McDowell in ATV accident

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: McDowell in ATV accident

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:29 pm

mykc14 wrote:I don't really mind our draft strategy, in fact I really like it. We have consistently been picking at the end of round 1. The talent/potential of players drafted 20-40 is pretty similar. We feel like we can get the same type of player early in round 2 as we would have picked late round 1. We gather more picks which we use to target specific players later in the draft. A perfect example of this was Tyler Lockett a few years ago. Last year we moved down to draft Ifedi (a player they probably would have drafted in their original spot) got more picks and then used those picks to move up and get Jarron Reed early in round 2. You may disagree with who they are drafting but the strategy is really solid, IMO.

I understand the logic, but it's not a poker game where success is measured on the value of the chips you collect, it's measured by the quality of contributions the draft choices themselves are making. Over the past few years, I haven't seen players that we've picked up from these trade down moves succeed in any significant degree.

The first 4 or 5 years of this regime was fantastic where we both drafted well (Thomas, Wagner, Sherman, Wilson) made some great trades (Beast), and free agent moves (Bennett, Avril). It just seems to me that we're starting to slip a bit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum