard, moved back to the right side, though he’ll have to battle Aboushi for that job, while last year’s first round pick Germain Ifedi is now competing at right tackle, and while he would seem to be the favorite there, Pocic could be an option as well. Justin Britt, meanwhile, has become a leader not just of the line but of the entire offense since thriving in his move to center last year.

“I’m the most excited coach on the staff right now,” Cable said Friday after the Seahawks wrapped up their final session of organized team activities. “That’s what I’ve told Coach (Pete Carroll) and (general manager) John (Schneider)—I appreciate them putting this together in a year’s time and doing a fantastic job. Our personnel guys nailed this, so it’s just a matter of getting them in the right spots and going and playing ball.
“I’m excited as camp approaches. I think we’ve made some progress towards being ready to go to training camp. That means teaching the offense and getting the young kids involved. I think we’re right where we should be at this point… Really all those kids, from George to Germain to Rees, they all have matured a year. It’s kind of like a freshman in college. If you play them right away, it can be painful at times, but they make big strides, and they’ve done that. They’ve all matured and handled this thing really, really well.”

I don't buy anything Cable says any longer. Marshawn the most brutal running back in the NFL and Russell Wilson the most intelligently mobile quarterback made the rush game. Now Marshawn is gone and our rush game left with him. Now we're seeing how bad our O-line is at protecting Russell without a serious run threat. Until I see different, Pete should have Cable on the hot seat this year. If he can't get the run game going and/or defend Russell Wilson, we need to look for a coach that can.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I don't buy anything Cable says any longer. Marshawn the most brutal running back in the NFL and Russell Wilson the most intelligently mobile quarterback made the rush game. Now Marshawn is gone and our rush game left with him. Now we're seeing how bad our O-line is at protecting Russell without a serious run threat. Until I see different, Pete should have Cable on the hot seat this year. If he can't get the run game going and/or defend Russell Wilson, we need to look for a coach that can.

This. All of this. I wonder if there is any correlation at all between Cable's positive statements and the performance of the OL. I doubt it.

That said, I am more excited about the OL this year than last, just not anywhere near as excited as Cable. My excitement is more "I think the Hawks might be at the top of the bottom third this year! Hell yeah!"
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 am

I hope they have decided on the starters at each position and keep them there through TC and pre-season.
For the most part they should know by now who those are .
It's just folly to have young kids learn 2 different positions at the same time and expect top flite performance and more so in what is said to be a complex blocking scheme.
Learn to play one position really well before moving to other spots. The backups are the players that need to know more than one position if only to keep a job in the NFL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:26 am

And therein lies the biggest issue with the 'new' NFL. They haven't really 'practiced' yet and can't. NO pads, no hitting.. basically it's something left of intramural football right now and our 8 million $ free agent isn't practicing at all. So, I doubt that they will know who is starting and where for quite awhile.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:48 am

jshawaii22 wrote:And therein lies the biggest issue with the 'new' NFL. They haven't really 'practiced' yet and can't. NO pads, no hitting.. basically it's something left of intramural football right now and our 8 million $ free agent isn't practicing at all. So, I doubt that they will know who is starting and where for quite awhile.

We're pretty sure Fant and Britt aren't moving.
They are moving Glowinski to RG and Ifedi to RT, so let's hope they leave them there to settle in, get comfortable in the position and hopefully get to the point of not having to think about what they are supposed to do or where they are supposed to be and who they should block. Glowinski is moving back to RG, so at least the footwork is familiar and maybe natural for him. Aboushi, according to Rotoworld played LG for the Jets but saw time at RG and played LG for the Texans. At least the right side isn't totally unfamiliar to him.
LG, it would seem is between Odhiambo and Joeckel when Joeckel gets healthy.
I'm hoping they stick with this combination and let them learn their positions and play as a unit.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum