College Players to Watch

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

College Players to Watch

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:34 am

Since I'm going to have Saturdays off this fall, I thought I'd brush up on what players going into the 2017 college football season might end up being first round draft picks in 2018. Here's a couple of links to get us acquainted with some of the names and schools they play for:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 17-nos-110

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl ... spartanntp

It's interesting to note that there are a couple of quarterbacks listed in the top 40 players that play for in state schools: Luke Falk from WSU and Jake Browning out of Udub. USC's QB Sam Darnold, only a sophomore and just 20 years old, is getting a lot of attention.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: College Players to Watch

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:20 am

I really like College Football. It's a fun game to watch and with relatively no skin in the game it's easy to enjoy while playing amateur GM.
My problem with playing GM is trying to figure out who might be available in the last part of the 1st round and maybe 2nd round talent. I usually take my queue from media perceptions then do some research.
One RB not mentioned in either article is Nick Chubb from Georgia. If he has fully recovered from his knee injury of 2015, he might be a big surprise on draft day - or maybe a sleeper pick.
I like seeing a lot of QBs listed since we don't need one, it pushes players down to us that may well be better talents than the draft would indicate.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 am

Kentucky S Mike Edwards is a guy I'll be keeping an eye on. 6' 200lbs ... 100 tackle last year as a soph (I think) ... hereabouts they refer to him as "Kentucky's Honey Badger".
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:39 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Kentucky S Mike Edwards is a guy I'll be keeping an eye on. 6' 200lbs ... 100 tackle last year as a soph (I think) ... hereabouts they refer to him as "Kentucky's Honey Badger".

Thanks Bob. Someone to keep in mind when Kentucky is on TV.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:09 am

Other than OL, I'm going to look for LB's that might fit.
We have a couple of vets signed as backups, but 2 years from now KJ (UFA in 2019) and Wags will have a lot more mileage on them so an injection of youth might be required.
That would give a young guy a year to learn before really competing for a spot. Same with CB as Sherm is a UFA in 2019 along with ET.
It's going to be tough to re-sign all 3 along with Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett that year so some spots will be opening up.
Best guess is one of the LBs and maybe Sherm won't be here in 2019. How beat up ET is looks like it could be a deciding factor for him, too.
I always look for Edge rushers and Cliff Avril's contract is up after 2018 as well, but he has said in the past he only wanted to play for 10 years and that would be 10 for him.

Lots of positions to look at and getting players who can play sparingly for a year then become solid starters would be ideal. I hope it works out.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum