How comfortable are you with Kicker?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: How comfortable are you with Kicker?

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:28 am

Ironically our favorite whipping boys on the OL didn't play too badly, except for the penalties, which admittedly were absolute killers. Sure, Russell was under pressure quite a bit, but he was only sacked twice, and one of those was on that frigging stupid ass play at the end of our last drive where he was scrambling around instead of spiking the ball and giving us another 2-3 plays to get the 10 yards needed to get into position to kick a FG. It's important to note that we ended up with 148 yards rushing in a running back by committee approach.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:41 am

I don't think the OL played very well at all.
They gave up consistent pressure on pass plays and couldln't run.
Again this week, Wilson was the leading rusher and most if not all of it because he was flushed out and had to make something of the play.
Washington's Defense didn't even have to play the run in the Red Zone or the 2 point conversion attempts because they know we can't get 2 yards consistently.
Add in the penalties and it's a formula for failure.

But it's not all on them as they did eat up the clock and moved the ball between the 20's even though that doesn't help much if they don't get points.
And the Defense still is a mystery giving up big plays which is what they emphasize against in Pete's defenses. Don't get beat deep.
I think ET may have been a difference maker on the last Washington drive with the deep pass. He might have been able to get there to knock it down or pick it off.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Agree with most of the points that are spelled out in this thread. But make no mistake, it was Blair Walsh that cost the Seahawks the victory in this game.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:07 am

Remember that any kicker on a team now can not be traded. That team would have to release them in order for us to acquire them. So Seabass is a definite no.

Any kicker worth getting that is not on a team is going to cost too much and we have no cap space. I don't know what league minimums are for kickers but I'm pretty sure we are broke with Lane coming back to us.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:16 am

Go GET him....

Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:57 am

Bummed about the missed kicks and those misses cost us dearly...as did the three stalls that led to FG tries n the first place.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 am

We don't have any Cap room left for getting another kicker even if we wanted to.
I read a story yesterday (can't find it again to link it) that said we are also dipping into next years Cap space for this year however that's done.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 am

Isn't there a woman phenom Place Kicker? Why NOT give her a try? At this point I would drag Efren H out of retirement, Efren can at least throw a TD or two in the Red Zone...

Edit; Becca Longo, she plays for Adams College for Timm Rosenbach the former WSU Cougar and NFL QB. Unfortunately for us she is still in school (good for her) and is only a sophomore. But, she has kicked 50 yard FG's and regularly splits the uprights from 45 (something Blair Walsh can only dream of) and she is "automatic" from the 25-35 yard range. She just may be the very first female NFL player! But, sadly for our Seahawks, she ain't available.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Isn't there a woman phenom Place Kicker? Why NOT give her a try? At this point I would drag Efren H out of retirement, Efren can at least throw a TD or two in the Red Zone...

Edit; Becca Longo, she plays for Adams College for Timm Rosenbach the former WSU Cougar and NFL QB. Unfortunately for us she is still in school (good for her) and is only a sophomore. But, she has kicked 50 yard FG's and regularly splits the uprights from 45 (something Blair Walsh can only dream of) and she is "automatic" from the 25-35 yard range. She just may be the very first female NFL player! But, sadly for our Seahawks, she ain't available.

My wife wants to know what i'm laughing at... That's too funny.

I wonder if Garo Yupremian is available. He can attempt a pass...
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:05 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Kickers: Every team's gotta have one.

I suppose ...

They gotta have one because we win 3 more games if we had one !!!!! you know?...12-4?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 am

Largent80 wrote:They gotta have one because we win 3 more games if we had one !!!!! you know?...12-4?

Our kicker unquestionably cost us games and it was in retrospect one of the worst decisions Pete/John have made since taking over to let a relatively reliable kicker like Hauschka go.

But to say that the sole reason that we are not 12-4 is because of our kicker is a gross oversimplification. We are not a 12-4 team, something that would suggest that we were in between our Lombardi year at 13-3 and the subsequent SB season of 11-5.

As a well respected HC coach once said "you are what your record says you are", which is exactly right, especially in our case. We're a .500ish team not quite good enough to make the playoffs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 am

Whatever. You can sugar coat it any way you want.

Dude had one job . FAIL.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 am

Largent80 wrote:Whatever. You can sugar coat it any way you want.

Dude had one job . FAIL.

I agree. He cost us games.

I'm just saying that if you think that the only difference between this team being a SB contending 12-4 and a playoff wanna be 9-7 is the kicker, you're in some serious denial.

Other teams lose close games, too, and some lose them due to their kicker missing makeable FG's.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:27 pm

I mean really, why even have a kicker. If they can't be reliable enough to do the one thing they are hired to do?

But let's focus on the rest of the team in a thread talking about the kicker.
Everyone here knows the shortcomings of the team but everyone also knows that kickers can win games.
Or lose them which is why I started the thread before the season started.
They hired the very guy that choked a playoff game against US of all teams.

It's as if the front office didn't learn from getting rid of the long snapper the year before.

Dumb, and YES if he makes those kicks the Seahawks are indeed 12-4, at worst 11-5.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby The POPE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:11 pm

One of the main differences between this year and the last several is the kicker winning or at least extending close games. Walsh choked plain and simple. The defense fell off due to injuries. The offense just plain sucked, not much different from last year or the year before. The kicking games definitely cost the Hawks this year, but in the end it only shortened the inevitable. I didn’t feel the hunger in this team this year. Pete is going to have to make changes this year if the Hawks are to live the always compete mantra.
The POPE
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:05 pm

I don't blame the defense, we had numerous hits taken due to injuries and the guys brought in to replace played great, even with Avril, Kam, Sherman and Lane as starters we would have been in a very similar situation. You can't ask a defense to play 3/4ths of the game or close to it without wearing down. The guys on the other team are professionals also and by wearing our defense down will get an advantage.

The blame goes completely on the offense, scoring early and playing with a lead helps, controlling the ball with a running game helps. It allows the defense to play down hill and take a few chances for pressures which create more turnovers and more scoring.

The offense was mostly intact, Fant went down but he was learning the position and we had replacements in the wings already that by play didn't get the job done, we brought Brown in and he was better but how we use our scheme even he was made to look average which on our line was a huge upgrade. Carson a Rookie RB looked good as well, but we had Lacy, Rawls, Michael, Davis, Prosise as depth, 4 of them experienced and at some point successful RB's in the league, Michael sure was a wild card and had other issues and was let go, but none of them could run consistently with our line and scheme unless we went to a Power run blocking scheme. We lost and had no fullback most the year. When you have issues running the ball and then choose not to add a lead blocker as well that's perplexing.

Now we have the WR's having a bunch of drops, there are two reasons lack of focus or checked out, the underneath routes were not used hardly at all send guys deep and hope for a catch, Graham was a obvious check out player if not in the end zone, the selling of routes was getting bad also, the WR's underneath knew the ball was going else wear and did not sell them well, this is about design, not to mention predictability as well as simplistic route trees. Bates was fired for pushing the passing game with deep shots in one season, Pete has stated he wanted more balance and the run game worked in. Yet we see what happened this year.

It is not about drafting, or signings of F.A. for the line, it has had pretty much exclusive attention the last 4 years in many shapes and forms to get it going. You can't blame one player, or even a dozen at this point. It falls back on what has not changed, OC and Line Coach or Pete.

Now to the topic, Kicker, you bring in a guy that has a issue, he was a head case coming in, you don't bring competition in and hand him the job. The guy misses, misses some more and costs you games. He doesn't look like he has any confidence, in fact looks more like the kid that had his lunch money taken at school every day, and other then the Viking game he showed no level of swag at all. This goes back to when we changed long snappers, many people said you don't win games with a long snapper, some disagreed, when you need 3 points or a extra point the holder and kicker trust that guy to get the ball to a spot on time and you can lose games with bad snaps if the kick isn't made. We found out the hard way once again that year until we replaced the replacement long snapper. Walsh is the same deal, if his head ain't right we are not going to be able to count on him going forward, he has missed a lot of pressure kicks to win games in the last two years. That isn't going to get better, in fact after this last miss it may get worse, he has a whole off season now to let that grind in and affect him next year. That kick and the kick in Minnesota plus the other games he cost us. Pete needs to wake up and understand he can't fix everyone.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Nice post Chris and welcome here.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Jeremy Bates was fired a week after calling beastquake, one of the better offensive days ever in a playoff game. Bevell gets chance after chance. I don’t get it . They are sqandering the window of opportunity .
I was cautiously optimistic about Walsh but clearly he was the straw that broke the camels back. He will never kick again .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Largent80 wrote:They gotta have one because we win 3 more games if we had one !!!!! you know?...12-4?

And still one and done in the playoffs.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Jeremy Bates was fired a week after calling beastquake, one of the better offensive days ever in a playoff game. Bevell gets chance after chance. I don’t get it . They are sqandering the window of opportunity .
I was cautiously optimistic about Walsh but clearly he was the straw that broke the camels back. He will never kick again .

I think you should change that word I highlighted to a past tense...
idhawkman
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum